HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

blues/sharks proposal

Old
05-22-2007, 03:43 PM
teal

vCash: 500
blues/sharks proposal

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=7669

"There are three teams that are interested in Patrick Marleau, although I am not certain that the Sharks are willing to move him. The Leafs (e3), Habs (e1), and Blues (e2)..."

until i read this, i hadn't really thought of a blues/sharks trade.

what would the blues give up for marleau?

keep in mind needs of both teams, no idiotic lopsided proposals please!

teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 03:53 PM
dan1319

St-Louis 1st round and 5 round for Marleau

dan1319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 04:03 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

Available - a combination of the following:

one of our Swedish centers (Soderberg, Berglund)
one of our young D-men (Woywitka, Polak, Jackson)
one of our established D-men (Salvador, Backman)
one of our boom-or-bust forward prospects (Aaltonen, Lemtyugov, Drazenovich)
one of our goalie prospects (Barulin, CBT, Bacashihua, Berra, Bishop)
draft picks....lots and lots of draft picks

Off-limits: EJ, Oshie & Schwarz

....go crazy....feel free to choose as many of the above as you think it would take and propose away. Young roster players (Stempniak, Backes, etc.) will likely not be part of the discussions, as the Blues are clearly still in a rebuilding mode. Veteran roster players are available, in plenty.

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 04:07 PM
fan in oregon

I would first offer Barrett Jackman to see if they were even remotely interested in the deal at all I would offer additional picks in the draft then i would offer see what other players they would be intersted in. I wouldnt let go of the following players.
Legace,Scwartz,Bishop, Brewer, Erik Johnson, Mc.Clement, Stepniak, Backes, Berglund. I might part with Oshie but I would more than just Marleau maybe a guy like
Mark Bell. I just doing this off the top of my head but hows this for a serious offer
for Marleau, Bell, and !st next year I will send Barrett Jackman, T.J. Oshie and the 9th
overall pick of this years draft.

fan in oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 04:45 PM
teal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1319 View Post
St-Louis 1st round and 5 round for Marleau
oops, i forgot the sharks were rebuilding.

teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 05:06 PM
Frenzy1

Depends on Marleau. Is he signed long term or is he a UFA next season (08)?

If he isn't signed long term then I wouldn't trade for him. If he is signed for 3 more years, then I would look at a combo of this:

1. Backman
+ Cajanek to help at Center next year
+ 9th overall
+ Soderberg

or

1. Jackman
+ Cajanek
+ Soderberg

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 06:08 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1 View Post

If he isn't signed long term then I wouldn't trade for him. If he is signed for 3 more years, then I would look at a combo of this:

1. Backman
+ 9th overall
+ Soderberg

or

1. Jackman
+ Cajanek
+ Soderberg
So...... Jackman is worth as much to The Blues as Bäckman AND a top 10 pick in this year's draft.

Bäckman (A decent #4 NHL defenceman (with a better upside-having played tentatively after injury) plus Cajanek (a 15 goal 50 point scorer-with play on the rise), Soderberg (a good tier 2 (7.0 C+prospect ) AND a top 10 pick in this year's draft for Marleau, alone.

I think The Blues would be overpaying here (at least in terms of potential long-term utility to them). Presumably, such overpayment would be needed to pry Marleau away, especially as no top-tier player would be coming back to Sharks. Presumably, The Blues would be willing to make this overpayment to prove to St. Louis fans that they are serious about winning (to bring fans back into the seats quickly), and to not pass up an opportunity to acquire a young top-ier player of his calibre (as such players are not always available just when you want most to add them).

With all the young talent The Blues have acquired in the last 3 years, and all the accummulated draft choices, they CAN afford to make this slight overpayment.

I don't think The Sharks have any intention of letting Marleau go. They should find a way to keep him as well as Thornton. But, if The Blues can pull it off for the above-mentioned, I'm all for it.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 06:16 PM
TrustInJarmo*

I would love to have Marleau!! One of the most underrated players in the NHL.

He is only signed thru next year and than is a UFA.

He makes 4.5 milion. I would make a trade and do nothing else the rest of the year and except call Marleau's agent every day to get a long term deal done before he is a free agent next summer.

I'm not sure what San Jose is looking for?? Defense? Scoring? Not sure what prospects they have...

But I would have no problem giving up one of our later 1st rounders and a Backman and another (lower) prospect.

Last edited by TrustInJarmo*: 05-22-2007 at 06:30 PM.
TrustInJarmo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 06:23 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1 View Post

1. Backman
+ 9th overall
+ Soderberg

or

1. Jackman
+ Cajanek
+ Soderberg
I would favor the Backman deal you proposed although I couldnt really object to either.

I cant see why San Jose would go sour on Marleau, I dont think there is much to this rumor.

c-carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 09:58 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp View Post
I cant see why San Jose would go sour on Marleau, I dont think there is much to this rumor.
I don't think it's that they've really soured on him; rather, the team is in need of a shake-up. The Sharks are beginning to look like the 1980's Washington Capitals. A good regular season team, but never break through in the playoffs. San Jose should have gone to a final by this point. They've blown two series' that were completely in hand the last two years, and maybe even three if you go back to 2004, but that was a much different team. I think it would kind of be like Ottawa trading Marian Hossa for Heatley two years ago.

The reason Marleau is being mentioned specifically is because he's their most tradable asset. A point-per-game center in his prime with no injury history at all, and a pretty decent playoff record until this year. That underlined statement is why he was a quick target. When Marleau becomes a UFA he will likely get $6 million plus. Can the Sharks afford him and Thronton both? Maybe, but if they can get good assets for him now they will consider moving him rather than seeing him go for free. But I also doubt you'd see a trade consisting mainly of picks and prospects, because the Sharks want to win now. If they were to trade with the Blues, St. Louis would probably have to give up something like "Jackman, Cajanek, Dvorak/9th overall pick" (And before it's brought up, I'm not equating Dvorak with the 9th pick. That pick is much more valuable to St. Louis than to the Sharks, and vice-versa with Dvorak). Is that too many roster players/assets to give up for a guy who's very good, but not elite? It would be if Marleau left after one year, no doubt. But if he signed a long-term extension, it could certainly be considered.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 10:14 PM
maseman19

If Marleau would sign an extenion I would offer Backman, Cajanek, Kana/Soderberg, a first rounder, a later pick. And Bacashihua depending on if they wanted to move Tosk or Nabby, otherwise it would be too much salary to take on. But would SJ really want Cajanek? I just don't see him being a key piece to a deal. Maybe for a later draft pick but not much else.

maseman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 11:32 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post

When Marleau becomes a UFA he will likely get $6 million plus. Can the Sharks afford him and Thronton both? But I also doubt you'd see a trade consisting mainly of picks and prospects, because the Sharks want to win now. If they were to trade with the Blues, St. Louis would probably have to give up something like "Jackman, Cajanek, Dvorak/9th overall pick" (And before it's brought up, I'm not equating Dvorak with the 9th pick. That pick is much more valuable to St. Louis than to the Sharks, and vice-versa with Dvorak). Is that too many roster players/assets to give up for a guy who's very good, but not elite? It would be if Marleau left after one year, no doubt. But if he signed a long-term extension, it could certainly be considered.
If I'm The Sharks, I don't think I'd let Marleau go for that package, or the others mentioned above. Regardless of getting the 9th pick, I'd want a better forward along with Jackman. I think there are other teams that will offer packages more to San José's liking than what The Blues will offer.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 01:39 AM
milieu bluez

Why trade for Marleau when we could just buy one of the UFA this year, and keep all our prospects. Marleau is great but Ryan Smith, Gomez, or Drury maybe had for just the salary.

milieu bluez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 04:02 AM
DrVanntastic

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by milieu bluez View Post
Why trade for Marleau when we could just buy one of the UFA this year, and keep all our prospects. Marleau is great but Ryan Smith, Gomez, or Drury maybe had for just the salary.

These are always my favorite respones.

We could just buy a UFA, but so could 29 other teams. You trade an assett so that you are gauranteed said player.

What if we had a deal in principle for Marleau, but JD decided not to because we are getting close to a deal with Gomez. We pass on the deal with Marleau, but Gomez signs somewhere else. We miss out on Marleau because we didn't want to give up an assett.

I know my example could be considered a bit extreme in that I don't think JD is stupid enough to do that. I just get tired of people saying they don't want to trade an assett because they can just sign a guy for free. It isn't always that damn easy.

DrVanntastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 06:06 AM
milieu bluez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noteman View Post
These are always my favorite respones.

We could just buy a UFA, but so could 29 other teams. You trade an assett so that you are gauranteed said player.

What if we had a deal in principle for Marleau, but JD decided not to because we are getting close to a deal with Gomez. We pass on the deal with Marleau, but Gomez signs somewhere else. We miss out on Marleau because we didn't want to give up an assett.

I know my example could be considered a bit extreme in that I don't think JD is stupid enough to do that. I just get tired of people saying they don't want to trade an assett because they can just sign a guy for free. It isn't always that damn easy.
Well tired or not,

yes your right its not that easy to just sign free agents. But I don't think making trades for major player is much easier. Making a pitch while we are still in rebuild mode seem well damm stupid, imo. Having Marleau would be great but at the same time there is enough in the UFA market right now that althought it won't be "damm easy" it should be doable to get some quality up front without sacrificing youth. In any case I trust JD's judgment, and will see how damn easy he makes this

milieu bluez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 06:53 AM
vatali
Life Long Slacker

Well, in the past, Marleau hasn't been a test the market kind of guy as an RFA, so you might have a decent chance to resign him if you had him for a yer.

As for what the blues could offer, it would have to be someone strong on the left side, a #1 or #2 defensman with offensive abilities, perfer someone right handed. No goalies, not even farm ones. And picks are not really that valueable to the Sharks. Also, our roster is full, so we can't take any salary dumps back.

Go on that idea. See if the Blues have the necessary items to make a deal with the Sharks.

And BTW, i'm not saying they get a #1 D and a #1 LW, but that are thier needs.

vatali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 07:29 AM
maseman19

Well then it's Backman and Cajanek/Ruchinksy. You're not getting EJ and the only d-man that fits that bill in Backman. He may not be a #1 yet but he's oh-so-close to reaching that top pairing status. He can run a powerplay too. As for left wing, the Blues don't have much as Cajanek and Ruchinsky are the only ones that fit the bill. Both are UFA's in 08 so you wouldn't be stuck with long contracts.

maseman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 10:34 AM
fcpremix88

vCash: 602
IMO:

Drury>Gomez>Briere>Marleau

Unless we can get him for Cayanek and Backman i dont want him really...

fcpremix88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 12:13 PM
trublu16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiodos View Post
IMO:

Drury>Gomez>Briere>Marleau

Unless we can get him for Cayanek and Backman i dont want him really...
Are you serious?

Of that list Marleau is tops and Gomez is at a very close 2nd and Drury is not that far away. Anyway, there are only 2-#1 centers in that list (Marleau,Gomez). And both of them have proven that they can carry a team as the #1 center. So that means you have 2 shots at getting a true #1 centerman Marleau or Gomez.

Marleau would look very very very good in a Bluenote. But if he is going to cost me on of my top 2 centerman prospects(Berglund, Soderberg), I am not interested.

To San: Backman,Kana,9th overal in 07
To Stl: Marleau

To me Backman needs a new system/team to reach his potential, it is just not happening in StL. Kana seems to me that could play all 3 forward positions, solid 2nd liner or great 3rd liner. And the 9th overall, can always hep with adding more prospects.

But his is probably not even close to what other teams will pay, but I can dream/hope of MArleau in the Bluenote come October.

trublu16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 01:06 PM
coolhandluke2410
"BleedBlue44"

Send a message via AIM to coolhandluke2410 Send a message via Yahoo to coolhandluke2410
most here would probably disagree

but if Marleau would agree to an extention.. and the Sharks wanted Jackman.. I'd trade Jackman to get Marleau.

coolhandluke2410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 01:17 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue44 View Post
most here would probably disagree

but if Marleau would agree to an extention.. and the Sharks wanted Jackman.. I'd trade Jackman to get Marleau.

No way would I part with Jax.

TrustInJarmo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 01:36 PM
fcpremix88

vCash: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu16 View Post
Are you serious?

Of that list Marleau is tops and Gomez is at a very close 2nd and Drury is not that far away. Anyway, there are only 2-#1 centers in that list (Marleau,Gomez). And both of them have proven that they can carry a team as the #1 center. So that means you have 2 shots at getting a true #1 centerman Marleau or Gomez.

Marleau would look very very very good in a Bluenote. But if he is going to cost me on of my top 2 centerman prospects(Berglund, Soderberg), I am not interested.

To me Backman needs a new system/team to reach his potential, it is just not happening in StL. Kana seems to me that could play all 3 forward positions, solid 2nd liner or great 3rd liner. And the 9th overall, can always hep with adding more prospects.

But his is probably not even close to what other teams will pay, but I can dream/hope of MArleau in the Bluenote come October.

Dead serious. He's a bit overrated.

I'd love Drury or Gomez, though.

Jackman should retire a Blue imo.

fcpremix88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 01:40 PM
Rush11

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu16 View Post

Change the #9 overall to one of the later first round picks & I think that this is a fair trade. If I'm the Blues, I want Marleau locked into a new contract before I pull the trigger on a deal.

Rush11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 01:54 PM
DrVanntastic

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush11 View Post
Change the #9 overall to one of the later first round picks & I think that this is a fair trade. If I'm the Blues, I want Marleau locked into a new contract before I pull the trigger on a deal.
I completely agree. Has to be a sign and trade or I take my money elsewhere.

This is one of the only offers I've seen where I would part with Jackman. If the Sharks need offense from the back though, Jax does not fit the bill.

Who are the top UFA Defensemen this year?

DrVanntastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 02:07 PM
Checker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noteman View Post
I completely agree. Has to be a sign and trade or I take my money elsewhere.

This is one of the only offers I've seen where I would part with Jackman. If the Sharks need offense from the back though, Jax does not fit the bill.

Who are the top UFA Defensemen this year?
So. This board, which has always blasted the Tkachuk deal as a bad deal and a deal which started us on the change of course from the successful "build from within strategy" to a strategy credited for us going through the mess that was the 2005-2006 season now wants to do something very similar? When we got Tkachuk he was a well established rare elite forward who was only a year or two older when we got him than Marleau is now. This is interesting.

Checker* is offline   Reply With Quote