HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

why is salo playing?

Closed Thread

Old
12-23-2003, 08:05 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

vCash: 730
why is salo playing?

lately i have been reading that salos problems this year are stemming partly from personal problems. my question is, why is he playing? if emotionally he is hurting right now how does it help this team with him playing. he should be dealing with those problems first and foremost, to me he is only hurting the rest of the team. no the oilers are not losing because of him, but the reality is if a player is having personal problems the best option is to give him the time off to deal with them. the team cant force him but i would hope salo would get the help he needs. of course it could be a rumour however something is bothering him.

Old
12-23-2003, 08:18 PM
windowlicker

vCash: 500
Its a wildguess, but I think it would have helped Salo's psyche and confidence tonite if Oilers scored more than 1 goal.

Old
12-23-2003, 08:20 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
Its a wildguess, but I think it would have helped Salo's psyche and confidence tonite if Oilers scored more than 1 goal.
I agree. Not to mention Conks was weak against Vancouver and Salo has had Battle of Alberta experience. This was by no means Salo's fault. The forwards couldn't hit the ocean from the beach and the defensemen haven't got a shot on net in weeks.

Old
12-23-2003, 08:32 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

geez are you two blind. read my post again this had nothing to do with tonights game, this is overall. its like talking to a brick wall.

Old
12-23-2003, 08:34 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

here we go salo+personal problems=sieve. does that help, maybe a drawing what tell me how i could make it more simple for you.

Old
12-23-2003, 08:40 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola
here we go salo+personal problems=sieve. does that help, maybe a drawing what tell me how i could make it more simple for you.
And what do you propose? Riding an unproven rookie goaltender and sitting a 4 million dollar veteran? I will spell it out to you. The only chance this team has in doing anything is Salo rebounding from a slow start and poor last season. He needs to return to where he was for this team to do anything. It wasn't like Conklin was on fire winning every game he played - he is under or at .500 as well. Salo hasn't been the issue of late. He may have problems - but that is no excuse for not playing as you seem to want. He is an NHL goaltender. That is his profession. He gets paid to play - the Oilers play him. I am not sure what the issue is here.

Old
12-23-2003, 08:44 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

i give up. personal problems outside of hockey do you not realize if they are affecting him it does not help this team by playing him. how can i make it more simple. do i have the solution no i dont but the emotional well being of a human being could be the problem here. there if you cant fathom that i dont know what else to try.

Old
12-23-2003, 08:55 PM
Walsher

Quote:
i give up. personal problems outside of hockey do you not realize if they are affecting him it does not help this team by playing him. how can i make it more simple. do i have the solution no i dont but the emotional well being of a human being could be the problem here. there if you cant fathom that i dont know what else to try.
If he cannot put those problems aside at the workplace then he should resign his position. In the real world he would be fired or kicked in the pants. I sympathize with him for his problems - but the bottom line is he is being paid a large sum of money to do a job. He is a professional, he has to get past those issues and do what he is paid to do. Doctors, Dentists, Lawyers, Teachers, Managers etc. do it all the time. If he can't then the Oilers should look to recover their money. I'm sorry I just can't agree with your position on this one. I have problems from time to time and if I carry them to work I will have to accept consequences.

Old
12-23-2003, 08:59 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

missed the point again, im saying he should not be playing as you said then he should be let go. there is no point in keeping a player who might not be thinking about hockey at all.

Old
12-23-2003, 08:59 PM
LawnDemon

i was at the game tonight (the guy with the brown paper bag on his head) and salo was terrible... and i mean TERRIBLE. 2 weak goals (caused by floundering out of position) and 3 goal posts.

frankly, it was one of the worst games i've ever seen him play. he was down too early on every shot and consistently WAY out of position. overall, he was dwarfed by the flames goalie.

however, it is also true that with conklin (or even brodeur) in goal the oilers still would have lost tonight and against vancouver. so what does that tell us?

our starting goalie is terrible but has a lucky night and the oilers STILL lose.

this is not good.

Old
12-24-2003, 06:10 AM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
If he cannot put those problems aside at the workplace then he should resign his position. In the real world he would be fired or kicked in the pants. I sympathize with him for his problems - but the bottom line is he is being paid a large sum of money to do a job. He is a professional, he has to get past those issues and do what he is paid to do. Doctors, Dentists, Lawyers, Teachers, Managers etc. do it all the time. If he can't then the Oilers should look to recover their money. I'm sorry I just can't agree with your position on this one. I have problems from time to time and if I carry them to work I will have to accept consequences.
Two things:
a) you must have a pretty brutal boss, or have had a string of them
b) I would never work for you, if you think it's right to fire people when they go through a bad stretch from personal problems. (*Everybody* will. They'll get divorced, their kids will fail out of school, they'll get into a bad car accident, somebody in their family will die. Something. Anything.)

In the "real world", people have personal problems all the time. Good bosses try to let their employees work through them. Poor bosses ride their employees about them. Really poor bosses fire their employees because of them. Great way to ensure that your other employees will never, ever tell you about any problems they're having.

Mind you, I'm not management, but I've worked in several different workplaces with wildly different bosses.

Incidentally, how, precisely, do you suggest that the Oilers "recover their money"? Fire Salo? OK, they gotta buy him out. So now they've paid him and they also need to go with Conks and Valiquette. I think I'd rather see Essensa and Shtalenkov again. Even Fuhr and Ranford. Trade him? Bzzt, nobody'd touch him.

Since the Oilers went through this only a couple of months ago with Dvorak, and I think everybody was fairly pleased with the treatment, I would imagine they suggested something similar to Salo. I'm pretty sure that's probably why he was out as long as he was. He and the coaching staff (and probably KLowe) decided it was time to try playing again. He's struggled, and the entire team has sucked in front of him to boot.

What's the right thing to do? Not sure, but I'm fairly certain that firing Salo (either through buying him out or trading him - unless it's a trade that brings back another G) isn't it.

Old
12-24-2003, 09:24 AM
Master Lok

Quote:
lately i have been reading that salos problems this year are stemming partly from personal problems. my question is, why is he playing? if emotionally he is hurting right now how does it help this team with him playing. he should be dealing with those problems first and foremost, to me he is only hurting the rest of the team. no the oilers are not losing because of him, but the reality is if a player is having personal problems the best option is to give him the time off to deal with them. the team cant force him but i would hope salo would get the help he needs. of course it could be a rumour however something is bothering him.
Before you make some assumptions about why Salo was allowed to play, despite his personal problems, can you post some evidence (i.e. a link) regarding these personal problems?

Old
12-24-2003, 12:04 PM
t0mf00lery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
And what do you propose? Riding an unproven rookie goaltender and sitting a 4 million dollar veteran? I will spell it out to you. The only chance this team has in doing anything is Salo rebounding from a slow start and poor last season. He needs to return to where he was for this team to do anything. It wasn't like Conklin was on fire winning every game he played - he is under or at .500 as well. Salo hasn't been the issue of late. He may have problems - but that is no excuse for not playing as you seem to want. He is an NHL goaltender. That is his profession. He gets paid to play - the Oilers play him. I am not sure what the issue is here.

I'd just like to point out the Conklin's Save Percentage is at .920 and in the top ten in the league, while Salo's is .867 and worst in the league.

I know you can't judge a goalie based on stats alone or even mostly by stats, but having said that, SP is a quite a telling stat.

Old
12-24-2003, 06:21 PM
creative giant*

Quote:
My guess is that the owners would be pretty peeved to pay 4 mil to a guy for sitting on the bench

Old
12-24-2003, 07:58 PM
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative giant
My guess is that the owners would be pretty peeved to pay 4 mil to a guy for sitting on the bench
It doesn't matter. The owners are mostly businessmen, and will understand the concept of a sunk cost. We have to pay Salo's salary this year. That doesn't mean that the Oilers have to play him. How many chances do you give a goalie to play himself out of his funk before you cut the cord?

Oilerrick is right on, just look at save %. Salo is sucking big time this year. It's time to ride Conklin if we want to see the playoffs...because if Salo keeps playing, the Oilers miss the playoffs, and then not only are you out the 4M in salary, you also don't get a playoff gate.

Salo should be the backup from here on in.

Old
12-24-2003, 08:01 PM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by creative giant
After defending Salo, I'm now gonna say that if I was an owner, I'd be more peeved if my team kept losing because the guy who was getting paid to do a job couldn't get it done, but he kept playing because he's being paid too much to sit.

re the personal problem thing: the Calgary broadcasters last night made a big point of saying that they weren't going to say what was going on, but that they understood Salo was having issues. First I've heard of it myself.

Old
12-24-2003, 08:09 PM
tommyb

Quote:
I have only recently heard about the personal problems. Does what know what are the nature of these problems.

Old
12-24-2003, 08:55 PM
Allan

There were vague rumours here about marriage issues, but I don't think it would be fair to speculate further. If he wants us to know, he'll announce it.

Old
12-24-2003, 10:33 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
Oilerrick is right on, just look at save %. Salo is sucking big time this year. It's time to ride Conklin if we want to see the playoffs...because if Salo keeps playing, the Oilers miss the playoffs, and then not only are you out the 4M in salary, you also don't get a playoff gate.

Salo should be the backup from here on in.
The problem is that Conklin hasn't been playing stellar of late either.. almost anyone here will accept the fact that the Oilers need Tommy to return to form to make the playoffs. Conks looked great for a couple weeks there but he has definitely returned to ground level.. he has let in a lot of weak goals in his last few games (check out the goals in the Vancouver game). While Salo has definitely not been close to stellar, he looked decent last night in Calgary and I personally feel we need to keep playing him till he hopefully gets it back.. we might miss the playoffs that way but I don't believe we will make them anyway if we rely solely on Conklin in net.

Old
12-25-2003, 06:57 AM
Silver

Decent in Calgary? I'm really not trying to be rude (after all, it is Christmas morning ), but were we watching the same game? He got lucky about 6 times, Calgary should have had more than 2 goals. Conklin's had a couple of weak games, Salo has played weak every game he's been in net this year.

Can you think of one instance this entire season where Salo outplayed the opposition goalie? Save % is the big stat, it doesn't matter what the reason is, .920 beats .867 any day of the week.

Old
12-25-2003, 07:52 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

i wont bother posting a link and i especially dont want to speculate what salos personal problems are. my point is, the way he is playing shows a complete lack of confidence which is not helping this team at all. i again reiterate he is not the only reason why this team sucks, however his stats prove the oilers are paying bigtime right now for poor goaltending. all in all it is a bad year to be an oilers fan, things are going rapidly downhill for this team.

Closed Thread