HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Habs offer Markov 20+M$/4years

Old
05-25-2007, 09:24 PM
Bruinster*

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Bruinster*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
So you're telling me Markov is worth 4.5.

What do you think Chara is worth then? Honestly.

Because if Markov is only worth 4.5..Chara sure as hell isn't worth 7.
Chara is the most overpay player of the league for the season he give to us.

Like I said on others thread, If markov, McCabe, Chara ect... get that kind of contract IMO its prove this league is pretty weak on elite defenseman lately.

Bruinster* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 09:25 PM
Namso

As a hab fan, I would be very happy if Markov took this deal, but if i look at it critically, he could get a lot more on the open market.

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 09:29 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinster View Post
Chara is the most overpay player of the league for the season he give to us.

Like I said on others thread, If markov, McCabe, Chara ect... get that kind of contract IMO its prove this league is pretty weak on elite defenseman lately.
Well atleast you agree that Chara isn't worth 7 million

As for Markov. He's only 28 years old, continues to improve..and is arguably a top 10-15 defenseman in the NHL.

He playes the PP and is a fantastic shutdown/positional defenseman who also chips in offensively.

Montreal would be lost without him in the lineup. And maybe you don't think he's worth 5 million..but to Montreal he is, and I'm sure many teams in the NHL would love to get their hands on Markov for 5 million per season.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 09:47 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerlova View Post
Lowe better offer this guy at least 30 mill for 5 years. He is a stud and I can't believe some of you think this is a good deal for Markov.

It's fine if he like Montreal and wants to remain a Hab, but he can and will get a lot more on the market. He is worth 6.5 easy.
Well for a guy that scores so little and he's not the big point getter, 5 Million a year is pretty great. Markov is about a little better than Phillips and he in turn gets 3.5.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 10:04 PM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
Considering what guys like Jovanovski and Kubina got via free agency last season, I'd be pretty surprised if Markov signs this contract (he should be a lock for $6 million). Who knows though, it's entirely possible he likes Montreal enough to take a massive discount.
You'd hope teams had learned their lessons after those two dissasters, but I have a feeling you are right. I see him taking 5.4mil to stay with Montreal.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 10:16 PM
Fan-of-#9

I would laugh for 1 week straight if someone pays Markov $6M.

He should take that offer and run IMO.

Fan-of-#9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 11:09 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Well for a guy that scores so little and he's not the big point getter, 5 Million a year is pretty great. Markov is about a little better than Phillips and he in turn gets 3.5.
He did finish 17th in defenseman scoring this year and 20th last year (would have been top 15 if he played the whole year)

You add that to the fact that he is really good in his own end, leads the rush, and eats lots of minutes and you have a very good dman. He is a top 10 dman in the league right now and will get paid like one if he tests the market. I would love to have him for 6 million a year.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2007, 01:03 AM

Quote:
He did finish 17th in defenseman scoring this year and 20th last year (would have been top 15 if he played the whole year)

You add that to the fact that he is really good in his own end, leads the rush, and eats lots of minutes and you have a very good dman. He is a top 10 dman in the league right now and will get paid like one if he tests the market. I would love to have him for 6 million a year.
Markov at the top of his game is almost flawless defensively...he's a great player IMO and while I think that deal is more than fair for Markov, I honestly believe he could get more on the open market if he chose to go that route, you better believe some team would offer him in the close to if not or right at 6M/yr. Defensman who can move the puck up the ice, log heavy minutes, are above average offensively/defensively and can play against opponents top lines game in game out are a hot commodity, GM's are willing to pay the price for dmen like that just cause they're aren't many out there.

For a team that was as bad as Montreal was 5 on 5, Markov maintained a + rating while playing on his team's top pairing is just phenominal. This is where a +/- sign really indicates value.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2007, 06:10 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaner89 View Post
Seems a bit high but hes a great player.... i wonder what this does for Souray.
For what its worth, I remember Souray being quoted (on TSN?) he himself believes Markov is more important/valuable player than himself.

If Markov signed for this amount, and Souray takes the same or even slightly less, there it is possible both remain Habs - when you count Niinimaa, Rivet, Aebischer, Bonk and/or Johnson getting replaced with cheaper/younger players.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2007, 07:05 AM
crashthenet

Some bottom of the heap team will throw bigger money at him like the Hawks did with Aucoin and the Blues did with McKee, et al. I would think if Markov's agent countered with 5.5 per over 5 the Habs would jump on it. If not Nassau County is a wonderful place to live, for both or any Markov.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2007, 07:28 AM
Cors

Send a message via ICQ to Cors
5 Mile is a good deal for both.

Cors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2007, 07:43 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:

My only nitpick with that is I don't really find Markov to lead the rush much. Of course, that's not something that much of anybody does for the Habs, sadly. I think Markov could lead the rush more... whether it would require more green lights from the coaching staff or more confidence on his part, I don't know.

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2007, 07:50 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Lowe better offer this guy at least 30 mill for 5 years. He is a stud and I can't believe some of you think this is a good deal for Markov.

It's fine if he like Montreal and wants to remain a Hab, ...
Which incidently it might be worth pointing out (again) that he has been quoted numerous times as saying is precisely the case. Of course, we've been very well conditioned in recent years to not treat such claims from players as gospel, by any stretch. But my gut feeling on Markov, based on what we think we know of his personality (quiet, low-profile guy), is that when he says something like that, he's at least more likely to mean it than most.

I will be surprised if Lowe or anybody else gets a chance to offer Markov anything. Even if he doesn't take this offer (if this offer even exists), the Habs still have over a month to negotiate. They're not going to let him walk over a $1M discrepancy (like some GMs would ).

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2007, 08:57 AM
Kaktus*

Markov should not sign this deal. He is the best d-man on UFA market this season. He will sign for 6m. Probably?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2007, 09:14 AM
hockeydadx2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddygmr View Post
I believe you will see Washington offer considerably more than that on July1.....
In order for the Caps to attract anybody to that organization they will have to massively, massively overpay.

hockeydadx2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2007, 09:20 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydadx2 View Post
In order for the Caps to attract anybody to that organization they will have to massively, massively overpay.
He's great friends with Ovechkin and that might be a reason.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2007, 05:18 PM
goalchenyuk

RDS is saying that his agent Meehan is saying that there is a LOT of work to do in the negotiations .

I hate Meehan . This guy is to hockey , what a mafioso is to Italy.

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2007, 05:24 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydadx2 View Post
Says who?

They might have to spend a bit more... but lets not kid ourselves. Playing time, a top rate practice facility (which is probably a toss up between LA and Dcs as to the best in the NHL), a young team on the rise, and the ability to play with some budding stars will be attractive to a few players on the market.

In order to lock up the top players in the market, most teams will have to overpay. That is how free agency works. But saying the Caps will have to "massively, massively overpay" to get anything done is foolish.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2007, 06:22 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersphan View Post
very true for that reason alone i want him to take that deal.
i think he is the best all-around UFA dman this year...i would rather pay him $6MM then souray or timmonen

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2007, 08:06 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
For what its worth, I remember Souray being quoted (on TSN?) he himself believes Markov is more important/valuable player than himself.
It was in the Gazette, actually.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2007, 09:06 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs911 View Post
http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/229786.html

It's in french, but it just means that RDS has learned that the Habs put an offer on Markov's table. The offer is worthed a bit more that 20M$ over 4 years.

I feel Markov is worth that and if he hits the market he would get 6M$ from some teams. I hope he re-signs.
I guess the NYRs really weren't responsible for all those stupid contracts in the pre-lockout NHL because too many teams in the post NHL lockout era are offering stupid contracts without the NYRs submitting a bid.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2007, 10:23 AM
znk

According to Meehan Markov did not recieve a 20 million dollar offer.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2007, 10:47 AM
Mr Sakich

the other thing to consider is the high taxes in quebec. a 5 mill offer there is a 4 mill in florida, texas, or alberta

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2007, 11:39 AM
LeHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
According to Meehan Markov did not recieve a 20 million dollar offer.
Source?

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2007, 11:52 AM
Gamefreak
Bee.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source

source!

Gamefreak is offline   Reply With Quote