HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

lundqvist vs montoya debate

Old
05-22-2007, 02:45 PM
vargas*

vCash: 500
lundqvist vs montoya debate

ok folks
lets list the pros and cons of both goalies and see which one gets the approval of this comunity

LUNDQVIST
pros:
2 years of nhl experience
quick legs

cons:
on his knees way too much
awful glove hand
european (fans cant relate)

MONTOYA:
pros:
american (fans can relate and embrace better)
already a proven winner
rapid development
best goalie in the ahl

cons:
no nhl experience

imo montoya has a higher ceiling to his upside and is going to be the new richter for team USA and for the rangers if they keep him. what would be better then an american all-star goalie in new york???

vargas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 02:48 PM
broadwayblue

I think NA fans have been able to relate just fine to Henrik. And awful glove hand? Hardly.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 02:49 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

there is no discussion here imho. Henrik is the goalie of the future barring a career ending injury. Monty has no place on this team other than to be a backup. He will be moved.

not much else to say.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 02:50 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vargas View Post
ok folks
lets list the pros and cons of both goalies and see which one gets the approval of this comunity

LUNDQVIST
pros:
quick legs

cons:
awful glove hand

MONTOYA:
pros:
already a proven winner
rapid development
best goalie in the ahl

cons:
no nhl experience

imo montoya has a higher ceiling to his upside and is going to be the new richter for team USA and for the rangers if they keep him. what would be better then an american all-star goalie in new york???

Being a European is a con because fans can't relate? Lundqvist is arguably the most popular Ranger since Leetch was traded.

I don't think he has a bad glove hand.

And it's not two years of NHL experience. It's two years in the NHL with back to back 30 win seasons and back to back Vezina finalists.

How exactly is Montoya a proven winner and Lundqvist isn't?

And if his con is he has no NHL experience, that's a pretty big con.

Sorry, but your bias is coming through loud and clear.

05-22-2007, 02:53 PM
vargas*

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
And awful glove hand? Hardly.
yes his glove hand is terrible. he always gets beaten high just above his left shoulder, thats his weak spot cuz he is always flopping on his knees.

vargas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 02:55 PM
NYR1724

Henrik's got a gold medal and he's won championships in the Swedish Elite League. I would think thats enough to suggest that he can win. Also he elevated his game to a new level in the playoffs. I do think that Al Montoya is going to be a good goaltender, but I think he's going to have a hard time surpassing Henrik. As another poster mentioned, Henke is probably the most popular Ranger since Leetch got traded and I would argue that he's the face of the franchise. Everyone loves Jagr, but he was not drafted by the Rangers. Lundqvist is home grown and I think that means a lot to this fan base. I think Montoya is going to be a starting goalie in the NHL, however it will probably not be with the Rangers.

NYR1724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 02:58 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
yes his glove hand is terrible. he always gets beaten high just above his left shoulder, thats his weak spot cuz he is always flopping on his knees.
I doubt there are any starting NHL goalies with TERRIBLE anything, except perhaps stick handling. His glove hand may not be spectacular, but it's anything but terrible. The shots that hit the corner of the net "high" above his shoulder are goals on just about all goalies most of the time. It's called a perfect shot. Are there goalies with better glove hands? Probably. Is his glove hand terrible. Not even close. End of story.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 03:08 PM
bathgate

Is there another goalie who has been nominated for the Vezina trophy in his first two years in the league. After Christmas, was there a better goalie in the NHL? I would not trade Henke for any other goalie in the league. The only goalie that is mentioned in the same breath is Luongo.

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 03:11 PM
Prucha25Graves988*

I dont thik there is any comparison, Lundqvist is here to stay and first cxhance NYR can get a very good prospect ortop 6 NHL proven plyer ( a young guy at that ) Montoya will be moved. Henk is the future of this team and I think its very obvious.

Prucha25Graves988* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 03:13 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Being a European is a con because fans can't relate? Lundqvist is arguably the most popular Ranger since Leetch was traded.

I don't think he has a bad glove hand.

And it's not two years of NHL experience. It's two years in the NHL with back to back 30 win seasons and back to back Vezina finalists.

How exactly is Montoya a proven winner and Lundqvist isn't?

And if his con is he has no NHL experience, that's a pretty big con.

Sorry, but your bias is coming through loud and clear.
Yep, that about covers it Singin'. Guess this guy hasn't heard the Henrik chants (or seen the # of people wearing his jersey) at the Garden.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 03:14 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Lundqvist>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Montoya

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 03:15 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
ok folks

LUNDQVIST
pros:
quick legs

cons:
awful glove hand

MONTOYA:
pros:
already a proven winner
rapid development
best goalie in the ahl

cons:
no nhl experience

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 03:17 PM
dank

Quote:
that, plus your original post beg me to ask the question, 'are you even a Lunqvist/Rangers fan'?

