HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eklund rumor: Rangers might give Vanek an offer sheet

Old
05-23-2007, 04:51 PM
danno2530

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
It's Eklund.

I would think we have a better chance of signing Vanek if he never even mentioned it as a rumor. Now that he thinks it, I know there is no chance in hell.

Would I like him here? Of course...but it isn't happening.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 09:29 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99 View Post
As good as Lecavalier??!?

That's a little overboard there.

Vanek is not a franchise player, and I don't see him being one.
people said the same thing about lecavalier 2 years ago when compared to thornton

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 09:59 PM
mti79

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
Didn't we offer Joe Sakic a huge deal a while back that the Avalanche had to match? I think that was still under the Neil Smith regime.

I love Vanek, I think he is hands down one of the best young players in the league but I am not sure this is the route to go. [I]Right now we are in good shape because we have no RFA's that anyone would deem worthy of an offer[/I], but down the road this might come back to bite us. I rather keep the unwritten rule about this in tact.
Really? We have a guy named Lundqvist who is pretty good that I think other teams would be willing to pay for...

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 10:03 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
As good as Lecavalier??!?

That's a little overboard there.

Vanek is not a franchise player, and I don't see him being one.
Why not? He had about 10 less goals and 10 less assists this season despite getting noticeably less ice time. He has the skill to be a 100 point first liner. Not to mention he's developing faster than Lecavelier did

Guess we'll have to wait and see

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 11:18 PM
Chief

Quote:
Whether you believe it or not, there's an unwritten law amongst GM's in the NHL with offer sheets. Why do you think there's only be 3 handed out in recent memory? Sakic with the Rangers in 97, Fedorov with Carolina in 98, and Clarke trying to get Kesler last offseason...
Not to split hairs but there was at least one more, if I'm not mistaken. Clarke put in an offer sheet for Chris Gratton, which was followed by TB's claims of a fax that never made it through and ultimitely a trade between TB and PHI.

For some reason I thought N. Smith also put one in for Grimson either the season before or after he went to Carolina but that one's a bit more fuzzy.

In the end, the business is constantly changing and what held true when Smith put in the offer sheet for Sakic has little to do with today's NHL business.

Also, no need to bother with Vanek. the Rangers will need the cap space for Crosby's offer sheet after next season.

Last edited by Chief: 05-23-2007 at 11:19 PM. Reason: spelling!
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 12:13 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

smells to me like there IS a source but it's the agent trying to get the respective GMs to move up on their internal offers. Vanek would be nice and worth a few 1sts as we don't have any sure-fire forwards of his star quality in our system. I doubt we get into a position to draft Tavares or youngest Staal.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 12:15 AM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
I don't know...sounds like the league's GMs don't take too kindly to offer sheets being made to RFAs. It's weird because it's obviously allowed under the rules, but when Clarke did it last summer, Nonis flipped. In my opinion if it's in the rule book then people shouldn't get angry about it, but I guess Nonis thinks otherwise:
Quote:
"I was told a long time ago that Bob Clarke would kick his grandmother down a flight of stairs if it would give him a better chance of winning," Nonis said. "That's what it comes down to. It's something I didn't understand. It's something I don't understand to this minute."

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 12:16 AM
RangerSteve

Send a message via MSN to RangerSteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Why not? He had about 10 less goals and 10 less assists this season despite getting noticeably less ice time. He has the skill to be a 100 point first liner. Not to mention he's developing faster than Lecavelier did

Guess we'll have to wait and see
I look at Vinny as being able to take over a game by himself. I know Vanek was able to burn us in the playoffs, but does he have that same ability to take over a game? I don't know.

RangerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 05:24 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
Not to split hairs but there was at least one more, if I'm not mistaken. Clarke put in an offer sheet for Chris Gratton, which was followed by TB's claims of a fax that never made it through and ultimitely a trade between TB and PHI.

For some reason I thought N. Smith also put one in for Grimson either the season before or after he went to Carolina but that one's a bit more fuzzy.

In the end, the business is constantly changing and what held true when Smith put in the offer sheet for Sakic has little to do with today's NHL business.

Also, no need to bother with Vanek. the Rangers will need the cap space for Crosby's offer sheet after next season.
Chicago also signed KT to an offer sheet in August (?) of 1995, which the Jets matched.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote