HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent Talk

Old
05-09-2007, 03:03 PM
handtrick

vCash: 500
Free Agent Talk

Since things appear to be getting a little boring around here, thougt I would throw this one out there.....

I find it interesting that Eklund is mentioning the Preds in association with Saku Koivu.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=7424

I know , it's Eklund and all, but the guys does have an amazing amount of contacts, and I am sure that Poile has got some feelers out there to determine the interest in other UFAs in the Preds as he gages Timonen, Kariya, and Hartnell's interest in staying.

I gotta tell you...he does bring great leadership qualities....BUT....at $4.75 mill last year....and at 5'10" and 187 lbs, with G22 A53 Pts75 [the most in his career, by the way].......he was a still a freaking -21 last year.

If we are thinking about throwing that kind of money around for a center....they better be looking at "Mr. Clutch" Chris Drury, as far as I am concerned.....heck, I would rather go for Michael Handzus at less than 1/2 the amount that Koivu or Drury will be seeking....than for Koivu.

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 06:02 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I love Koivu, I love his leadership, but we need size\scoring at this point.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 06:25 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

What about Shanahan? I know that he's looking to return to NY, and I know he was possibly the biggest Pred-Killer in history..but he'd add a great deal of size, scoring and leadership...

Old
05-09-2007, 07:16 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

The only problem with Koivu is that he WILL get hurt. He plays bigger than he is, is a leader and a warrior. Anyone remember the playoff matchup of the Habs vs. the Bruins? The guy had so many injuries, I was surprised he could get out of bed and he still scored bundles of points......

There will be a lot of centers out on the market this year. It would be interesting to see if we grab one. Drury, Briere, Koivu, Gomez, Handzus, Forsberg......just to name a few. Signing a center could also be a protection clause for the impending FA of David Legwand.....

05-10-2007, 12:51 AM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
ZEUS - one of my favorite centers in the game.

Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 06:22 AM
PeterAngelo
In Elliott We Trust

Here's what i am hoping we do:

*Hope Buffalo sign Briere leaving Drury on the open market, and then throw everything including the kitchen sink at getting him in a preds jersey.

*Farewell Timonen with a handshake and a 'best of luck' if he is indeed looking at a payrise, and sign a defenseman in the ilk of scott hannan.

*Re-sign Hartnell

*Let Kariya go with a and a pat on the back, and a 'thanks for being the first big free agent to show an interest in Nashville and thanks for helping to put the preds on the map as a free agent destination'.

*Give Radulov Kariya's minutes.

PeterAngelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 08:01 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusPredsfan View Post
Here's what i am hoping we do:

*Hope Buffalo sign Briere leaving Drury on the open market, and then throw everything including the kitchen sink at getting him in a preds jersey.

*Farewell Timonen with a handshake and a 'best of luck' if he is indeed looking at a payrise, and sign a defenseman in the ilk of scott hannan.

*Re-sign Hartnell

*Let Kariya go with a and a pat on the back, and a 'thanks for being the first big free agent to show an interest in Nashville and thanks for helping to put the preds on the map as a free agent destination'.

*Give Radulov Kariya's minutes.
Thank god I'm not the only one that's saying that

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 08:31 AM
hillbilly

Send a message via AIM to hillbilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Trotz View Post
Thank god I'm not the only one that's saying that
I don't agree with you on a lot of things, but I'll agree here.

hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 11:02 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

contingency plan...cheaper option than Hannan...

Cory Sarich

Old
05-10-2007, 11:14 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
contingency plan...cheaper option than Hannan...

Cory Sarich
Man that is a huge fall back plan......I mean Sarich is nothing special. He is more in the Hnidy mold then a top 3 defenseman mold.

Enoch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 11:17 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Man that is a huge fall back plan......I mean Sarich is nothing special. He is more in the Hnidy mold then a top 3 defenseman mold.
He's much, much better than Shane Hnidy. Shane Hnidy is a number 6 or even 7 on most teams...Sarich is more like a solid number 4...

Old
05-10-2007, 11:18 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

and as much as I want us to be, I'm saying this mostly because I think it's a lot more realistic than Hannan. We've been spoiled the last couple of years with the Kariya\Arnott signings, but realistically, I don't see anything like that, this year.

I actually worry that our big summer signing this year will be Paul Kariya.

Old
05-10-2007, 12:04 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
and as much as I want us to be, I'm saying this mostly because I think it's a lot more realistic than Hannan. We've been spoiled the last couple of years with the Kariya\Arnott signings, but realistically, I don't see anything like that, this year.

I actually worry that our big summer signing this year will be Paul Kariya.
Your probably right. I'm guessing we bring in a guy like a Markov either through a trade or as an outright signing. One thing has become clear - Kevin Klein is ready for the NHL, and Poile has even stated as much. He will either be given a roster spot or traded. Zidlicky could be traded as well. In fact, I would say it is very likely that one of Zidlicky or Klein is going to be moved, even if we have no intentions of bringing Kimmo back.

I'll look at the list of FA later and mention who I think we would likely target or have interest in.

Enoch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 01:32 PM
PredDave

Eklund's chart says that Scott Walker has a 50% chance of resigning with the Predators, too.

I would love us to cut ties with Scott Nichol and sign Wayne Primeau instead.

A veteran guy like Martin Gelinas or Gary Roberts would be great for filling the locker room with more heart and soul... (assuming Sully is out for 1/2 to 2/3 of a season).

1 veteran (and/or physically big) D-man signing? Aaron Miller, Ken Klee, Ossi Vaananen, Nick Boynton, Cory Sarich, Scott Hannan anyone?

Trade Zidlicky, let Timonen walk, sign Kariya for one more year at a cheaper rate (otherwise let him walk), and please, please, please sign Hartnell long term (5 years @ 3 million per year).

Drury or Gomez signed to be our bonafide #1 center would be awesome, but I would settle for a bigger, cheaper Handzus.
Who am I kidding? We'll end up with Smolinski or Peca, I bet...

What about a winger with some net presence, like a Taylor Pyatt?

PredDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 03:44 PM
FissionFire

Suprised you guys wouldn't want Danny Markov back. I've been very impressed with his defensive and physical game this season and still wondering exactly why the Preds didn't want him back. Seems his nasty in-your-face style would have been perfect against the Sharks.

Drury is gonna cost a kings ransom. Definitely more than Datsyuk signed for so probably something in the $6.5-7mil range. Lots of teams desperate for a center (Rangers and Thrashers for example). Gomez will be a bit cheaper at the $6-6.5mil range.

Hannan would be great at $4mil, but I've got a feeling he'll get more like $5mil.

Shanahan will either retire or resign with the Rangers. The only other team he might consider going to is Detroit, but I doubt we want him.

Hartnell might be rough. He'll be the #2 winger on many lists behind Smyth and could land a $4mil contract over 5 years.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 03:55 PM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
Suprised you guys wouldn't want Danny Markov back. I've been very impressed with his defensive and physical game this season and still wondering exactly why the Preds didn't want him back. Seems his nasty in-your-face style would have been perfect against the Sharks.

It is a shame that we never saw that side of Danny Markov that he has showed with Detroit or Philly for that matter.
The word was that he wasn't happy how he was being utilized here in Nashville, so I don't know how good of terms that he departed on with Poile/Trotz.

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 07:38 PM
RaiderDoug

Personally, Im not looking for any huge names. We dont need to throw a dumptruck full of cash at Briere or Gomez.

I'd be very happy with upgrades of blue line and the 3rd and 4th line. I think with Erat, Radulov, Leggy, Arnott, Dumont, and a healthy Sully we should have enough firepower to score enough each night to win.

Take our cash and offer it to Hartnell, see if we cant coax Kariya to stay at a reasonable rate.

Then, work on finding replacements for Nichol, Tootoo, etc on those bottom lines. We stood toe to toe with San Jose's top 2 lines. We got mauled by Grier, Clowe, etc.

Then go out and get a veteran D-Man. Im not of the opinion that we need a big time #1. I think Weber is well on his way. But we do need a guy who is smart, steady, with a bit of size. Miller, Boynton, Hannan, Brad Stuart. I think Sarich would be a great pick up. You should be able to pick up a guy like that without breaking the bank.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2007, 03:38 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

*eklund alert*

"Apparently, Peter Forsberg said to team doctors in Nashville before he left, \"Hope to see you in September.\" Knowing Foppa, that is intersting. Peter doesn\'t lie.\\"

Old
05-11-2007, 04:18 PM
HBGamblers

PredDave makes the most sense out of all of you but let me say this, although Kariya didn't produce like he should of in the playoffs he didn't take a ton of penalties, Nashville lost because of too many penalties, Hartnell can be one of the guys blamed for this, also the hit on Cheechoo sparked all kinds of emotions in the series and also indirectly resulted in Radulov getting a game, which along with the piss poor goal Vokoun let in from the blue line by Rivet in game three is what turned this entire series around. Get rid of Hartnell now he has not been a difference maker for you guys in a good way. Keep Kariya and even Timonen if you can but not for 5 million. Get rid of Zidlicky as Weber has replaced him and more. Vokoun well time will tell, but this year didn't do him any favors, he was shaky and Mason wasn't. Forsberg is a dream I think so Nashville needs to make a blockbuster trade for a number one centre and rumors have Marleau available not sure anyone else out there is available who can be a number one centre, Drury is not a number one guy either. A number one Dman would definitely help but perhaps you already have him in Weber, give them time, I know you expected to win the cup this year but complain all you want but it was Vokoun, Nichol and Hartnell (and Sully's injury) who cost you in the playoffs, not the D or Kariya. Signing Kariya should be a priority simply because he was the first big free agent to sign there, show him some appreciation.

Kariya ??? Radulov
Sullivan Arnott Dumont

Sorry that leaves no room for Hartnell on the top two lines and he'll whine he should be on top two lines, see ya later.

HBGamblers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2007, 04:22 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Thanks for telling us what to think, mysterious stranger.

We shooooore do 'preciate it!

Old
05-11-2007, 05:00 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBGamblers View Post
PredDave makes the most sense out of all of you but let me say this, although Kariya didn't produce like he should of in the playoffs he didn't take a ton of penalties, Nashville lost because of too many penalties, Hartnell can be one of the guys blamed for this, also the hit on Cheechoo sparked all kinds of emotions in the series and also indirectly resulted in Radulov getting a game, which along with the piss poor goal Vokoun let in from the blue line by Rivet in game three is what turned this entire series around. Get rid of Hartnell now he has not been a difference maker for you guys in a good way. Keep Kariya and even Timonen if you can but not for 5 million. Get rid of Zidlicky as Weber has replaced him and more. Vokoun well time will tell, but this year didn't do him any favors, he was shaky and Mason wasn't. Forsberg is a dream I think so Nashville needs to make a blockbuster trade for a number one centre and rumors have Marleau available not sure anyone else out there is available who can be a number one centre, Drury is not a number one guy either. A number one Dman would definitely help but perhaps you already have him in Weber, give them time, I know you expected to win the cup this year but complain all you want but it was Vokoun, Nichol and Hartnell (and Sully's injury) who cost you in the playoffs, not the D or Kariya. Signing Kariya should be a priority simply because he was the first big free agent to sign there, show him some appreciation.

Kariya ??? Radulov
Sullivan Arnott Dumont

Sorry that leaves no room for Hartnell on the top two lines and he'll whine he should be on top two lines, see ya later.
you mean that piss poor goal that was shot through a screen and actually deflected by michalek? I thought the preds d let vokoun down.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2007, 08:10 PM
predhead1

Quote:
What about Shanahan? I know that he's looking to return to NY, and I know he was possibly the biggest Pred-Killer in history..but he'd add a great deal of size, scoring and leadership...
I think Shanny would be a great addition, but it doubt he wants to leave NY. He'd give us a little bit of everything we need: toughness, size, leadership, scoring. I'd easily take him over Kariya.

predhead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2007, 08:55 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
Personally, Im not looking for any huge names. We dont need to throw a dumptruck full of cash at Briere or Gomez.

I'd be very happy with upgrades of blue line and the 3rd and 4th line. I think with Erat, Radulov, Leggy, Arnott, Dumont, and a healthy Sully we should have enough firepower to score enough each night to win.

Take our cash and offer it to Hartnell, see if we cant coax Kariya to stay at a reasonable rate.

Then, work on finding replacements for Nichol, Tootoo, etc on those bottom lines. We stood toe to toe with San Jose's top 2 lines. We got mauled by Grier, Clowe, etc.

Then go out and get a veteran D-Man. Im not of the opinion that we need a big time #1. I think Weber is well on his way. But we do need a guy who is smart, steady, with a bit of size. Miller, Boynton, Hannan, Brad Stuart. I think Sarich would be a great pick up. You should be able to pick up a guy like that without breaking the bank.
I agree

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2007, 11:00 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I'd love Michal Handzus. Last year was a fluke with his injury. It was really his first major injury and because of that he will come cheap as a FA. He's got a great faceoff percentage, size, and would feed who ever will be his wings.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2007, 11:04 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
I'd love Michal Handzus. Last year was a fluke with his injury. It was really his first major injury and because of that he will come cheap as a FA. He's got a great faceoff percentage, size, and would feed who ever will be his wings.
He's not rumored to be coming cheap. An article a while back had quotes where he believes that BECAUSE of the fluky injury, he's still a 3-4 million dollar player.