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 03:24 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
what would be better then an american all-star goalie in new york???
Especially when he's Cuban!

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 03:31 PM
MrAlfie

that reminds me of something.. anyone seen that Kluivert4Ever guy lately?

he kinda disappeared after lundqvist stood on his head during pretty much every game in the play offs

MrAlfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 03:33 PM
dkich96

Quote:
ok folks

LUNDQVIST
pros:
quick legs

cons:
awful glove hand

MONTOYA:
pros:
already a proven winner
rapid development
best goalie in the ahl

cons:
no nhl experience

Are you Monty's agent or PR rep? What is your point, Monty is better than Hank? The fact that you are comparing two goalies that have been playing on different levels already contaminates your sample pool, thus your conclusion in invalid... Secondly, I don't exclude the possibility that Monty might be the next coming of Richter, but only time will show that.

PS Monty is of Cuban descent for your information. Additionally, NY has a very large immigrant population that has no problems embracing an immigrant. i.e. Tik, Mes, Gretz, "alcoholic, aka Theo" Kovalev, Zubov, Jagr, Hank, Pruuuuks, etc.

Last edited by dkich96: 05-22-2007 at 03:40 PM.
dkich96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 03:34 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
ok folks

LUNDQVIST
pros:
quick legs

cons:
awful glove hand

MONTOYA:
pros:
already a proven winner
rapid development
best goalie in the ahl

cons:
no nhl experience

Wow....

You are so clearly biased in favor of Montoya that it's not even worth trying to argue.

Edit - I take that back, after looking at your posting history you seem to be very anti-european, so your in fact clearly biased against Lundqvist.

Last edited by FLYLine24: 05-22-2007 at 03:54 PM.
FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 03:37 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Montoya may be of Cuban descent, but he was born in Illinois, so he's as American as anyone.

Though I must admit, if Montoya had been born in Cuba, and made a raft out of his goalie pads and rode that to Florida, it would make a great story.

Kodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 03:37 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Especially when he's Cuban!
I didn't realize there was a town in Cuba called Glenview. When you find it on a map of Cuba, please post the link!

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 03:40 PM
ogie

If Montoya is good enough to give Hank a run for the top job in the future do we win either way. Either we have a hot young goalie or a proven guy that has a youngster hot on his heels making sure he don't screw up and loose his job. Either way it is a win/win. But I do think the Rangers will move Montoya eventually espically if they sign Hank to a long term contract. This is how i see it going down.

Spring 2007: Rangers trade away Weekes(who wants to pay a backup 2million a year)

Fall 07: Hank and Montoya both have amazing camps and the Rangers have two awesome young goalies at their disposal.

Season 07-08: Hank has an amazing year thanks in part to the rest he can get knowing he has Al to back him up. Al proves himself to be NHL ready.

Spring 08: Rangers trade Montoya for the top pick in the 08 draft. Using that pick to take Jared Staal

Two staals on the same team.....in the bright lights and big city. That my friend is what will go down in history as the rebirth of the NHL.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 03:45 PM
Chimp

"Flops on the ice on his knees"? It's called the butterfly stance. It's called playing the stats, if you cover the lower part of the net, you take away about 70% of the goals scored on you. Lundqvist just happens to be perhaps the best in the entire league in covering the lower part of the net. Brodeur is one of the few standup goalies left in the league and even he does play a hybrid.

Also, for your information, no goaltender - or human being for that matter - will be able to catch anything just above your shoulder. Let a friend throw a tennisball over your shoulder and see how many of them you're able to catch.

Your normal nationalistic BS shines through as usual. Who frigging cares which country a person is from, it's the person that matters. Pretty hilarious though to read that Montoya is a "proven winner" when compared to Lundqvist, and Lundqvist isn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlfie View Post
that reminds me of something.. anyone seen that Kluivert4Ever guy lately?

he kinda disappeared after lundqvist stood on his head during pretty much every game in the play offs
I don't know, ignore lists kind of do that to people.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 04:01 PM
philbo

Quote:
What?? Always getting beaten??

Kind of bumed your Sabres got nothing but a President's trophy huh?

Well it was a nice try by you. We're not that gullable.

btw....Didn't Alfie's goal whizzing by Miller's glove?

philbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 04:05 PM
NYR fan 2

Send a message via AIM to NYR fan 2
You should change the title, it's no debate. Lundqvist is better.

NYR fan 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 04:14 PM
Nich

honestly, there are tons of europeans in New York...so i don't understand how they won't relate. and bad glove hand is bs....only bad habit is him trying to play the puck out of the net.

and yes he is on his knees alot...but considering 70% of goals are scored down low, i for one and happy with him being the best goalie in the league down low.

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 04:20 PM
Geogaddi

Wow what a joke. The only knock that i have on Henrik is when he plays the puck.

Geogaddi is offline   Reply With Quote