HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Idea for Blues In Free Agency..DONT OVERSPEND!!

Old
05-23-2007, 03:30 PM
TrustInJarmo*

vCash: 500
Idea for Blues In Free Agency..DONT OVERSPEND!!

I want Drury. I would like to have Gomez if the price is right. But the fact of the matter is that to the rest of hockey nation, the Blues are kind of like the Cubs of hockey. And we are probably not going to land these 2 guys and more importantly we will not win a Cup next year (maybe in 2 or 3) but not in 2008.

With that said, if we can not land Drury or Gomez, then lets sit tight this year and not overpay for other players...DONT overpay at 5 or 6 mill a year for another Tkachoke.

Sign fill in players for 1 mill a year on 1 or 2 year deals and get another high draft pick in 2008.

Because next years free agent class is much better! And when other teams lock in more money this summer on Gomez, Briere, Drury etc...we will have money that other teams won't for these soon to be free agents in one year...

Jarome Iginla
Joe Sakic (though he is a long shot)
Markus Naslund
Brendan Morrison
Chris Kunitz

Joe Thornton (though I am not to high on him with his price tag)

Patrick Marleau (if he isn't traded this year or if he is traded and doesn't sign an extension)

Daniel Cleary (Not the best career...but he is hot this year, he had 12 points in the playoffs and is only 27)

Kris Draper ( I know most hate him here and he isn't a 1st or 2nd liner...but he is the type of player you would love if he was on your team. Nice 3rd or 4th liner and great vet to teach the young kids)

David Legwand
J.P. Dumont
Jochen Hecht
Dany Heatley
Cory Stillman

Jason Spezza (Yes, he is a RFA, but if you are going to sign a RFA...this is the guy...granted, we don't get screwed and have to give up Oshie for it

Sidney Crosby (A total longshot..but if we have the money to offer 9-10 mill a year...It might be an outside chance)

Mats Sundin (He will be 36...but might want to part with Toronto if they miss the playoffs again and get a fresh start. He might not be as expensive as his 5.3 million this year. And he put up 76 points in 75 games this year)

Martin Straka (70 points in 77 games this year and 10 points in 10 playoff games)

Michael Nylander (83 points in 79 games this year and 13 points in 10 playoffs games)

Patience Blues...patience.

TrustInJarmo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 04:24 PM
CuSa_1

You preach patience but then talk about throwing money at RFAs.

IMO you overspend for one guy this offseason: Drury. Otherwise I agree with you...

absolutely not on Cleary or Draper

Patience is a good idea, but not JUST for this offseason.

CuSa_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 04:31 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuSa_1 View Post

IMO you overspend for one guy this offseason: Drury. Otherwise I agree with you...

I mean patience on paying someone like Zubrus something like 4 or 5 mill a year when he didn't put up one single goal in 3 rounds this year.

You wouldn't overspend for Heatley? Igilna? Legwand? Sakic?

I guess I should have been more clear and seperated a few of these players...I would like to have Cleary, Stillman and Draper as 3rd and 4th liners making not much more than they are now.

Sorry.

Old
05-23-2007, 04:40 PM
StLooFrenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuSa_1 View Post

Agreed. Drury is the man. If there is one guy that could teach our young dudes how to win it is him. That's what it's all about, molding greenhorns into winners, not signing a crowd of stop-gaps. We will not be Cup-competetive next season, so let's all breathe and adopt the aforementioned patience as a mantra.

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 04:48 PM
Checker*

If the Blues think they have a shot at Ryan Smyth, I'd overspend for him as well. I'd also open up the checkbook for Scott Hartnell to a lesser degree. Also, I'd give Drury just about whatever he would want.

My thought on free agency this season is quality over quantity. I'd rather spend 6 or 7 million bucks on one Drury/Smyth or 4-5 Million on Hartnell than lock up three lesser players. Why? Because the Blues have plenty of bodies at forward and may even add one more through trade of a defenseman. Under contract, and with Bluenote experience, we have Weight Cajanek Rucinsky Mayers Johnson Hinote Drake Stempniak Boyes Backes McClement King and I guess Whitfield and maybe Sejna. We don't need to add two or three averageish players. We're loaded with that. We need one bonafide top 6 forward. That way we can leave a little room for a Drazenovic, Birner, Kana, Reaves, Linglet or Stastny to actually think that what they do at training camp matters as far as seeing time with the big club next season.

Last edited by Checker*: 05-23-2007 at 04:53 PM.
Checker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 08:20 PM
SneakerPimp82

Send a message via AIM to SneakerPimp82
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustInJarmo View Post
I want Drury. I would like to have Gomez if the price is right. But the fact of the matter is that to the rest of hockey nation, the Blues are kind of like the Cubs of hockey. And we are probably not going to land these 2 guys and more importantly we will not win a Cup next year (maybe in 2 or 3) but not in 2008.

With that said, if we can not land Drury or Gomez, then lets sit tight this year and not overpay for other players...DONT overpay at 5 or 6 mill a year for another Tkachoke.

Sign fill in players for 1 mill a year on 1 or 2 year deals and get another high draft pick in 2008.

Because next years free agent class is much better! And when other teams lock in more money this summer on Gomez, Briere, Drury etc...we will have money that other teams won't for these soon to be free agents in one year...

Jarome Iginla
Joe Sakic (though he is a long shot)
Markus Naslund
Brendan Morrison
Chris Kunitz

Joe Thornton (though I am not to high on him with his price tag)

Patrick Marleau (if he isn't traded this year or if he is traded and doesn't sign an extension)

Daniel Cleary (Not the best career...but he is hot this year, he had 12 points in the playoffs and is only 27)

Kris Draper ( I know most hate him here and he isn't a 1st or 2nd liner...but he is the type of player you would love if he was on your team. Nice 3rd or 4th liner and great vet to teach the young kids)

David Legwand
J.P. Dumont
Jochen Hecht
Dany Heatley
Cory Stillman

Jason Spezza (Yes, he is a RFA, but if you are going to sign a RFA...this is the guy...granted, we don't get screwed and have to give up Oshie for it

Sidney Crosby (A total longshot..but if we have the money to offer 9-10 mill a year...It might be an outside chance)

Mats Sundin (He will be 36...but might want to part with Toronto if they miss the playoffs again and get a fresh start. He might not be as expensive as his 5.3 million this year. And he put up 76 points in 75 games this year)

Martin Straka (70 points in 77 games this year and 10 points in 10 playoff games)

Michael Nylander (83 points in 79 games this year and 13 points in 10 playoffs games)

Patience Blues...patience.
Great post. Any of Heatley, Iginla or Marleau would be a massive signing for this team in the summer of '08. And with all of these guys being available at once, it lessens a bit the chance of a bidding war that would normally occur if only 1 elite guy were available, coupled with 2 or 3 mediocre guys.

SneakerPimp82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 08:41 PM
Gman7191

there isnt much of a chance that healty leaves Ottowa.

Gman7191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 08:55 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman7191 View Post
there isnt much of a chance that healty leaves Ottowa.
Odds might not be as good on Heatley leaving...

But remember, Spezza is a RFA at the same time and with Redden making 6.5 Million a year and Alfredsson making almost 5 million a year...it might to be tough to sign Heatley, Redden and Spezza at the same time next year.

Old
05-24-2007, 01:03 AM
Plager05

I agree I think we should be patient. I believe the team we ended with last year with a healthy Legace would be a shoe in for a playoff spot. I say they stick with the bargains and not overpay for a marquee player on a long term contract. Plus most of the guys available are in the lower end of the top ten for their position.

Plager05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 02:11 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plager05 View Post
I believe the team we ended with last year with a healthy Legace would be a shoe in for a playoff spot.
I DON'T agree. Boyes alone, won't replace both Tkachuk's and Guerin's goal scoring. The Blues don't necessarily need a top line scorer, but they need to add at least one top 6 scorer. They need to add at least a tier 2 scorer. He can come as a UFA signing, or in trade.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 07:07 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
I DON'T agree. Boyes alone, won't replace both Tkachuk's and Guerin's goal scoring. The Blues don't necessarily need a top line scorer, but they need to add at least one top 6 scorer. They need to add at least a tier 2 scorer. He can come as a UFA signing, or in trade.
I agree. I still think that they need to add two or three players for our top three lines. I think you have to send out three lines that can score to compete. I would hope to be able to produce 185-200 goals between the first three lines, because our defense and fourth line aren't going to score very much. We should be able to fetch a player or two for Backman and draft picks. Perhaps sign one rental veteran to fill out the top three. I think we could contend. Boyes doesn't replace Tkachuk or Guerin, but he could bring 20 to 25 goals with the right line mates. We need to dispose of a few 10 and under goal scorers.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 09:36 PM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

I would like to see us wait till next year to go sign a big name. The Blues will certainly need to get some one who can put up major points, but I think we need to wait so that our big name doesn't leave before we have a real chance to win it all. Also, at this time we need vets to help our younger guys grow. I also feel the brass isn't gonna want to spend too much yet. With that said it would be more interesting right now if we got that player.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote