HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gomez wants to come to Ottawa?

Old
05-16-2007, 03:26 PM
NyQuil
Can't Play Defence

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mounties99 View Post
You mean our shutdown centreman? That guy? I disagree.
The reason he was a "shutdown" centreman is because he was so slow going into the offensive zone that he never got caught deep.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 03:27 PM
Masterplan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by moz View Post
Gomez for 3.5? Montreal will offer him 6.
I believe (but could be wrong, it's happened once or twice) before his arbitration he was looking around 4 mil, and the arbitor was the one who awarded him 5.....

Masterplan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 03:27 PM
moz
Gute Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocioJoe View Post
At Least We'd Fix Our 2nd Line Centre Problem
Cooooooooooooomrie, a guy we can actually sign for 3-3.5.

edit:
Quote:
I believe (but could be wrong, it's happened once or twice) before his arbitration he was looking around 4 mil, and the arbitor was the one who awarded him 5.....
So he was looking for 4 as an RFA, and you think he'll ask for less as a UFA? He didn't have the greatest regular season but he's coming off a decent playoff and there are some teams that are seriously desperate for a #1 centre. Ottawa isn't one of those teams.

05-16-2007, 03:28 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy G Biv View Post
If we see playoff Corvo all year next year, I might agree with you.
Preissings numbers match up quite well but Corvo is better at carrying the puck perhaps the best Sens defenseman I have ever seen at carrying the puck. This is why I keep him over Preissing.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 03:51 PM
IranCondraAffair

Corvo and Preissing really do ahve a different "game" Preissing is more like "Diet Redden"

Man, what I wouldn't give for a "Diet Lidstrom""

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 04:06 PM
heatley_fan*

Gomez is too soft, look what Ottawa did to him

heatley_fan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 04:16 PM
robovaive

Quote:
Isn't Fisher your 2nd line centre? Or is Comrie there and Fisher on the wing?

Doesn't seem like too bad of a problem to have, either way.

robovaive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 04:26 PM
IranCondraAffair

Quote:
Originally Posted by robovaive View Post
Isn't Fisher your 2nd line centre? Or is Comrie there and Fisher on the wing?

Doesn't seem like too bad of a problem to have, either way.

Comrie is gone next year barring a cup win, a Gerber trade, and a discount effort on his part. I'm sorry to say it, since he's been terrific for us, but there is a cap and we can't afford him.

Meanwhile Fisher has never been a tradional 2nd line scoring centre, and although great, he's always been considered a 3rd line centre with some "pizaz". Further complicating his situation is the fact his contract expires at the same time as Spezza, Heatley and Redden so again, unless there's some unforseen circumsatnces occur he too will probably be gone by the start of the '09 season.

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 04:27 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by gampy View Post
I would love to see Gomez in an Ottawa uniform. Shaefer, Eaves, and Kelly would free up more than enough to get him. Put Fisher on the 3rd line (where he would do more damage, I think), and Gomez on the 2nd with Vermette and Saprykin.

I say keep the defense we have now at all costs.

Those 3 forwards I mentioned are great players, but not as good as Gomez. Ottawa would eb truly dangerous with this configuration:

Alfie-Spez-Heater

Vermette-Gomez-Saprykin

Neil-Fisher-Schubert

???-McAmmmond-???

What do you guys think?
Getting rid of Kelly and Eaves who are very cheap cap wise is idiotic if you want to have a good team. You get rid of high priced players to free Cap room not cheap ones.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 04:29 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
What problem? Seriously!

Old
05-16-2007, 04:31 PM
Lexicon Devil

This is the kind of loser thread i'd expect on a team's board that had nothing to talk about for five months - not a team one game away from the stanley cup finals.

Lexicon Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 04:39 PM
discostu

Are people giving this seriuos thought? I saw Eklund, and, figured that's what the voices in his head told him. There are so many reasons why this wouldn't work, that it isn't worth giving much thought:

-Gomez is a top 10 centre on most people's lists in the NHL. He won't be had cheap. He solves our second line centre problem, because he's much better than a second line centre..

-He's playing for the Devils, which seems to inspire a great deal of loyalty, and gives its players an ability to compete for the cup every year. There aren't too many reasons for someone to leave.

-The biggest reason is money. If that's the reason, Ottawa is out of the picture, because it will cost us one of our superstars a year from now.

-There are other reasons to leave. A guy like Niedermeyer did so, but, that was because he wanted to play with his brother. The only simiarly type of reason I could see Gomez leaving is because of proximity to his home town. Ottawa is not drastically closer to Alaska, from what I am aware, so, I fail to see how you could motivate him that way.

-According to Eklund's site (yes, the continued presence of this thread made me actually look what he wrote) says that he became impressed with Ottawa based on the excitement from our crowd. Do you really think a long time veteran, and a guy who has played a lot of playoff games, in a lot of pumped up markets, would make such a big decision based on the crowd noise from two games he played here in teh spring.

It's Eklund. This is the guy that strives for the credibilty of a Bruce Garrioch. I think people are giving it some additional thought because they'd like for it to be true. That's how Eklund stays in business. Would anyone here believe him in the slightest if he reported that Heatley is looking to sign in New Jersey next year, because he wants to play with a good goaltender? It has about the same amount of rationality behind it.

discostu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 05:14 PM
SelleckStache

vCash: 5000
I vote banning any links to his site. I mean really, it's just spam.
I will never read his trash again (B5).

SelleckStache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 05:35 PM
V4D3R

I wouldn't take him because Heater's gonna get around 6-7 million if Muckler signs him which I'm sure he will. Mucks better think of that first.

V4D3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 05:40 PM
guyincognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by gampy View Post
I would love to see Gomez in an Ottawa uniform. Shaefer, Eaves, and Kelly would free up more than enough to get him. Put Fisher on the 3rd line (where he would do more damage, I think), and Gomez on the 2nd with Vermette and Saprykin.

I say keep the defense we have now at all costs.

Those 3 forwards I mentioned are great players, but not as good as Gomez. Ottawa would eb truly dangerous with this configuration:

Alfie-Spez-Heater

Vermette-Gomez-Saprykin

Neil-Fisher-Schubert

???-McAmmmond-???

What do you guys think?

LOL, you're paying $6-6.5 million for a second line (on your team) playmaking center, putting him with those players, and you think that's dangerous? Dangerous to your future success, perhaps.

guyincognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 07:48 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
no way gomez gets under 6. especially with his strong playoff performance.

best for ottawa to re-sign comrie and preissing and saprykin

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2007, 08:44 AM
mounties99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
The reason he was a "shutdown" centreman is because he was so slow going into the offensive zone that he never got caught deep.
And was still able to get a 65 point season as a Senator. I liked the guy, and my only beef with him was that he wasn't physical enough. He was a loyal Senator for 10 years and was turning out to be a pretty good player before we moved him to where talent goes to die that is Montreal.

mounties99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2007, 08:48 AM
mounties99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
Are people giving this seriuos thought? I saw Eklund, and, figured that's what the voices in his head told him. There are so many reasons why this wouldn't work, that it isn't worth giving much thought:

-Gomez is a top 10 centre on most people's lists in the NHL. He won't be had cheap. He solves our second line centre problem, because he's much better than a second line centre..
Sid the kid
Vinny L
Jason Spezza
Joe Sakic
Peter Forsberg
Joe Thornton
Datsyuk
Briere
Richards
Staal
Elias
Marleau
Sundin
Jokinen

Those are just the ones off the top of my head that I'd rank before Gomez in the very subjective "top 10 centremen" list. He's top 20, definitely but not top 10.

mounties99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2007, 09:07 AM
Heatley4Hart*

I would hate to lose both Preissing and Redden back to back seasons. They are similar and I like Preissing at his current or potential price range better. But the only way he gets 20+ mins a nig is if a top 4 guys is gone. Depending on what happens here and if we win teh cup or not and how he factors in, this summer might be the time to eliviate that 6.5 mill and replace him with Preissing @ 2.5. That would give us the 4 million we need to give Heater a 1-1.5 mill raise and same with Spezz in a longer term contract plus give the other mill to Emery. See this doesn't even include the albatros that is Gerber. We need to do something there if not willing to buy it out because there is no way I am going to lose a Preissing let alone Heatley and those guys for a 4 million back-up.

Gomez is not coming here. Good player but we got our own to sign like Fisher too in the next 2 years.

Heatley4Hart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2007, 09:59 AM
salomonster

Quote:
"I'd also like a toilet made out of solid gold, but it's just not in the cards now is it."
That's hillarious.

salomonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2007, 10:15 AM
Slippy

Quote:
Sid the kid
Vinny L
Jason Spezza
Joe Sakic
Peter Forsberg
Joe Thornton
Datsyuk
Briere
Richards
Staal
Elias
Marleau
Sundin
Jokinen

Those are just the ones off the top of my head that I'd rank before Gomez in the very subjective "top 10 centremen" list. He's top 20, definitely but not top 10.
Gomez was his centreman wasn't he? The EGG line, so wouldn't he be a winger then?

Slippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2007, 10:23 AM
NyQuil
Can't Play Defence

Quote:
He was a loyal Senator for 10 years and was turning out to be a pretty good player before we moved him to where talent goes to die that is Montreal.
I think his experience in Montreal showed how playing with Hossa for basically your entire tenure in Ottawa can make you look good.

But hey, agree to disagree I guess.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2007, 10:31 AM
discostu

Quote:
Sid the kid
Vinny L
Jason Spezza
Joe Sakic
Peter Forsberg
Joe Thornton
Datsyuk
Briere
Richards
Staal
Elias
Marleau
Sundin
Jokinen

I said "most", and, any time you see a list of top 10 centres thread around these boards, he certainly gets mention in his fair share. It's subjective, I realize, but, he's a great playmaker, behind guys like Crosby, Thornton and Spezza, but, not too many else. He's a solid two way player, coming out of the Jersey system, and, most importantly has a strong playoff record, that includes two cup rings.

Whereever you happen to rank him though, my point still remains, he's a highly sought after player. He's spent years being the number one centre on a competitive team, and, is in his prime. He's not coming cheap.

discostu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2007, 10:35 AM
DevilBesideYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
Gomez was his centreman wasn't he? The EGG line, so wouldn't he be a winger then?
Yes, but Patty's played center before, and I think nhl.com still lists him as a center.

DevilBesideYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2007, 10:41 AM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
I said "most", and, any time you see a list of top 10 centres thread around these boards, he certainly gets mention in his fair share. It's subjective, I realize, but, he's a great playmaker, behind guys like Crosby, Thornton and Spezza, but, not too many else. He's a solid two way player, coming out of the Jersey system, and, most importantly has a strong playoff record, that includes two cup rings.

Whereever you happen to rank him though, my point still remains, he's a highly sought after player. He's spent years being the number one centre on a competitive team, and, is in his prime. He's not coming cheap.
The Sens need none of these 3 players but of Briere, Drury and Gomez I think Gomez is the better player. He is going to get a very sweet 4 or 5 year deal at at least $5 million a year and most likely $6 or $6.25 a season. With 3 top 10 NHL Forwards in Spezza, Heatley and Alfie why the Sens would even consider needing Gomez at the price he will get is crazy.