HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What about Brian??

Closed Thread

Old
05-22-2007, 08:17 PM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

vCash: 500
What about Brian??

Before everyone flames me for this comment read it through first. This is related to Leetchie. He didnt play last year because Boston did not want to pay him basically, but I for one believe that Brian needs to retire a Ranger. He is true blue and should play his last game here. Now before I say that only, I also am in the belief that under certain circumstances he could help our team. Am I crazy, maybe IDK, but listen. While he is up there in age, there are plenty of very effective older defenseman still playing, IE: Chelios. Now Im not going and saying oh he should be brought in and given a top spot playing 82 games 30+ a game like he used to, thats nuts. BUT what if he comes in plays 40-60 games, 15-20 mins a game? I think he could be very effective, providing he gets into game ready shape and what not. Now I know the argument here is that he will take away from prospects trying to get in. BUT I say this is a one year deal, and would not put a very big hit on Cap room, as I truly feel he would come back for very little. And besides that Staal is the only true D man I see earning a spot next year. So instead of trying to sign a Priessing, Timmonen, Souray, whatever why not take a chance on him. If nothing else he is an extremely experienced guy, could teach our young D corps a ton of things, and I for one still think he has a year left in him, plus I hate to see him go out like he did. Im willing to bet if the offer was on the table he would come back where he belongs. So that would give us Rosi, Tyutin, Mara (if he stays), Staal, Malik(ugg), Raccoon (bigger uggh), Leetch, Girardi. I would much rather give Leetch a shot (in limited playing time), take that chance, than suffer thru seeing Raccon play. I know I will prolly get flamed for this, so go ahead, but in my eyes this could be a good thing, like I said look what Chelios is still capable of.

Old
05-22-2007, 09:03 PM
WheresBarnaby

Yes!

I'm gonna say we'll defiently see Leetch back on Garden ice this year!

....at his retirement ceremony that is

Old
05-22-2007, 09:08 PM
gers*

staal>leetch
endo story

Old
05-22-2007, 09:30 PM
Captain Monglobster

Chelios is a God among men.

Old
05-22-2007, 09:44 PM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvisbisk View Post
staal>leetch
endo story
My point was not that Leetch is better, if you read thru youd see that, but instead Im saying he could really teach our younger guys some things, and I would be all for it. Staal is ready in my opinion, BUT it is a big step and he will need some guidance. If people dont agree thats cool, but I really feel he has another year left, and if he gets back and is not effective what does it hurt??? He retires a Ranger, he gave it a shot (which he deserves in my book), and our young stud, Stall, steps in, which he will anyways.

Old
05-22-2007, 10:01 PM
Ranger35
Proud of NYR

Send a message via AIM to Ranger35
I think the only way you can consider it is if Leetch replaces Strudwick. Problem is, I don't see it happening. Besides, I doubt Leetch would embarass himself by playing like a shadow of himself.

He was arguably one of the greatest Rangers ever if not the greatest, and I'd love to cheer him on when they retire his number, but I think the time has past for his return to the Garden as a player.

Think of what Shanahan said when he came to the Rangers, I think that very much applies.

Old
05-22-2007, 10:09 PM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

Well he never really had a chance in Boston, and in Toronto he was still very effective, granted compared to the 90's he would be a shadow of himself, but other than that thats not why Im saying bring him in. We dont need the old uber leetch, we need a smart D-man, who can be offensive, bring experience and leadership, and play smart. Sure we could go out and get Souray, but hes up there in age, and very overrated imo. Im not saying this will happen, as I dont feel it will, but if it did I would not be against it is all. I knew posting this most would disagree with me and say hes washed up, I guess Im just in the minority. Training regimens and medical staff can do wonders for the "older" guys in this NHL. Either way as long as I see him on garden ice, be it playing, or getting his number retired here, I will be happy. He needs to be retired here and not in Boston.

Old
05-22-2007, 10:22 PM
PromNite
This is awkward...

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Every fiber of my reasonable being says "Hello NO!"

We are too deep on D already, people will be fighting for spots out of camp and he's the last thing we need. Plus, he'd have to be willing to sign for close to nothing and take a very limited role...

But honestly, hearing the words "SCOOOORE... BRIAN LEETCH!" while he is wearing a Rangers jersey would make me weep uncontrollably.

Completely out of emotion and not rational thought: Sign him for one year, on the cheap, and get him one goal. Just one. It would be worth it for this fan.

Adam Tensta's from the 163

Last edited by PromNite: 05-23-2007 at 12:11 AM.
Old
05-22-2007, 10:26 PM
TheRedressor

sign him to a 1-day contract so he can retire a blueshirt.

Old
05-22-2007, 10:27 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

It's time to let go...

Old
05-22-2007, 10:31 PM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
It's time to let go...
Yea ok, I understand that, all Im saying is why did he stop playing??? Not because of injury so much as Boston was not the place for him. Whos to say he doesnt have anything left in him? Im sure it wont happen, but if he got another shot with any team, I think many might be surprised as to what he could do.

Old
05-22-2007, 10:33 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
why is it that there's one of these threads every month, yet everyone wanted Messier to retire? I guess it's because most Ranger fans didn't see Leetch's demise, and therefore don't believe it? I don't know, but I think Messier was a better player at the end of his career.

Old
05-22-2007, 11:23 PM
You 'Orns!

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
why is it that there's one of these threads every month, yet everyone wanted Messier to retire? I guess it's because most Ranger fans didn't see Leetch's demise, and therefore don't believe it? I don't know, but I think Messier was a better player at the end of his career.
Because we don't have an offensive-defenceman, nor do we have a real powerplay quarterback. If he's game-fit, you could play Leetch today the way you played Dan Boyle (low overall minutes, lots of powerplay time) a few years back and you're in good shape, I think.

Nevertheless, it doesn't make sense for the Rangers to make a play for him, unless it would be as some sort of player/coach/mentor for the young defencemen coming up.

It's a moot point, though, because Leetch wouldn't sign with Sather's Rangers anyway, nor do I particularly blame him.

PS> There was no excuse for those trying to run Messier out of town.

Old
05-23-2007, 12:04 AM
Rodent

This thread comes off as if Glen can merely snap his fingers and Leetch will come crawling back to NYR.

Slats was open to discussing a return of Brian to Broadway this past season. But Leetch dragged his skates for whatever reason, be it lingering bitterness over the trade to Toronto or how that was handled/mishandled or whether Brian felt he was in shape to play.

It was Leetch who declined to return to Gotham under whatever parameters Glen was discussing with Brian's agent.

This is not to paint Leetch as the villain, here. My point is that threads like this always make it seem as if players and other G/Ms are merely there to do Glen's bidding.

The truth is always more complicated.

And even if Brian was available this fall, Slats owes it to the organization to survey potential trades and the UFA horizon in July before committing cap $$ to Leetch. Perhaps, he even owes the youngsters a look before phoning Brian's agent.

My memory is fuzzy on this, but I think Brian's agent is Jay Grossman. Don't pelt me if I'm wrong. I am miles from my notes right now.

Old
05-23-2007, 12:16 AM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodent View Post
This thread comes off as if Glen can merely snap his fingers and Leetch will come crawling back to NYR.

Slats was open to discussing a return of Brian to Broadway this past season. But Leetch dragged his skates for whatever reason, be it lingering bitterness over the trade to Toronto or how that was handled/mishandled or whether Brian felt he was in shape to play.

It was Leetch who declined to return to Gotham under whatever parameters Glen was discussing with Brian's agent.

This is not to paint Leetch as the villain, here. My point is that threads like this always make it seem as if players and other G/Ms are merely there to do Glen's bidding.

The truth is always more complicated.

And even if Brian was available this fall, Slats owes it to the organization to survey potential trades and the UFA horizon in July before committing cap $$ to Leetch. Perhaps, he even owes the youngsters a look before phoning Brian's agent.

My memory is fuzzy on this, but I think Brian's agent is Jay Grossman. Don't pelt me if I'm wrong. I am miles from my notes right now.

Well said, I think Leetch still has some ill will towards Slats for the way he treated him at the trade deadline before the lockout.

Old
05-23-2007, 12:21 AM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger35 View Post
I think the only way you can consider it is if Leetch replaces Strudwick. Problem is, I don't see it happening. Besides, I doubt Leetch would embarass himself by playing like a shadow of himself.

He was arguably one of the greatest Rangers ever if not the greatest, and I'd love to cheer him on when they retire his number, but I think the time has past for his return to the Garden as a player.

Think of what Shanahan said when he came to the Rangers, I think that very much applies.

I was thinking about this recently. I have seen alot of players wear the Ranger sweater. Of the guys I consider "Rangers" Leetch is the best player we have ever had in my mind. Mess will always be an Oiler/ranger to me, and gretzky played here but he is a king/oiler. In my mind Leetch was the greatest "Ranger" ever. I watched his entire career, the guy was simply on a different level. I always said, if they ever put leetch as a forward he would score 50 goals. I never ever felt that way about a defenseman before, and i still haven't.

Old
05-23-2007, 12:26 AM
LiquidClown

Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedressor View Post
Agree, do a Richmond Webb (Dolphins OL).... as much as I'd like to see him come back there are a few things to think about.....

1. He didn't exactly leave on good terms.
2. Are you sure you want to see Leetch out there as a shadow of his former self? As much as I'd love to see #2 out there, I don't want to see him out there getting completely outplayed, and run over....it would just tarnish the images we all have of him....
3. Look at what we have in terms of depth at the defensive position. Baranka, Staal, Girardi, are all ready to step up and become an intricate part of the team. That being said I suppose I wouldn't be opposed (if he plays this up coming season) to bring him aboard for a playoff push?

Speaking of Leetch though, man could that guy just finish a check. I don't know how many times I remember an announcer saying "Leetch really did a fine job finishing that check"......He's a classy guy, and I'll be flying to NY to watch my first Rangers game at MSG for his jersey retirement.

To Leetch!!!!

Old
05-23-2007, 12:29 AM
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!

I wish he'd just announce his retirement so the Rangers can throw his number into the rafters next year and all these threads will stop.

Old
05-23-2007, 12:38 AM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by EventHorizon View Post
I wish he'd just announce his retirement so the Rangers can throw his number into the rafters next year and all these threads will stop.

i 2nd that. why he took a year off, and still hasn't officially retired?

plus, i still have memories of that game when he returned as a bruin. granted they sucked and he wasn't the same coming off injury and it was an emotional night but...well...

...let's just say he looked like a guy who's done.

Old
05-23-2007, 01:24 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedressor View Post

Old
05-23-2007, 01:47 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

I've been a Rangers fan from birth (21 years). I listened to JD and Sam for 20 of those years (i'm sure I was planted by the TV when I was a toddler even if I don't remember it)... My clearest memory obviously is the 94 cup being that I was old enough to remember it and also it's the greatest moment of my time as a Rangers fan. Anyway I was a Leetch fan ever since I can remember. He was and always will be my favorite NYR of all time. I used to wear number 2 and then 22 when I got older. When he got traded part of me died, I was in shock. But even as one of his biggest fans I would say his time has come he is retired and he will not play again in the NHL or for the Rangers. I would love if they gave him a spot in the organization though he is a very good guy and could teach the younger guys alot just not playing beside them on the ice.

Old
05-23-2007, 01:57 AM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
It's time to let go...
Agreed. Looking forward to seeing number 2 in the rafters.. not on the ice....

Old
05-23-2007, 08:29 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykedout66 View Post
Yea ok, I understand that, all Im saying is why did he stop playing??? Not because of injury so much as Boston was not the place for him. Whos to say he doesnt have anything left in him? Im sure it wont happen, but if he got another shot with any team, I think many might be surprised as to what he could do.
He stopped playing because he didn't receive an offer from a team that he wanted to play for (presumably) the Rangers or the Bruins..

As far as bringing him back, I am going to disqualify myself from this discussion as I can't be objective.

05-23-2007, 08:54 AM
ogie

i loved Leetch when he was on the rangers but signing him at this point is counterproductive. The rangers need to be going forward not looking at the past. Leetch should retire so they can put his number in the rafters already.

Old
05-23-2007, 10:15 AM
Prucha25Graves988*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykedout66 View Post
Before everyone flames me for this comment read it through first. This is related to Leetchie. He didnt play last year because Boston did not want to pay him basically, but I for one believe that Brian needs to retire a Ranger. He is true blue and should play his last game here. Now before I say that only, I also am in the belief that under certain circumstances he could help our team. Am I crazy, maybe IDK, but listen. While he is up there in age, there are plenty of very effective older defenseman still playing, IE: Chelios. Now Im not going and saying oh he should be brought in and given a top spot playing 82 games 30+ a game like he used to, thats nuts. BUT what if he comes in plays 40-60 games, 15-20 mins a game? I think he could be very effective, providing he gets into game ready shape and what not. Now I know the argument here is that he will take away from prospects trying to get in. BUT I say this is a one year deal, and would not put a very big hit on Cap room, as I truly feel he would come back for very little. And besides that Staal is the only true D man I see earning a spot next year. So instead of trying to sign a Priessing, Timmonen, Souray, whatever why not take a chance on him. If nothing else he is an extremely experienced guy, could teach our young D corps a ton of things, and I for one still think he has a year left in him, plus I hate to see him go out like he did. Im willing to bet if the offer was on the table he would come back where he belongs. So that would give us Rosi, Tyutin, Mara (if he stays), Staal, Malik(ugg), Raccoon (bigger uggh), Leetch, Girardi. I would much rather give Leetch a shot (in limited playing time), take that chance, than suffer thru seeing Raccon play. I know I will prolly get flamed for this, so go ahead, but in my eyes this could be a good thing, like I said look what Chelios is still capable of.
Sounds good, maybe Sather get Messier to signa contract and Graves as well, they could be ut on the top 6, and Oh I forgot baout Glenn Anderson, a definite signi ng.

Get over it Leetchie is done s a NYR, he wont be back end of story. the only time he will be back is playting for another team against NYR or his jersey being retired, hes old news,I love the guy,but he is not a fit at the moment.

Closed Thread