HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Flyers re-sign Kukkonen and sign 2004 pick Laliberte

Old
05-17-2007, 02:28 PM
houtan99

vCash: 500
Flyers re-sign Kukkonen and sign 2004 pick Laliberte

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=7590

Kukkonen gets a 2-year deal.

Laliberte gets entry 3-year deal.

houtan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2007, 03:29 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by houtan99 View Post
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=7590

Kukkonen gets a 2-year deal.

Laliberte gets entry 3-year deal.
I am very happy!! I am very sad that it is only 2 year deal for Kukkonen.. I would give him more. I love this guy, he plays well!!!

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2007, 08:20 AM
flannelman
quixotic fox!

vCash: 50
is Kukkone (spelling?) getting 1.75 per year? I just haven't seen/heard much on this kid to warrant that type of a salary. Details, please?

flannelman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2007, 08:31 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by flannelman View Post
is Kukkone (spelling?) getting 1.75 per year? I just haven't seen/heard much on this kid to warrant that type of a salary. Details, please?
1.75 for 2 years. Silver Olympics for team Finland, good 1st NHL season, played well in 2007 WC silver medal. Shot blocking machine.

Old
05-18-2007, 08:35 AM
flannelman
quixotic fox!

You guys do have some good young kids now. Good luck with next season. And thanks for the info.

flannelman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2007, 02:25 AM
ck26
Free Raptor Reagan

vCash: 297
Isn't Kukkonen 25 or 26 and just now finishing his 1st full season? He's a better skater than Hatcher or Pitkanen, but what's so great about him? Why has he taken so long to finally break onto the scene?

ck26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2007, 04:44 AM
Zim

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonking View Post
Isn't Kukkonen 25 or 26 and just now finishing his 1st full season? He's a better skater than Hatcher or Pitkanen, but what's so great about him? Why has he taken so long to finally break onto the scene?
When he was with Chicago he came over as a 21-22 year old and didn't get on all that well so he went back to Finland for a few years. Then the Hawks tempted him to come back over to the NHL but only when they offered him a 1-way deal. On a playoff team he is at best a good number 5 d-man. I was a bit sad to see Chicago let him go but they basically have a younger, more physical version of him in James Wisniewski.

Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2007, 04:56 AM
mattihp

Quote:
People want more offense from a guy his size, while he is a very smart decently physical and positionally great defenseman who skates well, he doesn't provide much offense.

Always one of the last guys to give up. As much heart as there can be.

In the New NHL we'll see more of his kind of defensive defensemen, playing the game with extreme smarts and good skating. Never getting out of position.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2007, 05:19 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
I am very happy!! I am very sad that it is only 2 year deal for Kukkonen.. I would give him more. I love this guy, he plays well!!!
If he plays like at World championship he will be your worst nightmare.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2007, 05:32 AM
Faktisti*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
actually he was our best d-man along with nummelin

Faktisti* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2007, 07:48 AM
mattihp

Quote:
O_o

He was brilliant in the world champs!

Old
05-28-2007, 08:31 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
If he routinely plays like he did for the Flyers last year, he'll be a dream come true.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2007, 09:05 AM
teme

Quote:
Because he is not big, fast or highly skilled. But he has excellent hockey sense, works hard, and plays his best game when stakes are high. The usual overlooked qualities in a defenceman. If he had more natural ability, he'd be a super star, I am particullary impressed by how well he picks his spots to join the offence. Given his limitations, he is just a very solid defenceman and should have a fine career as a second pairing guy.

teme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2007, 12:40 PM
MojoJojo

Quote:
2 full NHL seasons, will be a UFA after this contract. No way he skates better than Pitkanen (who is among the very best skating defensemen in the league), and saying he skates better than Hatcher is sorta meaningless, since Hatcher is one of if not the worst skater in the entire NHL.

Kukkonen is rock solid, smart defensive defenseman. Not big or physical, not fast, and very little offensive upside, but has an absolutely sick takeaway to giveaway ratio for us last season. He just won battle after battle for the puck, played hard and blocked shots. Very happy with this signing.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2007, 06:20 PM
Zim

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo View Post
2 full NHL seasons, will be a UFA after this contract. No way he skates better than Pitkanen (who is among the very best skating defensemen in the league), and saying he skates better than Hatcher is sorta meaningless, since Hatcher is one of if not the worst skater in the entire NHL.

Kukkonen is rock solid, smart defensive defenseman. Not big or physical, not fast, and very little offensive upside, but has an absolutely sick takeaway to giveaway ratio for us last season. He just won battle after battle for the puck, played hard and blocked shots. Very happy with this signing.
Errr Kukkonen has played 84 career NHL games and 74 of them were this year. I wouldn't count a 10 game stint in the NHL as a 22 year old as a full year.

Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2007, 08:07 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuiskaaja View Post
actually he was our best d-man along with nummelin
Not.. He was playing like a forward and he's defenseman. He couldn't finish any of his great scoring chances and forgot to play defense at times.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2007, 04:18 AM
mattihp

Quote:
Not.. He was playing like a forward and he's defenseman. He couldn't finish any of his great scoring chances and forgot to play defense at times.
I don't think you watched the right Kukkonen You might have made another one up and watched that one instead.

At times he was out there as a forward on the PP. But that's about it.

Old
05-29-2007, 08:17 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Did you even watch WC? I mean seriously.

P.S Kukkonen is not here to score goal. He plays D. He blocks shots and IMO he will get more physical on blue line.
Quote:
Not too many players skate faster then Pitkanen. Who said Kukkonen is great? He is a good player to have on blue line. Gives up everything to block a shot, moves the puck well, team player. I love fans who go check out stats come back and express their opinion on a player they never saw.