HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

Manitoba Bisons / CIS / 2007-08

Old
05-22-2007, 11:47 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet/Moose Fan

vCash: 525
Manitoba Bisons / CIS / 2007-08

click for Bisons Hockey page

Last year's thread is buried in the moosehockey.com inaccessible archives. I also have it at Ourbombers.com's hockey page here: [LINK]. It ends with an announcement of commitments from two players, Stephan Lenoski and Mark Olafson, from the WHL [LINK]. Now we can add a third such player, namely Mike Hellyer, captain of the Prince Albert Raiders in 2006-07. The story has no unique url and is currently the top one on the Bisons' hockey page.

The league schedule is not yet announced. The season usually starts the first weekend in October but last year the Bisons hosted Regina at the end of September. But if you want Bisons season tickets, [CLICK HERE]. If you want all-sports weekly e-mail updates, [CLICK HERE].

I love watching CIS hockey. It is by far the best value in sports entertainment in Winnipeg. All seven teams in the Canada West conference are well worth watching. I suspect that 2007-08 should be at least as good as 2006-07.

And, remember the statements of Lloyd Axworthy at the U of W about starting a team of their own. If they succeed in that we would likely have high quality hockey in Winnipeg every weekend all winter!

Bookmarks:

<> <>

Last edited by Hollywood3: 05-28-2007 at 12:48 AM.
Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2007, 09:29 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet/Moose Fan

Bisons sign another

[BISONS HOCKEY SITE]

Dalyn Flett, a vet of the WHL and OHL, is coming home to play for the Bisons. He seems to be a defensive defenceman. The story is at the top of the Bison hockey page as I post an dhas his detailed resume.

Now, all we need is a schedule!!! Isn't it high time that hockey season started? I haven't seen a hockey game in about a week now!

Prior links:

[Men's Hockey Recruit Two WHL Players for 07-08 Season] - April 24th announcement re: Stephan Lenoski and Mark Olafson.

[ Bison Recruit WHLís Prince Albert Raiders Captain] - May 22nd announcement re: Mike Hellyer.

Old
06-13-2007, 12:37 AM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet/Moose Fan

No schedule yet from Manitoba, but UND has announced their schedule and it includes a visit by the Bisons on October 7th. [LINK].

Old
06-18-2007, 12:31 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet/Moose Fan

Schedule Announced

Canada West released all of their fall schedules this morning. The page with links to all sports schedules is [HERE] and the pdf format hockey schedule is [HERE]. HTML links to the schedules are not up yet either at the Canada West site nor at the Bisons' site.

The Bisons open away to the Regina Cougars October 5th and 6th and the home opener is against the Saskatchewan Huskies October 12th and 13th at 7:00 pm at the Max Bell Arena.

Here are the home games:

October 12th & 13th: Saskatchewan Huskies
October 26th & 27th: Alberta Golden Bears
November 16th & 17th: Calgary Dinosaurs
November 30th & December 1st: Saskatchewan Huskies
January 25th & 26th: UBC Thunderbirds
February 1st & 2nd: Lethbridge Pronghorns
February 15th & 16th: Regina Cougars

Old
06-20-2007, 10:51 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet/Moose Fan

Non-conference games announced

[BISON SCHEDULE LINK]

The Bisons will play a pair of exhibition games in Dauphin at the D-CUP against Regina and Saskatchewan on September 15th and 16th. Hopefully Dauphin will give them a good boost.

They also have 3 tournaments. The pre-season one in Saskatoon September 21st and 22nd is usually just pre-determined exhibition games. On October 19th and 20th they will be in Omaha and they will be in Thunder Bay over Christmas.

They also will go to the USA for games in North Dakota (October 7th, following 2 games in Regina) and a mid-week affair in Bemdiji (November 20th).

Now we need a Moose schedule!

