HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

San Jose/Pittsburgh Proposal

Old
05-19-2007, 02:23 AM
AK-Evgeni71*

vCash: 500
San Jose/Pittsburgh Proposal

To SJ:

Sergei Gonchar
Michel Ouellet

To PIT:

Milan Michalek

SJ needs a puck moving d-man (Gonchar) and get a replacement for Michalek (Ouellet who put up 50 points on the second line the past season). Pittsburgh gets a great young, cheap winger to flank either Sid or Geno.

AK-Evgeni71* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 03:15 AM
God
Free Citizen

You should know your own team's weaknesses. If Pittsburgh gives up Gonchar, they'll be fighting for 8th place.

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 03:25 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cao View Post
You should know your own team's weaknesses. If Pittsburgh gives up Gonchar, they'll be fighting for 8th place.
Pittsburgh could lose Gonchar. Letang and Whitney should be fine filling that role. But I doubt SJ makes that trade.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 03:42 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Milan Michalek could've been dealt in a trade for Chris Pronger and it was declined by Doug Wilson. I just don't see him being moved for a long time. I think the Sharks plan is to reunite Michalek/Marleau/Bernier for next year and either re-attempt Bell/Thornton/Cheechoo or find a suitable winger to replace Bell...they will exhaust all those potential options, including a trade with Vesa Toskala before dealing core players.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 04:37 AM
SCinSJ
Sith Lord Burns

I hadn't thought of it before but Gonchar would fill the Sharks need very well... Milan is off the table but I would be very interested in a deal involving Sergei. How long and expensive is his contract? (I'm too lazy to look it up)

SCinSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 05:32 AM
Cors

Send a message via ICQ to Cors
A 20+ Goal scorer for a "Top 5 PP Player" and nice PowerForward ??

J.T + Carle for Malone ??

Cors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 10:53 AM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Quite simply, hell no. Michalek is one of the top young LW's in the game, and he's only going to get better. Gonchar is a nice addition, but he's too expensive, and Oullete plain sucks.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 12:22 PM
davemess

Would Gonchar for Steve Bernier work?

davemess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 12:26 PM
Cors

Send a message via ICQ to Cors
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess View Post
Bernier + Carle for Gonchar + Ouellet

Done

Cors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 12:30 PM
Sinistrophobia

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess View Post
Doubt it with such a severe difference in salary.

Sinistrophobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 12:57 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

Pittsburgh and San Jose would seem to be ideal trading partners, what with SJ needing a PP quarterback and the Pens needing wingers.

What about a deal centering around Cheechoo for Gonchar?

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 01:50 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

LMAO at the proposl by Cors. That has to be one of the worst I have ever seen. As for the Cheechoo and Gonchar thing, its intriguing but San Jose can go out and get a defensman of similar offensive skills but who also plays defense without giving up a guy who is signed to a fantastic deal.

Old
05-19-2007, 01:52 PM
Luigi Lemieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Wilson View Post
LMAO at the proposl by Cors. That has to be one of the worst I have ever seen. As for the Cheechoo and Gonchar thing, its intriguing but San Jose can go out and get a defensman of similar offensive skills but who also plays defense without giving up a guy who is signed to a fantastic deal.
not many of those out there.

Luigi Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 01:52 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

I dnt think I need to explain the fact that San Jose trading a Michalek or Bernier will not make them a better team.. SJ is one of the deepest teams inthe legue, but have you seen theur LW depth after Michalek and Clowe? Atrocious. Adding Oulette would ake it 5 times worse.

Old
05-19-2007, 01:54 PM
#1rezniy

I would love for someone to take Gonchars contract. Improving the wing and freeing up some salary to get a better defensive defensman in free agency would be fantastic.

#1rezniy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 01:57 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

I would muc rather have Souray than Gonchar. Gonchar has a slight edge offnsively, and thoug Souray is terrible one on one, you know you will get 100 percent effort and he is a little better on the whole in his own zone.

Souray, Rafalski, Timmonen, Markv, and Schneider are all defensemen who are a little worse than Gonchar offensively but are just as good if not muc better (the last four) defensively.

Old
05-19-2007, 01:58 PM
Luigi Lemieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1rezniy View Post
I would love for someone to take Gonchars contract. Improving the wing and freeing up some salary to get a better defensive defensman in free agency would be fantastic.
gonchar is still very important to the penguins. you can't expect letang to come in and replace him as the pp quarterback and pot 70 pts. compared to some of the recent contracts he's got a very fair deal. i'd be very against getting rid of gonchar.

Old
05-19-2007, 01:59 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1rezniy View Post
Given the Pens' surplus of offensive defenseman and similarly molded prospects, parting with Gonchar is conceivable, but he is no doubt worth what he's getting paid.

Old
05-19-2007, 02:01 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

Quote:
I would muc rather have Souray than Gonchar. Gonchar has a slight edge offnsively, and thoug Souray is terrible one on one, you know you will get 100 percent effort and he is a little better on the whole in his own zone.

Souray, Rafalski, Timmonen, Markv, and Schneider are all defensemen who are a little worse than Gonchar offensively but are just as good if not muc better (the last four) defensively.
I understand your argument on the whole and can agree with almost all of it, but Souray is not better than Gonchar in his own zone.

Gonch isn't physical, but he is generally average in his own end. Souray is downright atrocious.

Old
05-19-2007, 02:04 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctordark View Post
Pittsburgh and San Jose would seem to be ideal trading partners, what with SJ needing a PP quarterback and the Pens needing wingers.

What about a deal centering around Cheechoo for Gonchar?
they're not, san jose's surplus is with goaltending and pittsburgh is set with fleury

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 02:04 PM
Luigi Lemieux

Quote:

i think they might be slightly better in their own end, but there's a much bigger gap offensively than you're saying. gonchar has averaged 62 pts a season over the last five years. none of the other guys come close to that. souray has had one big year, a contract year.

Old
05-19-2007, 02:10 PM
#1rezniy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Lemieux View Post
gonchar is still very important to the penguins. you can't expect letang to come in and replace him as the pp quarterback and pot 70 pts. compared to some of the recent contracts he's got a very fair deal. i'd be very against getting rid of gonchar.
I'm not really counting on Letang being a major contributor at all next season. I do expect Whitney to replace Gonchar as the pp qb and put up 70pts.

I'd gladly move Gonchar. I honestly think the defense as a whole would be better with two lesser, yet better all around defenseman, then one great offensive guy.

Old
05-19-2007, 02:11 PM
#1rezniy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan7 View Post
they're not, san jose's surplus is with goaltending and pittsburgh is set with fleury
Pittsburgh already traded for two San Jose prospects in goal this year.

Old
05-19-2007, 02:12 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan7 View Post
Well, with Bell (off-year?), Michalek, Clowe, Bernier, and Cheechoo as potential top 6 wingers, and Pavelski not likely to crack a top 2 center spot but still earning top 6 duty, and Setoguchi on his way up, I'd say that San Jose is pretty well set on the flanks, though that may just be a relative thing compared to my Pens.

The Sharks seem, at least to me, in as good a shape as any team in the league in the wing department.

Old
05-19-2007, 02:14 PM
Rowsdower

Send a message via AIM to Rowsdower
Not a chance in hell San Jose goes for that (nor would they go for the other proposal made).

I don't want the Pens to deal Gonchar, as I feel he's important to the team. However, if a young winger of Michalek's calibur is the return, do it, and replace Gonch through UFA. Michalek would be great for the Pens....he's young, good at both ends of the ice and can play both wings.

I also don't think San Jose has much of a need for Omlette. They have younger guys like Clowe and Pavelski that can provide secondary scoring just as well.

Rowsdower is offline   Reply With Quote