HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Game Thread: Rangers-Kings

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2003, 10:28 AM
nyr5186

vCash: 500
Official Game Thread: Rangers-Kings

Ok, so Kaspar and Carter are likely out. Hopefully Jussi gets the start. Sather hinted in one of the papers that he might move Kovalev off Holik's wing. I'd go with this...

Simon-Lindros-Kovalev
Rucinsky-Holik-Barnaby
Hlavac-Nedved-Ortmeyer
Rheume-Messier-LaCouture

Leetch-Malakhov
deVries-Bouchard
Mironov-Poti

Markannen

Heave ho, two in a row!

Old
12-30-2003, 11:11 AM
rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr4life5186
Heave ho, two in a row!
When was the last time we won 2 games in 2 nights? Hmm... I really don`t know! Anyways, best of luck to the boys in LA!

Old
12-30-2003, 11:57 AM
BLACKBURN

I havent got great hopes for tonight, but hey this is rangerland, anything can happen. In the word of hundreds of people, hockeys different here

I predict 5 - 3 RAGS

Lindros, Rucinsky, Malanob, Messier, 4th liner

Old
12-30-2003, 12:03 PM
Pearl Necklace

Game Preview for NY Rangers vs LA Kings

The Kings look to extend their home unbeaten streak to eight games tonight, coming off a 4-4 tie with the San Jose Sharks on Saturday, improving to 4-0-3 over their last seven home matches.

Sean Avery scored the tying goal at 8:15 of the third period, and Jozef Stumpel tallied a goal and an assist for Los Angeles, which rebounded from a 5-0 loss in San Jose the night before.

"I think definitely a lot of (our top players) stepped up," said coach Andy Murray. "I think the (Avery) line was the energy line."

The tie also kept another streak alive for the Kings, leaving them winless in their last five games overall (0-1-4).

Last edited by Pearl Necklace: 12-30-2003 at 12:10 PM.
Old
12-30-2003, 12:55 PM
LuckyLUC20

No Cechmanek, No Miller, No Visnovsky... Huet will be in goal. The one line to look out for is the 24-25-26 line... Frolov - Belanger - Klatt... that is the only line that really hasn't changed due to the injuries.

I'm thinking this will be the Kings' lines:

Straka - Stumpel - Palffy
Frolov - Belanger - Klatt
Robitaille - Cammalleri - Tripp (<--guessing)
Chartrand - Avery - Sim

Norstrom - Corvo
Holland - Gleason
Muir - Modry

Huet

Old
12-30-2003, 02:19 PM
Barnaby

Every time we play LA I get annoyed that Norstrom isn't wearing Red, White, and blue like he should be..... oh wait we really needed 55 year old Jari Kurri

Old
12-30-2003, 02:37 PM
THEPROPHET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
Every time we play LA I get annoyed that Norstrom isn't wearing Red, White, and blue like he should be..... oh wait we really needed 55 year old Jari Kurri

thank you vary much we like him to.nice avatar potvin does suck

Old
12-30-2003, 02:56 PM
LuckyLUC20

Quote:
lol... thanks for giving us our captain... he's awesome.

Did you see his "Orr-like" goal??

It was against Phoenix this year... and as he was getting tripped in front of the net, he redirected a shot from Ziggy Palffy and it went in as he was falling down. Awesome!

Old
12-30-2003, 04:25 PM
sickboy35

Quote:

damn you neil smith and messier for that one!! didn't like ray ferraro so he whined to managment and got him traded! for a punching bag(chula) and 2 geezers who's best days were way behind them!!

Old
12-30-2003, 05:32 PM
RANGERDIEHARD

This game is so huge. Last night was an emotional win; we really have to pile up some wins and ride whatever momentum was created.

Old
12-30-2003, 05:48 PM
shmekel

Way to take the body there, Poti.
Jerk.

Old
12-30-2003, 06:12 PM
nyr5186

Palffy just made Leetch his b!tch! Luckily he hit the post.

Old
12-30-2003, 06:24 PM
nyr5186

Lindros gets a penalty for wearing a Ranger jersey. Ofcourse LA takes advantage when Orty inadvertantly deflects it in his own net.

Tough break.

Old
12-30-2003, 06:56 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPROPHET
thank you vary much we like him to.nice avatar potvin does suck
I suspect that you two are not talking about the same Potvin.

Old
12-30-2003, 07:01 PM
nyr5186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
I suspect that you two are not talking about the same Potvin.

Old
12-30-2003, 07:22 PM
NCalFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr4life5186
Lindros gets a penalty for wearing a Ranger jersey. Ofcourse LA takes advantage when Orty inadvertantly deflects it in his own net.

Tough break.

At least Sather didn't bench him in the SEcond. I was glad to see him on the pk. I feel bad for the kid but I kept thinking before that that Markonnen would have a great game but that someone (Poti) would put the puck in their own net.

Old
12-30-2003, 07:46 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Messier scores: 2-2

Messier takes a penalty.

OK, we kill one for The Geezer.

Old
12-30-2003, 08:00 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Ok, overtime city again.

Maybe Poti in OT again?

Old
12-30-2003, 08:03 PM
NCalFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor
Ok, overtime city again.

Maybe Poti in OT again?
You are a genius Poti Again and the sam play. Any one who sae that game doesn't think we have a goaltender is nuts. Markonnen kept this team in the game.

