HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Atlantic Next Year

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-22-2007, 09:21 AM
  #1
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,519
vCash: 500
The Atlantic Next Year

What do you all think? How's it going to shape up?

IMO, I think the Rangers & Pens will be fighting at the top. The

Rangers will probably be even stronger next season. I think we'll be really tough to beat. Jagr is going to be back at 110% and depending on what we do in the offseason and which rookies step in and how they contribute I can see very good things for this team.

Pittsburgh is going to be one year older and Crosby, Malkin, and Staal are going to be one year better, they are going to be scary. Of course their D is still of question.

Devils I think are on their way down to becoming a mediocre team. I think losing Gomez will hurt them a lot from a playmaking standpoint and will especially hurt guys like Gionta and maybe Elias. If how Brodeur played in the postseason is any indication I can see that he's starting to turn into a downswing. I know he was dominant during the season, but he wasn't anywhere near the Brodeur we had seen for years in the playoffs. Could have just been burnt out, but who knows.

Isles will be about the same as this year. I don't see them making any real big moves and they will probably lose either Smyth or Blake. I can't see them getting that much better.

Philly is a wild card. They could turn into anything next season. They may suck again and become the next Pittsburgh and just come out of nowhere in a few seasons from now, who knows?

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 09:29 AM
  #2
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside
 
Ronnie Bass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New Jersey
Country: Ireland
Posts: 19,999
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRChazzer View Post
Devils I think are on their way down to becoming a mediocre team. I think losing Gomez will hurt them a lot from a playmaking standpoint and will especially hurt guys like Gionta and maybe Elias. If how Brodeur played in the postseason is any indication I can see that he's starting to turn into a downswing. I know he was dominant during the season, but he wasn't anywhere near the Brodeur we had seen for years in the playoffs. Could have just been burnt out, but who knows.

Two things I keep constantly hearing every off-season, 1) the Devils are on their way down, and 2) how the departure of a key player will hurt them badly.

But yet this never happens.

Ronnie Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 09:32 AM
  #3
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,519
vCash: 500
Cause you have Marty. You just better hope that the playoffs were an anomaly and that he was just burnt out because he looked downright terrible. Plus on top of that, the Devils don't look anywhere near as dominant as they were in the past, sorry to say...

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 09:35 AM
  #4
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,825
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God View Post
Two things I keep constantly hearing every off-season, 1) the Devils are on their way down, and 2) how the departure of a key player will hurt them badly.

But yet this never happens.
Yeah, but it has to happen eventually. Marty is not getting any younger, they keep losing key players and they farm system is not what it used to be.

The fact that the Devils have managed to withstand losing two Hall of Fame defenseman and other guys is a testament to Lou. But the cracks are beginning to show. Marty is playing too many games (and looked spent in the playoffs). And Lou taking over as coach was a strange move that didn't work.

And they play in arguably the toughest division in the league with the Rangers and Pens getting better and the Isles proving to be a tough team.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 09:36 AM
  #5
JR#9*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,733
vCash: 500
I think that is a pretty fair breakdown.

I think the Pens will be better due to just getting some experienece and as you said that can be pretty scary.MAF will have to find some consistency if they are to take the next step IMO.

NJD as has been predicted too many times before really do appear to finally be heading into a down swing and if Gomez walks I think they are truely **** as they have not one offesive center anywhere in the entire organization and no top end offensive centers are ever going to sign a deal to play in NJ so they will be even more offesnively inept next season.

The Isles appear to be pretty ,uch what they were this year, an average team that Nolan has playing hard and Rick is really starting to come into his own.They have to find a way to replace Blake as I think he walks but I think net/net we see pretty much the same type of team they had this season.

Philly can be a wildcard like we were after the lockout when nobody expected anything of us but to me this depends on getting a top end UFA center and even with that I think they did a great job of bringing in some youth but they need to have some more time to let guys like Parent and Coburn on defense into the mix as well as guys like Downie-Giroux.

The NYR's I think will add some sort of 2nd line center for even more balance and have some great depth from some of the prospects nipping at the heels, especially upfront.

Lundy will have another yr under his belt and I think the biggest improvement that will be made to the NYR's this offseason is a fully healthy Jagr that I don't think we saw at any point this year or in the playoffs.

I think he much more closely resemble the '05-06 Jagr than the '06-07 one and based on his comments about coming back better than ever I think we'll see him highly motivated because as you saw in the PO's you can see that he see's the light at the end of the tunnel and is trying to maximize what time he has left as one of the alltime greats.

JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 09:37 AM
  #6
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,519
vCash: 500
At this point I'm much more afraid of the Pens than the Devils. If the Pens played like they did in the 2nd half all season, they would have won the Atlantic with ease and maybe even the East.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 09:38 AM
  #7
McRanger
Registered User
 
McRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God View Post
Two things I keep constantly hearing every off-season, 1) the Devils are on their way down, and 2) how the departure of a key player will hurt them badly.

But yet this never happens.
Is there any player thats been more important to your team than Brodeur?

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 09:40 AM
  #8
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside
 
Ronnie Bass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New Jersey
Country: Ireland
Posts: 19,999
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRChazzer View Post
Cause you have Marty. You just better hope that the playoffs were an anomaly and that he was just burnt out because he looked downright terrible. Plus on top of that, the Devils don't look anywhere near as dominant as they were in the past, sorry to say...
Because we have Marty we are on a downfall? Com'on man, he didn't look great in the postseason but that's no reason to write him off and suggest goaltending is a problem for us, also saying we are not the dominant team as they were in the past - which I agree with 100% - and a mediocre team are two totally different things.

We might not be the force we once were, but that doesn't mean we are still not a team to be reckon with.

Ronnie Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 09:42 AM
  #9
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,519
vCash: 500
No, I mean that you never were on that downfall because of Marty. However, I think that he's starting to slip a bit and the rest of the team isn't what it used to be. In terms of Mediocre I don't mean that the Devils are going to be fighting for the last playoff spot, but I don't think they'll be the top team in the Atlantic like they have been for the last decade. I can see them finishing around 6th.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 09:42 AM
  #10
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,504
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God View Post
Two things I keep constantly hearing every off-season, 1) the Devils are on their way down, and 2) how the departure of a key player will hurt them badly.

But yet this never happens.
It's hard to discount the Devils, but the thing is that it seems like a lot of other teams are getting better, and the Devils aren't quite keeping up. That could just be an illusion, and getting contributions from players like Parise and Zajac has certainly helped them a lot, but when you look at a team like the Pens who are definitely an up and coming team, and a team like the Rangers who look to be pushing at every opportunity to make themselves a better team (whether from within or through trades, etc), the Devils might end up struggling a bit.

I think it's feasible that they could kind of switch places with the Rangers in the standings this coming year. Still make the playoffs, but struggle a bit more. It really depends on what they do regarding Gomez and how they handle the offseason. I think the points about Marty getting worn out are good ones as well. He was great in the regular season, but decidedly ordinary in the playoffs. How long is he going to keep bailing the Devils out?

It's not so much a "they're going to blow!" thing, as it is a question of whether or not they're really keeping up with the other teams in their division.

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 09:43 AM
  #11
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside
 
Ronnie Bass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New Jersey
Country: Ireland
Posts: 19,999
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
Is there any player thats been more important to your team than Brodeur?
Off course not, but what does have to do with anything? If anyone here really thinks we are in trouble because of Marty, you really need to ask yourself is that what you really think or is it wishful thinking.

__________________
1995, 2000, 2003..........
Ronnie Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 09:45 AM
  #12
JR#9*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,733
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God View Post
Two things I keep constantly hearing every off-season, 1) the Devils are on their way down, and 2) how the departure of a key player will hurt them badly.

But yet this never happens.

If you asked me Lou I'd say the demise did occur after Nieds walking as you have never been close to the same team and each of the last 2 seasons you guys came nowhere near the consistency you've shown in yrs past and weren't a real tough out in either of the playoffs after reaching the 2nd rd.

And this is the new NHL CBA wise where you don't own players rights until 31 anymore so asset management is way different now and players will have a choice at a much younger age now.

If Gomez walks which ceratinly sounds likely to happen just who will step into that spot?

The team struggled mightily to score with Gomez, one of the best puckcarriers/playmakers in the NHL and without him the struggle to score will be multiplied.

Who fills that hole and even if it is filled you have to even improve upon last years swuad which wasn't close to being good enough.

And that is not to mention who will be coching this team, yet again a new face behind the becnh unless it's Johnny Mac which I believe it should be.

JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 09:50 AM
  #13
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside
 
Ronnie Bass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New Jersey
Country: Ireland
Posts: 19,999
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRChazzer View Post
No, I mean that you never were on that downfall because of Marty. However, I think that he's starting to slip a bit and the rest of the team isn't what it used to be. In terms of Mediocre I don't mean that the Devils are going to be fighting for the last playoff spot, but I don't think they'll be the top team in the Atlantic like they have been for the last decade. I can see them finishing around 6th.
My opinion is not that he is slipping but he is being overused, he just looked like he was tired in the playoffs, especially against Ottawa, and people are misreading this as him losing a step.

Lou and the Devils have always let him dictate how many games he can play, they need to put their foot down and cut back his workload.

And honestly, I really don't see much difference between the Rangers and the Devils next season, I'm sure you guys do but I don't, if there is a team that will be reckon with in the Atlantic it will be Pittsburgh, that's who I see winning the division.

Ronnie Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 09:53 AM
  #14
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,504
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God View Post
My opinion is not that he is slipping but he is being overused, he just looked like he was tired in the playoffs, especially against Ottawa, and people are misreading this as him losing a step.

Lou and the Devils have always let him dictate how many games he can play, they need to put their foot down and cut back his workload.

And honestly, I really don't see much difference between the Rangers and the Devils next season, I'm sure you guys do but I don't, if there is a team that will be reckon with in the Atlantic it will be Pittsburgh, that's who I see winning the division.
I can agree with most of this post. The Devils and Rangers will be pretty close in the standings when it's all said and done, I believe, and Pittsburg has the firepower to take the division (the playoffs are another story...still not sure on that one.)

And yes, the Devils need to handle Broduer differently this coming year. No more letting him play every single game. Great, he broke the wins record and had a stellar regular season. If that came at the expense of the Devils postseason, then something isn't right.

He just needs to play fewer games.

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 09:55 AM
  #15
McRanger
Registered User
 
McRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God View Post
Off course not, but what does have to do with anything? If anyone here really thinks we are in trouble because of Marty, you really need to ask yourself is that what you really think or is it wishful thinking.
I've given up on the Devils falling apart years ago, so there is no wishful thinking here.

Of course as a Devils fan you might want to ask yourself if losing the most important piece of our team, with no replacement in sight, really not a problem, or is that wishful thinking?

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 09:59 AM
  #16
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,519
vCash: 500
Well, don't forget Marty will be 36 at the end of next season. He isn't all that young anymore. I'm not saying he's going to suck, but IDK if he's going to be the same as he was in the past.
I mean this past season was one of his best of his career, I won't deny that, but I guess we'll have to see.
Don't forget, Marty played an extra 5 games this season than his normal average of about 73. I know 5 games can be a lot, especially since he only had what, 4 games off this year. Which is quite insane. However, in the past he's played 77, 75, games and such. He's starting to get old.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 10:00 AM
  #17
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside
 
Ronnie Bass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New Jersey
Country: Ireland
Posts: 19,999
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I can agree with most of this post. The Devils and Rangers will be pretty close in the standings when it's all said and done, I believe, and Pittsburg has the firepower to take the division (the playoffs are another story...still not sure on that one.)

And yes, the Devils need to handle Broduer differently this coming year. No more letting him play every single game. Great, he broke the wins record and had a stellar regular season. If that came at the expense of the Devils postseason, then something isn't right.

He just needs to play fewer games.
Most definitely they do, and hopefully they will.

Anyways, I don't want to turn this thread into a Devils thread, just wanted to throw my two cents in because every offseason people always seem to write us off and then the following season they are proven wrong, I just get amused when people continue to do so.

Believe me, as a Mets fan I learned the hard way as well with trying to write the Braves off for many years because I learned I better not get ahead of myself and finally resigned myself that it is the Braves division until we take it ourselves, and we did last year, unfortunelty it took 15 years for that to happen.

Also it's way too early to guess what's going to happen next year when we really have no clue the makeup of any teams are going to be, there is a whole summer that will determine that.

Ronnie Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 10:04 AM
  #18
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside
 
Ronnie Bass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New Jersey
Country: Ireland
Posts: 19,999
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
I've given up on the Devils falling apart years ago, so there is no wishful thinking here.

Of course as a Devils fan you might want to ask yourself if losing the most important piece of our team, with no replacement in sight, really not a problem, or is that wishful thinking?
How is that wishful thinking when we have lost Holik, Arnott, Stevens and Neidermeyer and we still have rolled on? Why on earth would losing Gomez be any different?

I mean com'on, follow the history of this team before suggesting one skater makes or breaks this team, this organization has never been about one player - minus Marty of course. But even then we could be wrong on that as well.

Ronnie Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 10:06 AM
  #19
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,519
vCash: 500
IDK about that. When you have a goalie who averages 73 games a season and numbers like he has, you can't say that if Marty retired tomorrow the Devils wouldn't be screwed. The fact that your boy Clemmensen has a 3.14 GAA and a .889 save percentage behind the very same defense shows a lot. If Marty lets his age start to show in the upcoming seasons, then the Devils are in for a very tough time.