Old
06-26-2007, 10:57 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet/Moose Fan

Bisons sign MJHL's leading scorer

[BISONS HOCKEY SITE]

The Bisons announced the signing of Kyle Howarth, who led the MJHL in scoring last season while leading the Selkirk Steelers to the ANAVET Cup. He had a big year as an over-ager after having played 3 years in the WHL. This quote summarizes his stats:
Quote:
Howarth, 20, played with the MJHL’s Selkirk Steelers and led the league as the top scorer during the 2006-07 season. The Belair, MB native averaged over two points a game with Selkirk as he led the league and team with 141 points (38 goals and league-leading 103 assists) in 58 regular season games with 182 penalty minutes. In the MJHL playoffs, he added 21 points (13g, 8a) in 12 games as the Steelers won the MJHL Championship. Howarth had the longest point streak in the MJHL at 24 games (10/10/06-12/15/06), picking up 19 goals and 52 assists during streak.

At the 2007 ANAVET Cup, Selkirk defeated the Humboldt Broncos for their first ANAVET Cup in 33 years and advanced to the RBC Royal Bank Cup. Howarth contributed with three goals and seven assists during the grueling seven games ANAVET Cup best-of-seven series. At the 2007 RBC Royal Bank Cup, the 6’1” left winger added two assists in four games. He had a team-high nine game playoff scoring streak in the playoffs.
Manitoba Bisons v Manitoba Moose

The Herds collide yet again! Wednesday, September 26 at 7:30 p.m. at the T.G. Smith Center in Steinbach! Why not drive out there and buy a car?

The teams played two years ago and split a pair of games. I suppose they think they can sell some tickets out in Steinbach. Too bad they don't have their own Junior "A" team.

Prior links:

[Men's Hockey Recruit Two WHL Players for 07-08 Season] - April 24th announcement re: Stephan Lenoski and Mark Olafson.
[Bison Recruit WHL’s Prince Albert Raiders Captain] - May 22nd announcement re: Mike Hellyer.
[Men's Hockey Recruit OHL and WHL Vet Dalyn Flatt] - June 11th announcement re Dalyn Flett.

Old
08-06-2007, 12:57 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet/Moose Fan

The Bisons announced that Bison Sports had 68 CIS Academic All-Canadians. [LINK]

Also, the hockey schedule has been updated so as to include their non-conference tournament opponents. [LINK]

Old
08-12-2007, 09:16 AM
Dakota Sioux
Fear the Ear!!!!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood3 View Post

No schedule yet from Manitoba, but UND has announced their schedule and it includes a visit by the Bisons on October 7th. [LINK].
First game I go to every year for the past 4 or 5 years.Usually one-sided with the SIOUX cruising to a win but they do play everybody so it's nice to see all the SIOUX recruits.One thing about the Bison is they play hard and never give up.

Dakota Sioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2007, 01:10 PM
nags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Sioux View Post
First game I go to every year for the past 4 or 5 years.Usually one-sided with the SIOUX cruising to a win but they do play everybody so it's nice to see all the SIOUX recruits.One thing about the Bison is they play hard and never give up.
Let's trade a few of the Manitoba boys on UND and see what the score is. Hmmm, lets see two years ago, T. Zajac, J. Toews on Manitoba.

nags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2007, 04:32 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet/Moose Fan

Bisons sign Swift Current Broncos' captain

[BISONS HOCKEY SITE]

Just when I thought that recruiting was done by all university teams, the Bisons announced the signing of Myles Rumsey, another tough d-man and also the captain of the Swift Current Broncos last year. The story is on the Bison hockey main page at the above link. He is also a Calgary Flames draft pick. The article gives all his stats, but this blurb says lots:
Quote:
MacGillivray said, “Myles was a captain at Swift Current and brings tremendous leadership to the Bisons. He will be out until early November with an injury but has showed that he is versatile by playing a lot of minutes in numerous, different roles while leading a young Swift Current team.”

Rumsey was the Broncos assistant captain the previous two seasons prior to being named captain. At the end of the 2006-07 season, the 6’2”, 200 lb defenceman earned Swift Current team awards for MVP, Top Defenseman, Desire & Sportsmanship and Most Popular Player.

Prior to his WHL experience, Rumsey played for the Winnipeg South Blues.
With this signing, the Bisons really have an exciting group of new recruits with an emphasis on leadership (3 captains, I believe) and some size. There is also lots of WHL experience amongst this crop.

Also, the Bisons signed Billy Keane as an assistant coach.

Links to prior announcements:
- April 24th re: Stephan Lenoski and Mark Olafson [CLICK HERE]
- May 22nd re: Mike Hellyer [CLICK HERE]
- June 11th re Dalyn Flett [CLICK HERE]
- June 26th re Kyle Howarth [ CLICK HERE]

Manitoba Bisons v Manitoba Moose - [LINK] to the story on the game on September 26th in Steinbach against the Moose.

Meanwhile:
- Three Bisons were on Team Canada's silver-medal-winning volleyball team at the world university games. [LINK]

Last edited by Hollywood3: 08-23-2007 at 04:46 PM.
Old
09-12-2007, 12:07 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet/Moose Fan

PRE-SEASON SET TO START

The Bisons hockey site [LINK] has an update re: pre-season/non-conference games which begin this weekend in Dauphin. The games were previously listed on the [SCHEDULE PAGE]. The upcoming games are:
Code:
 DATE   	 OPPONENT     	 TIME	 PLACE/RESULT
Sept. 15 	Regina        	7:00 	Dauphin, MB
Sept. 16 	Saskatchewan  	5:00 	Dauphin, MB
Sept. 21 	Alberta       	7:15 	Saskatoon, SK
Sept. 22 	Calgary       	4:00 	Saskatoon, SK
Sept. 26 	Manitoba Moose	7:30 	Steinbach, MB
Meanwhile, the Alberta Evil Monkeys beat the Edmontown Greasers prospects 2-1. That's 6 wins for the Monkeys in the last 7 games for this series. [LINK] [BOX SCORE]

Old
09-15-2007, 10:17 AM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet/Moose Fan

OUT OF TOWN SCOREBOARD

September 14, 2007

Calgary 5
Lethbridge 2

Alberta 7
UBC 3

There were no links available as yet. I got the scores off the CW schedule [LINK].

The Bisons play Regina tonight at the D-CUP in Dauphin.

Old
09-16-2007, 09:12 AM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet/Moose Fan

Exhibition Games

BISONS SCORE EXHIBITION VICTORY

September 15, 2007

Manitoba Bisons 4
Regina Cougars 2

NAIT Ooks 3
Saskatchewan Huskies 2

Both games were played in Dauphin and the D-CUP. I would have liked a look inside the D-CUP last night. There are no links that I could find, but the Bisons hockey page had this blurb:
Quote:
September 15 - In the Manitoba Bisons men's hockey team first pre-season action of the 2007-08 season, the Bisons defeated the Regina Cougars by a 4-2 score in Dauphin, MB.

Goal scorers for the Herd were Stewart Thiessen with two goals, Wade Davidson and Mike Hellyer with one goal each.

Goaltender Justin Harris had a shutout in his 30 minutes of action and Krister Toews played the rest of the game.

In the other game, NAIT won 3-2 over Saskatchewan.

Manitoba will face the defending Canada West champion Saskatchewan Huskies on Sunday, September 16 at 5 pm. in Dauphin, MB
Now I know that this is only exhibition, but Sask cannot be happy about a loss to a college side from the ACAC. That said, I see that MacEwen beat the Evil Monkeys earlier on.

Meanwhile, on the out of town scoreboard:

UBC Thunderbirds 3
Alberta Golden Bears 3

Ironic that the same two schools also played each other in football. The Evil Monkeys won decisively last night so I guess the Birds had some incentive to redeem themselves.

Old
09-16-2007, 10:01 AM
Dakota Sioux
Fear the Ear!!!!!!

Any of you guys coming down to Grand Forks to watch the Bison take on the SIOUX in 3 weeks?I will be there.
BTW is Krister Toews related to Jonathon Toews?

Old
09-16-2007, 03:06 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet/Moose Fan

Quote:
Any of you guys coming down to Grand Forks to watch the Bison take on the SIOUX in 3 weeks?I will be there.
BTW is Krister Toews related to Jonathon Toews?
I thought of making that trip but my son will almost certainly have football playoffs that day.

I don't believe Krister is related to Jonathon. His profile is [HERE]. He is from Kleefeld, which is in southern Manitoba's bible belt while Jonathon's family is from Winnipeg.

Old
09-16-2007, 08:42 PM
Dakota Sioux
Fear the Ear!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood3 View Post
I thought of making that trip but my son will almost certainly have football playoffs that day.

I don't believe Krister is related to Jonathon. His profile is [HERE]. He is from Kleefeld, which is in southern Manitoba's bible belt while Jonathon's family is from Winnipeg.
Thanks for the info Hollywood3.If you happen to make it down you will have to let me know maybe we can meet for a cold beer between periods or before the game.That is if you like beer.

Old
09-16-2007, 10:46 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet/Moose Fan

Quote:
Thanks for the info Hollywood3.If you happen to make it down you will have to let me know maybe we can meet for a cold beer between periods or before the game.That is if you like beer.
Only if you have something imported from Canada! We aren't planning a weekend away this winter but you never know. The exchange rate is a lot better so a US trip is lots more attractive. Then I'd have to find a weekend where we have neither Moose nor Bison games, nor where my boy has a game. Come to think of it, I don't see myself getting away until sometime in the spring!

BISONS SWEEP IN DAUPHIN

September 16, 2007

Manitoba Bisons 4
Saskatchewan Huskies 2

Regina Cougars 4
NAIT Ooks 2

This was Day 2 of the Dauphin weekend for the four teams. The Bisons hockey page had this blurb:
Quote:
September 16 - In the Manitoba Bisons men's hockey team second pre-season action of the 2007-08 season, the Bisons defeated the defending Canada West champion Saskatchewan Huskies by a 4-2 score in Dauphin, MB on Sunday, September 16.

Goal scorers for the Herd were Wade Davidson, Nolan Waker, Calin Wild plus Colin Lafreniere (empty netter) each had one goal.

Goaltender Justin Harris played 30 minutes of action and Krister Toews played the rest of the game and had a shutout.

In the other game, Regina won 4-2 over NAIT.

Manitoba will continue their training camp and travel to Saskatoon for two non-conference games versus Canada West opponents Alberta (Sept. 21) and Calgary (Sept. 22).
The Bisons went 2-0 on the weekend, Regina and NAIT went 1-1, and Sask went 0-2.

I see that Justin Harris and Krister Toews split both games. I wonder if Steve Christie is back or not. Too bad they don't have an updated training camp roster.

Here is an oddity. Thiessen had 3 goals last year and had 2 on the weekend. Davison had 1 goal last year and 2 on the weekend. Lafreniere had 2 goals last year and 1 on the weekend. Hellyer is a new player. Wild was the only other goal scorer on the weekend and he was the only one who was a regular scorer last year, with 7 in 25 games.

Old
09-17-2007, 06:42 PM
Dakota Sioux
Fear the Ear!!!!!!

Springtime the SIOUX will be in Denver winning there 8th championship.

Old
09-20-2007, 10:24 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet/Moose Fan

BISONS OFF TO SASKATOWN

Here's what the Bison hockey site [LINK] says in a little blurb about the upcoming weekend:
Quote:
Bison Compete in Huskie Classic

September 20 - The menís hockey team will continue their 2007-08 season with a pre-season weekend series by traveling to Saskatoon for two non-conference games versus Canada West opponents Alberta at 7:15 p.m. on Friday, September 21 and Calgary at 4 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 22.

This is the third and fourth game action for the squad under second year Bisons head coach Don MacGillivray. There is 29 players (18 forwards, eight defencemen, three goalies) left at training camp and this will be a good chance for players to make a impactful impression with the coaching staff as they continue to battle for starting roles.

Manitoba had a 1-3 record versus Alberta during the 2006-07 conference season with the lone win at home. The Herd went 3-1 in Canada West against Calgary last season with the only loss on the road.
Not the greatest writing, eh?

The Dinos should be bolstered by some new additions. Jered Aulin has been announced as a new player for Calgary Dinos. He is now 25 years old and is eligible to play on November 12th, one year after his last AHL game. For details of that and four more player signings, [CLICK HERE] for a story from the Calgary Herald.

Old
09-22-2007, 08:13 AM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet/Moose Fan

BISONS DOWNED IN SASKATOWN

September 21, 2007

Manitoba Bisons 1
Alberta Golden Bears 5

Saskatchewan Huskies 4
SAIT Trojoans 1

Regina Cougars 0
Calgary Dinosaurs 2

The only link is from the U of S [HERE] which only discusses the U of S game. All games were in Saskatown. The Bisons play Calgary tonight. Hopefully the U of M site [LINK] will have some information on their loss to the Evil Monkeys.

Old
09-23-2007, 12:30 AM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet/Moose Fan

BISONS SWEPT AT HUSKY CLASSIC

September 22, 2007

Manitoba Bisons 3
Calgary Dinosaurs 8

Saskatchewan Huskies 4
Alberta Golden Bears 4

Regina Cougars 5
SAIT Trojoans 2

Once again, the only link is from the U of S [HERE]. Hopefully the U of M site [LINK] will have some more detail later on. As always in exhibition games, one wants to see what sort of line-up was dressed.

Anyhow, the Bisons are now 2-2 in the pre-season. Their last pre-season exhibition game is on Wednesday, September 26th in Steinbach against the Manitoba Moose. They then start the season in Regina on October 5th and 6th. They follow that with an exhibition game at UND on October 7th. (I don't see the point to that 3rd game in 3 days.)

The home opener is October 12th and 13th against the Saskatchewan Huskies.

ELSEWHERE ...

September 21, 2007

Lethbridge Pronghorns 2
UBC Thunderbirds 4

September 22, 2007

Lethbridge Pronghorns 1
UBC Thunderbirds 0

Old
09-23-2007, 07:13 AM
Dakota Sioux
Fear the Ear!!!!!!

So the Bison will have 7 games under their belt before the SIOUX even have 1.Bit of an advantage for the Bison eh.Of course it will also be their 3rd game in 3 days which is kind of dumb scheduling.Regardless I'm looking forward to the game.

Old
09-23-2007, 07:42 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet/Moose Fan

Quote:
So the Bison will have 7 games under their belt before the SIOUX even have 1.Bit of an advantage for the Bison eh.Of course it will also be their 3rd game in 3 days which is kind of dumb scheduling.Regardless I'm looking forward to the game.
So that explains why they are squeezing that game into that weekend. UND badly needs an opponent! I would have thought this upcoming weekend would have been better for it.

The Bisons hockey site has listed the goal scorers from the weekend. The updated blurb from the main page [LINK] has this:
Quote:
On Saturday, September 22
Manitoba 3 Calgary 8

1 2 3 F
Manitoba 0 1 2 3
Calgary 3 4 1 8

Manitoba - Calin Wild (2), Cole Hunter
Calgary - Ryan Annesley (3), Drew Campbell, Trevor Gaian, Torrie Wheat, Brett O'Malley

On Friday, September 21
Manitoba Bisons 1 Alberta Golden Bears 5
1 2 3 F
Bisons 0 1 0 1
Golden Bears 3 1 1 5

Alberta - Harian Anderson (2), Chad Klassen, Ian McDonald, Lee Zalasky
Manitoba - Chris Benias
Calin Wild was a mild surprise to make the team last year and seems to be scoring well in the pre-season. Cole Hunter played little and was a late season addition from the Brandon Wheat Kings. Chris Benias? Never heard of him, and they made no mention of his signing in a prior press release. The roster page still shows the 2006-07 team. I wish I could go to Steinbach on Wednesday just to see who is actually at camp!

Old
09-23-2007, 09:18 PM
Dakota Sioux
Fear the Ear!!!!!!

The Bison have been the SIOUXS first game for awhile now.

Old
09-24-2007, 11:41 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet/Moose Fan

[CLICK HERE] for a Canada West season preview.