HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

Manitoba Bisons / CIS / 2007-08

Old
12-30-2007, 11:40 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

vCash: 500
BISONS WIN TOURNAMENT
.... in overtime

December 30, 2007

Manitoba Bisons 7
Lakehead Thunderwolves 6

[STORY AND SUMMARY] <> [ALSO AT U OF M HOCKEY PAGE]

This blurb from the above link says loads about this wild game:
Quote:
The Wolves built a 6-3 lead with just over five minutes left and had chased Manitoba starter Krister Toews out of the Bisons goal after the fifth Lakehead tally. Steve Christie came in as relief for Manitoba and was one of the key factors in the Bisons win. Christie made key saves during regulation and was crucial in the upcoming OT. Lakehead’s Brock McPherson also had a goal disallowed during regulation that was deemed a goal by the goal judge but disallowed by the referee. ...
Code:
Scoring Summary:

Per: 1:
1) LK: 1:15 PP: Wehrstedt from Kriss Hogg and Andrew Brown
2) MB: 2:30: Hunter from Chris Benias and Wade Davison.
3) LK: McPherson from Dan Speer and Mark Soares
4) MB: 15:26: Kornelsen from Kyle Howarth
5) LK: 16:49: Wehrstedt from Hogg.

Per. 2:
6) LK: 54 seconds: PP: Soares from Pierre-Marc Guilbault and Dan Speer
7) LK: 6:32: Speer from McPherson and Soares
8) MB: 12:51: Nick Cowan from Riley Dudar

Per. 3:
9) LK: 10:03: PP: Soares from Speer
10) MB: 14:56: PP: Falloon from Hellyer and Walker
11) MB: 16:43: PP: Hellyer from Walker
12) MB: 18:35: Falloon from Hellyer and Walker

OT:
13) MB: 4:36: David Brown from Riley Dudar
I note the absence of Rick Wood from the summary and I would infer that with 7 goals he would have had at least an assist if dressed. Hopefully we will be receiving word on the extent of his injury.

Lakehead has had trouble winning this tournament. They won it in 2002 (its introduction) and not since. Better luck next year!

Since Lakehead entered as #8 ranked in the CIS and the Bisons were #9 we could expect a shuffling of those numbers and likely a top 10 spot for the 3rd place team in Canada West, and perhaps one for the 4th place team as well. Now, the Bisons will want to be amongst those top 4.

Next up:
  • January 4th & 5th
    Saskatchewan v Regina (@ Reg Fri and @ Sask Sat)
    Manitoba @ Alberta
    Calgary @ UBC
    bye: Lethbridge
Bookmarks:

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2007, 12:35 AM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Link:

[Third period meltdown hands Varsity Cup to Manitoba] - A good article from the TBSource.com and Leith Dunick. Here's the description of the game:
Quote:
... If the Lakehead Thunderwolves were a nuclear power plant, the city of Thunder Bay would be under strict evacuation orders this morning.

The host Wolves on Sunday night suffered a third-period meltdown of Homer Simpson proportions, blowing a three-goal, third period lead in the final five minutes of play to hand the Manitoba Bisons a 7-6 overtime win in the finale of the TBayTel Varsity Cup.

D’oh!

Lakehead goaltender Chris Whitley, who was victimized for all seven goals, including Dave Brown’s game winner 4:36 into OT, said four games in four days is a lot, but except for the undisciplined final six minutes, he thought the Thunderwolves played a good brand of hockey.

Unfortunately, it's those six minutes and a lengthy two-man disadvantage that everyone will remember.

“It was two selfish penalties, but stuff like that happens,” a dejected Whitley said after the game. “When two of our top players (do that), I just don’t understand it. Whether it was a bad call or not, how you do that, I have no idea.”

Whitley was referring to forwards Brock McPherson and Mark Soares, who picked up a pair of neutral zone penalties at a crucial juncture of the contest, the infractions coming with 5:22 left in regulation.

Because defenceman Mitch Maunu was already in the penalty box, it meant Lakehead faced a possible 2:20 stretch two men down.

That’s when Manitoba’s go-to-guys sprung into action. Chris Falloon, Mike Hellyer and Nolan Walker combined for three goals and eight points in a 3:39 span, surprising everyone in Fort William Gardens but themselves.

“That was definitely the craziest comeback I think anyone in the room has been involved with,” said Hellyer, who scored the second of the rapid-fire goals. Falloon scored the other two. ...

Old
01-04-2008, 12:59 AM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

... WE NOW RETURN TO REGULAR SCHEDULED HOCKEY

The Bisons' victory in Thunder Bay was a significant event for the hockey club. However, they now have to play the perennial contenders from Alberta in their hometown of Edmontown. The Bisons did split with Alberta when they came here. However, the Bisons' victory over Alberta on October 26th was the last loss for the Evil Monkeys.

Preview stories:Team stats links:Holiday review:
  • [Manitoba wins TBay Tel Varsity Cup - Conference play resumes this week] - Steve Knowles' article at the CIS site. Notwithstanding the title, the story also details Alberta's Christmas break games and the cancellation of Calgary's games with Saskatchewan due to the aftermath of the mumps outbreak. Alberta defeated NAIT 10-0 and Augustana 8-0. Both opponents are from the ACAC.

The Bisons' men's hockey site [HERE] also has two stories on the main page (which currently do not have their own URL). One is on backup goaltender Steve Christie getting CW player of the week honours, and the other is a series preview. Christie started once in T-Bay and held LU to one goal. In the final he came in for Krister Toews and provided stellar goaltending as the Bisons' mounted their miracle comeback. BTW, Toews already has two player of the week honours of his own thus far in the season.

NAIT Ooks 0
    Alberta Golden Bears 10

[STORY & SUMMARY]

Augustana Vikings 0
    Alberta Golden Bears 8

[STORY & SUMMARY]

The Bisons' web page has updated links for scores and summaries of their games in Thunder Bay:
    [Game 1 v York]
    [Game 2 v Lakehead]
    [Game 3 v Toronto]
    [Game 4 v Lakehead (tournament final)]
Bookmarks:

Old
01-04-2008, 11:29 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

HERD CRASHES IN EDMONTOWN
.... ominous start to 2nd half

January 4, 2008

Manitoba Bisons 1
Alberta Golden Bears 8

[BOX SCORE] <> [RECAP] <> [C.W. STATS] <> [U OF M STORY] <> [U OF M STATS]

The links aren't active as I post and those that are active only display the score. So I'll have to wait to see just what transpired in this debacle.

Elsewhere ...

Saskatchewan Huskies 2
Regina Cougars 0

[BOX SCORE] <> [RECAP] <> [C.W. STATS]

After being swept in Manitoba before the break the Huskies had to find their form. The links aren't active as I post so I can't say much. But the Huskies at least have their defensive game ironed out.

Calgary Dinos -
UBC Thunderbirds -

I am listening to this one on the radio as I post. The link is [HERE]. Calgary leads 4-2 early in the 3rd period. Jered Aulin is having another strong game for the Dinos.

Next up:
  • January 5th
    Regina @ Saskatchewan
    Manitoba @ Alberta
    Calgary @ UBC
    bye: Lethbridge
Bookmarks:

Old
01-05-2008, 09:50 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

UPDATE:

[U OF A RADIO LINK] - I just tuned in to hear the Bisons give up a shorthanded goal to fall behind 3-1. It's now 4-1.

[CIS STORY RE: MANITOBA-ALBERTA] <> [U OF A LINK]

[CW STORY RE: REGINA-SASK]

LATE FRIDAY RESULT:

Calgary Dinos 6
UBC Thunderbirds 3

[BOX SCORE] <> [RECAP] <> [C.W. STATS] <> [ C.W. STORY]

Jered Aulin (shown here playting for the L.A. Kings) scored 3 for the Dinos.

Old
01-06-2008, 12:19 AM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

EVIL MONKEYS RUN WILD IN EDMONTOWN
.... as Bisons surrender meekly

January 5, 2008

Manitoba Bisons 1
Alberta Golden Bears 6

I listened to part of the game on the web. The Bisons had a decent first period. The shots and play were even. The announcers mentioned that there was then a disputed goal call against the Bisons and thereafter they fell apart. It was only 2-1 for the Evil Monkeys after one period. But 3 unanswered 2nd period goals made the 3rd period a formality. In fact, the summary states the Bisons had only 1 shot on goal in the 3rd period.

Riley Dudar scored the lone goal for Manitoba. Steve Christie went the distance in goal.

The Bisons will need their upcoming weekend off to regroup for their trip to Saskatown on January 18-19.

Elsewhere ...

Regina Cougars 0
Saskatchewan Huskies 4

[BOX SCORE] <> [RECAP] <> [C.W. STATS] <> [C.W. STORY]

That's back-to-back shut-outs for the Puppies over the Kittens this weekend. Tonight's game was in Saskatown after they played in Regina on Friday night. Regina outshot Sask 25-18, and Sask onbly had 3 shots on goal in the 1st period. Very odd. It is hard to realluy gauge Sask this year. They looked good when they played here in October and pathetic on November 30th and December 1st. One cannot ignore two shut-out wins, so I am inclined to think that one can expect to see the defending champs in good form.

Calgary Dinos 8
UBC Thunderbirds 6

I just finished listening to this one on the web. UBC fell behind 3-0 early and from then on it was a wild west shoot-out. The links aren't active as I post but should be in the wee hours of Sunday morning. Kyle Aynsley scored a hat-trick for Calgary in the first 6 minutes of the game. Jered Aulin also scored a hat-trick for the Dinos.

I was ready to state that Calgary looks like a team capable of flying past everybody into 3rd place. However, as I think about the number of goals they gave up this weekend I have to take a wait and see approach with them. Shaky goaltending can really be magnified down the stretch and in the playoffs.

Anyhow, Manitoba has 19 points and UBC and Calgary have 18 points each. Calgary has two games in hand, namely the games against Alberta postponed due to the mumps outbreak.

Next up:
  • January 11th & 12th:
    UBC @ Regina
    Calgary @ Saskatchewan
    Alberta @ Lethbridge
    bye: Manitoba
Bookmarks:

Last edited by Hollywood3: 01-06-2008 at 11:36 AM.
Old
01-06-2008, 01:35 PM
Bob Stauffer

The Bisons looked fatigued on Friday and a couple of tough breaks hurt them Saturday.
For whatever reason they have always struggled in Edmonton for as long as I can remember.
I wonder if playing four games in four days last week got to them a bit. I am assuming they bussed back from Thunder Bay last Sunday night after winning the tournament last week.
Then they flew into Edmonton Friday morning and played that night.
I know that the Bears fly or bus in a day before the games not the day of a game.
Manitoba missed Olafson at forward and with Dalyn Flatt living the program and Myles Rumsey injured most of the season they are a little shallow on defence.
With the Bears additions of Eric Hunter and Derek Ryan up front Alberta has three lines that can score.
Factor in Jason Fransoo on the back end and the return of Kyle Fecho and Alberta has stepped it up on defence as well.
Friday's game was an 8-1 game, Manitoba probably deserved a better fate on Saturday.
Alberta has now won 11 straight games and outscored their opposition 32-2 in four games since Christmas.

Stauffer
Team 1260

Bob Stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 11:53 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

BYE WEEK RESULTS

January 11, 2008

Alberta Golden Bears 3
Lethbridge Pronghorns 1

The Evil Monkeys may have run low on goals after last weekend's games. Lethbridge put up a fight and according to the summary this was a close one.

UBC Thunderbirds 0
Regina Cougars 1

[BOX SCORE] <> [RECAP] <> [C.W. STATS] <> [U OF R STATS]

Sometimes Tweety-Birds lose to the Puddy-Tats!

Former Winnipeg South Blues goaltender Brant Hilton had the shut-out. Not bad for the Cougars, two points in three games whilst scoring one goal! Bet they can't do that again. Anyhow, Regina needed these two points to get back into the murky middle of the standings and put some distance between themselves and the Horny ones from Lethbridge.

Calgary Dinos 5
Saskatchewan Huskies 4

in shootout

This was the feature series of the weekend. The defending champs from Sask against the red-hot Dinos, unbeaten since the arrival of Jered Aulin.

Russ Monnette started in goal for Sask and yielded 3 goals on 6 shots. He was yanked for vet Jeff Harvey and Sask forced OT before losing. I'll be interested to see how the rematch goes.

The Bisons play in Sask next weekend. It is hard to handicap that series at present. The Bisons easily dispatched the Huskies before the break and then won the Thunder Bay tournament. However, the wheels fell off in Edmontown last weekend. Meanwhile, Sask came back to shut-out Regina twice and now battled hard against Calgary.

Next up:
  • January 12th:
    UBC @ Regina
    Calgary @ Saskatchewan
    Alberta @ Lethbridge
    bye: Manitoba

Next Bisons' home games:
    January 25th and 26th vs UBC Thunderbirds
Bookmarks:

Last edited by Hollywood3: 01-12-2008 at 05:57 PM.
Old
01-13-2008, 12:28 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

BYE WEEK WRAPS UP

January 12, 2008

Alberta Golden Bears 5
Lethbridge Pronghorns 1

Hope is fading fast for the Horny Ones. They closed very strong last season and must have felt that they could do well this year. But, combined with Regina's wins over UBC, the U of L dropped from 6 points away from a playoff to 10 points away.

Meanwhile, the Evil Monkeys are a point up on Sask for first place, with 2 games in hand. It looks like the road to the Canada West title will once again go through Edmontown.

UBC Thunderbirds 1
Regina Cougars 7

[BOX SCORE] <> [RECAP] <> [C.W. STATS] <> [U OF R STATS]
ADDED LINK FROM FRIDAY: [CIS STORY]

Well it looks like the Tweety-Birds may have hit the proverbail wall. They were a top 10 team at one time. Now they look a longshot to host a playoff round and, for that matter, will be checking up on Lethbridge's record to see if the playoff berth is in jeopardy. They host the 'Horns next weekend.

On the other side of the ice, Regina has to be happy that they scored some goals. They had but one goal in 3 games this month before this outburst. Regina also had statistical dominance pover UBC. They only gave up 15 SOG.

The two sides are now level at 18 points through 20 games, tied for 5th.

Calgary Dinos 2
Saskatchewan Huskies 5

ADDED LINKS FROM FRIDAY: [CIS STORY] <> [C.W. STORY]

The defending champs are not rolling over. With series sweeps galore happening in the new year, there was finally a split. The result also represents the Dinos' first loss since Jered Aulin joined their lineup. Aulin scored tonight but the Doggies had pure statistical dominance. The Dinos only managed 10 shots through two periods. Aulin also had a 10 minute misconduct late in the second period.

The Bisons' next games are in Sask next weekend. As I have said, handicapping the series is very difficult right now. In the last series before the break the Bisons swept Sask in convincing fashion and then won the T-Bay tournament. They were then thrashed in Edmontown last weekend. The Bisons sit only one point out of 3rd, but only 1 point out of 5th as well, albeit with 2 games in hand over their pursuers from UBC and Regina.

Next up:
  • January 18th and 19th:
    Manitoba @ Saskatchewan
    Alberta @ Calgary
    Lethbridge @ UBC
    bye: Regina

Next Bisons' home games:
    January 25th and 26th vs UBC Thunderbirds
Bookmarks:

Old
01-16-2008, 11:20 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

WEEKEND PREVIEW

Manitoba Bisons @ Saskatchewan Huskies

January 18th and 19th
7:00 pm both nights @ Saskatown

CIS links:
[BISONS ROSTER] <> [BISONS STATS] <> [HUSKIES ROSTER] <> [HUSKIES STATS]
[OCT 12 BOX SCORE] <> [OCT 12 GAME STORY] <> [OCT 13 BOX SCORE] <> [OCT 13 GAME STORY]
[NOV 30 BOX SCORE] <> [NOV 30 GAME STORY] <> [DEC 1 BOX SCORE] <> [DEC 1 GAME STORY]

The Bisons have added a new d-man, Mickey McCrimmon. He replaces the departed Dalyn Flatt. McCrimmon has no stats on the usual sites but his hockeydb.com stuff is [HERE]. He is transferring from Northern Michigan. He has 6 goals in 4 years so would appear to be the defensive sort. The departing Flatt had no goals and one assist and was -7 (and holder of the green jacket amongst the defense corps).

The Bisons and Huskies have split 4 games so far this season. In the last series before the exams/Christmas break the Bisons trampled the Huskies in a manner rarely seen over the last several years.

Things continued to look up for the Bisons when they marched into Thunder Bay and beat Lakehead in the final of their tournament. However, the Bisons were then clobbered in Edmontown on January 4th and 5th. They needed the break last weekend.

Now, Edmontown and Saskatown have been graveyards for the Bisons (and the rest of the Canada West teams) for several years now. I would think that if the Bisons can get a couple of points here they would be happy and well situated for a run down the home stretch. The Bisons are one point behind 3rd place Calgary and one point ahead of Regina and UBC, whilst holding 2 games in hand over both of them.

One matter of interest will be in the Bisons' goal. Krister Toews has twice been player of the week. However, he had problems in Thunder Bay and backup Steve Christie delivered a brilliant performance. Then Christie bailed out Toews in Edmontown as well. I'll be interested to see how the coaches handle this.

For the Huskies, after being spanked in their series in Manitoba they hopped into their horse-drawn buggies and hobbled home to re-group. Apparently effectively since they started the 2nd half with a pair of shut-out wins over their inter-provincial rivals from Regina. Then last weekend the split a pair with the Dinos.

Elsewhere, Lethbridge faces UBC while Alberta plays Calgary (previewed [HERE] and [HERE]).

Bookmarks:

Old
01-18-2008, 11:52 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

HERD LOSES BARN-BURNER
.... in final minute

January 18, 2008

Manitoba Bisons 2
Saskatchewan Huskies 3

Just after I got back from watching the Moose lose by a goal I see that the Bisons did the same thing. Too make things worse, they lost to Sask once again in the final minute and don't even get to escape with at least a bonus point. The same thing happened when the Huskies were here in October.

The goal scorers for the Bisons were Mike Hellyer and Richard Wood. Krister Toews was back in goal. The CIS box score lists a Dan Giesbrecht as having worn #3 for the Bisons. He is not on the Bisons' roster. However, I believe he did play some exhibition games.

On an odd statistical note, the Bisons outshot the Huskies 17-7 in the 2nd period and the Huiskies outshot the Bisons 15-4 in the 3rd.

Also, in the 3rd period Rick Wood had a 2 minute penalty at 1:30, scored at 4:18 and then got another penalty at 4:31.

Elsewhere ...

Alberta Golden Bears 4
Calgary Dinos 5

in overtime

This was a big win for Calgary over their arch rivals from Edmontown. The links are lacking in information as I post and hopefully will soon be updated. However, any overtime game must have been a good one. This gives the Dinos a record of 8-1 since Jered Aulin hit the ice.

Lethbridge Pronghorns 1
UBC Thunderbirds 2

This game just ended as I post. I was listening on the internet and Lethbridge is really angry with the officials. And the UBC announcers seem to be on their side. UBC absolutely needs a 4 point weekend at home against this team if they are to stay in the race for a home playoff series. The Bisons have to hope they can steal a point or two over Sask whilst UBC blows a point or two against the Horny Ones.

Next up:
  • January 19th:
    all series play game 2
Women's note:
  • The Bison broads are in Edmontown this weekend to play the Pandas in a first place showdown. They lost 3-2 in a shoot-out. Saturday night's game should be a good one. If the Bisons win they could have home ice throughout the Canada West playoffs, which would make a huge difference.
Bookmarks:

Last edited by Hollywood3: 01-19-2008 at 01:17 AM.
Old
01-19-2008, 09:39 AM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

More links:

[Hockey Huskies men of steal] - The Saskatoon Star Phoenix story includes this quote:

Quote:
The Hockey gods threw the Dogs a bone Friday night.

While there have been games in which the University of Saskatchewan Huskies men's hockey team has dominated and outshot the opposition yet couldn't buy a goal, Friday was not one of those nights.

In fact, the Dogs got some breaks -- rare ones, at that -- in the scoring department.

Despite being outplayed for two periods, Saskatchewan skated away with a 3-2 victory over a pesky University of Manitoba Bisons squad at Rutherford Rink.

With 52 seconds remaining, Colin Patterson crashed the net to poke home the winner on a centring pass from linemate Mason Wallin during a 3-on-1 break.

"I passed it to Wallin and he threw a pass back to me and I backhanded it in," Patterson said.

"It wasn't our best game. They chip away and force the puck because of their hard forecheck. More than anything, we just have to make good passes."

The Canada West site has added the home school's stories previously posted at the CIS site:

[Dinos stop hockey Bears' streak at 11]
[Patterson give Huskies important hockey win over Manitoba]

[The quest for 600] - The CIS site has this story on Calgary seeking their 600th lifetime victory. It could happen tonight against the Evil Monkeys.

Old
01-19-2008, 09:57 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

EDITED: UPDATED FOR LATE RESULT

HERD SWEPT
.... that's 4 straight losses

January 19, 2008

Manitoba Bisons 2
Saskatchewan Huskies 5

[U OF M STORY] <> [U OF M STATS] <> [CIS STORY]

This was definitely not the result sought by the Bisons. At least they weren't blown away like the Huskies were in the games played here. Nevertheless the 0-4 post-break record leaves the Bisons needing to make up some ground in the forthcoming home stretch. There are only 4 weeks, or 8 games, left in the season. That said, with home series remaining against UBC, Lethbridge, and Regina the Bisons stand an excellent chance of a top 4 placing which would mean hosting a playoff series.

Elsewhere ...

Alberta Golden Bears 4
Calgary Dinos 5

[BOX SCORE] <> [RECAP] <> [C.W. STATS] <> [C.W. STORY] <> [CIS STORY]

This gives the Dinos the sweep of their long time nemesis from the north. The Evil Monkeys came out like gang-busters after the break but the Dinos sure had their number tonight. Those free-wheeling high-scoring games seem to suit the Dinos. This was the 600th win for the Dinos.

Lethbridge Pronghorns 5
UBC Thunderbirds 7

When I originally posted UBC was leading 5-3 as I listened to the internet audio link: [CITR.ca] I went to sleep and awoke to find out that the teams exchanged 2 3rd period goals to leave UBC with a much-needed hom series sweep. Lethbridge is now 10 points behind Regina and 11 points behind UBC, and are all but eliminated from playoff contention.

Next up:
  • January 25th & 26th:
    UBC @ Manitoba
    Saskatchewan @ Lethbridge
    Regina @ Alberta

January 27th (make-up game from November 30th)
    Calgary @ Alberta
Bookmarks:

Last edited by Hollywood3: 01-20-2008 at 07:37 PM. Reason: EDITED: UPDATED FOR LATE RESULT
Old
01-23-2008, 10:58 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

January 25/26 Weekend Preview

WEEKEND PREVIEW

UBC Thunderbirds @ Manitoba Bisons

January 25th and 26th
7:00 pm both nights @ Max Bell Arena

CIS links:
[BISONS ROSTER] <> [BISONS STATS] <> [T-BIRDS ROSTER] <> [T-BIRDS STATS]
[NOV 2 BOX SCORE] <> [NOV 2 GAME STORY] <> [NOV 3 BOX SCORE] <> [NOV 3 GAME STORY]

Canada West links:
[WEEKLY RELEASE #18 (pdf)] <> [WEEKLY RELEASES LINK PAGE]
[MANITOBA STATS] <> [UBC STATS]
[NOV 2 BOX SCORE] <> [NOV 3 BOX SCORE]

I just got used to Christmas being over and KABOOM! CIS hockey is already in the home stretch. There are only 4 weeks left on the schedule. The Bisons have only 8 regular season games remaining and UBC has only 6. While UBC holds a 3-point lead over the Bisons, they have a bye next weekend whilst the Bisons host last-placed Lethbridge. The standings say it all:
Code:
                GP     W    L   OT   GF   GA  PTS
Saskatchewan    22    15    3    4   71   54   34
Alberta         20    15    3    2   98   56   32
Calgary         20    10    6    4   76   77   24
UBC             22    11   11    0   70   74   22
Manitoba        20     9   10    1   60   71   19
Regina          20     8   10    2   45   53   18
Lethbridge      20     4   16    0   53   88    8
By the looks of it, Calgary in the Aulin-era are on the ascent and can rival Alberta and Saskatchewan. Lethbridge is gonzo. Manitoba, UBC, and Regina look to round out the playoff teams with one of them hoping to land 4th place and host a quarter-final series.

When the Bisons faced the Tweety-Birds in British California in November, UBC was riding high in the national top 10 and making noise about breaking through as a top contender. (Like last year.) However, two close wins by the Bisons brought them back to reality.

Incidentally, after their set-backs against the Bisons, UBC has only one win against somebody other than Lethbridge. Against the rest of the league they are 1-7. Their scores in the new year are also strange. They have a 1-0 loss and a 2-1 win. Otheriwse, they have surrendered 5, 6, 7, and 8 goals in the other four games. So it is hard to say if we are looking at high-scoring or low-scoring games.

Elsewhere, Saskatchewan is at Lethbridge for two, while Regina is at Alberta for 2 more. On Sunday, Calgary travels to Alberta to make-up one of their games postponed by the mumps outbreak.

The last Bisons home series was against Sask on Nov 30-Dec 1. At that time I saw the Bisons look as good as they ever have in my time watching them. If they can find that form they should be able to win the bulk of their remaining home games and stand a great chance of hosting a quarter-final series.

However, after an impressive tournament victory in Thunder Bay against Lakehead, York, and Toronto the team appeared to be out of gas when they were trampled in Alberta. After a bye week, the team was more themselves but still were swept by Sask.

In the "what to look for" category, I will be interested to see:
  • * How will the Bison goaltending be handled? Will Toews and Christie each get a start? Is Christie the hot hand? Is veteran 2-time player-of-the-week Toews the go-to guy?

* How good are newcomers Mickey McCrimmon and Jered Walker?

* Can Rick Wood continue the pace he set in the 1st half?
Bookmarks:

Old
01-25-2008, 11:44 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

BISONS BEAT TWEETY-BIRDS
.... game two goes Saturday night

January 25, 2008

UBC Thunderbirds 2
Manitoba Bisons 3

[U OF M STORY] <> [U OF M STATS] <> [CIS STORY]

In their first home game in what seems like forever the Bisons did what they had to do and knocked off the Tweety-Birds. A win on Saturday night would leave the Bisons firmly in control of their own destiny as they drive towards securing home ice advantage in the quarter-final round.

The Bisons were basically in control of the game except for two inexplicable stretches of penalties. A well-earned goal by Travis Kornelson late in the 1st period (after 3 goalposts throughout the period) gave the Bisons a 1-0 lead.

Then the first penalty-fest happened when the Bisons appeared to score to take a 2-0 lead. Instead, forward Mike Hellyer went into the penalty box for goaltender intereference and it remained 1-0. 34 seconds later Jon Cara got 2 for hooking when he poked away the stick from the UBC equivalent of Greg Louganis. Myles Rumsey then got another two minutes for yapping. UBC scored to tie it up on their only flurry of the period.

Travis Kornelson restored the Bisons' lead less than 2 minutes after UBC tied it up. Chris Falloon was stoned on a breakaway and Kornelson cashed in on the rebound.

The second penalty stretch started at the end of the 2nd period when Rick Wood got 2 minutes on the second of four consecutive "hooking" calls on Bisons. They were then shorthanded for most of the game until almost 9 minutes into the 3rd period. After the penalties were killed, a bad turnover gave Jeff Lynch of UBC a breakaway. He cashed in to even the score.

Ironically, after being short-handed for the bulk of 20+ mionutes of play, it was a powerplay goal by Chris Falloon that gave the Bisons the lead and the win when he scored with 7+ minutes left.

The Bisons' line-up was like this:
  • Forwards:
    Cowan - Kornelson - Falloon
    Walker - Wood - Hellyer
    Olafson - Howarth - Waker
    Dudar - Wild - Cara

Defense:
    Rumsey - Smith
    Nichols - Lenoski
    Workman - Brown

Goal:
    Toews
Overall, my general observations were:
- Toews was solid in goal;
- the Kornelson line was very good;
- all the d-men were solid;
- the penalty killers (and there were many of them) were all effective.

There was also a whistle when there were two poucks on the ice during the first period. Now that was a quirk.

Elsewhere ...

Saskatchewan Huskies 3
Lethbridge Pronghorns 4

In overtime.

Now this result will make everybody happy execpt for the Huskies. The Horny Ones aren't likely to mount a challenge for a playoff berth but they do deserve to collect a few wins. I suspect that they will be a particularly tough opponent at home. This has to hurt the Huskies in their quest to finish first.

Regina Cougars 2
Alberta Golden Bears 4

The Bisons have to be happy with this result since it keeps the Cougars where they belong. For the Evil Monkeys this is a bounce-back result after having been swept by the Dinos last weekend. As I post, the links are short on detail. So check it out for yourself as you read.

Next up:
  • January 25th 26th:
    UBC @ Manitoba
    Saskatchewan @ Lethbridge
    Regina @ Alberta

January 27th (make-up game from November 30th)
    Calgary @ Alberta
Bookmarks:

Old
01-26-2008, 11:45 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

JANUARY 26th

SECOND VERSE SAME AS THE FIRST
.... Herd in 4th with games in hand

January 26, 2008

UBC Thunderbirds 2
Manitoba Bisons 3

[U OF M STORY] <> [U OF M STATS]

Two games, one score. The Bisons enjoyed Friday night's 3-2 win so much they ordered another for Saturday night. The Bisons now lead the Tweetybirds by a point and have 2 games in hand, which will be made up next weekend when the Bisons host Lethbridge and UBC gets the bye.

The crowd was loud and boisterous since it was minor hockey night at the Max Bell. That always adds a degree of excitement. Even so, I would say this was a slightly better game than Friday night's.

The Bisons opened the scoring early in the 2nd period when Nick Cowan cashed in on a nice 3-way passing play. With linemates Chris Falloon and Travis Kornleson, this trio dominated large stretches of the game. Before the PA announcer could give the particulars of that goal, David Brown scored an odd one. He dumped the puck off the boards and it took an odd bounce which handcuffed Francois Thuot in the 'Birds' cage.

I thought this might have buried UBC. They had been totally outplayed in the 1st period and they only carried the play when on the power play. But just when they need it most, they went on the PP and cashed in on a point shot by Craig Lineker.

The Tweety-birds then tied the game in the opening minute of the 3rd period when Darrell May scooped up a loose puck and scored on a breakaway. However, with the teams playing 4-a-side Biuson captain Rob Smith buried a nice pass after a stretch where a number of good passes had Tweety-birds strewn about the ice and scrambling to regain composure.

So that's 4 straight one-goal victories for the Bisons over the Tweety-birds this year. Oddly, I had the impression that the screoline somewhat flattered UBC. When playing even-strength they almost never carried the play and never really had the Bisons reeling. Anyhow, they are in tailspin with the season running out. After their bye they wrap up the season with a home series against Sask and an away series with Alberta. No easy points there.

• Forwards:
    Cowan - Kornelson - Falloon
    Walker - Wild - Olafson
    Howarth - Wood - Hellyer
    Davison - Benias - Waker

Defense:
    Rumsey - Smith
    Thiessen - Lenoski
    Workman - Brown

Goal:
    Toews
Elsewhere ...

Saskatchewan Huskies 4
Lethbridge Pronghorns 3

In a shootout.

This result just flip-flops last night's result in Lethbridge's favour. Yikes! The Horny Ones don't seem to hear that fat lady singing. The Huskies outshot them 49-35 so it seems the goaltenders were doing their job.

Regina Cougars 2
Alberta Golden Bears 3

In overtime.
[BOX SCORE] <> [RECAP] <> [C.W. STATS] <> [U OF A LINK]

Now a regulation loss for the Cougars would have better suited the Bisons. But a one-point weekend prevents them from gaining too much ground.

Next up:
  • January 27th (make-up game from November 30th)
    Calgary @ Alberta

February 1st and 2nd:
    Lethbridge @ Manitoba
    Alberta @ Saskatchewan
    Regina @ Calgary
    bye: UBC
Bookmarks:

Old
01-27-2008, 11:47 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Make-up game ...

Calgary Dinos 3
Alberta Golden Bears 5

This is one of two make-up games which arise from the pre-Christmas cancellation due to Calgary's mumps outbreak. After losing a pair in Calgary, the Evil Monkeys bounced back with a win. They needed it because they now are a point ahead of Sask in the race for 1st place. The Dinos are one point ahead of Manitoba in the race for 3rd place.

The Dinos did outshoot the Monkeys 38-29. Jered Aulin had a goal and an assist.

Calgary should have had the edge. This weekend they had the bye whilst Alberta was playing two tough games against Regina.

Old
01-28-2008, 02:34 PM
TOG26

Wow, I have to say I am a bit surprised the bears were able to win vs the Red hot Dinos after playing 2 tough games vs regina on Fri/Sat. Nice to see Sorochan standing on his head once again, maybe the oilers will give him more then a tryout contract at some point .

TOG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 11:56 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

WEEKEND PREVIEW

Lethbridge Pronghorns @ Manitoba Bisons

February 1st and 2nd
7:00 pm both nights @ Max Bell Arena

CIS links:
[BISONS ROSTER] <> [BISONS STATS] <> [PRONGHORNS ROSTER] <> [PRONGHORNS STATS]
[NOV 9 BOX SCORE] <> [NOV 9 GAME STORY] <> [NOV 10 BOX SCORE] <> [NOV 10 GAME STORY]

Canada West links:
[WEEKLY RELEASE #19 (pdf)] <> [WEEKLY RELEASES LINK PAGE]
[MANITOBA STATS] <> [LETHBRIDGE STATS]
[NOV 9 BOX SCORE] <> [NOV 10 BOX SCORE]

U of M links:
[Bison Men’s Hockey host Lethbridge series with tight battle for playoff spots in Canada West] - The new website has a preview story on the series and has this blurb:
Quote:
Bison Men’s Hockey Notes: The Bison women’s hockey team needs one point to clinch a home playoff match-up this season. Any combination of one point earned by the Bisons or a tie/loss by Regina will result in a guarantee second place finish for the Herd and hosting the Canada West Semi-Final series on February 15-17. To avoid conflict on Friday, February 15, if the Bison women’s team host the playoff series, the Bison men’s hockey team will host the Regina Cougars at the MTS Centre. Game time will be at 7 p.m. and tickets will be available through Ticketmaster. Ticket prices will be the same as Max Bell prices at $10 for adults and $5 for students/seniors prior to agency fee.
[2007-08 Mike Ridley Awards presented to Bison hockey players] - 19 players on this year's team, plus 4 women's team players, won the award.

The standings show how desperate is Lethbridge:
Code:
Team            GP    W    L   OT   GF  GA  PTS
Alberta         23   18    3    2  110  63   38
Saskatchewan    24   16    3    5   78  61   37
Calgary         21   10    7    4   79  82   24
Manitoba        22   11   10    1   66  75   23
UBC             24   11   13    0   74  80   22
Regina          22    8   11    3   49  60   19
Lethbridge      22    5   16    1   60  95   11
UBC has the bye, so they, Regina, and the Bisons will be level on games played at the end of the weekend. The Bisons must now capitalize on their games in hand. After this weekend they close the season with two games at Calgary and then two games at home against Regina.

The above links will get you to stats and stories on the earlier two matches between these two. Both were played in Lethbridge. The Bisons won 6-4 and the 'Horns won 5-2.

I will be at the Friday night game and then on Saturday night I have Moose tickets. I don't like these overlapping weekends but at least I will get a variety of hockey action this weekend.

Elsewhere, Regina is at Calgary and Alberta is at Sask. That series in Saskatown should be a good one in a battle for 1st place. We will also see if Calgary in the Aulin-era can trample the puddy-tats. The Alberta/Sask series is previewed [HERE]. They have a link to web radio broadcasts.

Bookmarks:

Old
02-01-2008, 11:13 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

BISONS FIT TO BE TIED
.... then suffer a shootout loss

February 1, 2008

Lethbridge Pronghorns 4
Manitoba Bisons 3

In a shootout.
[BOX SCORE] <> [RECAP] <> [C.W. STATS] <> [C.W. STORY] <> [U OF M STORY]

What could have been a whitewash turned into a shootout loss for the Herd tonight. They opened with two quick goals by Kyle Howarth (on a 3-way passing play) and by Jered Walker (converting from a scramble arising from a botched poke-check by Lethbridge goaltender Scott Bowles). However, before the period was out the Horny Ones tied the game on a couple of soft goals (by Derek Leblanc and Justin Kanigan).

A Chris Falloon goal in the 2nd period gave the Bisons a 3-2 lead, and several other chances were barely missed.

However, the Bisons paid for being unable to covert their chances when the 'Horns tied the game in the 3rd period on a goal by Tyler Stella with a little over 5 minutes left.

It appeared the Bisons won the game in overtime. However, the celebration was called off when the ref ruled the puck had not gone in. I'll never know how they missed. Three guys only had to poke a loose puck about a foot to get the win.

On the shootout, Lethbridge scored twice and the Bisons once.

Lethbridge is now 6 points behind Regina for the final playoff berth. Manitoba sits two points behind Calgary and 2 points ahead of UBC in the middle of the pack. Tonight's game was the 3rd straight overtime game for the 'Horns.

• Forwards:
    Howarth - Wood - Hellyer
    Walker - Kornelson - Falloon
    Cara - Wild - Lafreniere
    Olafson - Waker - Dudar

Defense:
    Rumsey - Smith
    Nichols - Lenoski
    Workman - Brown

Goal:
    Christie
Elsewhere ...

Regina Cougars 0
Calgary Dinos 4

The links don't have much as I post but may as you read. The Dinops have been on a roll so the win for them is not a sruprise. However, their D had been suspect. So tonight's shut-out is good news for them. However, Regina have suffered a few shut-outs since the new year.

