HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Suprise Bust of the year....huh?

Closed Thread

Old
12-23-2003, 08:48 AM
Maximus

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Maximus
Suprise Bust of the year....huh?

Here's your choices folks:
MModano
VLecavalier
MGaborik
JO'Neill
MSatan

As we are pretty darn close to the 1/2 way mark of the season and patterns are being formulated, I figured, this would be a good time to start a thread like this as besides it being fun to discuss, I was bored on a slow day here in the office....

Oh yeah, its great to finally find a site like this, seeing that for this hockey nut from the States, it isn't often one finds the passion for hockey down where I live....so its good to be here.

Anyways onto the thread:

In a very tough call as all of the players I noted above are "worthy" of the award, I choose Modano as the suprise bust of the year thus far as his year has been absolutaly putrid so far and he's likely driving his fans, fantasy owners nuts, and most importantly his employers in the Dallas front office.

Like I said, all the other guys have been terrible as well but Modano though, is a special case as just like death and taxes are a sure thing in life, so is Modano scoring 30 something goals, getting himself 75-85 points in a year along with a +20 or so plus/minus. He's done that for like 10 years in a row.

Not this year however as he only has 7 or 8 goals and 20 points along with a horrid -15 plus/minus which is staggeringly bad for him. Those kinds of stats are for guys like DAudette or a YPerreult type of guy(sorry Habs fans....hehe)...not a Mike friggin Modano.

Anyways, I'm sure once he finally can somehow forget he's lost millions and millions of dollars in horrid financial endeavors, his game will come back, the team will obviously benefit. But until that occurs, and it might end up being too late anyways, Modano is withought question my suprise bust of the year at this point of the season.

On purpose, I missed a few busts besides the five I indicated, and so if any of y'all have some others you'd like to include in this "prestigious" catagory, by all means feel free to throw your .02 coppers in.

Forgetting injury reasons, who's been the suprise bust of the year in your opinions....eh?.

-Max

Last edited by Maximus: 12-23-2003 at 08:52 AM.
Old
12-23-2003, 08:51 AM
LaVal

Modano. the guy has been one of the most consistant performers in hockey and this just comes out of nowhere. everyone else is either unproven or has had his ups and downs.

Old
12-23-2003, 08:57 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus915
Here's your choices folks:
MModano
VLecavalier
MGaborik
JO'Neill
MSatan

-Max

Modano by far.

Gaborik & Satan aren't really surprises IMO. When players holdout and miss camp they generally have down seasons.

Old
12-23-2003, 08:57 AM
Maximus

Send a message via Yahoo to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVal575
Modano. the guy has been one of the most consistant performers in hockey and this just comes out of nowhere. everyone else is either unproven or has had his ups and downs.

I've read on numerous numerous occassions LaVal, that his huge financial woes where he's supposedly lost millions of dollars, is the main reason for his abysmal season. I've never been in a situation like that obviously, like the one Modano is going thru, but what about alll these other players in the sports world, who've been able to go thru trying times and still have been able to perform on their usual elite level....eh? All one has to do is check out what Favre did last night vs the Raiders with the death of his father on his mind, or what Kobe is still been able to do, to see examples.

Yes, Modano's horrid year has taken everyone by suprise in particuraly his own team as his first year as captain has been an absolute failure.

-Max

Old
12-23-2003, 09:02 AM
-MrBean-

Stars fan here.... and I say Modano.

He has always been the franchise superstar goto guy. Not this year. Now we hope he just make a turn for the better.

As his plus/minus shows you, it's not just his offense suffering this year, but his defense (which he is usually one of the best 2 way forwards each year) is also taking a huge hit during this slump.

Old
12-23-2003, 09:07 AM
Semenko

I can't say I'm surprised, but my favorite bust of the year (other then Pamela Anderson) is Sergei Fedorov and the Quacks.

Last place and no offence from Sergei

Old
12-23-2003, 09:23 AM
BruinFan42

Add Joe Thornton to that list. 6'4 230 lbs captain coming off a 101 point season is playing like a 5-9 180 lbs 3rd liner who's afraid to shoot the puck and skate in the middle of the rink.

Not to mention there's no leadership coming from him, on or off the ice....

Old
12-23-2003, 09:38 AM
Douggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Modano by far.

Gaborik & Satan aren't really surprises IMO. When players holdout and miss camp they generally have down seasons.
Couldn't agree more.

Old
12-23-2003, 09:43 AM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Agree with JFF, coming into the season some of us Wild fans knew that Gabby was going to have a downseason because of his holdout.

Old
12-23-2003, 09:47 AM
Stephen

Mike Modano might be a surprise 'bust,' but he is getting up there in age. Maybe we've come to expect so much out of him that it's weird to see him finally slide? :dunno

Old
12-23-2003, 09:50 AM
NJ_Devil_Boy

Turco & Giguere

Old
12-23-2003, 09:55 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Yup, Mike Modano, but definitely not by as many as you would think.

Mike has always been a slow starter, he never hits ppg figures untill after the break. Like I said before, his career ppg average before the All-Star break is a mere 0.79, while after it, is a very impressive 1.23.

20 Points in 35 games however, is even below his usual slow start. But with a team that barely averages 2 goals a game and that has been shutdown more then any other squad, dunno, but makes his numbers seem not quite as worse. As for the -14 statistic; when he or Jere do not have a +, something else is wrong, reasons could be Turco's horrendous start, the late blooming defense that was quite horrible in the beginning, Jere not being there, Philippe Boucher missing out on action, etc. Hell, Mike recently requested to play with Jere Lehtinen and Brenden Morrow, trying to see if he would produce more consistantly and at a better pace with actual and capable scoring forwards, surprisingly, that line combined for 6 points on the night, and a +8.

Still, he's been too inconsistant. One time he looks like his old self, flying all over the place, dominating the opposition at both ends, doing everything with flash and effectiveness, but the next game he simply floats, no passion, no heart, no nuthin. Still plays Defense, but stats don't reflect that.. I would like to say that Mo will still manage to score between 80/85 points, like he does every single season, but I don't wanna jinx him, nor do I really believe it this time.

It's 2001/2002 all over again..

Old
12-23-2003, 10:01 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_Devil_Boy
Turco & Giguere
Thank you, was waiting for someone to come up with Turco.

In his defense, the combination of holding out and going through several groin injuries in the beginning had him finding his groove very late into the season. He started out with a horrible 2.61 GAA and a .895 save % in his first month, since then, he's probably been West best with an impressive 1.50 GAA and a .937 save% (last 15 games). And this with a team failing to score more then twice, playing sub .500 hockey.

Somehow, I wouldn't call..

33 games - 2.08 GAA - .911 Save% - 2 shutouts..

.. busting. Unless you expected him to post numbers like 1.70 and .933 for every single season.

The Stars have a rough season, but Turco's been phenomenal the last 15 games. Poor start or not, he has recovered which resulted in quality stats on an underachieving team.

Old
12-23-2003, 10:08 AM
Teemu

Clearly modano.

Turco is still doing a good job. I think expectations on him were high from last year with his near vezina performance, and he didnt live upto those expectations, but he's hardly done a poor job.

Old
12-23-2003, 10:10 AM
Mizral

My choice is actually not on your list, but JS Giguere.

Modano is a good choice too, it's pretty shocking what's happened there.

As for the poster who mentioned Thornton, well, I don't think this was too surprising for some. Everything in the world went right last year for Joe. His intensity level last year was very high, consistantly. Not many players can keep that up. Not saying I don't think Thornton is good, he clearly is. I just don't think he's the best player in the league as some have said. I think that his play this year is pretty bad, and not like who he really is, but I'd say last year's play is not who he really is either. Somewhere in between.

Old
12-23-2003, 10:14 AM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semenko
I can't say I'm surprised, but my favorite bust of the year (other then Pamela Anderson) is Sergei Fedorov and the Quacks.

Last place and no offence from Sergei
I agree, the Ducks have been a surprise bust for us Ducks fans eh?

Old
12-23-2003, 10:14 AM
kira

Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
I can't restrict it to just Modano...it's the whole Dallas team. I've never seen them play with such disharmony...it's like a room full of strangers trying to put a team together rather than a group of guys who, for the most part, have been together for a while. I don't know what's going on or what happened to cause this, but it's not just Modano, though I have to admit, he doesn't look like his normal self.

I would also say Giguere, but that one doesn't break my heart in the least. In fact, I think it's rather funny.

Old
12-23-2003, 10:24 AM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Originally Posted by kira
I can't restrict it to just Modano...it's the whole Dallas team. I've never seen them play with such disharmony...it's like a room full of strangers trying to put a team together rather than a group of guys who, for the most part, have been together for a while. I don't know what's going on or what happened to cause this, but it's not just Modano, though I have to admit, he doesn't look like his normal self.

I would also say Giguere, but that one doesn't break my heart in the least. In fact, I think it's rather funny.
You have a short memory. Dallas did it two years ago.

Old
12-23-2003, 10:29 AM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
Modano without a doubt.

Old
12-23-2003, 10:38 AM
kira

Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehc73
You have a short memory. Dallas did it two years ago.
Somehow, I don't remember it being quite as bad then as it is now.

Old
12-23-2003, 11:50 AM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Chistov ...he scored his 1st goal last night...

Old
12-23-2003, 12:27 PM
Alex Kovalev

Kovalev has to be an honourable mention at least, he cant hit the net.

Though I guess it isnt much of a surprise, he is playing for New York. Its a shame, hopefully he signs elsewhere next year.

Old
12-23-2003, 12:51 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Tuomo Ruutu?

Old
12-23-2003, 12:53 PM
arsobro

Andy Delmore ?

What happens?

Old
12-23-2003, 02:01 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
Mike Modano might be a surprise 'bust,' but he is getting up there in age.
No. He is not.

Next.

Closed Thread