HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Peter Bondra curve

Old
12-12-2012, 10:42 AM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

vCash: 500
Peter Bondra curve

Hey guys,

So i've looked on several websites but I need some quality help on what to do. I'm trying to imitate Peter Bondra's curve.

This is the stick i'm buying as it's cheap and has retro Caps colors. It's pretty durable too, so I think I can torch the blade without it breaking or being too undurable.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/sherwood...9950ic-sr.html

I'm just wondering if I should actually modify the curve or do you guys think it could drastically affect the durability? If the stick lasts several months i'll take it. Thanks guys.

I Am Score* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 11:29 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

That stick is composite so it won't work, the blade will just break. It's also not a very good stick, even for the money. Much better sticks on clearance for not much more.

You can try to curve a wood blade but most wood blades on the market will go soft after heating and curving them. A better bet is to contact a company (like Eleven Hockey) that does custom wood blades in any curve you want.

What is the Bondra curve?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 11:32 AM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Thanks yeah i've never curved a composite before and wasn't sure. I was thinking of using a two piece combo because I just love the idea of this curve.

Curve type=mid
depth=deep
face angle=slightly open
lie=6
blade length=long

Some say the toe is square or round, frankly I have no idea. Still doing my research. The closest I found to this curve was Iginla while in the Bauer line the closest curve is Eberle or Seguin.

EDIT: http://www.hockeystopohio.com/curves/curvechart.htm Has some cool curves

http://www.hockeystopohio.com/curves/SHEcurves.jpg Bondra curve top left.

Also, it is a square toe I just found out.

Old
12-12-2012, 11:38 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

How different is it from the Coffey?

Here's a place that sells some different composite curves. I've used them a lot, a little heavy but durable.

Old
12-12-2012, 11:41 AM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Apparently the Coffey curve is more flat from what i've heard and is strictly used for defenseman.

Also, I think the Bondra curve is a tad bit longer. I tried finding a wooden blade, which they used to sell in the Bondra curve, but can't find it.

I'll give them a call and see if they do custom or what is the closest bet.

And yeah I only liked the colors of the Sherwood 9950 IC. I usually stick away from Sherwood but it is Caps retro to the max and apparently is pretty sturdy.

Most people say the blade is stiff and the flex is 95, it still won't curve in your opinion?

Thanks again for your help man.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:05 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

That's a common misconception, but the curve names (and the positions the guys played) don't have anything to do with the curve itself.

The Coffey curve is a big mid hook, slightly open, with a kind of squared toe and a 6 lie. I think it'd be as close as you could get to what you described.

Stick flex is how stiff the shaft is, not the blade. Any composite blade will get weakened by bending it and break down quickly.

Check out the hockey stick buying guide, there's some good advice in there.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:40 PM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

vCash: 50
Check out a warrior Kovalchuck curve. It sounds very similar.

superhakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 12:44 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
That's a common misconception, but the curve names (and the positions the guys played) don't have anything to do with the curve itself.

The Coffey curve is a big mid hook, slightly open, with a kind of squared toe and a 6 lie. I think it'd be as close as you could get to what you described.

Stick flex is how stiff the shaft is, not the blade. Any composite blade will get weakened by bending it and break down quickly.

Check out the hockey stick buying guide, there's some good advice in there.
Thanks man

I know the stick flex is how the shaft and not the blade. I just meant that it's quite stiff and some people say the puck doesn't come off it well haha.

I might try the sites you linked. I'm considering getting a two-piece since I can customize it better. I'll think about it

Thanks again