HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Derek Roy

Old
05-23-2007, 10:47 PM
Checker*

vCash: 500
Derek Roy

I posted in the Jackman thread an inquiry into the trade availability of Derek Roy. Another idea is RFA offer sheeting him. The Sabres are going to have some tough decisions ahead as far as their UFAs (Briere, Drury, Zubrus) and RFAs (Vanek, Paille, and Roy). Rumors have teams interested in offersheeting Vanek. Well, there is a distinct possibility that if we offer 2.75-3 million dollars at Roy, they will decide that it isn't in their best interest to match. What we get is a top 6 center or winger, who had a 60 point season, and won't turn 25 until next May. It would cost us a 1st and a 3rd rounder in a draft in which we have 2 second round picks and, if Tkachuk goes back to Atlanta, a 1st to spare. Oh yeah, and we'd still have Backman to trade for another forward, thus filling our needs at forward without having to pay what could be ridiculus market prices this offseason.

Checker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 10:51 PM
Rush11

As a long-time, long-suffering Blues fan, muttering the words "restricted free agent" almost makes me have a grand mal seizure.

Rush11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 10:58 PM
Checker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush11 View Post
As a long-time, long-suffering Blues fan, muttering the words "restricted free agent" almost makes me have a grand mal seizure.

$660,000 or below
Compensation: None

Over $660,000 to $1 million
Compensation: Third round

Over $1 million to $2 million
Compensation: Second round

Over $2 million to $3 million
Compensation: First and third round

Over $3 million to $4 million
Compensation: First, second and third round

Over $4 million to $5 million
Compensation: Two in first round, second and third round

Over $5 million
Compensation: Four in first round
source: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_508792.html. Quoting the NHL Collective Bargaining Agreement.

No losing Stevens or countless draftpicks here. It costs a 1st and a 3rd. No questions asked.

Old
05-23-2007, 11:24 PM
Gman7191

Sounds good where do I sign?

By the way if someone steals away Vanek (unlikely) how much do u guys think he would get payed?

Gman7191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 09:44 AM
lecherous

Send a message via AIM to lecherous
Do you think the Blues would be open to trading Backman?

Plus, I have to think Buffalo would match anything $3m or less with Roy and just trade Kotalik to free up cap.

lecherous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 11:19 AM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecherous View Post

Plus, I have to think Buffalo would match anything $3m or less with Roy and just trade Kotalik to free up cap.
I think they are going to trade Backman between the Draft and the start of the Season? What do you offer?

c-carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 11:23 AM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush11 View Post
We Heve been burned when going there in the past havent we? Although as much as it pains me to admit it, these things were our fault.

Looking back at the package we offered for Shanahan, I dont blame the arbitratir nearly as much. The Key to the package was Curtis Joseph and the Devs were already set there with a young goaltender named Brodeur. We needed to substititute someone else for Joseph there.

Also if you remember the year before when we signed Scott Stevens as a restricted free agent and the Caps didnt match the offer this was the first time a team had tried this with a high profile guy and it caused a lot of **** throughout the league. They were laying for us when we did it again. I know we didnt break any rules but we broke a huge unwritten rule and some of the other owners couldn wait to stick it up our ass and we should have been smart enough not to go there a second time until more teams had done it and the attitude about this had changed throughout the league.

Last edited by c-carp: 05-24-2007 at 11:27 AM. Reason: More to say
Old
05-24-2007, 11:27 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

I really thought the compensation was higher than that. Weird.

What is Jackman's availability? Roy is a piece I'd be willing to part with, especially if it meant a shot at Jackman.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 11:29 AM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuddy View Post
I really thought the compensation was higher than that. Weird.

What is Jackman's availability? Roy is a piece I'd be willing to part with, especially if it meant a shot at Jackman.
There are no untouchables on the current roster but I think Jackman is a guy that you would have to overpay for.

Christian Backman is available in a deal I think. What do you think of him.

Old
05-24-2007, 11:32 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp View Post
There are no untouchables on the current roster but I think Jackman is a guy that you would have to overpay for.

Christian Backman is available in a deal I think. What do you think of him.
I like Backman a lot, but I'd need a bit more of a description of his game. He doesn't seem to be of the gritty, defensively warrior-like mold that we're looking for desperately on our blueline.

Old
05-24-2007, 11:38 AM
c-carp

Quote:
I like Backman a lot, but I'd need a bit more of a description of his game. He doesn't seem to be of the gritty, defensively warrior-like mold that we're looking for desperately on our blueline.
If you are looking for a defenceman in the Warrior mode he isnt your guy, He doesnt have a physical side to his game, He shows flashes of offensive skills and can move the puck well. A warrior type he isnt though. At least that is how I see him.

Also in my opinion with the things that stand out in his game IE offensive ability he is just too much of a teaser at this point his point totals should be better than what they are.

Also the main critisism I have of him is that I dont know if he forgets the difference between pain and injury at times, small injuries keep him out of the lineup at times.

If he ever puts it together though and brings what he can bring every night he could be a very good player.

Old
05-24-2007, 12:12 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp View Post
If you are looking for a defenceman in the Warrior mode he isnt your guy, He doesnt have a physical side to his game, He shows flashes of offensive skills and can move the puck well. A warrior type he isnt though. At least that is how I see him.

