HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rumor Calgary/philly

Closed Thread

Old
12-19-2003, 02:02 PM
JEFFRY

vCash: 500
Rumor Calgary/philly

Ej Hradek From Espn Is Reporting That A Major Deal Could
Go Down Between The Flyers And The Flames Before Trade Freeze

To Calgary
Mike Comrie
Justin Williams
Jim Vandermeer

To Philly
Craig Conroy
Denis Gauthier
Jarome Iginla

Old
12-19-2003, 02:04 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
wtf !
calgary get boned !!

Old
12-19-2003, 02:09 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Livin' a lie livin' a lie livin' a lie JEFFRY!

12-19-2003, 02:14 PM
sandman08

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFRY

To Calgary
Mike Comrie
Justin Williams
Jim Vandermeer

To Philly
Craig Conroy
Denis Gauthier
Jarome Iginla
why in hell would calgary give up one of its best defensemen and 2 top forwards for a guy who sure as hell is NOT a sutter player (comrie), a guy who spent a fair amount of time in hitch's doghouse (williams) and a defensive prospect when the flames are a) winning and b) bringing in fans and finally and most importantly c) in a playoff position?!

sutter's the gm. he's building a team that plays in his style.. conroy could be moved yes, but even w/ iggy's salary he's playing hardnosed hockey and THAT is sutter hockey. i dont see this trade happening and if it does.. i just lost all respect for sutter

Old
12-19-2003, 02:19 PM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 50
His first post, what a surprise

Old
12-19-2003, 02:19 PM
Reign Nateo

That would be a huge deal.

Comrie>Conroy
Williams>Gauthier

Iginla for Vandemeer and the difference between the aforementioned players? I don't think so. Unless Iginla's contract has become too much for the team.

Calgary gets the short end off the deal.

Old
12-19-2003, 02:21 PM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
Take away Gauthier, Philly adds a 2nd, and I think it's decent.
Keeping in mind of course Conroy is a UFA to be, and calgary must save well over 3 million bucks here.

Williams, Comrie, Vandermeer, 2nd for Iginla and Conroy.

Old
12-19-2003, 02:24 PM
sandman08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy
Take away Gauthier, Philly adds a 2nd, and I think it's decent.
Keeping in mind of course Conroy is a UFA to be, and calgary must save well over 3 million bucks here.

Williams, Comrie, Vandermeer, 2nd for Iginla and Conroy.
i still say sutter would have to be literally blown away by the deal to make it..

if i were a flames fan (which im not for the record) i would be VERY pissed off to see my captain and the FACE of the TEAM involved in a salary dump type of trade AGAIN.. ESPECIALLY when the team is fighting for the playoffs.. the team is going to lose money again this year.. thats a given but they are going to lose a hell of a lot more if they just dump salary and make a trade like this.. iggy may not be on pace for 50 goals this year and may not bring in the hardware or whatever but he's still the face of the team and that sells

Old
12-19-2003, 02:26 PM
oilfan39

Quote:

To Calgary
Mike Comrie
Justin Williams
Jim Vandermeer

To Philly
Craig Conroy
Denis Gauthier
Jarome Iginla
Does ESPN stand for Extremely Stupid People Network??

However, I do see the Flyers quite possibly making a pitch for Iginla. However, after giving up Woywitka in the Comrie deal, I think any move the indescribable Clarke makes involving another young defenceman will be for a defenseman like Gonchar.

And if Clarke IS serious about Iginla, don't expect more than 1 player to come off his current roster. Philly is playing too well right now to mess with their lineup, plus which forwards besides say Comrie and Williams could the Flames afford that would be worth giving up Iginla for.

The only way I see Clarke getting Iginla is
a) dealing a higher priced forward like Amonte or Recchi to a club for prospects and talent and shipping some of that with a Comrie or Handzus to Calgary for Iginla.

or

b) Put your money that Williams will develop into another Gagne, and ship Simon and a mid-rounder to Calgary for Iginla.

Fire away.

Old
12-19-2003, 02:29 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman08
why in hell would calgary give up one of its best defensemen and 2 top forwards for a guy who sure as hell is NOT a sutter player (comrie), a guy who spent a fair amount of time in hitch's doghouse (williams) and a defensive prospect when the flames are a
I'd love to hear about all the time that Williams has spent in Hitchcock's doghouse, because that couldn't be further from the truth.

Old
12-19-2003, 02:30 PM
officeglen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinto80
However in another thread a poster with 800+ posts reports on a ESPN rumor for this as well, albeit without the complete player details. See:

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.p...0&pagenumber=2

Old
12-19-2003, 02:33 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:

To Calgary
Mike Comrie
Justin Williams
Jim Vandermeer

To Philly
Craig Conroy
Denis Gauthier
Jarome Iginla
I don't see this happeneing for a few reasons.

#1. Calgary is playing the best that have in a long time, not looking to make a major move.

#2. Flyers would be adding $9.5 million in salary this year. The Flyers are already about $5 million over their budget.

Old
12-19-2003, 02:35 PM
sandman08

how bout last year just after he got hurt?
(it was in the media up north)
it was at that time that supposedly he was being offered for iggy in the first deal, i believe it was originally williams, gagne and a d prospect (according to the other thread about this it was pitkanen) and the flames turned the deal down..
the media talked about willaims being in hitch's doghouse then and thats what im basing it on.. something about willaims not paying as much attention to D as he should have or something like that if im wrong then i take that back but im going on what the media was saying in that situation
(Im neither a flames or flyers fan for the record. i just dont think the flames should make this trade but thats besides the point and has nothing to do with my commet about williams and by no means am i trying to belittle or trash any player)

Old
12-19-2003, 02:40 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
how bout last year just after he got hurt?
(it was in the media up north)
it was at that time that supposedly he was being offered for iggy in the first deal, i believe it was originally williams, gagne and a d prospect (according to the other thread about this it was pitkanen) and the flames turned the deal down..
the media talked about willaims being in hitch's doghouse then and thats what im basing it on.. something about willaims not paying as much attention to D as he should have or something like that if im wrong then i take that back but im going on what the media was saying in that situation

Williams may have been rumored to be in a deal for Iginla, because if Calgary is going to trade Iginla Williams would obviously be one of the players Calgary would be interested in.

Williams makes the occasional mistake (usually holding onto the puck too long), but he is the Flyers best forechecker, and most tireless skater.

Williams is a Hitchcock and Clarke favorite, but obviously you have to give something to get something.

Old
12-19-2003, 02:56 PM
sandman08

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Williams may have been rumored to be in a deal for Iginla, because if Calgary is going to trade Iginla Williams would obviously be one of the players Calgary would be interested in.

Williams makes the occasional mistake (usually holding onto the puck too long), but he is the Flyers best forechecker, and most tireless skater.

Williams is a Hitchcock and Clarke favorite, but obviously you have to give something to get something.
if he is a favourite then i apologize and lets say we chock it up to poor reporting.. like i said before im not a fan of the flyers by any sense and therefore do not follow the team exactly.. but by no means do i hate various players (cept for lindross when he was there and i'll always hate leclair) but for the record im a big fan of mark recchi, keith primeau, simon gagne and justin williams is definately a good, fast kid and thats always fun to watch

and as you say, you have to give something to get something, if sutter makes it and thats a big if, he'd want pitkanen in return, along with gagne and williams.. or something along those lines.. it wont be a deal along the lines of comrie and will cost clarke a lot.. for the flames to make a trade involving iggy they would have to get a lot in return to sell to the calgary fans and when you have a guy who just 2 years ago won the pearson and rocket richard trophies and was a finalist for the hart you have someone who is both highly marketable and hugely popular for obvious reasons.. trading that kinda player makes it difficult for the team regardless of salary when it comes to fan support

Old
12-19-2003, 02:59 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
and as you say, you have to give something to get something, if sutter makes it and thats a big if, he'd want pitkanen in return, along with gagne and williams.. or something along those lines.. it wont be a deal along the lines of comrie and will cost clarke a lot.. for the flames to make a trade involving iggy they would have to get a lot in return to sell to the calgary fans and when you have a guy who just 2 years ago won the pearson and rocket richard trophies and was a finalist for the hart you have someone who is both highly marketable and hugely popular for obvious reasons.. trading that kinda player makes it difficult for the team regardless of salary when it comes to fan support
Pitkanen woun't be traded. He is the only Flyer, other than ones with NTC's that I would say is untouchable.