Last edited by WhipNash27: 05-22-2007 at 10:13 AM.
WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 10:06 AM
  #20
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside
 
Ronnie Bass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New Jersey
Country: Ireland
Posts: 19,999
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9 View Post
If you asked me Lou I'd say the demise did occur after Nieds walking as you have never been close to the same team and each of the last 2 seasons you guys came nowhere near the consistency you've shown in yrs past and weren't a real tough out in either of the playoffs after reaching the 2nd rd.

And this is the new NHL CBA wise where you don't own players rights until 31 anymore so asset management is way different now and players will have a choice at a much younger age now.

If Gomez walks which ceratinly sounds likely to happen just who will step into that spot?

The team struggled mightily to score with Gomez, one of the best puckcarriers/playmakers in the NHL and without him the struggle to score will be multiplied.

Who fills that hole and even if it is filled you have to even improve upon last years swuad which wasn't close to being good enough.

And that is not to mention who will be coching this team, yet again a new face behind the becnh unless it's Johnny Mac which I believe it should be.
Com'on JR, what demise? We have won the Atlantic two years in a row with out Neidermeyer, just because we haven't any more cups means we have demised.

Ronnie Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 10:14 AM
  #21
McRanger
Registered User
 
McRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God View Post
How is that wishful thinking when we have lost Holik, Arnott, Stevens and Neidermeyer and we still have rolled on? Why on earth would losing Gomez be any different?

I mean com'on, follow the history of this team before suggesting one skater makes or breaks this team, this organization has never been about one player - minus Marty of course. But even then we could be wrong on that as well.
I was talking about Marty, not Gomez. Not saying that he's done already, but Brodeur is 35 and can't play forever. When he goes, if the devils dont have a top notch replacement, it will be a tough transition. Any devils fan that doesnt believe that has bought into their own hype about being invincible.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 10:14 AM
  #22
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside
 
Ronnie Bass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New Jersey
Country: Ireland
Posts: 19,999
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
I was talking about Marty, not Gomez. Not saying that he's done already, but Brodeur is 35 and can't play forever. When he goes, if the devils dont have a top notch replacement, it will be a tough transition. Any devils fan that doesnt believe that has bought into their own hype about being invincible.
I couldn't agree more.

Ronnie Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 10:25 AM
  #23
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,519
vCash: 500
I can see Broduer getting hit hard with the aging too. You can say someone like Hasek is 42 and still playing amazing hockey. The difference is that Hasek has only played one season over 70 games and only 4 over 60. I mean since his 2nd season in Buffalo when he started to become the Dominator, he's only averaged 53 games per season. Brodeur since the 1995-1996 season has averaged close to 73 games. That's a whole 20 games per season extra. Hasek has also taken seasons off as well and even this season only played 56 games.

You're talking about a career difference of 197 games.

Roy retired at age 37 and even he was averaging in the 60s in games per season in his prime and ened and 40s earlier. He started playing quite a bit younger and had a longer career though.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 10:30 AM
  #24
JR#9*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,733
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God View Post
Com'on JR, what demise? We have won the Atlantic two years in a row with out Neidermeyer, just because we haven't any more cups means we have demised.
Yeah, last year you were as inconsistent as can be with 2 extended winning streaks covering up for the other long stretches of up and down play and that continued into the playoofs where you guys looked great vs us but not even in the same class as the Canes in rd 2 and then this year you guys played your stingy defense that kept all the games close but yu guys coul;dn't score to save your lives having only bested the Flyers in the east and the team was just playing lifeless, systematic hockey to the point where Lou had to fire the coach with 3 games left before the PO's and once again you guys struggled in rd 1 and got smoked in rd 2 so let's not act like "what demise" because in the decade prior even when the Devils were bounced they were a real togh out and their play was just much more well oiled machine like as opposed to the ups and downs and obvious holes of the last 2 seasons.

And the difference with Gomez walking unlike guys in yrs past is that there simply anything in the pipeline to allow for guys to walk and NJ simply isn't a desirable place for these top end offesive guys to play in so being that Gomez brings something that nobody else in the entire organization brings I really can't see how you can just say it will be same old, same old in replacing this guy.

I think tey'll be forced to go with a stopgap like Stumpel but Gomez, if he leaves will hurt w/o a doubt.

JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 10:33 AM
  #25
Devils Dominion
Conte's Critic
 
Devils Dominion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Larsson's Lair
Country: United States
Posts: 17,439
vCash: 500
I think the Devs and Pens will again battle it for first place.
Then NYR, Philly and NYI in last place.

Devils Dominion is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:50 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.