HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Out of all Canadian teams...

Closed Thread

Old
12-23-2003, 01:31 PM
south-sentral

vCash: 500
Out of all Canadian teams...

No,*this is not another 'list the Canadian teams from best to worst' thread. Out of the six Canadian teams who has the best probability of going all the way this year. And please do not turn this into another Leafs vs Sens flame war.

Be sure to list significant reasons for your choice not some mindless banter.

1. Ottawa- their core is still young but experienced when it comes to playoff games, they finally got the 'monkey off their back' or so to speak after advancing to the ECF and almost winning it there. If they are firing on all cylinders come April, this team will be deadly in the post-season.

2. Van- Potent first line, nice all-around defense, questionable goaltending ( atleast when it comes to post-season play) Cloutier has to show that he is the real deal if they have any hope of advancing to a berth in the final.

3. Toronto- Good mix of veterans, they have a gritty warrior in Roberts ( a type of player that the sens will benefit from) But with their young guys like Antropov getting injured often and of course their older players moginly and Nolan being bothered by some type of injury at one point or another, they'll be hard-pressed to face the wear and tear of the playoffs.

Old
12-23-2003, 01:42 PM
King of Kelvington

Where are the other canadian teams?

Out of the six Canadian teams i say the buds.

Nucks...Cloutier? No.
Sens...Can they beat the leafs though? No.
Flames...Will they be last years ducks? I think maybe.
Buds...Can they beat the Devils? Probably Not.
Oilers...too young. No.
Habs...as if. No.

Old
12-23-2003, 01:55 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
I think Vancouver, Ottawa and Toronto are all about even, with Ottawa maybe a bit ahead of the pack. Granted, they haven't been playing well, but of these 3 teams, they have the best depth by far IMO. Vancouver still does not have a goaltender who I feel can win them the Cup, and I know Cloutier has been good thus far. And finally Toronto. They've proven me wrong all year, but I'm still gonna say they can't win with the team they have at the moment. A few moves at the deadline may change my views though.

As for the other 3, I rank Montreal only slightly ahead of Calgary and Edmonton IF they make the playoffs due to having the best goalie of the three. I probably shouldn't put them ahead of Calgary, as they're playing outstanding and have a great defense overall, but I like the chances of a hot shot goalie in the playoffs (see the Ducks last year). None of these 3 really have any chance this year though.

Old
12-23-2003, 02:35 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Ottawa has the best chance so far, IMO. They have a good depth of forwards with playoff experience and Lalime has shown he can play in the crunch. The Sens are crazy deep in the blueline as well, but don't get as much offence from them as they probably should.
Vancouver's secondary scoring has yet to be consistent(see: the Sedins) and Cloutier has yet to prove clutch in an entire round of the playoffs. The blueline is solid, mobile and has offensive punch. Young players have some playoff experience now but have yet to prove they can play in the big dance.
The Leafs are hot right now, but hot now and hot in the playoffs are two different things. The forwards are pretty good led by the gritty warrior Roberts and arguably the best all around centre in the game in Sundin. Belfour is proven, but it comes back to the Leafs' achilles heel: the defence. THere really isn't a solid offensive d-man(do NOT tell me Kaberle is that man because he isn't) that every Stanley Cup team needs.
Flames could go on a Cinderella story but ultimately will not get the big prize. Defence core is still young, goaltending unproven more than Cloutier and offence isn't coming from Donovan all year.
Edmonton is in trouble. Period.
The Canadiens are too small up front and not deep enough on the blueline. They don't score enough to win the big games, but are tight defensively. Goaltending could carry them again for a while if Theodore gets hot, but not likely.

Old
12-23-2003, 02:59 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Definitely the Leafs:

-experienced goaltender with a Stanley Cup ring (Belfour)
-experienced team captain playing some of his best hockey (Sundin)
-lots of veterans who have been there before (Mogilny, Nieuwendyk, Roberts, etc.)
-a deep defense (6, potentially 7 solid guys)

The only real weakness is lack of a top 10 defenseman (I think if the Leafs really could pull a deal for Gonchar without removing a top roster player they should consider it). Otherwise I like the current Leafs team quite a bit.

Old
12-23-2003, 03:14 PM
King of Kelvington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon
Definitely the Leafs:

-lots of veterans who have been there before (Mogilny, Nieuwendyk, Roberts, etc.)

The only real weakness is lack of a top 10 defenseman (I think if the Leafs really could pull a deal for Gonchar without removing a top roster player they should consider it). Otherwise I like the current Leafs team quite a bit.
i've been awaiting a top 10 dman for 5 years....maybe with junior at the helm he'll finally pull the trigger as it seems to be the main ingredient missing.......but anything can happen!

Old
12-23-2003, 03:33 PM
syc

1. Ottawa- Has yet to prove anything in the playoffs, one year is not experience. Winning 2 rounds in 5 years is only experience in losing. Great core but not ready to go all the way.

2. Van- Great one line, solid D average goaltending. Bad playoff history and only one line could be the downfall. When Naslund goes cold Vancouver loses.

3. Toronto- Grit, determination, experience, and all round scoring. Age and injuries could be the downfall.

Old
12-23-2003, 03:39 PM
Youreallygotme

Ottawa Senators.

Old
12-23-2003, 03:53 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by syc
1. Ottawa- Has yet to prove anything in the playoffs, one year is not experience. Winning 2 rounds in 5 years is only experience in losing. Great core but not ready to go all the way.
Ottawa was 2 minutes from the stanley Cup Finals last year.

3 winning round in the last 2 years, only Detroit & New Jersey have more.

IMO Ottawa clearly has the best chance.

Old
12-23-2003, 03:53 PM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Definitely the Leafs:

but a mostly unproven roster in the postseason.only belfour and nuendyke. but theyre ancient if the leafs dont win this year, all those signings were for nothing.
but out of canadian teams they have a good chance
tough choice split ottawa/TO.
calgary underdog. could cause a mess, who knows.

Old
12-23-2003, 04:06 PM
King of Kelvington

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Ottawa was 2 minutes from the stanley Cup Finals last year.

3 winning round in the last 2 years, only Detroit & New Jersey have more.

IMO Ottawa clearly has the best chance.
Last year means nuthin...neither does pre-season hype...just ask the sj sharks circa 2002.

Old
12-23-2003, 04:15 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCJr
Last year means nuthin...neither does pre-season hype...just ask the sj sharks circa 2002.
The Senators still have the most talented team in the NHL. That combined with their experience from last year, mean they are the best Canadian team IMO.

Old
12-23-2003, 04:35 PM
Mack

Send a message via MSN to Mack
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCJr
Where are the other canadian teams?

Out of the six Canadian teams i say the buds.

Nucks...Cloutier? No.
Sens...Can they beat the leafs though? No.
Flames...Will they be last years ducks? I think maybe.
Buds...Can they beat the Devils? Probably Not.
Oilers...too young. No.
Habs...as if. No.

you think the flames are gonna go all the way to the finals?

Old
12-23-2003, 04:38 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
For Vancouver it is Goaltending and Todd Bertuzzi. If those two get going the Canucks can beat any team in the West.

For the Leafs and Sens, Can either beat the Devils? Can Lalime and Belfour out shine Brodeur?

You can rag on all the teams as much as you want whether you think they have holes, but it all boils down to these question marks for all three teams.

Old
12-23-2003, 04:41 PM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
Ottawa- They are solid at every position. Their goaltending will be thier only question mark..

Toronto-They have experience and a very good playoff team but they are old and thus could have some injuries. They also need a better defence.

Vancouver- Cloutier has to step it up. I don't like the team the way it is. It's a one line team and it plays too soft.