The Flyers can't make a deal where they are taking on a ton of salary in return. The Flyers are currently about $5 million over their budget for the year.

Old
12-19-2003, 03:07 PM
sandman08

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Pitkanen woun't be traded. He is the only Flyer, other than ones with NTC's that I would say is untouchable.

The Flyers can't make a deal where they are taking on a ton of salary in return. The Flyers are currently about $5 million over their budget for the year.
thats why i say this deal wont take place at all

as it stands right now, the flames are supposedly going to lose some money (if they dont make the playoffs) and that factored into them trading drury.. making a trade of this magnitude is going to disrupt team chemistry for both teams, and the flames are in the playoff position they so desperately need.. having said that i dont think they OR the flyers SHOULD make this trade solely from the team chemistry standpoint..

team chemistry cant be bought, if it could, the rangers would be the champs.. you need to build the team and let them gel.. the flames also would be losing a HUGE chunk of their overall leadership given conroy is their former captain and iggy is their current captain, sure warrener would take over with the C and all but it doesnt make sense for them to do it on a number of levels

Old
12-19-2003, 03:09 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

spectors which is a great site picked up the rumor

IGINLA FOR COMRIE TO GO DOWN BY MIDNIGHT?

Three different fans have e-mailed in claiming they heard EJ Hradek on ESPN News claiming the Philadelphia Flyers and Calgary Flames may be about to swing a major deal. Apparently Hradek said the deal would involved newly obtained centre Mike Comrie being shipped to the Flames in exchange for winger and Flames captain Jarome Iginla, with other players also involved in the deal. Justin Williams and Jim Vandermeer from the Flyers and Denis Gauthier and Craig Conroy of the Flames have also been mentioned.

Spector's Note: My thanks to those who sent this in. Personally, this deal doesn't make sense. The Flyers supposedly dealt for Comrie because they'd been juggling wingers as centres since Claude Lapointe was sidelined. Iginla has regained his scoring touch of late and the Flames are red hot right now. Conroy's out indefinitely with a knee injury and I can't see Clarke dealing for an injured player. It wouldn't make sense for Darryl Sutter to make such a major change to his roster right now.

this deal would be a steal for philly. i guess we will find out by midnight if its true!!

Old
12-19-2003, 03:14 PM
Liquidrage*

spectors says it doesn't make sense? Well, maybe there's a chance this one will go down afterall

Old
12-19-2003, 03:16 PM
AEKaki

Calgary gets boned royally big time.
Add Gagne and then it gets closer to fair.

Old
12-19-2003, 03:31 PM
NYR469

did anyone actually here hradek say this??

if he reported this, wouldn't there be something at espn.com?? or wouldn't another site have picked up on it??

espn radio just did their newsflash and made no mention of this

Old
12-19-2003, 03:35 PM
Dr Love

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/column..._ej&id=1688512

Note to EJ: Hackett has a NTC. There goes your theory.

Old
12-19-2003, 04:09 PM
Dr_Gonz0

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinto80
Actually, I heard this from an Edmonton source today as well.

Edit: But it was Comrie and draft picks for Iginla. Which doesn't make sense to me, seeing as the Oilers just got their best draft pick(for this year anyways).

Last edited by Dr_Gonz0: 12-19-2003 at 04:38 PM.
Old
12-19-2003, 06:11 PM
SouthFlyer82

I don't like this deal from the Flyers stand point. For one I am not a big Iginla fan, I don't think see him ever doing what he did two years ago again. I think hes a very good player but more of the 35-40 goal guy which is still great, but Comrie to me is also a guy that can net 30. Conroy helps little, we have Handzus who does almost the samething and Conroy adds almsot 2.5 million contract and is a UFA, Gauthier at most would be our 5th defensemen and really just adds to an already strong spot. This fills no need to the Flyers and does little but turn over roster spots of a team thats at the top of the league and it also makes them older.

Old
12-19-2003, 06:34 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Empire Sports Network is reporting an Iginla for Comrie rumor during the Sabres/Devils postgame show, citing ESPN as the source.

Closed Thread