HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Messier Leadership Award

Old
05-31-2007, 12:31 PM
Mike6749

vCash: 500
Messier Leadership Award

Anyone else find it ironic that the guy (Chris Chelios) who refused to shake hands with the Ducks at the end of their series wins a leadership award?

Mike6749 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 12:35 PM
TrustInJarmo*

It's not the Lady Bing Award.

It's the Mark Messier "Leadership" award...there is a reason he doesn't shake hands with the players for a reason...And this year wasn't the first year he has ever done that...Should Chelios other awards not been given out for not shaking hands in the past??

Funny, you didn't bring up the fact how Chelios shook the coaches hands after the series ended...

Mark Messier is one of the greatest players to ever play the game. And he 100% understand what it takes to be a leader and he sees the same thing in Chelios.

Even Lidstrom thinks very highly of Chelios.

TrustInJarmo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 12:45 PM
fcpremix88

vCash: 602
I didn't think anyone ever refused to shake hands... Chelios has lost every single grain of respect I've ever had for him if this is true.

fcpremix88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 12:46 PM
barnburner

Chelios is a great player, and a future HOFer.
He is also devoid of class, and a jerk.
Perfect fit for Detroit...

barnburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 12:47 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiodos View Post
I didn't think anyone ever refused to shake hands... Chelios has lost every single grain of respect I've ever had for him if this is true.
Why?

You don't even care why he didn't shake hands?? Your just going to throw out "Chelios has lost every single grain of respect I've ever had for him if that is true."

Wow, Glad your not a judge.

Last edited by TrustInJarmo*: 05-31-2007 at 01:31 PM.
Old
barnburner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiodos View Post
Oh, it's true. He's done it several times - usually when his team is on the losing end. He is not the only one that's ever done it tho.

Old
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnburner View Post
Chelios is a great player, and a future HOFer.
He is also devoid of class, and a jerk.
Perfect fit for Detroit...
Wow...dont stop there. Tell us more about what a classless organization the Wings have.

Higgy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 12:49 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Oh, it's true. He's done it several times - usually when his team is on the losing end. He is not the only one that's ever done it tho.

Chelios shook the Oilers hands last year.

Also, he did an interview with a Detroit paper this past week saying that he was just emotionally unstable to go through the line this year. What that means, I dont know. He sort of apologized and said it was not meant to be disrespectful to the Ducks.

I will see if I can dig up the interview.

Old
05-31-2007, 12:49 PM
barnburner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4 View Post
Wow...dont stop there. Tell us more about what a classless organization the Wings have.
Everybody already knows...

Old
05-31-2007, 12:50 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Everybody already knows...
Ahh, good cop out. Way to stand firm behind your opinion.

Old
05-31-2007, 12:51 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
I'm a Blues fan...but this type of thinking by most Blues fans makes me sick. To not give a tip of the hat to a team like the Red Wings...people bash Draper, Chelios and everyone else...but yet they would welcome them with open arms if they ever should wear the Blue Note.

The envy is sick.

Old
05-31-2007, 12:53 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
Chelios shook the Oilers hands last year.

Also, he did an interview with a Detroit paper this past week saying that he was just emotionally unstable to go through the line this year. What that means, I dont know. He sort of apologized and said it was not meant to be disrespectful to the Ducks.

I will see if I can dig up the interview.
Found it for you...

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/...f6d67a&k=47308

Chelios didn't even see his family after the game, who came out to California to see him play. He took a cab straight to the airport he was so sick to his stomach about the loss.

Old
05-31-2007, 01:00 PM
barnburner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustInJarmo View Post
I'm a Blues fan...but this type of thinking by most Blues fans makes me sick. To not give a tip of the hat to a team like the Red Wings...people bash Draper, Chelios and everyone else...but yet they would welcome them with open arms if they ever should wear the Blue Note.

The envy is sick.
The idea of Chelios, Maltby, or Draper in a Blue note makes me ill.
It's not a matter of not giving Detroit their respect. They have had a great team for many years.
That doesn't mean that they are not a bunch of jerks.

Old
05-31-2007, 01:04 PM
Mike6749

Too sick to shake hands? Come on, it's not like he's Moises Alou.

Old
05-31-2007, 01:14 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
The idea of Chelios, Maltby, or Draper in a Blue note makes me ill.
It's not a matter of not giving Detroit their respect. They have had a great team for many years.
That doesn't mean that they are not a bunch of jerks.
I'm sure it makes you ill...until he is ACTUALLY wearing a Blue note...than the sheep are going down to 14th and Clark forking over 100 dollar bills for there sweaters.

"A bunch of jerks"??? Are you kidding me. This is HOCKEY..not church.

I have been to every arena in the NHL...but I refuse to go to Tornoto. Do you know why? Because I hate the Toronto Maple Leafs. I lived in LA and was a huge Kings fan before moving to St Louis...Well in the early 1990s the Kings played the Maples Leafs in the playoffs...And in ONE ROUND Craig "Dirty" Muni took a knee to knee shot on our Bob Kudelski to end his playoff run (and basically his career). A few nights later the Maple Leafs Craig Muni AGAIN went after a Kings player, this time Tony Granato...almost took his head off!! Finally he gets suspended...but not before taking out 2 of our players ILLEGALLY.

I move to St Louis in 1992...And in 1996, The Blues are poised for a Cup run under (hated) Keenan. Fuhr is playing his best hockey in the NHL EVER! And in the 1st round we face the Toronto Maple Leafs...Nick Kypros is pushed by Pronger one way while Fuhr is sprawled out on the ice covering a puck...Nick Kypros is pushed one way by Pronger...and Nick DIVES the other way onto Fuhr's knee. Nick Kypros ILLEGALLY took out Fuhr's knee and the Blues hope for a Cup!!!

Add Tie Domi to that list of Maple Leafs who really do take cheap shots year in and year out!! And the Leafs can go to Hell.

The Toronto Maple Leafs never won a Cup in those years or since...but I hate them for illegal dirty hits that cost my teams Cup Runs!

Now, barnburner you bring up ILLEGAL hits that took out your team(s) players for the entire playoffs that plays for Detroit???? Since you have so much hatred for the Red Wings.

Or do you hate them because they "are a bunch of jerks" that took out the Blues TEAM (not players) on there way to a Cup?

Last edited by TrustInJarmo*: 05-31-2007 at 01:28 PM.
Old
05-31-2007, 01:36 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike6749 View Post
Too sick to shake hands? Come on, it's not like he's Moises Alou.
I understand your thinking...it iss what most Blues fans and past Blues people like Quenneville's thinking is. Be a "nice guy" no matter if we lose or if we lose.

My team won 2nd place when I was 10 years old in Hockey...I threw the trophy as hard as I could and destroyed it in front of the other team because I wanted to win and thought we should have won. I didn't even shake there hands.

Was that poor sportsmanship? Maybe...or was it passion to want to WIN every year and not purposly disrespecting the other team.

Something the Blues never showed from 1997 to 2005.

By the way, after I threw my trophy...we won 3 of the next 4 Championships played.

Old
05-31-2007, 01:40 PM
Mike6749

I also agree with your thinking. You can't love to win, you have to hate to lose. But this is the NHL, you have to be a professional at all times. If a player threw the Campbell or Wales trophies on the ice, how would we take it? "Oh he is a strong competitor or wow we better get this guy off the ice before he becomes the next Simon, Bertuzzi, McSorley."

Old
05-31-2007, 01:52 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike6749 View Post
I also agree with your thinking. You can't love to win, you have to hate to lose. But this is the NHL, you have to be a professional at all times. If a player threw the Campbell or Wales trophies on the ice, how would we take it? "Oh he is a strong competitor or wow we better get this guy off the ice before he becomes the next Simon, Bertuzzi, McSorley."
True. But I would love to see "a little" out of the Blues of what Chelios did. I haven't seen a hint of passion in over a decade. Something Quenneville was TERRIBLE at.
And as good as Murray will be for the Blues. I wonder how he will fit this principal into his system.

As much as everyone hated Keenan in St Louis..he had so much sucess pushing this way and wanting his players to think thats all that matters is Winning. (outside of purposly injuring someone)

Keenan did it great with Dave Poulin in Philly on those 2 Cup Finals Runs.
Keenan did it with the Hawks with Dirk Graham & Chelios in there only Cup Run in Decades for Chicago.
And Keenan did it 100% beautifully with Messier in 94.

Murray needs to be very careful on who he names captain when Drake steps down...

Because this type of thiniking has to come from the individual player and more importantly the Captain, to be able to win the Cup. Coaches can push there players to demand more and all of that...but the players they choice have to do it. And the Captain has both the ear of the coach and the players in the locker room. And that is the #1 reason why I don't want Keith Tkachoke back on Blues. Terrible leader for our young Blues players!!

Last edited by TrustInJarmo*: 05-31-2007 at 02:09 PM.
Old
05-31-2007, 01:56 PM
StLooFrenchy

Quote:
Why?

You don't even care why he didn't shake hands?? Your just going to throw out "Chelios has lost every single grain of respect I've ever had for him if that is true."

Wow, Glad your not a judge.
The said award was for "LEADERSHIP", not "POUTING and POOR SPORTSMANSHIP", and that is exactly what Cheli displayed. He might have had a stellar career, but as far as a leader, not just of his team, but of the NHL as a whole, he is totally undeserving. I would use him as an example for my kids how not to act publicly. I don't care why he didn't shake hands, the fact he did not speaks volumes of his weak character.

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 02:03 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLooFrenchy View Post
The said award was for "LEADERSHIP", not "POUTING and POOR SPORTSMANSHIP", and that is exactly what Cheli displayed. He might have had a stellar career, but as far as a leader, not just of his team, but of the NHL as a whole, he is totally undeserving. I would use him as an example for my kids how not to act publicly. I don't care why he didn't shake hands, the fact he did not speaks volumes of his weak character.
He is "totally underserving"?? Wow, is this Joel Quenneville??

The same charcterstics of this guy that didn't shake hands...are the same charcterstics of why he had a "great Career'. It goes hand in hand...The sooner Blues and the fans figure that out...the sooner we will be closer to a Stanley Cup.

I disagree, I would want both my sons to play and act like Chelios, than act and play like a Keith Tkachuck. I would tell both my boys to 100% shake the other teams hands after a loss and tip your hat. And if my son's couldn't do it once or twice in there lifes because they were too mad about losing. Than I would tell them I understand...but next time to shake there hands and take that frustruation in your off season training to come back and win next year.

Your a bigger role model to your son in the long run than Chelios or anyone else that plays on t.v. So don't play that card.

Last edited by TrustInJarmo*: 05-31-2007 at 02:11 PM.
Old
05-31-2007, 02:10 PM
StLooFrenchy

Quote:
He is "totally underserving"?? Wow, is this Joel Quenneville??

The same charcterstics of this guy that didn't shake hands...are the same charcterstics of why he had a "great Career'. It goes hand in hand...The sooner Blues and the fans figure that out...the sooner we will be closer to a Stanley Cup.

I disagree, I would want both my sons to play like Chelios, than play like a Keith Tkachuck. I would tell both my boys to 100% shake the other teams hands after a loss and tip your hat. And if my son's couldn't do it once or twice in there lifes because they were too mad about losing. Than I would tell them I understand...but next time to shake there hands and take that frustruation in your off season training to come back and win next year.

Your a bigger role model to your son n the long run than Chelios or anyone else that plays on t.v. So don't play that card on Chelios.
I will agree that when a CHILD does not shake hands after a defeat that it can be excused; once. When an adult, veteran player does it on a world stage it is inexcuseable. I too would love my sons to play with the heart that Chelios has, but in the end, if you taste defeat, and everybody does at one point, you have to be a MAN about it. The shake line is one of the oldest traditions in hockey, it is one of the things that seperate it from other sports. To dis it is to dis hockey and its fans.

Old
05-31-2007, 02:14 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLooFrenchy View Post
I will agree that when a CHILD does not shake hands after a defeat that it can be excused; once. When an adult, veteran player does it on a world stage it is inexcuseable. I too would love my sons to play with the heart that Chelios has, but in the end, if you taste defeat, and everybody does at one point, you have to be a MAN about it. The shake line is one of the oldest traditions in hockey, it is one of the things that seperate it from other sports. To dis it is to dis hockey and its fans.
I still disagree. And if you are goinig to hate Chelios...than you will have to hate the many others that didn't shake hands to end a series.

Chelios is not the first...nor will he be the last to do this.

And to have a cousin of Chelios fly in from Chicago on his own dime to California to watch him play...and Chelios not even say hi after the game and taking a cab straight to the airport....I think speaks volumes on Chelios not trying to disrespect the Ducks.

Old
05-31-2007, 02:35 PM
StLooFrenchy

Quote:
I still disagree. And if you are goinig to hate Chelios...than you will have to hate the many others that didn't shake hands to end a series.

Chelios is not the first...nor will he be the last to do this.

And to have a cousin of Chelios fly in from Chicago on his own dime to California to watch him play...and Chelios not even say hi after the game and taking a cab straight to the airport....I think speaks volumes on Chelios not trying to disrespect the Ducks.
Whoa, Tiger! I never said I hate Chelli, I think he acted poorly. That's all. I think he is a whiner, a cheap-shot artist, a diver, and now, a spoil-sport. I never said that I personnally harbor a hatred for him, and I can respect his great career. Again, in these play-offs, he acted out of line.

PS....I understand what you say about the Blues emulating his spirit; nice guys finish last, eh. I wouild like to see a little mean in their eyes as well.

Old
05-31-2007, 03:27 PM
CuSa_1

Quote:
I'm sure it makes you ill...until he is ACTUALLY wearing a Blue note...than the sheep are going down to 14th and Clark forking over 100 dollar bills for there sweaters.

"A bunch of jerks"??? Are you kidding me. This is HOCKEY..not church.

I have been to every arena in the NHL...but I refuse to go to Tornoto. Do you know why? Because I hate the Toronto Maple Leafs. I lived in LA and was a huge Kings fan before moving to St Louis
Your double standard is sickening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustInJarmo
And the Leafs can go to Hell.
This is hockey, not church.

CuSa_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 03:34 PM
barnburner

Quote:
Not me. There are certain players in the nhl that if they came to the Blues - I would never attend another game until they left - i.e. - Chelios, Maltby, Bertuzzi, Lindros, Nolan, Yashin, etc.
Some things are more important than winning.