Old
12-30-2003, 08:04 PM
nyr5186

Poti!!!!!!!!

Stop Smiling! Children Are Watching!

Old
12-30-2003, 08:09 PM
TrueBlue4life

Send a message via AIM to TrueBlue4life
that was freaking awesome!!!! tom poti, lol
mark messier is my hero, lol

Old
12-30-2003, 08:14 PM
RANGERDIEHARD

I love it! Huge win for the blue shirts. Not a bad way to end 03' - 2 games above .500 and in the thick of things.

Old
12-30-2003, 08:27 PM
RangerBlue381

Send a message via AIM to RangerBlue381
Not that I'm complaining, but has Messier actually scored a goal this season when the net wasn't wide open? I'll give it to him, he does still seem to know where to be in situations like that. Definitely a great win though, and maybe a season high 3 game winning streak after thursday?

Old
12-30-2003, 09:00 PM
ddheyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBlue381
Not that I'm complaining, but has Messier actually scored a goal this season when the net wasn't wide open? I'll give it to him, he does still seem to know where to be in situations like that. Definitely a great win though, and maybe a season high 3 game winning streak after thursday?
I'm sorry, I'm just dying of laughter here .... are we upset because he scores into wide open nets? Seems to be an improvement on Chris Simon and Matthew Barnaby (although I love them both) whose stone hands easily flub two or three open nets a game on georgeous feeds by Lindros ...

I have to say, this was the most creative of the messier bashing I have ever seen ... damn that messier can't he score into an unopen net, that damn open net is too easy ,,,

P.S. > If i'm misreading your post, I apologize in advance (Its two a.m. and I'm grumpy - which is strange considering we won)

Old
12-31-2003, 04:34 AM
True Blue

Quick trade Poti NOW!!! His value will never be higher. Trade him now when people associate his name with 2 consecutive OT goals instead of hapless defense. :p
Serioulsy, while last night was a HUGE win, there are still things that are worrisome. I thought that the Rangers defensive game was simply dreadfull for the first half of the game. Time after time, Kings players were just allowed to fly past the blue line and no one would slow them down. Poti, despite his heroics, is simply contact-averse. Malacough is just putrid. How can Sather just keep dressing him, night after night? Hlavac is still doing his best invisible man impression. I don't know if there has been a more useless player since Putty left town.
Earth to Glen Sather:
1. In the modern NHL level, it is pretty hard to score PP goals unless you get traffic in front of the net (note to Glen: traffic in front of your own net does not count). Notice that other teams don't even bother with down-low coverage becuase they know that there will be no one there. Instead, all the other teams do is take away the pointmen and that is usually enough to squash whatever man advantage the Rangers have. How many times have we associated the words "Rangers Power Play" with "Zero shots on goal"? Modern hockey 101: Traffic in front of the net and quick wristers from the point. Eh...who needs modern hockey when you have Glen?
2. Changing on the fly. Come on here, Glen. Every other team does it. It's is called in-game management to get the matchup that is most beneficial. Guess line matchups were not a big concern in Banff.
3. Let's see. Let's sign the best checking center in all of hockey, but here's where we'll fool 'em all. We WON'T use said center in his usual role. Oh no. That's the real strategy here. Only make other teams think that Holik will go against their top players. Little do they know that instead of having Holik go against the top lines, Holik wil have the daunting task of shutting down other 3rd line centers

On the positive side (yes, there is one):
1. Lindros. I admit to being ignorant to the fact that he has 16 points in 16 games. I thought that he has been playing really well for the past several weeks, I did not realize that is has been for 16 games. Wether you like him or do not like him, really matters very little. However, you would have to be one of the 3 blind mice not to admit that he has been very good. No, he's not the wrecking ball he was back in Philly. But this is about as physical as we can hope for from him and his offensive play has been really good. Imagine how many points he can have if he had a real finisher with him? Not that I don't love Matty or Simon. But isn't it high time that Kovalev was tried on the wing with Lindros?
2. Nedved did not show up on the score sheet, but I thought that he played well. He backchecked and was dilligent in all 3 zones.
3. Ormeyer. Love the kid. Yeah he score as many goals for us an he has against us, but the kid just knows what he is doing out on the ice. Put it this way, if there is a candidate to be sat when both Carter and Lundmark return, he should be one of the last choices. Despit his one goal, he is contributing to the team.
4. Simon, Matty, and Rhueme. As far as I'm concerned, both Matty and Simon are worthy to bring back next year or whenever it is that hockey resumes. Both play hard and Simon has won me over. Rhueme I though is playing well as well. He deserves to be in the lineup when Carter returns. Hlavac can have that much needed rest that he deserves.
5. Markkanen. Jussi had a very good game. Put it this way, one can make a case that it should be him starting tommorrow night. Dunham will probably start, but if he flubs again, I would ride Jussi for as long as I can.
6. Begrudginly, I thought that Messier had a good night. Granted his penalty inthe opening minute was not the smartest thing in the world. But it is rahter obvious that with proper rest and when going against other teams 3rd/4th lines and 3rd defensive pairing, he is still quite usefull. However, the minute that Jackass starts to play him for 19 minutes and against other teams top lines, he is woefully exposed. Keep Mess as has been for the last 3 or 4 games.

Closed Thread