Alberta Golden Bears 5
Saskatchewan Huskies 4

In overtime.

In the big showdown for 1st place the Evil Monkeys downed the Puppies in a shoot-out. It looks like this is one big event that lived up to its hype. The Evil Monkeys are now 2 points ahead of Sask with a game in hand.

Next up:
  • February 2nd:
    Lethbridge @ Manitoba
    Alberta @ Saskatchewan
    Regina @ Calgary
    bye: UBC
Bookmarks:

Last edited by Hollywood3: 02-02-2008 at 04:32 PM.
Old
02-02-2008, 11:21 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

BISONS SALVAGE SPLIT
.... for a 3 point weekend against desperate 'Horns

February 2, 2008

Lethbridge Pronghorns 2
Manitoba Bisons 3

[BOX SCORE] <> [RECAP] <> [C.W. STATS] <> [U OF M STORY] <> [CIS STORY]

I missed this game because I had Moose tickets. But I heard the good news on the way home on CJOB's post-game show. The game story on the links is up[ as I post and gives a good account of the game.

The box score indicates that the Bisons made some line-up changes. (It has been the norm since the new year to split the weekend games between players now that the team is healthy.) Krister Toews was back in goal. Stewart Thiessen replaced Kyle Nichols on defense. Up front, Chris Benias, Wade Davison, Nick Cowan, and Cole Hunter were in while Colin Lafreniere, Jon Cara, Chris Falloon, and Travis Kornelson were out. The Falloon-Kornelson line was leading the scoring so I hope they are not injured.

Of note, the Bisons entered the 3rd period tied 2-2 and then were given two minor penalties in the first minute. After killing those they had no more penalties whilst the Horny Ones were given 4 penalties the rest of the way. Lethbridge managed only 4 shots in the 3rd period.

The weekend results have assured the Bisons of a playoff berth. They also enjoy the inside track on at least a 4th place finish and the right to host a quarter-final playoff series.

Elsewhere ...

Regina Cougars 3
Calgary Dinos 4

The links don't have anything as I post but may as you read. The result gives the Dinos a sweep and keeps them in 3rd place, 2 points ahead of the Bisons. The Cougars needed points to keep their realistic hopes of hosting a playoff series alive. They now trail Manitoba by 7 points with 4 games left. They are also 6 points up on Lethbridge.

Alberta Golden Bears 3
Saskatchewan Huskies 1

[BOX SCORE] <> [RECAP] <> [C.W. STATS] <> [C.W. STORY] <> [CIS STORY]

ADDITIONAL FRIDAY LINKS
[C.W. STORY] <> [CIS STORY]

The much-hyped showdown goes down as a sweep for the Evil Monkeys. After starting the season being swept in UBC, they have bounced back and look like the team to beat. The links have some but not all information updated as I post. I'll be checking back Sunday morning to see what the pundits said about the game and series.

Next up:
  • February 8th & 9th:
    Lethbridge @ Regina
    Manitoba @ Calgary
    Saskatchewan @ UBC

February 10th:
    Alberta @ Calgary (make-up of Dec. 1)

Next Bisons' home games:
    February 15th at 7:00 pm at MTS Centre v. Regina Cougars
    February 16th at 7:00 pm at Max Bell Arena v. Regina Cougars
Quirky observations:
  • * Of the last 20 games on the Canada West schedule, the only game decided by more than 2 goals was the 5-2 win by Sask over the Bisons on January 19th. Of those 20 games, one was decided in OT and five were decided on a shoot-out.

* Lethbridge trails Regina by 6 points with only 4 games left. Fortunately, they play at Regina next weekend. So at least a good portion of their destiny remains in their hands.

* One has to wonder how Sask and the Evil Monkeys will respond to their remaining games. Since they each play UBC, the Bisons have to hope that they each beat UBC at least once. This might be what the slumping Tweety-Birds need to grab some life.

* I'll be interested to see how the Bisons do against Jered Aulin the 2nd time around.

[WEEKLY ROUND-UP] - This is from the CIS website.
Bookmarks:

Last edited by Hollywood3: 02-03-2008 at 11:46 PM.
Old
02-05-2008, 02:54 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Big News From Ubc

BIG NEWS FOR PRONGHORNS AND THUNDERBIRDS

I just got this e-mail from Canada West:
Quote:
Canada West Universities Athletic Association
2007-08 Media Release

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

UBC to Forfeit Men’s Hockey Game

EDMONTON – The Canada West Office has announced that the UBC Thunderbirds are required to forfeit a men’s hockey game played against the University of Lethbridge Pronghorns on January 18, 2008. A Protest Committee supported Lethbridge’s protest that UBC used an ineligible player (suspended player) for the game. The player, Curtis Billsten, had received Game Misconduct for verbal abuse of an official during a game played in Regina on January 12, 2008. Under CIS Hockey Playing Regulations, a player receiving a game misconduct for verbal abuse of officials receives an automatic one-game suspension and that the suspension must be served for UBC’s next hockey game (the January 18 game in Lethbridge).

UBC will be assigned a loss for the game (won by UBC 2-1) and Lethbridge assigned a win. The score will be recorded, as a 1-0 win for Lethbridge, and UBC’s goals will be removed from the game statistics.

In addition to the forfeiture, UBC hockey coach, Milan Dragicevic, is suspended for one game for not following CIS hockey regulations when a player receives a game misconduct for verbal abuse of an official. The suspension is to be served on Friday, February 8 when UBC hosts the University of Saskatchewan.

For further information contact Val Schneider, Executive Director: schneidv@shaw.ca

David Bandla, Communications
Canada West Athletics
sportsinfo@canadawest.org
www.canadawest.org
UBC cannot now catch Calgary for 3rd. They must run the table and hope the Bisons get no more than 1 point in 4 games to catch 4th place. They are only 1 point ahead of Regina and 5 ahead of Lethbridge. Also, Lethbridge is only 4 points behind Regina and play them twice this weekend.

I personally consider the decision to be harsh but it must be in the league by-laws.

Old
02-08-2008, 07:08 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

WEEKEND PREVIEW

Manitoba Bisons @ Calgary Dinos

February 8th and 9th @ Calgary

CIS links:
[BISONS ROSTER] <> [BISONS STATS] <> [DINOS ROSTER] <> [DINOS STATS]
[NOV 16 BOX SCORE] <> [NOV 16 GAME STORY] <> [NOV 17 BOX SCORE] <> [NOV 17 GAME STORY]

Canada West links:
[WEEKLY RELEASE #20 (pdf)] <> [WEEKLY RELEASES LINK PAGE]
[MANITOBA STATS] <> [CALGARY STATS]
[NOV 16 BOX SCORE] <> [NOV 17 BOX SCORE]

Canada West stories:
[Dinos' Aulin named January WHL Graduate of the Month]
[WHL, CWUAA enhance men's hockey Scholarship offer]
[Hockey Dinos' Aulin to be featured on Hockey Day in Canada]
[UBC forfeits men’s hockey game]

The Dinos are 12-7-4 for 28 points whilst the Bisons are 12-10-2 for 26 points. The Dinos finish with games on Sunday against Alberta (make-up of the mumps-postponed game) and next weekend against Lethbridge. The Bisons close next weekend against Regina.

The Dinos swept the series in Winnipeg back in November by scores of 6-4 and 3-2 (in overtime). The first game was a pitiful performance by the Bisons. The second game was fabulous. The series also marked Jered Aulin's debut in Calgary. Since then the Dinos have moved into 3rd place and are one of the country's hottest teams. The former LA King has 13 goals and 17 assists in 13 games. They better check him!

But the Bisons aren't half bad, either. Since winning the Thunder Bay tournament at Christmas they survived the hang-over weekend in Alberta, the away sweep in Sask, then took 7 of 8 points at home to solidy their grip on 4th place and the right to host a quarter-final.

The Bisons also have a much more balanced attack. Their scoring is more or less divided amongst 2, and sometimes 3, lines.

I suspect the Bisons would be happy with a split. However, I also suspect they would much rather face Sask than Alberta in the semi-finals and for that could use a sweep of the Dinos.

Elsewhere, Lethbridge is at Regina and UBC is at Sask. The Evil Monkeys from Saudi Alberta have a bye.

Last edited by Hollywood3: 02-08-2008 at 07:14 PM.
Old
02-08-2008, 11:07 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

BISONS EDGED
.... 4th place looking likely

February 8, 2008

Manitoba Bisons 3
Calgary Dinos 4

[BOX SCORE] <> [RECAP] <> [C.W. STATS] <> [U OF M STORY]

Kyle Howarth, Rick Wood, and Chris Benias scored for the Bisons in what seems like a closely contested game. The result seems to indicate that the Bisons will be a 4th place team. The Bisons trail Calgary by 4 points and lead UBC by 4 points.

Elsewhere ...

Lethbridge Pronghorns 1
Regina Cougars 0

This is a big result for the Horny Ones. They got a big viagra boost early this week when a boardroom decision turned a loss against UBC into a win. Now their squeaker over the Cougars makes that playoff dream look somewhat realistic.

In an odd twist, Regina had to scramble for a home rink when the Brandt Centre had a concert and their regular arena was already booked. They are back in their usual digs Saturday night. Lethbridge is now 2 points behind Regina and 5 behind UBC.

Saskatchewan Huskies 2
UBC Thunderbirds 4

Sask grabbed a 2-0 lead but UBC dominated the 2nd and 3rd periods to take the win. And a big win it was for the slumping Tweety Birds. They are now 5 points up on Lethbridge and should have at least sewn up a playoff berth. And a big surge could let them close in on Manitoba for 4th.

One now has to question the Banjolanders. They end the season next week with a bye and then will get a bye past the quarter-finals. That means quite a lay-off before they will likely face Calgary. Frankly, I don't like the Huskies outlook at present.

If you are by the internet Saturday at 9:00 pm CST or later try the UBC radio link [HERE] for the second game of this series.

Next up:
  • February 9th:
    Lethbridge @ Regina
    Manitoba @ Calgary
    Saskatchewan @ UBC

February 10th:

Next Bisons' home games:
    February 15th at 7:00 pm at MTS Centre v. Regina Cougars
    February 16th at 7:00 pm at Max Bell Arena v. Regina Cougars
Bookmarks:

Last edited by Hollywood3: 02-09-2008 at 12:21 PM. Reason: UPDATED FOR LATE NIGHT LINKS
Old
02-09-2008, 11:26 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

. in yet another tight game[/b][/i][/size][/color]

February 9, 2008

Manitoba Bisons 2
Calgary Dinos 3

[BOX SCORE] <> [RECAP] <> [C.W. STATS] <> [U OF M STORY]

Jered Aulin had a goal and an assist to lead the Dinos to a tight win over the Bisons. Mike Hellyer and Kip Workman scored for the Bisons. Krister Toews had the start in goal.

The result guarantees Calgary 3rd place. The Bisons lead UBC by 4 points. I am not sure of the tie-breaker. If it is head-to-head then the Bisons have the edge. If they go by wins then UBC has the edge. Anyhow, with UBC playing at Alberta and Manitoba playing at home against Regina, either Manitoba should get a point or UBC lose one.

Elsewhere ...

Lethbridge Pronghorns 3
Regina Cougars 5

This pretty much buries the Horns. Regina is within a point of UBC. Again, there exists a tie-breaker confusion on my part. Regina would have the head-to-head edge whilst Lethbridge would have the most wins edge.

Saskatchewan Huskies 3
UBC Thunderbirds 1

I was listening on-line [HERE]. Sask was outplayed early but hung in with strong goaltending before pulling it out in the end.

Next up:
  • February 10th:

February 15th and 16th:
    Regina @ Manitoba
    • February 15th at 7:00 pm at MTS Centre
      February 16th at 7:00 pm at Max Bell Arena
    Calgary @ Lethbridge
    UBC @ Alberta
    bye: Saskatchewan
Bookmarks:
BISON BROADS SPLIT
.... place 2nd in record-setting season

Stacey Colfield, golatender.

February 8, 2008
Regina Cougars 0
Manitoba Bisons 1

[BOX SCORE] <> [RECAP] <> [C.W. STATS] <> [C.W. STORY] <> [U OF M STORY]

February 9, 2008
Regina Cougars 4
Manitoba Bisons 2

[BOX SCORE] <> [RECAP] <> [C.W. STATS] <> [CIS STORY] <> [U OF M STORY]

The Bisons had clinched 2nd place in the 6 team league before this series began. However, they likely wanted a good performance heading into the playoffs. The team finished 18-4-2 for a total of 38 points, 8 better than the previous team record.

Next weekend the Bison Broads will host the Saskatchewan Huskies. All games are at the Max Bell Arena, as follows:
Friday at 7:00 pm
Saturday at 3:00 pm
Sunday at 2:00 pm

Last edited by Hollywood3: 02-10-2008 at 12:09 AM.