Also in my opinion with the things that stand out in his game IE offensive ability he is just too much of a teaser at this point his point totals should be better than what they are.

Also the main critisism I have of him is that I dont know if he forgets the difference between pain and injury at times, small injuries keep him out of the lineup at times.

If he ever puts it together though and brings what he can bring every night he could be a very good player.
Nice honest description of him. But no thanks. He's a far cry from what we need if all you say is true!

Old
05-24-2007, 03:46 PM
lecherous

Send a message via AIM to lecherous
Quote:
Nice honest description of him. But no thanks. He's a far cry from what we need if all you say is true!
Every time I've seen him he's been Tallinder-esque...great skating, good positioning and technical game, clears the zone effectively, and bodies up when necessary. I've only seen him about 10 times though, so I guess I could be wrong.

We have a warrior type defenseman and all he does is take himself out of the play trying to hit people and get caught on rushes.

I see Backman as a perfect replacement for Kalinin...we don't lose much on offense and get someone who's at least a little tougher, a bit cheaper, and way more sound positionally and technically.

I think a Kotalik for Backman, then Kalinin for ?? deal would work pretty well.

lecherous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 06:41 PM
StLooFrenchy

Backman is a shorter Kjell Samuelsson (sp?).

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 07:39 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecherous View Post

Waiving or trading Spacek is another option as well.

05-24-2007, 07:58 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecherous
I see Backman as a perfect replacement for Kalinin...we don't lose much on offense and get someone who's at least a little tougher, a bit cheaper, and way more sound positionally and technically.

I think a Kotalik for Backman, then Kalinin for ?? deal would work pretty well.
Ales Kotalik's a good start, but I think the Blues could get a little more for Christian Backman.

How about Kotalik and Felix Schutz for Backman?

P_B

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 09:01 PM
CCBC

I would almost take Kotalik for Backman heads up.

If Buffalo offered anything else.. I'd do it immediately.

CCBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 09:55 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
Ales Kotalik's a good start, but I think the Blues could get a little more for Christian Backman.

How about Kotalik and Felix Schutz for Backman?

P_B

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 10:03 PM
Checker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
This is a horrible deal for the Blues. Kotalik has mustered all of one season over 40 points in his career and he's 28. Backman has more value than this, but because he's now the odd man out on our roster, he gets devalued and offered around like he's nothing. And by odd man out, I don't mean he isn't good enough to crack our squad. I mean he's expendable because we have too many top 4 defensemen and are thinner at center and LW than an anorexic Ethiopian. PASS.

If we're moving Backman, we're getting a better return than we got for Wideman...and this deal isn't it. I mean I know it gets annoying when fans of teams make horribly lopsided proposals in an effort to try and get them a steal, but I'm getting tired of seeing Blues fans post proposals in which we bend ourselves over a barrel.

Old
05-24-2007, 10:26 PM
CCBC

I doubt your going to get a Brad Boyes type of player for Backman.

We robbed Boston in that deal.

Old
05-24-2007, 10:35 PM
Checker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCBC View Post
I doubt your going to get a Brad Boyes type of player for Backman.

We robbed Boston in that deal.
Edmonton needs a player like Backman. They have Lupul and Torres.

Old
05-24-2007, 11:23 PM
Gman7191

What about a trade for Marek Svatos? I know he had a down season, but he was amazing his rookie season before he got injured.

Gman7191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 06:27 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checker
Edmonton needs a player like Backman. They have Lupul and Torres.
Edmonton's not giving up Lupul for Backman, and I'd just as soon have Kotalik as Torres.

If Edmonton gave up Torres and Slava Trukhno for Backman, I'd consider it, but I doubt they would.

P_B

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 12:43 PM
CCBC

I would do Torres and a mid draft pick for Backman.

As for Svatos... I was amazed by his rookie year but I don't know if he can come anywhere close to repeating that.

Old
05-25-2007, 03:44 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
Edmonton's not giving up Lupul for Backman, and I'd just as soon have Kotalik as Torres.

If Edmonton gave up Torres and Slava Trukhno for Backman, I'd consider it, but I doubt they would.

P_B

I'm very impressed with your thinking in making a deal for Backman. I don't want a pick. I want a player and a prospect with a profile to be a player. I would prefer Kotalik and Clarke MacArthur. (Somehow I see both big name players returning to Buffalo for another cup run and someone will be left out.) Not that Kotalik and Schutz would be my favorite deal, but the thinking of a player and a prospect.

Torres and Trukhno is also an excellent combination. I wouldn't mind seeing O'Marra added (along with the other two) in that deal and the Blues throw in a high pick or replace Schremp for Truknho and the Blues throw in a pick. Edmonton has a lot of talented center prospects.

Checker,
Kotalik has scored 15 or more goals 4 straight years. Would he benefit with more ice time on powerplay or with a Weight getting him the puck? Do we need anymore guys who can't score more than 10? We seem to think they are worth a million dollars. (Mayers, Dvorak, Drake, Hinote, Johnson, McClement, Sejna...) 7 guys 47 goals and I'm excluding the enforcer. If I can't find a better deal, then I would be willing to make it. (but I would ask for MacArthur along with Kotalik) We have got to score more goals somehow.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote