HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plan for 2008/9 UFA now!

Old
05-25-2007, 08:42 AM
n_a_c

vCash: 500
Plan for 2008/9 UFA now!

My votes:
Resign Shanahan for 1 year
Sign Nylander for 1 year

Then in 2008/9 we'll have money available to go for Thorton. I would MUCH rather have the freedom to sign Thorton, than perhaps not have the flexibility because we are locked into a long term deal with Briere, Drury or Gomez. And if we lose on Thorton, Marleau will also be available in 2008/9.

As to second line center in 2007/8: I hope that Renney tries to roll four lines from day one, and lines 2 & 3 will be almost equal in ice time. Cullen can continue to center line 3. And for line 2 hopefully Dubinsky can grow into the role over the season. Until then, we'll make due with Straka or Avery.

n_a_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 08:46 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Can we play the 07-08 season before worrying about 08-09?

05-25-2007, 08:52 AM
free0717

[QUOTE=n_a_c;9370119]My votes:

Sign Nylander for 1 year

Nylander Wants and will get more than one year

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 09:07 AM
bogans

The only problem with this plan is Nylander will get 4 or 5 years, but I completely agree with you otherwise. I don't want to overpay this year for the limited free agents that are on the market. I really like Briere and Drury, I also like Timonen. I think that signing any of these guys would be a mistake for the 07-08 Rangers as they will lock us up and there most likely will be much better UFA's on the market for the 08-09 season. I also would like to see some of the kids getting icetime, so that they can develop. By icetime, I do not mean fourth line 5 or 6 minutes per game ala Nigel Dawes at the beginning of this past season. I would like to see Dubi, Cally, Dawes, Staal and possible one or two more guys from the Pack getting quality minutes for better or worse.

Then again, there is the argument that Drury centering our second line and Timonen on the blueline make us a legit cup contender. I understand people wanting to go for the cup next season, but would like to see all of this homegrown talent developed a bit more than we have lately.

bogans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 09:11 AM
Nich

nylander will get a contract that expires when Jagr's does. thats what i think

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 09:15 AM
NYR469

i don't know who is set to be POTENTIAL free agents in future years, but i think that in the cap world you MUST look ahead at the potential future options when making a decision. and who you determine might realistically be available over the next few years might determine if you are willing to offer gomez a 5 year deal or if would rather limit the offers to 1-2 years to avoid tying up $$ long term.

now you can't always base your decisions on those 'what ifs' cause all those players could re-sign and never become available and then you are left with nothing. but since under the cap you might be able to make a move now or later but not both, it is very important to look at the big picture and take those things into consideration.

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 09:58 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Thornton would be nice, but it's too much to worry about right now. Let's worry about 07-08 first.

Plus, I see San Jose resigning him before he goes UFA, and letting Marleau go, as Michalek, Carle, Bernier, Pavelski, Clowe, Erhoff, and Goc are all RFA's that year as well.

Patty Marleau is probably done as a Shark unless him and Joe want to take hometown discounts to stay in the Bay Area.

CM Lundqvist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 10:01 AM
broadwayblue

Of course the team is already looking to 08-09 now. I'd be scared if they weren't. They have a long term game plan in place and while they obviously can't know exactly which guys are going to be a part of it, they have a general idea of what direction they want to go. Anyone who doesn't think they are looking past next season is fooling themselves. The job of the organization is to be competitive now, but have their eyes on the future.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 11:18 AM
Ola

Joe Thorton is a great example of why I am afraid of "counting" that this team will be able to replace Jagr in the future, just because we got cap room.

Why would SJ let Thornton go? Why would Thornton leave them?

I would bet allot of money on that Thornton will stay in SJ.

Teams will almost always have the cap room to keep their stars, unless they got around 4 high caliber players at the same time, and really few teams got that. Pittsburgh will potentiall have to let go one of their big 4, Sid, Malkin, Staal and MAF.

But I don't see Columbus loosing Nash to UFA, or Detroit loosing Datsyuk or Zetterberg, or Vancouver loosing the Sedins, or Atalanta loosing Kovalchuk, or Washington Ovechkin.

Getting top notch firepower could be really tough, and we are bound to have lost JJ, Nyls, Straka and Shanahan in 2 years, JJ maybe sticks around longer, I don't know about Nyls -- though in any case they will be allot older...

From my point of view we need to sign 2 big UFA's in the comming 2 years if we want to stay in the run after JJ. That could be pretty tough, and a big reason for why I wouldn't mind if we went after Briere this summer.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 11:37 AM
funky

Why wait a year, Jagr wont be around forever and once he goes so does Nylander and Straka. That is when the true rebuilt happens. Use this year to start preparing for that and sign a proper second line, one with size, character and grit. Drury and Hartnell are the two big targets we should be after this year and I would not sign Shanny. We don't need a UFA dman or goalie, so this is a year to set sights on two great forwards.

Rumors out of Edmonton are that they need defence and that they are shopping Lupul. Send them Prucha and Malik for Lupul. Totally re-designed second line that has some speed, grit, and size with guys that should score between 50 and 70 points a piece. Jagr still gets his Czech line with Straka and Nylander and Roszival on the point. 3rd line of Cullen, Callahan and Avery would be awesome to watch and a forth line with solid Betts, Hollweg and hopefully a rook or two rotating through out it.

Defence is set and cheap. Mara, Roszival, Girardi, Staal, Pock, Tyutin.

Goaltender = Lundqvist and Valiquette

Trade bait - Montoya, Prucha, Dawes, Mara, Kasparaitis

Wishful trade - Mara, Montoya, Dawes to L.A for Visnovsky (re-signed) and Tukonen.
wishful trade 2 - Prucha and Malik to Edm for Lupul

sorry had to edit, went back and the yellow killed my eyes as well hope blue is better. As well I forgot to add Tukonen to the trade 1. Used to be a linemate of Korpikoski. Both would look great on a future 3rd line. Visnovsky is the puck mover we need wih great punch from the back end.

Last edited by funky: 05-25-2007 at 04:40 PM.
funky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 11:38 AM
rickyrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
nylander will get a contract that expires when Jagr's does. thats what i think
Jagr's contract has all kinds of built in extension triggers.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 11:40 AM
Vodka Drunkenski

Send a message via AIM to Vodka Drunkenski Send a message via Yahoo to Vodka Drunkenski
Quote:
Originally Posted by funky View Post
Why wait a year, Jagr wont be around forever and once he goes so does Nylander and Straka. That is when the true rebuilt happens. Use this year to start preparing for that and sign a proper second line, one with size, character and grit. Drury and Hartnell are the two big targets we should be after this year and I would not sign Shanny. We don't need a UFA dman or goalie, so this is a year to set sights on two great forwards.

Rumors out of Edmonton are that they need defence and that they are shopping Lupul. Send them Prucha and Malik for Lupul. Totally re-designed second line that has some speed, grit, and size with guys that should score between 50 and 70 points a piece. Jagr still gets his Czech line with Straka and Nylander and Roszival on the point. 3rd line of Cullen, Callahan and Avery would be awesome to watch and a forth line with solid Betts, Hollweg and hopefully a rook or two rotating through out it.

Defence is set and cheap. Mara, Roszival, Girardi, Staal, Pock, Tyutin.

Goaltender = Lundqvist and Valiquette

Trade bait - Montoya, Prucha, Dawes, Mara, Kasparaitis

Wishful trade - Mara, Montoya, Dawes to L.A for Visnovsky.
My eyes hurt trying to read what you wrote.

Vodka Drunkenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 11:56 AM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootin'Tyutin View Post
My eyes hurt trying to read what you wrote.
My eyes are hurting reading this thread... can we get through this free agent market before we talk about next year please? Right now all I want to think about is the upcoming year and making a run.

Staggarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 12:32 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrod View Post
Jagr's contract has all kinds of built in extension triggers.
I don't think that is correct. He is signed through 07-08 and has an option year for 08-09. That's pretty much it.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 12:34 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:

Funk, thats bad, I mean really bad.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 12:49 PM
alkurtz

You can't plan more than one year at a time when if comes to UFAs. Chances are many of the players who will be UFAs two years down the line will be locked up by their teams before they become available.
You must take advantage of the players available when they come onto the market.
Though I would not be terribly upset if we don't sign any UFAs this summer and continue to build with youth, I'm not adverse to making a serious run at Gomez, Briere, or Drury. I'm not adverse to throwing all the money management has allocated for UFAs at one big player (aside from our own) and forget multiple lesser signings. Signing only one guy still leaves slots for younger players. 2nd line center is still our #1 problem and what would happen if Nylander gets hurt or his skills deteriorate? We'd be in big trouble....I'm a fan of Dubinsky but I don't see him as a #1 or even a #2 center when he matures. He's a classic 2A center, and we've seen plenty of them (like Cullen).
The Jags/Nylander/Straka era will likely end at the same time.
Again, you don't know what the future will bring so you must strike while the iron is hot.

alkurtz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 01:07 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

I'd rather focus on eating the bowl of tomato soup in front of me today rather than hope that I may have chicken noodle soup tomorrow.

but that's just me.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 01:16 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Rumors out of Edmonton are that they need defence and that they are shopping Lupul. Send them Prucha and Malik for Lupul.
Hmmmm...I think I see a potential flaw in your plan...

Quote:
This would be horrible, and I like Visnovsky.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 01:19 PM
philbo

Thorton is San Jose's franchise player, they're not going to lose him.

philbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 02:14 PM
n_a_c

UFA are just that - unrestricted. So all a team can do is offer as much as they are willing to spend. It is entirely up to the player to choose which team to sign with. Luckily, the Rangers play in the greatest city in the world - a big draw for a lot of players. And luckily right now - the Rangers look to have a bright future with Henrik in goal and good prospect depth. So I'll venture that most UFA will _consider_ a Rangers offer as long as it is for enough $$$. Of course, some UFA players will self impose constraints - say they want to live close to family, or don't like NYC - and therefore will not consider a Rangers offer.

I have a feeling that most pending UFA do not re-sign with their existing team for an extended contract prior to becoming a UFA. Does anyone have data about that?

I'm glad a few people agree with me that we HAVE to plan for the future today. That is the most important aspect of the salary cap - planning. Signing Briere to a $6.5 million 5 year contract obviously locks that money up for the length of the contract. Right now, the Rangers have tremendous flexibility for the future. And there are superstar players in the league for which I'd gladly lock up for big money for many years. Such as Thorton. But we wont have the flexibilty we need if we sign a non-superstar player to a superstar salary.

Imagine Thorton & Jagr on the Rangers. I know that I start to drool. One of those two might be on the second line! Now imagine Drury & Jagr on the same team. I don't start to drool at all. I just immediately want to ask - how much did we spend.

Gotta go get some napkins...

n_a_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 06:38 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Iginla will be a UFA... Yes please!

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote