HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Atlantic Next Year

Old
05-22-2007, 11:41 AM
ThirdEye

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevsOwnYou View Post
I think the Devs and Pens will again battle it for first place.
Then NYR, Philly and NYI in last place.
Sorry, but I don't see that happening.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 11:44 AM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
I think the Devs and Pens will again battle it for first place.
Then NYR, Philly and NYI in last place.

Rangers and Pens I could see, but I think the Isles will be somewhere in the middle. As for the Devils being on the decline, I need to see further evidence. They always stay competitive even when they're in a vally. Philly, well let's just say they have some work to do, but we've been there. I say out of the gate it's going to be Rangers, Devils, Pens, towards the end of the season, things will be real tight again. I'm sure the Rangers will be real close to top of the conference though.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 11:46 AM
Devils Dominion
Zubrus Goal Drought

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Sorry, but I don't see that happening.
That is why they play the games. We will see, all rosters will have a lot of changes by training camp.
I see Philly getting much better, they can't get any worse.
I think the Isles are going to have a down year.
The Rangers are the wild card, I could see them making a good run or even missing the playoffs altogether. Remember, last season's regular season was worse then in the 2005-2006 season.
I can't wait til training camp, at least we have the draft coming up next month.

Devils Dominion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 11:47 AM
pld459666

what I think is going to hurt the Devils next year is not having the ability to bring Bergfors up.

In no way does he fully replace Gomez, but he's a player that many are comparing to Forsberg and not having him next season is gonna hurt.

Unless I missed something and he's going to be back, but I'm pretty sure that I read he signed in Europe or Russia for next season

Lou, any insight?

Rather an confirmation one way or the other on the rumor that he will be playing is Sweden next year?

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=373785

Last edited by pld459666: 05-22-2007 at 11:58 AM.
pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 11:49 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
That is why they play the games. We will see, all rosters will have a lot of changes by training camp.
I see Philly getting much better, they can't get any worse.
I think the Isles are going to have a down year.
The Rangers are the wild card, I could see them making a good run or even missing the playoffs altogether. Remember, last season's regular season was worse then in the 2005-2006 season.
I can't wait til training camp, at least we have the draft coming up next month.
and what improvements do you see the Devils making?

And who is going to replace gomez's offense being that even with him you guys couldn't score, how will the produce goals if he bolts?

JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 11:55 AM
Devils Dominion
Zubrus Goal Drought

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9 View Post
and what improvements do you see the Devils making?

And who is going to replace gomez's offense being that even with him you guys couldn't score, how will the produce goals if he bolts?
I wouldn't use ink to say that Gomer is a goner. The NY Post was sure that Elias was leaving too, and he ended up re-signing long term.
Even if he leaves, Lou will plug the hole by signing a FA.
Gomer would surely be missed, but when Holik signed the crazy $9 million deal with NYR after the 2002 season, many thought that this was the beginning of downturn in NJ.
As long as Marty and Patrik are healthy the Devs will be ok. They do have good young players ready to make an impact; Clarkson, Greene, Pelley, Fraser and Vrana to name a few.

Last edited by Devils Dominion: 05-22-2007 at 12:05 PM.
Devils Dominion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 12:11 PM
MrAlfie

Pittsburgh
Rangers
Devils
Flyers
Islanders

the first 3 teams will make the play offs the other two will be fighting for the 8th but miss the play offs just like the habs and the leafs did this year.

of course it is all dependent on the moves that will be made in the off season. who knows if sather trades jagr away,or the pens will get rid of staal or malkin, brodeur has a freak injury ....anything could happen.

MrAlfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 12:12 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Just out of curiousity... How come every single time the Devils are mentioned in any thread Devils fans instantly find it and they always feel the need to post in it? I've always been wondering this. Do you guys do a search and type in Devils just to see who's talking about your team or something?

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 12:19 PM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRChazzer View Post
Just out of curiousity... How come every single time the Devils are mentioned in any thread Devils fans instantly find it and they always feel the need to post in it? I've always been wondering this. Do you guys do a search and type in Devils just to see who's talking about your team or something?
we all read eachother's boards, especially when they're all so slow this time of yr so I fully welcome any and all posters, it makes things inetresting.

Old
05-22-2007, 12:21 PM
Richard Park 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlfie View Post
Pittsburgh
Rangers
Devils
Flyers
Islanders

the first 3 teams will make the play offs the other two will be fighting for the 8th but miss the play offs just like the habs and the leafs did this year.

of course it is all dependent on the moves that will be made in the off season. who knows if sather trades jagr away,or the pens will get rid of staal or malkin, brodeur has a freak injury ....anything could happen.
just out of curiosity, why the isles in last place? if it is because they are losing smyth? just look at their record without him and with him. not trying to argue, just would like to see some reasoning

Richard Park 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 12:22 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
we all read eachother's boards, especially when they're all so slow this time of yr so I fully welcome any and all posters, it makes things inetresting.
And there has not been any trolling or flaming. Makes for great conversation if you ask me.

05-22-2007, 12:24 PM
Nich

hey Wisc....who is that girl???? hottie!!!!

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 12:48 PM
MrAlfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscbadge1 View Post
just out of curiosity, why the isles in last place? if it is because they are losing smyth? just look at their record without him and with him. not trying to argue, just would like to see some reasoning

my ranking is just a gut feeling how the atlantic division will end next year.
like i said, its too hard to tell at this point of the year.
you dont know who the teams will sign,who they wont resign,who they trade away or who they will trade for.
im just taking a wild,wild guess.

Old
05-22-2007, 12:48 PM
TheRedressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscbadge1 View Post
Honestly I can't see the Islanders being in last place in the division. Lets say that all goes foul for the Isles and both Smythe and Blake bolt. They still have Satan, who is in a contract year and will have a big season also lets not forget that a healthy yashin was doing very well under Ted Nolan last year. The Sillinger-Hunter combo brings nice scoring and flare, while youngsters like Tambellini and Bergenhiem will step into 3rd line roles. On defense the team is set even if they don't re-sign Hill and in goal Rick DiPietro is the 3rd best goalie in the division behind Marty and Hank (two Vezina candidates) The Islanders will likely use free agency to plug holes like they did last year. I'd expect anywhere from 7-10th place for them next season.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 12:56 PM
MrAlfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedressor View Post
Honestly I can't see the Islanders being in last place in the division. Lets say that all goes foul for the Isles and both Smythe and Blake bolt. They still have Satan, who is in a contract year and will have a big season also lets not forget that a healthy yashin was doing very well under Ted Nolan last year. The Sillinger-Hunter combo brings nice scoring and flare, while youngsters like Tambellini and Bergenhiem will step into 3rd line roles. On defense the team is set even if they don't re-sign Hill and in goal Rick DiPietro is the 3rd best goalie in the division behind Marty and Hank (two Vezina candidates) The Islanders will likely use free agency to plug holes like they did last year. I'd expect anywhere from 7-10th place for them next season.

last place in the atlantic division doesnt mean last place in the conference.
you can be last in the atlantic division but still make the play offs
the atlantic had 4 teams in the play offs this year. so when i say Isles 5th place in the atlantic it doesnt mean they will battle for the lottery pick.

Old
05-22-2007, 01:13 PM
TomLaidlaw

I think the Islanders have alot of questions going into the off season.

-Smyth and/or Blake possibly leaving?
-Yashin ending the year as a 4th line player with his contract.
-Sean Hill, will he even be back for them, he is old and the drug issue may have hastened his retirement. He was a big part of their defense last year.
-DP's concussion issue, will it have any lingering effects. Will he be more prone to future concussions. We saw first hand how devasting and lingering that injury can be to a goalie(Richter)

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 01:51 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

without knowing any of the offseason moves heres how i see it shaking out

Rangers
Pens
(these 2 are a coin flip imho)
Isles
Devils
(these 2 are also a coin flip)
Flyers

I can see the Rangers turning into an elite upper echelon team with the right signing or 2. Elite goaltending, mediocre-decent defense that gets augmented in a system where the forwards help out tremendously. Excellent, but an aging offense.

The pens are going to be a scary team, but nobody will convince me that MAF is an upper echelon goalie. Personally, i dont think he is that great at all. Their D is also fairly shaky at times.

Isles. As long as nolan is their coach, they will be competitive. I think this all comes down to Smyth. If he comes back, i think they will push for the division crown. If he doesnt, and i dont expect him to, then they will be around 3rd.

Devils. Devils just didnt impress me at all last year. Despite winning the division and all that, they just are laughable on the offensive end. At least the Rangers, when they score 1 or 2 goals in a game, are creating tons and tons of chances, these guys really dont create too many chances. Brodeur had a tough playoffs, is it a product of teams figuring him out? I guess we will see next year. They are also in deep trouble with their cap problems, and its only going to get worse as more and more players will want raises and extensions. Theyre going to lose their #1 center, not exactly an easy thing for any team to stomach.

Flyers wildcard, they are just too much a blank sheet to make a prediction. hence i leave em at the bottom.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 02:01 PM
Richard Park 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedressor View Post
As much as this may amaze you, Poti is a UFA and most isles fans will tell you it would be a devastating loss if he didnt return.

The way I see things shaping now is four of the five teams again will qualify. As long as Jagr is motivated and Hank plays half as good as he did post all-star break, you have to assume the rangers will be a top 5 seed. I think the isles are going to be in the 6-8 range, pending a healthy DP (which is a big if). The penguins are the team to beat, but if Fleury improves, they will be an enlite team in the NHL.

Richard Park 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 02:03 PM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God View Post

Believe me, as a Mets fan I learned the hard way as well with trying to write the Braves off for many years because I learned I better not get ahead of myself and finally resigned myself that it is the Braves division until we take it ourselves, and we did last year, unfortunelty it took 15 years for that to happen.
Amen to that man...so sick of the Braves as a mets fan so last year was nice.... and now of course this year they are doing well again..
OT baseball i know, but I couldn't resist.

On topic, I think that we will be up there again, as will the devils who over the years we know will find a way to be contending for the division when the end of the year comes.... Iles will be about the same and I would like to go on record as saying that the Flyers will be a thorn in our side for much of the year and will surprise many... could easily be this year's Pitt an I would not be surprised if they finish neck and neck with us.

Staggarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 03:13 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Yeah, last year you were as inconsistent as can be with 2 extended winning streaks covering up for the other long stretches of up and down play and that continued into the playoofs where you guys looked great vs us but not even in the same class as the Canes in rd 2 and then this year you guys played your stingy defense that kept all the games close but yu guys coul;dn't score to save your lives having only bested the Flyers in the east and the team was just playing lifeless, systematic hockey to the point where Lou had to fire the coach with 3 games left before the PO's and once again you guys struggled in rd 1 and got smoked in rd 2 so let's not act like "what demise" because in the decade prior even when the Devils were bounced they were a real togh out and their play was just much more well oiled machine like as opposed to the ups and downs and obvious holes of the last 2 seasons.

And the difference with Gomez walking unlike guys in yrs past is that there simply anything in the pipeline to allow for guys to walk and NJ simply isn't a desirable place for these top end offesive guys to play in so being that Gomez brings something that nobody else in the entire organization brings I really can't see how you can just say it will be same old, same old in replacing this guy.

I think tey'll be forced to go with a stopgap like Stumpel but Gomez, if he leaves will hurt w/o a doubt.
longest....sentence...EVER

Old
05-22-2007, 03:18 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
lol, quite impressive. 177 word sentence

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 03:41 PM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
You should see some of my old rants where I could really get going on a thought w/o coming up for air.

Old
05-22-2007, 03:48 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
You should see some of my old rants where I could really get going on a thought w/o coming up for air.

Old
05-22-2007, 03:49 PM
Adam Larsson

a lot of wishful thinking going on in this thread..the devils and islanders equal?..that comment took two years off my life..

Adam Larsson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 04:58 PM
wereback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God View Post
How is that wishful thinking when we have lost Holik, Arnott, Stevens and Neidermeyer and we still have rolled on? Why on earth would losing Gomez be any different?

I mean com'on, follow the history of this team before suggesting one skater makes or breaks this team, this organization has never been about one player - minus Marty of course. But even then we could be wrong on that as well.
How many cups have you won since that crew left???

wereback is offline   Reply With Quote