HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should Bondra and Kolzig #'s be retired

Old
05-18-2007, 08:32 PM
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president

vCash: 50
Should Bondra and Kolzig #'s be retired

Should they be retired, i think so Bondra has the most points by a cap and Kolzig has played with us for his entire carrer.

The only thing bad with retireing bondra's number is i wear # 12 so when i play for the caps i couldn't wear it.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2007, 09:16 PM
Jasper17

vCash: 500
These is no doubt in my mind both should have their #'s retired. Kolzig is right there with Hunter and Langway as one of the greatest Caps of all time. Not sure how or why anyone would argue against having him # retired.

Bondra will have some people vote against him because of the way his career with the Caps ended. But personally I don't blame him at all for what he did. And even if you didn't like the way it went down, i think people need to remember that the guy is a Capitals legend. Easily one of the top 3 best forwards this team has ever had and was one of the best goal scorers of his era. The guy averaged .52 goals per game from 92-2002, an era where scoring was down in the NHL.

IMO, no question both should have their #'s retired. Olie is a no doubter, Bondra is prob 60/40 because of the way his Caps career ended. Or I should say, because of what happened after the Caps ended his Caps career.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2007, 11:56 PM
The Viking Fury

Eventually yes. Kolzig will have his retired way before Bondra, and Gartner will too probably.

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2007, 11:59 PM
TempusFugit

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viking Fury View Post
Eventually yes. Kolzig will have his retired way before Bondra, and Gartner will too probably.
Gartner? Why? A few have worn his #11 since then, notably Jeff Halpern. I don't see it happening

TempusFugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 12:15 AM
The Viking Fury

If I remember correctly, it was all set to go down and fell through at the last minute a few years ago.

Hell they gave Bondra's number to Friesen last season until he decided to change it

Old
05-19-2007, 12:26 AM
TempusFugit

I remember a few years ago there were multiple threads on the OBs about retiring numbers. People were coming up with all kinds of ridiculous suggestions, as to who should be retired. I suggested Shawn Simpson's #30 myself. He played 0 games for the team and only donned a Caps jersey as the backup for one period of one playoff game. It made as much sense as some of the others. For myself: I say retire as few numbers as possible. Unless the guy was a career team member and made SIGNIFICANT contributions to your team's success, then don't do it. Gartner was a playoff choke artist and finished his career elsewhere. Save #11 for someone else

Old
05-19-2007, 12:33 AM
The Viking Fury

I emailed Ted during the firesale season to ask if there were any plans to honor Juneau because he was retiring. I wasn't expecting a number retirement, but I figured at least a video montage or something at the start of the next season might be appropriate. He did score one of the greatest goals in Caps history.

People were calling for Calle Jo's number ot be retired, Oates too I think. You're right it was a littel out of hand, but it was the firesale/lockout. Its not like we/they had a lot to be happy about even after we got ovechkin.

Old
05-19-2007, 12:38 PM
Gumby

I lean towards really high standards for retiring #'s. Either a guy is a HOF canidate or is Mr. "insert team", and is a big factor in leadership, and spends, if not his entire career, a very large portion with that team, while being at the very least a fringe all-star caliber player.

I say Olie yes, Bondra no.....and for god's sake take down Labre's # (maybe I just started following them too late or somethin, but from what I know it's pretty embarrasing to have him with the likes of Hunter and Langway).

Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 04:55 PM
Foy

Olie maybe, Bondra no.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 05:35 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
Olie maybe, Bondra no.
Ditto.

If Olie delivers a cup in his remaining playing years, then definitely Olie

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 05:38 PM
Devil Dancer

Yes to both. BIG yes to Bondra.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 07:40 PM
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president

Kolzig was voted in a recent poll the best player to play for the caps, Bondra was voted # 2 by like 14 votes or something. They both deserve there jersey's retired.

Old
05-19-2007, 08:02 PM
Geogaddi

I say yes to both. Besides what happened with Bondra and the Caps at the end, he still was the face of the Franchise for quite some time.

but i can see Bondra's Number going up before Kolzig's

Geogaddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2007, 09:04 AM
malyk

Yes to both.

And bondra not playing for the caps was not his fault. It's where he wanted to be. Management didn't agree, so don't blame him.

The best goalie and the all time leading scorer...how could you not retire them?

malyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2007, 11:04 AM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by malyk View Post
Yes to both.

And bondra not playing for the caps was not his fault. It's where he wanted to be. Management didn't agree, so don't blame him.

The best goalie and the all time leading scorer...how could you not retire them?
exactly, everyone talks about how Bondra didn't resign with the Caps. But it seems no one wants to talk about how the Caps traded him even though he didn't want to go.

Bondra wanted to spend his entire career with the Caps, it was the org that decided that was not the way to go.

Old
05-20-2007, 11:52 AM
Gumby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japser17 View Post
exactly, everyone talks about how Bondra didn't resign with the Caps. But it seems no one wants to talk about how the Caps traded him even though he didn't want to go.

Bondra wanted to spend his entire career with the Caps, it was the org that decided that was not the way to go.
Bondra's exit really has nothing to do with my opinion on this. Given that he really never had any big--time talent around him to show anything else the only thing we got to see was basically a one-trick pony. it's unfortunate that Abe was a cheap ******* and never got anyone around him so he could show any different, but it is was it is and he did what he did.

Malyk: Bondra has been the only player with any real offensive talent to stay with the team any real length of time, thus he basically has those records by default....put those #'s on pretty much any other team that's been around longer than 15-20 years and it's a much different story.

I really don't want to get into this again. Some people want to retire #'s left and right and some only want HOF'ers. Granted on that spectrum I fall towards the stricter requirements I understand the other side of it.

Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2007, 09:02 AM
HockeyCritter

No to both --- unless Olie wins a championship with the Caps (then yes for him).

A number should be retired for reasons other than sentimental …… what happens when some player comes along and breaks all of Bondra’s or Kolzig’s records? Do we retire their numbers as well? At that rate, the Caps will quickly run out of numbers.

Find a way to honor those players in a way other than retiring their numbers.

HockeyCritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2007, 09:57 AM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 878
Send a message via MSN to usiel
Kolzig maybe... Bondra no. And for the record Bondra was my favorite cap for all the years he was with the team and his jersey is the only one I own.

05-21-2007, 11:44 AM
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japser17 View Post

It's not that bondra didn't want to sign with us. One of my friends E-mailed Ted the owner and asked abouth signing Bondra so he could finish his carrer with us and Ted wrote back saying We are getting younger not older. It wasn't Bondra's fault.

Old
05-21-2007, 05:07 PM
PSUhockey34

If I remember correctly Bonzai wanted a no trade clause and McPhee wouldn't do it

what happened during contract talks with Bonzai doesn't overshadow what he's done for the organization IMO and it's not like he went to ATL for more guaranteed money then what the Capitals' were offering...Bondra being traded in the first place was from a business standpoint just as Bondra not finishing things out in DC was...he might not have wanted to be traded but it's not like he had to stick it out in ottawa for a few more seasons so I don't buy that excuse at all, if anything he should've been happy to have gotten a chance at that type of situation, it's not like the Capitals' were all about winning at that point in the season anyways

its 50/50 whether or not #12 is hanging from the rafters

Last edited by PSUhockey34: 05-21-2007 at 05:14 PM.
PSUhockey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2007, 05:31 PM
malyk

Bondra got traded.
After the season he got an offer from atlanta and the caps wouldn't match it (and insulted him by significantly lowballing him).
This year he wanted to play for the caps for very little money, but McPhee wouldn't take him because the caps were getting younger*.

I didn't follow the coverage from the papers, but I know that's about how it went down.

* - as if a guy like bondra couldn't have been a great mentor to a few of the young players. It's incredible the caps wouldn't want that kind of guy back. Un-f'ing-believable.

malyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2007, 06:26 PM
TempusFugit

I think you're completely wrong about that situation malyk. My memory of the situation is that the Caps offered Bondra $1.5 mill for one year. Bondra's counteroffer was two years and (perhaps) an NTC (memory is hazy on that point). McPhee then withdrew the offer and Bondra had to sign with Atlanta for significantly less just to be able to play hockey anywhere in the NHL. I remember feeling shame for Bondra because he was one of the great players the organization ever had and basically humiliated himself by playing hardball

Last edited by TempusFugit: 05-21-2007 at 06:54 PM.
Old
05-21-2007, 06:38 PM
PSUhockey34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas House Gorilla View Post
I think you're completely wrong about that situation malyk. My memory of the situation is that the Caps offered Bondra $1.5 for one year. Bondra's counteroffer was two years and (perhaps) an NTC (memory is hazy on that point). McPhee then withdrew the offer and Bondra had to sign with Atlanta for significantly less just to be able to play hockey anywhere in the NHL. I remember feeling shame for Bondra because he was one of the great players the organization ever had and basically humiliated himself by playing hardball
reason why Bondra signed for only a guaranteed $500,000 plus the incentives was that Waddell didn't want to commit to much money in signing Bondra when Kovo still needed to be re-signed...so Bondra signed for less in order to play for the Thrashers

PSUhockey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2007, 08:25 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCritter View Post
what happens when some player comes along and breaks all of Bondra’s or Kolzig’s records?
Yes, and for the good of the Caps franchise I hope it happens.

I really don't know how anyone can say Olie shouldn't get his # retired. He is easily the best goaltender the Caps have ever had. And argueable the best player the Caps have ever had. Really there are only 2 other players in the same class as Kolzig IMO, and those are Langway and Hunter.

Old
05-21-2007, 09:31 PM
The Viking Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by malyk View Post
Bondra got traded.
After the season he got an offer from atlanta and the caps wouldn't match it (and insulted him by significantly lowballing him).
This year he wanted to play for the caps for very little money, but McPhee wouldn't take him because the caps were getting younger*.

I didn't follow the coverage from the papers, but I know that's about how it went down.

* - as if a guy like bondra couldn't have been a great mentor to a few of the young players. It's incredible the caps wouldn't want that kind of guy back. Un-f'ing-believable.
Your timeline is wrong