HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers vs Flames Gameday Thread!!!

Closed Thread

Old
12-23-2003, 08:02 PM
LawnDemon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESFAN
I don't know what you guys thought.....
But that game was ugly, ugly,ugly.
Very sloppy effort by both teams. Good thing Calgary got a couple in the first, cause they looked like crap for the rest. Calgary looked like they were skatingi n sand...............
the flames found a way to win even though they were outplayed. good for them. sutter is a good coach and has the team playing confident hockey.

i wish edmonton could find a way to win when they manage to outplay the opposition - never mind when they are outplayed themselves.

Old
12-23-2003, 08:22 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

The Flames all night won battles for the puck. I felt the Oil with the exception of Smith didn't match up well physically. Smith had an excellent game playing tough, physical hockey. A bit undisciplined at times but heart, soul, and character which seemed lacking in most of the lineup. Thought Staios had a very poor game tonight. He cannot hit the net with his point shot.

Edmonton misses Moreau in games like this. Tough, honest hockey is required against this never quit Flames team. At one point during the game, Donovan wheeled around everyone and kept the puck on a string as if playing with pee-wees.

On the plus side, I really, really liked Bergeron's game tonight. Got caught on the second goal but he is a very dynamic and confident guy with the puck and has a blistering one-timer. Bergy is getting better in every game. He and Semenov are in the line-up to stay.

Beyond losing the physical battles, it is evident this Oiler team does not have any quality finishers. They simply cannot bury chances. Lots of great skaters but no one you can look to for clutch goalscoring. The Oil had thirty shots on net but not alot of quality chances. It is time to give Rita his shot. Educating Rita was required with this season's banishment to Toronto. Down on the farm, Rita has shown the consistency required to play at the NHL level and now deserves his shot.

The slump continues but amazingly we are just six (?) points out of a playoff berth. And that inspires (faint) hope for the New Year.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Old
12-23-2003, 08:48 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Laraque

What happened with Laraque.

12-23-2003, 08:52 PM
Silver

It's time to cut Salo loose. Send him to the farm, bring up Valiquette, and ride Conklin. Otherwise we can forget the playoffs. He's pretty much on Irbe's level right now. Do we have an ECHL affiliate?

I know we only scored one goal, but lets be honest, the Flames should have had more than 2. If Salo doesn't have 4 horseshoes up his butt, half of those shots off the post go in, likewise that glove save he messed up in the first.

Brewer is still playing well, I'm liking his game this year. He's got just a touch of a mean streak lately, and I think he plays better that way. Nice to see Smith go after Gauthier tonight as well...he was really throwing around his body in the first too.

The rest of the team...bleck. They need to figure out a way to have emotion for more than 5 minutes a game.

Old
12-23-2003, 08:57 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky83
One word to describe his play. "Invisible."

Old
12-23-2003, 09:24 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

One goal.........wow, we are some kind of offensive power these days.

How bout that defence? Isn't it grand!

Hey remember when we were winning and teams were scoring 3 against us and everyone complained even though we were scoring 5 and winning?

Remember when people tried to claim we had scoring depth but a small group said not enough?

This stretch is so pathetic I wanna throw up.........

Old
12-23-2003, 09:32 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Hate to double post, but here's one reason we can't score in games like these, check out the ice-time numbers, especially EV

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=231223003

No clue how to run a bench.

Old
12-23-2003, 09:37 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOZ
Am I to expect these snotty posts from now on? Yes, I disagree with you on the coaching. Try to be an adult about it.
I wasn't talking about coaching. I was talking about somebody stating something already very obvious......or talking down to us.....however it was supposed to be interpreted.

You strolled in.

Old
12-24-2003, 01:29 AM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky83
invisible since he only played 2:39 EV in the whole game.

you guys want another posotive:
PLAYER - FOT - FOW - FOL - FO%
Oates - 22 - 13 - 9 - 59%
York - 10 - 5 - 5 - 50%
Horcoff - 24 - 13 - 11 - 54%
Stoll - 7 - 5 - 2 - 71%

we are improving there. the only problem now is goalie and the inability to score.

Old
12-24-2003, 01:55 AM
Yanner39

Only saw highlights guys. Funny, I got the Centre Ice package but these days, I don't feel like watchng the OIlers almost score for most of the game, and I don't see it as a moral victory anymore when they break the shut out.

I think listing positives can be somewhat useless since it won't get this team in the playoffs and at this point, theu don't see to be building on them.

As far as blaming Salo, well don't think is right in a game where the offense scores only once. That being said, the goal where he was sprawled out on the ice, that's the second time since he's been back from injury that he's been caught out of position like that. The thing is, I just don't know what he's trying to do.

Old
12-24-2003, 05:27 AM
Obsessed

Im so ashamed...

Why Dammit Why!!!

Old
12-24-2003, 06:03 AM
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
Only saw highlights guys. Funny, I got the Centre Ice package but these days, I don't feel like watchng the OIlers almost score for most of the game, and I don't see it as a moral victory anymore when they break the shut out.

I think listing positives can be somewhat useless since it won't get this team in the playoffs and at this point, theu don't see to be building on them.

As far as blaming Salo, well don't think is right in a game where the offense scores only once. That being said, the goal where he was sprawled out on the ice, that's the second time since he's been back from injury that he's been caught out of position like that. The thing is, I just don't know what he's trying to do.
You had to see the whole game. To call him shaky would be very charitable.

Old
12-24-2003, 06:48 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
You had to see the whole game. To call him shaky would be very charitable.
Yeah, I've read a few other posts abouyt his performance and they didn't inspire any confidence.

Old
12-24-2003, 07:48 AM
Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
Yeah, I've read a few other posts abouyt his performance and they didn't inspire any confidence.

When you only score 1 goal it really isn't much use worrying about your goaltending.

In Salo's defence he had defenceman laying on him for both goals.

GOD I HATE THE FLAMES!!

Torres misses and open net to send this game into overtime and give us the point we deserved.

Old
12-24-2003, 11:18 AM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsessed
Torres misses and open net to send this game into overtime and give us the point we deserved.
Not to nitpick.. but you just have to nitpick a Flames' fan or someone posing as one. :p

It was York that missed the chance as he had an open net and shot into the pile of bodies in front of the net... Had he moved around a bit with the shot, it would have been smooth sailing.

Old
12-26-2003, 10:29 PM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by noname_brand
Jason Smith pushes Donvan into Salo and SMITH GETS A PENALTY.
Wow... I can't seem to understand why...

Closed Thread