Old
12-23-2003, 04:48 PM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

vCash: 1400
Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
1. Vancouver - Much easier ride to the finals than any of the eastern teams. The Avs, Blues and Wings are good but unlike the Eastern teams they won't beat you down. Do I think they will...nah I think this is the Blues year.

2. Calgary - See above

3. Toronto - If they were in the west they would be number 1, but being in the east will be difficult getting past the Devils or the Flyers and having anything left in the conference finals. Deep strong experienced team with a ton of grit and strong goaltending. It really depends on if they win the division or not. Could use a true number 1 defensman and maybe someone like Ricci at the trade deadline

4. Ottawa - Choked last year in the Semis against a very beatable Devils team. Did'nt start playing until game 5 and gave up too much to win series. Before the series started I picked the Sens in 4. I gave them too much credit as did alot of posters on this board before this season started. The Sens are a fast young solid team that isn't the best playoff bet "yet". You can't be a favorite having a 2nd year player centering your number 1 line. I see a defense that in a couple of years will be the talk of the league but right now is prone to making mistakes at the worst time in games. Like the Leafs they really could use a number 1 defensman as I don't think Redden is a true number 1 defenseman. They have all the pieces now just need to get the right glue to put them together. Not this year but start looking at 2005 for this team to be a constant threat deep in the playoffs. I would not do anything at trade deadline unless you can get a Nolan type leftwinger rather cheaply

Old
12-23-2003, 04:49 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Loose Cannon
Two years ago, Kevin Weekes did, so why not Lalime, or Hackett or Belfour? (I can tell you nobody wants to believe Belfour can because they can't see past their bias against Toronto)
I am not saying they can't... I am saying until they do, history has shown that they cannot out shine him.

just like History has shown that Cloutier cannot make the big save when the canucks need it the most.

Until these teams prove otherwise, I don't see any making the final... but based on the Canucks record vs their Western Foes, I like the Canucks chances more than the Leafs or Sens... why?

Cause by round 2, unless they meet in the ECF, the leafs will play the Flyers, Sens or Devils in Round 2... and the Same for the Senators... and the Sens can beat the Flyers... but the Devils, or the Leafs?

Do you see the Logic?

The Canucks can beat the Blues, Avs, Wings, Kings... I like their chances way more than the Leafs or Sens vs the Flyers or Devils.

Old
12-23-2003, 04:50 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NataSatan666
1. Vancouver - Much easier ride to the finals than any of the eastern teams. The Avs, Blues and Wings are good but unlike the Eastern teams they won't beat you down. Do I think they will...nah I think this is the Blues years.

2. Calgary - See above

3. Toronto - If they were in the west they would be number 1, but being in the east will be difficult getting past the Devils or the Flyers and having anything left in the conference finals. Deep strong experienced team with a ton of grit and strong goaltending. It really depends on if they win the division or not. Could use a true number 1 defensman and maybe someone like Ricci at the trade deadline

4. Ottawa - Choked last year in the Semis against a very beatable Devils team. Did'nt start playing until game 5 and gave up too much to win series. Before the series started I picked the Sens in 4. I gave them too much credit as did alot of posters on this board before this season started. The Sens are a fast young solid team that isn't the best playoff bet "yet". You can't be a favorite having a 2nd year player centering your number 1 line. I see a defense that in a couple of years will be the talk of the league but right now is prone to making mistakes at the worst time in games. Like the Leafs they really could use a number 1 defensman as I don't think Redden is a true number 1 defenseman. They have all the pieces now just need to get the right glue to put them together. Not this year but start looking at 2005 for this team to be a constant threat deep in the playoffs. I would not do anything at trade deadline unless you can get a Nolan type leftwinger rather cheaply
I see it exactly that way... I am not saying the Canucks will make the Finals... but they have a better chance to get their than the Leafs or Sens.

Old
12-23-2003, 04:59 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Quote:
In the current NHL, it's ancient history. The turnover on teams now is ridiculous, so 3 years ago is almost irrelevant.

This thread is nonsense anyway. The Stanley cup compeition is open to American teams now too, so it doesn't matter how Canadian based teams stack up against eachother. This thread is the creation of a bitter, insecure Senators fan looking for re-assurance that the Senators are a good team, because the players aren't doing it out on the ice. At least they are good on paper, kind of like the Rangers.
I agree 100% with this!!

Old
12-23-2003, 05:14 PM
syc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan
I am not saying they can't... I am saying until they do, history has shown that they cannot out shine him.

just like History has shown that Cloutier cannot make the big save when the canucks need it the most.

Until these teams prove otherwise, I don't see any making the final... but based on the Canucks record vs their Western Foes, I like the Canucks chances more than the Leafs or Sens... why?

Cause by round 2, unless they meet in the ECF, the leafs will play the Flyers, Sens or Devils in Round 2... and the Same for the Senators... and the Sens can beat the Flyers... but the Devils, or the Leafs?

Do you see the Logic?

The Canucks can beat the Blues, Avs, Wings, Kings... I like their chances way more than the Leafs or Sens vs the Flyers or Devils.
I think a 7 game series vrs the Blues would be just as hard on the Canucks as the Leafs playing a 7 game series vrs the Flyers. But the east is alot tougher because of the physical play so I sort of see what your saying.

Old
12-23-2003, 06:15 PM
TexSen

Quote:
Two years ago, Kevin Weekes did, so why not Lalime, or Hackett or Belfour? (I can tell you nobody wants to believe Belfour can because they can't see past their bias against Toronto)
Paranoia alert! Paranoia alert!

The world is against you, I repeat, the world is against you.

(the refs are too)

Old
12-23-2003, 06:26 PM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

vCash: 1400
Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexSen
Paranoia alert! Paranoia alert!

The world is against you, I repeat, the world is against you.

(the refs are too)

Was'nt it the refs fault 2 years ago that the Leafs beat the Sens? I believe your captain stated that

Old
12-24-2003, 04:08 AM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

Quote:
Definitely the Leafs:

The Leafs have a deep defense? McCabe and Kaberle and Klee are good. Aki Berg, Bryan Marchment, Wade Belak, Richard Jackman and Karel Pilar aren't very good.

I agree the Leafs are playing extremely well these days but will definitely have to improve their blue line to be true Stanley Cup Contenders.

I think the winner of the Leafs-Sens division will have the best chance to get to the Stanley Cup Finals unless Vancouver gets a proven playoff goalie. Whoever finishes second in the northeast will likely have to play either the Flyers or Devils in the first round (see Leafs last year) and the road to the finals would be too tough. I love the Canucks except for in nets but I hope I'm wrong. I think the Senators need to still acquire (1) a gritty left winger who can play on the top 2 lines and (2) another 4th or 5th defenseman with Volchenkov likely out for the year.

Old
12-24-2003, 04:41 AM
BlueAndWhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havlat9
The Leafs have a deep defense? McCabe and Kaberle and Klee are good. Aki Berg, Bryan Marchment, Wade Belak, Richard Jackman and Karel Pilar aren't very good.

I agree the Leafs are playing extremely well these days but will definitely have to improve their blue line to be true Stanley Cup Contenders.
If you've watched the Leafs play this year, then you would know a couple of things;

1.) Wade Belak and Richard Jackman are extra, injury fill-in defenseman. They are not part of the top six.
2.) Aki Berg has FINALLY emerged as a solid top 4 NHL d-man. He has been the most improved Maple Leaf by a good margin. (Though Robert Reichel could possibly lay claim to that).
3.) Karel Pilar is an unknown outside of Toronto, mainly because he lost more than a year to a viral infection. He has 8 pts in 17 games since his return.

You're right Bryan Marchment isn't very good. The Leafs DO need to replace him in the lineup and there is time yet to do that.

However, this common mantra that the Leafs' defense is weak is totally unjustified.

Old
12-24-2003, 04:58 AM
Takeo

Who cares.

Closed Thread