HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Danny Briere: Staying at "home" in Buffalo "is worth some money". (TSN)

Old
05-23-2007, 04:18 AM
Steve L*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buphalo View Post
I don't get it, are you just here to hate on Buffalo or are you actually a fan of a team?
Are you telling me Vanek wouldnt improve my team and you wouldnt give up a 1st, 2nd and 3rd for him?

Steve L* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 04:19 AM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVpens View Post
Steve is HF's Official Hater.
Ill have to add the Canucks to my list now.

Old
05-23-2007, 04:21 AM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamefreak View Post
If the cap goes up to $48M, then another NHL team could, as of July 1, submit an offer sheet to Vanek for $5.44M and only be required to give up two firsts, a second, and a third. Buffalo, like you said, would match, but what adjustments would they have to make elsewhere?
Exactly, fans of the team whos being targeting only see it as them being screwed over. Not the other team trying to improve their team.

Either you improve your team or cause another team cap problems, its a no lose situation as long as you get your RFAs signed, no wonder Homers been busy.

Old
05-23-2007, 06:21 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamefreak View Post
If the cap goes up to $48M, then another NHL team could, as of July 1, submit an offer sheet to Vanek for $5.44M and only be required to give up two firsts, a second, and a third. Buffalo, like you said, would match, but what adjustments would they have to make elsewhere?
As I also said, see the Spacek-Kotalik thread elsewhere on the page. They're getting into Tampa style limits on their depth at certain positions if they tie up major dollars on him, Drury and Briere. However, it can be done.

Hell, it's almost welcoming if it meant they shipped Spacek out to make the cap space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
3.99 million is how much I would offer him. and he is worth every penny. I think the Sabres need to get him locked up QUICKLY, if he goes anywhere near arbitration I think some other team will make him an offer of at least 3.99 mil.
He's not arbitration eligible this summer.

05-23-2007, 06:33 AM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
He's not arbitration eligible this summer.
Still, if he becomes an RFA, Id be shocked if a team doesnt offer $3.99m, and maybe even up to $4.99m.

They need to sign him first, then one of Drury or Briere and then see if they can manage the other one.

If they sign Drury and Briere then they are in big trouble with Vanek if Vanek hits RFA status which is a distict possibility with them having a reputation for low balling their players.

Old
05-23-2007, 06:48 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L View Post

If they sign Drury and Briere then they are in big trouble with Vanek if Vanek hits RFA status which is a distict possibility with them having a reputation for low balling their players.
It's not gonna happen. Both Regier and Ruff, assuming they're back, know Vanek is the #1 priority.
Ruff's already stated a while back Vanek's the best player he's ever coached. (this was last season)

In all likeliness they'll sign Vanek, then see about Drury and Briere. If they both take paycuts to stay in Buffalo (around 5-5.5 million), the general opinion on the Sabres board is that Regier could package Spacek and Connolly and clear up cap space, maybe get a decent cheap(ish) player back.
If they both demand around 7m, regardless of how popular those two are in Buffalo, I very much doubt Regier will sign either of them. He's got a history of not overpaying, and what should be concerning for most of us who'd likely to somehow see both captains back, he's got a tendancy not to commit to long-term deals.
Which is precisely what Briere wants, and one would think, Drury as well, seeing as how they're both up for "career" contracts.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 08:13 AM
Steve L*

Of course thats exactly what should happen but a lot can go pear shaped. eg Vanek can hold out for $4m because he know he will get at least that with an offer sheet, possibly even $5m. Vanek has the Sabres bent over. He knows they cannot sign either UFA before him as it eats up cap space and the other teams will jump on this creating a huge problem for the Sabres.

The most likely scenario IMO is Vanek signs a 1 year $4m contract and then Drury signs and this unfortunately leaves Briere to go to the Flyers.

I highly doubt all 3 player accept below market value to stay in Buffalo but I do think they will retain 2 of them.

Old
05-23-2007, 08:18 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

I think in the sports-business world saying this: "But I'm just looking for it to be fair", is a really nice way of saying: "this is going to cost you a bundle".

05-23-2007, 08:58 AM
Oylerz

Edmonton already went through this with Smyth. Smyth said all of those things - "Playing in Edmonton is worth some money" and "I just want it to be fair." The Oil offered him 5.4 MILLION DOLLAR$$$ and he wanted 5.5. Now, if 5.5 is the hometown discount then it'll be interesting to see how much he signs for this summer - wherever he signs.

Oylerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 09:27 AM
Masterplan*

My guess is the only 'homers discount' he's willing to give will be the 5% commission for selling his house....

Masterplan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 09:41 AM
SomeDude

I hope he does stay just for the fact that 95% of Flyer fans already penciled him in for their lineup next year.

SomeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 10:05 AM
SabreCat

Vanek a priority?

Yeah, he's their future but will he take them to the Cup next year? Not likely and that's why the team needs to make Briere an offer ASAP to see if he's serious (I believe he is because the Sabres were the first team to really see his potential). Then they can take care of Drury, who'll likely get a matching amount. Then comes Vanek.

The catch is they need to sign all three before July 1 and the crazy offers start pouring in.

The team has said it's serious about bringing a cup to Buffalo. I still think it needs both Briere and Drury to do so.

SabreCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 11:00 AM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan-of-#9 View Post
Do you think he's being genuine?
Sure, he probably is, BUT "discount" is against what other teams offer him if he waits & explores UFA market, and even a discount isn't enough sometimes. Kubina offered to take $1 million less per year to stay in Tampa and that was still too much.

You'd also be mighty surprised at what some players think is a hometown discount.

05-23-2007, 12:04 PM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDude View Post
I hope he does stay just for the fact that 95% of Flyer fans already penciled him in for their lineup next year.
Me too, most Flyer fans are resigned to having him, not because they want him.

Old
05-23-2007, 12:07 PM
Kaktus*

Did people actually expect anythign different from Danny Briere? What was he suppose to say: No I do not want to play for Sabres I am looking to get paid?

He is as good as gone.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 12:08 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
a few things:

1- didn't briere go into salary arbitration last season? I think that proves that he is a little dissatisfied with the sabres' home team discount offers.
That's the first thing that went through my mind. It is kind of strange to go from a confrontational situation like that to almost unconditional love for the team and the city.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 03:12 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Did people actually expect anythign different from Danny Briere? What was he suppose to say: No I do not want to play for Sabres I am looking to get paid?

He is as good as gone.
For those who have said that he only said it because he was in Buffalo's locker room at the time, that's actually not true. That particular quote was conducted by the Montreal media...or if it's another quote I'm thinking of, they had identical sentiments.

With that said, what motivation does he have to lie about a home town discount? Unlike Smyth when that contract situation occured, he's not currently under contract, and could up and leave Bufalo whenever he felt like at this point.

Somehow I doubt he just feels the need to be liked before he laves, especially considering how he's been (in my view) unjustifyably railed by the Buffalo media at points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
That's the first thing that went through my mind. It is kind of strange to go from a confrontational situation like that to almost unconditional love for the team and the city.
Common knowledge around Buffalo is that it wasn't the dollar value, it was the length of the deal that Regier refused to budge on. I bet you could add a million to the exact contract that Briere wanted pre-arbitration and Regier would jump on it now.

This was Regier's worst offseason mistake by far last summer, Spacek be damned.

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 04:05 PM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
And McKee at $4 million per season is still a great deal of money for a #4 with some previous health issues --- and a conflict with the managing partner.

Briere has consistently made the comments that he would like to stay. It'll be interesting to see if he literally puts his money where his mouth is.
You literally want him to put $5+ M in his mouth?

Reminds me of that David Cross bit.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 05:10 PM
Afino
The Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
This stuff gets said all the time, but very rarely does it happen.

Buffalo would be playing a dangerous game even if they could manage to sign both Drury and Briere...because while people are skeptical about the offer sheet thing\Vanek...it's a new era, and the cap allows teams to play chess a little bit. Offer sheets are a cutthroat thing, but you can't blacklist GMs for it anymore...because it's something that everyone can and will do now, even from a strategic standpoint.

That said, I hope they do sign Briere...because I'd love for Nashville to get a shot at Drury...and Briere leaving could mean he winds up a Predator apparently, considering from his own mouth he says that he's heard Nashville is interested. No denying he's skilled, but I've seen what small skill guys get us.
Curious...

I suppose the CBA has rules in place to prevent another Carolina/Fedorov or Rangers/Sakic situation with offer sheets? Or is the cap a "natural" roadblock?

I was actually researching that last night....forgot how totally and utterly ridiculous those offer sheets were. Those two deals were the first big steps towards the lockout.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 05:27 PM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

Quote:
3.99 million is how much I would offer him. and he is worth every penny. I think the Sabres need to get him locked up QUICKLY, if he goes anywhere near arbitration I think some other team will make him an offer of at least 3.99 mil.
Ha, if another team gets Vanek to sign an offer sheet for $3.99 million, they're almost doing Buffalo a favor. Chances are a cap hit of a long term deal with Vanek would be at or above that.

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 05:37 PM
Flyersguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDude View Post
Having Biron is a big plus for us. Don't be a hater because your a scared Pens fan.

Flyersguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 05:43 PM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersguru View Post
Having Biron is a big plus for us. Don't be a hater because your a scared Pens fan.
Scared of what? We've got a couple of pretty good players, we're not hurting for Briere.

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 05:48 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transported Upstater View Post
Buffalo's not even the worst city in Upstate New York.
You're 100% correct. Syracuse is, and it's not even a competition. Believe me, I went to school there for a year. A few buddies and I decided to make a list of the only cities worse than Syracuse when it came to sh!thole US cities without any redeeming qualities. Here's the list we came up with, in no particular order:

Detroit, MI
Camden, NJ
East St. Louis, IL
Gary, IN

Feel free to add some more.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 06:22 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9teen7ty5 View Post
You're 100% correct. Syracuse is, and it's not even a competition. Believe me, I went to school there for a year. A few buddies and I decided to make a list of the only cities worse than Syracuse when it came to sh!thole US cities without any redeeming qualities. Here's the list we came up with, in no particular order:

Detroit, MI
Camden, NJ
East St. Louis, IL
Gary, IN

Feel free to add some more.
Benton Harbor, MI

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 07:14 PM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst233 View Post
Ha, if another team gets Vanek to sign an offer sheet for $3.99 million, they're almost doing Buffalo a favor. Chances are a cap hit of a long term deal with Vanek would be at or above that.
The Flyers would go for that, a contending team would go for $4.99m. 2 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd.