HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Detrioit scouting Lang again, proposals?

Closed Thread

Old
12-20-2003, 03:54 AM
EroCaps

vCash: 500
Detroit scouting Lang again, proposals?

Lang, Witt *

Grigorenko, Fischer, 1st*

Old
12-20-2003, 04:18 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps
Lang, Witt *

Grigorenko? Coma...Leg broken above and below his knee from a car accident? That Grigorenko? They seemed to be very speculative that he would even be able to play hockey again.

Witt is one of the Caps 2 established NHL defensemen. Trading him is not an option. The Caps are looking to add a defenseman, not exchange them.

try again.

Old
12-20-2003, 05:34 AM
wasting time

Washington is playing well right now under Hanlon and are looking very strong doing with without Witt, Jagr and Nilander in the roster. If I were MacPhee/Leonsis, I would hold off fire sales for now with Atlanta and Tampa slumping, that's for sure.

Lang looks awesome this year.

Old
12-20-2003, 05:45 AM
wasting time

if they had to dump salary. Look for Kolzig. Oullett makes this possible

Old
12-20-2003, 05:47 AM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps
Lang, Witt *

there is absolutely no way ur getting fischer away from detroit, face it..

so this doesnt work

Old
12-20-2003, 06:13 AM
PigPen

All this does is get rid of a steady defenseman from Detroit for Aaron Ward lite that takes stupid penalties.
Detroit does not need Lang. We have more than enough scoring. All getting him would mean is less ice time for guys like Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Draper and I can guarentee you that Lang wouldn't score at a point per game pace at how much ice Detroit would give him.

Not worth the first or Grigs.

And btw, Grigorenko is making a speedy recovery. He'll be back on the ice some time around february or march. He was expected back by January but he overestimated how well he had recovered.

Old
12-20-2003, 06:20 AM
Kukla

One question, how do you know the Wings are scouting Lang?

Old
12-20-2003, 06:27 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasting time
if they had to dump salary. Look for Kolzig. Oullett makes this possible
That's jumping to a quick conclusion based on two games. Ouellet's shut out of atlanta was nice, but tempered by the fact that the thrashers have been shutout 3 games in a row.

Old
12-20-2003, 07:13 AM
Marshall
Too right, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkwjr
One question, how do you know the Wings are scouting Lang?

The Washington Post mentioned it in their write-up of the Toronto game:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2003Dec19.html

7th paragraph.

Old
12-20-2003, 07:40 AM
wasting time

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd
That's jumping to a quick conclusion based on two games. Ouellet's shut out of atlanta was nice, but tempered by the fact that the thrashers have been shutout 3 games in a row.
Sure, but if you have to dump salary it is going to hurt no matter where it is. Kolzig has not been playing that well and a new enviornment would likely bring his game back. Jagr will get you nothing in return and you'll have to eat a ton of salary. Lang is primo value.

If were to trade Lang I would expect Datsuk in return.

Old
12-20-2003, 07:45 AM
Mothra

Quote:

If were to trade Lang I would expect Datsuk in return.

You better get ready to duck......

Old
12-20-2003, 07:56 AM
wasting time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra
Hey, Detroit can toss up any crappy proposal they want for Lang. But why the hell would MacPhee trade him right now unless he got something of real value in return. Washington could very easily make the playoffs this year, and Lang is a key component of that.

Old
12-20-2003, 07:57 AM
X8oD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra
hell if you think you are going to trade a guy making 5 mil a season for the next 3, and expect ANTYHING of value back, yer nuts.

The wings would hang up the phone if you are expecting Fischer and Grigorenko and a pick back... And then now you want Datsyuk?

I dont care how hot the guy is... Bottom line is the only reason Washington trades him is because of a Salary Dump... And when that is the soul reason to trade him, your options are limited to what ever castoff on what ever team who is willing to take the contract.

Old
12-20-2003, 08:00 AM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by X8oD
I dont care how hot the guy is... Bottom line is the only reason Washington trades him is because of a Salary Dump... And when that is the soul reason to trade him, your options are limited to what ever castoff on what ever team who is willing to take the contract.
There are glaring exceptions to this "rule" You just need to be patient and play your cards right, if you can afford that of course.

Old
12-20-2003, 08:03 AM
wasting time

Quote:
hell if you think you are going to trade a guy making 5 mil a season for the next 3, and expect ANTYHING of value back, yer nuts.

The wings would hang up the phone if you are expecting Fischer and Grigorenko and a pick back... And then now you want Datsyuk?

Washington has a $30 million payroll - below league averge. This means that they can go into the new CBA very healthy.

Lang's contract is a little on the high side, but just barely considering his performance. They have no reason to unload him.

If Detroit was scouting Jagr and his $11 million then we have something to talk about. But that did not happen yesterday.

Maybe they were scouting Bates Battaglia? They could have been scouting any 1 of 23 guys - and like they are going to tell the press who it is

Old
12-20-2003, 08:21 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

What can Motown give up for Lang

Seems like the Wings are very interested in the league's leading scorer. What would Motown offer for Lang?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2003Dec19.html

"Lang, who was watched by scouts from Detroit last night for at least the seventh time this season and third time in a week"

Old
12-20-2003, 08:22 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Sorry

Just saw someone posted something simlar.

Old
12-20-2003, 08:29 AM
txpd

they could have been scouting toronto for all we know. we do know a couple of things are not always admitted to when it comes to trade proposals involving the capitals.

many posts you the phase, "have to dump salary" or something resembling that remark. The Capitals don't have to do anything.
there is no gun to their head, except that of the new CBA. after the recently governors meetings the capitals seem to have a fresh attitude about those high dollar players. w

why that is, i don't know, but i know what i hear them saying now and its not the same as before. that comes at the same time as jagr saying he wants to stay.

the line waiting for the caps to trade off Lang, Bondra, Kolzig, and Gonchar in some fire sale for so much useless baggage is just not going to happen.

There are also many that view the Capitals as little more than the Pens and the Jackets with a wasted payroll. That they are just another last place team. realistically, the Capitals are a solid defenseman or two away from being a dangerous playoff team. They only need their top players to play like top players and to get outstanding goaltending til they can get one more defenseman.

That scenario would be easy to imagine....say, the Caps traded Nylander for a solid defenseman in the last year of his contract. choose who that might be from the record number of players in that catagory.
Calle Johansson comes out of retirement as expected in January and the defense looks like this....
Gonchar-Eminger
Witt - Johansson
Doig-Kwiatkowski

a team with a good goaltending and a big time power play could get along fine with that. why dump an entire team for the want of a player or two.?

Old
12-20-2003, 08:30 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Lol please amuse me more

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigPen
All this does is get rid of a steady defenseman from Detroit for Aaron Ward lite that takes stupid penalties.
Detroit does not need Lang. We have more than enough scoring. All getting him would mean is less ice time for guys like Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Draper and I can guarentee you that Lang wouldn't score at a point per game pace at how much ice Detroit would give him.

Not worth the first or Grigs.

And btw, Grigorenko is making a speedy recovery. He'll be back on the ice some time around february or march. He was expected back by January but he overestimated how well he had recovered.
Please tell me you're not calling Witt, Aaron Ward lite. He rarely takes stupid penalties. I'll cut you some slack since it's obvious you've never seen the guy play a friggen game with those bush league remarks.

Do you really think Detroit would expect Lang to score at a point per game pace? I believe there would be some ice time opened by Lang going to Detriot because a forward would likely be coming back to DC. Maybe Zetterberg. Jagr's line could use a left wing.

Old
12-20-2003, 08:39 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

wake up

Quote:

Leonsis and Mcphee would only trade Lang to IMPROVE the team. IMPROVE not SALARY DUMP. He's a bargain at $5 mill per season and leading the league in scoring. He's not just hot. Hot happens over 10 games, not 33 games. He's making the jump into the all star category. Must be a late bloomer. I wouldn't expect Pavel D, although I would love to have him.

I'm thinking:

Zetterberg and Dandenault

for:

Lang and a 2nd.

Old
12-20-2003, 08:43 AM
Vincent Vega
GGTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon

Zetterberg and Dandenault

for:

Lang and a 2nd.
No chance in hell. Change Zetterberg with Hudler and take out the 2nd.

Old
12-20-2003, 08:43 AM
Marshall
Too right, man.

The Caps' payroll is around $50 million.

"Lang, who was watched by scouts from Detroit last night for at least the seventh time this season and third time in a week, "

That seems pretty specific that the Detroit scouts were looking at Lang. (Quote from the Post article referenced earleir).

The Caps have made a strange kind of reversal in the press recently, with Leonsis saying they were looking to add a defenseman, and that they won't make flat-out salary dumps (though I'm sure that they wouldn't mind lowering payroll at all). I see Nylander as being trade-bait, but I'm not sure how attractive he is to the rest of the league.

The Caps seem to be expecting decent value back on their trades, which is probably some of the reason that most of the mentioned players in trade rumors still suit up for the Caps.

Old
12-20-2003, 08:45 AM
Marshall
Too right, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash61
No chance in hell. Change Zetterberg with Hudler and take out the 2nd.
Caps don't do that deal, either.

Old
12-20-2003, 08:48 AM
guinness
those were the days

With the way Zetterberg (since coming back from his injury) and Datsyuk have been playing, Detroit doesn't need Lang. A Lang for Dats trade would be a wash anyhow and Dats makes less than Lang too, not to mention younger, and with how old this Wings team is, they don't need more vets.

Old
12-20-2003, 08:53 AM
Mothra

Quote:
Hey, Detroit can toss up any crappy proposal they want for Lang. But why the hell would MacPhee trade him right now unless he got something of real value in return. Washington could very easily make the playoffs this year, and Lang is a key component of that.

I agree......the trade you mentioned is one I would not hesitate to do from a Caps perspective.....its the Wings fans that are gonna throw things at you...not me

Closed Thread