HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

gauthier gets the green helmet

Closed Thread

Old
12-24-2003, 07:11 AM
Mr Sakich

vCash: 500
gauthier gets the green helmet

it gets awarded every night to the flames player who tries the heardest. Last night, the media was all over him for his great play and hard work. Lots of quotes in todays' papers.

In a perfect world, the oilers would have had an answer to a guy who deliberately went after Chimera's knees (this after twice going after Comrie's knees in one game). It is too bad that our enforcer has this code of conduct that prevents him from protecting his teamates. In a perfect world, Gauthier would be answering those questions with his jaw wired shut.

Old
12-24-2003, 07:17 AM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
it gets awarded every night to the flames player who tries the heardest. Last night, the media was all over him for his great play and hard work. Lots of quotes in todays' papers.

In a perfect world, the oilers would have had an answer to a guy who deliberately went after Chimera's knees (this after twice going after Comrie's knees in one game). It is too bad that our enforcer has this code of conduct that prevents him from protecting his teamates. In a perfect world, Gauthier would be answering those questions with his jaw wired shut.
I hate to sound like a broken record.......but Sean Brown wouldn't stand for that crap. It woulda been settled before the end of the period.

But I guess there was a great need for BOBBY ALLEN.

Old
12-24-2003, 07:30 AM
future consideration

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
I hate to sound like a broken record.......but Sean Brown wouldn't stand for that crap. It woulda been settled before the end of the period.

Agree with the sentiment about Brown.

Didn't Smith fight Goats after he tried to hip check Stoll?

Old
12-24-2003, 07:46 AM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by future consideration

Yea he did.

Old
12-24-2003, 08:51 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri

You are pointing to Sean Brown when you should be pointing to Georges Laraque. Sean Brown sucked. He sucked consistantly, he sucked constantly. I let out an audible whoo hoo when he was traded for a return and not lost for nothing on waivers because he didn't have the talent to play in the NHL. This is further proven by the Bruins cutting him loose and the Devils sending him to the minors.

If your goal is to have someone to drop the gloves in a moments notice there are any number of bafoons you can go out and get rather than lamenting for the days of Sean Brown and his defensive gaffes.

Old
12-24-2003, 12:27 PM
Snakeeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by future consideration
Agree with the sentiment about Brown.

"Jumped from behind" more than "fought." Smith was easily your best player out there last night, but he was incredibly stupid to take himself out of the game at that point.

For whatever reason, Smith found it more necessary to attack Gauthier multiple times throughout the game than to try and generate offense. How he didnt get a penalty for either the multiple crosschecks to Gauthier's kidneys, or for the attack at the end of the 2nd is beyond me.

Also, I suggest some of you take a biology course. A man's knees arent at his waist.

Old
12-24-2003, 01:02 PM
Hemmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeeye
"Jumped from behind" more than "fought." .
You've gotta get Gauthier to fight somehow...he won't of his own accord. Good on Smith...Gauthier is a cheap-shot artist.

Old
12-24-2003, 04:05 PM
GorillazXL

Quote:
"Jumped from behind" more than "fought." Smith was easily your best player out there last night, but he was incredibly stupid to take himself out of the game at that point.

For whatever reason, Smith found it more necessary to attack Gauthier multiple times throughout the game than to try and generate offense. How he didnt get a penalty for either the multiple crosschecks to Gauthier's kidneys, or for the attack at the end of the 2nd is beyond me.

Also, I suggest some of you take a biology course. A man's knees arent at his waist.
It ws Ryan Smyth that was taking jabs a Gauthier's kidney not Smith, J Smith would have no problem with facing Gauthier, its just that Gauthier too big of a pansy to fight anyone over 6'.

GXL

Old
12-24-2003, 05:58 PM
Snakeeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmer
You've gotta get Gauthier to fight somehow...he won't of his own accord. Good on Smith...Gauthier is a cheap-shot artist.
Only to fans who prefer to think that a players knees are two feet higher than they are in reality.

And yeah, good on Smith. Nothing says "team" like having your best player taking a 17 minute penalty at a critical point of the game.

Old
12-24-2003, 06:35 PM
Hemmer

Quote:
Only to fans who prefer to think that a players knees are two feet higher than they are in reality.

And yeah, good on Smith. Nothing says "team" like having your best player taking a 17 minute penalty at a critical point of the game.
You guys were up by either one or two goals. The way we've been playing lately, it was over anyway.

Even if it wasn't, the message still has to be sent. I would NEVER begrudge what Smith did in that situation...I would encourage and expect it from everyone on the team as a matter of fact.

Old
12-24-2003, 09:51 PM
Cain

You encourage the mentality that it is not fair play to hit an oiler?

It was going to be a legit hit....gauthier even missed the hit and still got jumped.

And make no mistake, he got jumped from behind, that sure is honorable...encourage behaviour like that while condemning gauthier for doing something entirely legal. Nice oiler mentality.

I love how the oilers and other teams absolutely despise gauthier....I mean, I hate Jason Smith when he plays against us, because I think he can be quite a dirty player...but again, given the chance, I would love to have him on my team. Strange that the oilers can't say the same of gauthier...he is as much of a marchment as Smith is.

Old
12-24-2003, 09:58 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain
I love how the oilers and other teams absolutely despise gauthier....I mean, I hate Jason Smith when he plays against us, because I think he can be quite a dirty player...but again, given the chance, I would love to have him on my team. Strange that the oilers can't say the same of gauthier...he is as much of a marchment as Smith is.
I completely disagree.. Smith is definitely not a dirty player and I challenge you to find many people to agree with that assessment. He is a very intense and gritty player but in no way is he dirty.. he hits hard and often, that's all. On the other hand, Gauthier is a known commodity in the dirty hits industry.. I'm sure you remember a few of the shots he took the last couple years on Comrie. He is famous across the league for clipping knees with his "thundering hits".. you might hate Smith because he is a very tough player but I don't feel he is dirty at all!

Old
12-24-2003, 10:13 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
I completely disagree.. Smith is definitely not a dirty player and I challenge you to find many people to agree with that assessment. He is a very intense and gritty player but in no way is he dirty.. he hits hard and often, that's all. On the other hand, Gauthier is a known commodity in the dirty hits industry.. I'm sure you remember a few of the shots he took the last couple years on Comrie. He is famous across the league for clipping knees with his "thundering hits".. you might hate Smith because he is a very tough player but I don't feel he is dirty at all!
I agree with you Cerebral. Gauthier has constantly gone out with the intent to injure players on the Oilers. Gauthier hates the Oilers and his intent has always been to injure the Oilers players. In the game on December 23rd, the Oilers were lucky they didn't get injuries from illegal hits by Gauthier. Even TSN mentioned the hits were illegal. Both York and Stoll could have been injured on Gauthier's hits. We still don't know as sometimes players have finished the game and then ended up injured. Gauthier is known around the league as a dirty players and has been suspended for cheapshots.

12-24-2003, 10:15 PM
kruezer

Well, at least Smith stood up, sad that nobody else would especially with Smith playing so well. But one question, if everyone knows this about Gauthier (who against all rumours actually does try to fight this year, seriously, I think he is sick of everything this year, read what he says, he just seems completely pissed about all the losing) anyway everyone 'knows' Gauthier is supposidely cheap, how come no one fights him? I mean I hate to sound like Arankys, but nobody protects anybody else anymore the only guys that have really (seriously) tried to fight Gauthier this year (in the games I've seen) have been King for the 'Nucks and now Smith.

Old
12-24-2003, 11:01 PM
Cain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky83
I agree with you Cerebral. Gauthier has constantly gone out with the intent to injure players on the Oilers. Gauthier hates the Oilers and his intent has always been to injure the Oilers players. In the game on December 23rd, the Oilers were lucky they didn't get injuries from illegal hits by Gauthier. Even TSN mentioned the hits were illegal. Both York and Stoll could have been injured on Gauthier's hits. We still don't know as sometimes players have finished the game and then ended up injured. Gauthier is known around the league as a dirty players and has been suspended for cheapshots.
Yea, that gauthier sure is dirty, how many times has he been suspended? Not many, and I'd think that he would be suspended regularly according to you guys...

And I didn't say I thought Smith 'was' a dirty player, I said I thought he 'could be' sometimes. There is a fairly large difference...I think the same applies to Gauthier.

And I really really doubt Gauthier goes out to oiler games intending to injure players...that is quite the exaggeration.

Seriously though, look up how many times he has been suspended for his 'cheapshots'. I'd be interested to see how often considering you throw it out as part of him 'being known around the league as a dirty player'.

Gauthier does not go after players knees with his hipchecks unless you consider the knee a great deal higher than it really is....

Old
12-25-2003, 08:11 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Gauthier has injured the Oilers players many times. Even TSN has said that Gauthier is a cheapshot. Gauthier has been suspended for illegal hits. Jason Smith is not going to allow Gauthier to constantly take cheapshots at his teammates. He defended his teammates and that is not dirty. The reason no one fights Gauthier because Gauthier turtles and hides behind the officials. Stop defending that cheapshot artist Gauthier. If he were on another team, Cain, you'd be calling him a cheapshot artist, I guarantee you.

Old
12-25-2003, 08:33 AM
Lanny MacDonald*

You ladies want a tissue? Holy smokes. Gauthier is identical to Smith, and vice versa. They're both tough as nails defensemen who make some questionable hits. Neither player will be mistaken for an angel. Both player has a reputation. Both will go out of their way to goad someone into dropping their gloves and then hide behind the linesmen as the ref starts dishing out the penalties. They are both very good at that role. I would take either one of them. What's funny is that a lot of the Oiler fans here refuse to acknowledge how their own player plays the game. Then again, these are the same folks that think they are still a "talent laden squad" even though Marty Reasoner is their best pivot. Speaks volumes.

Old
12-25-2003, 08:53 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny MacDonald
You ladies want a tissue? Holy smokes. Gauthier is identical to Smith, and vice versa. They're both tough as nails defensemen who make some questionable hits. Neither player will be mistaken for an angel.
I'd like you to point out one "questionable" Smith hit where he undercuts a player and takes out his knees.. I watch every Oiler game every year and I've never seen Smith lay one out. That's not the bias speaking either..

Old
12-25-2003, 09:00 AM
Lanny MacDonald*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
I'd like you to point out one "questionable" Smith hit where he undercuts a player and takes out his knees.. I watch every Oiler game every year and I've never seen Smith lay one out. That's not the bias speaking either..
Bull. Smith hits low, Smith hits from behind, and he's one of the dirtiest SOBs in the league when it comes to stick work. The guy is a punk. I'd love to have the guy on my team!

Old
12-25-2003, 09:31 AM
Mikey 71

Lanny, you are being called on it so now you have to come up with examples of what you claim. I am not an Oiler fan or a Flame fan, but I too cannot recall Smith playing nearly as dirty a style as Gauthier does. Please give me some examples as well.

Old
12-25-2003, 09:46 AM
Lanny MacDonald*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey 71
Lanny, you are being called on it so now you have to come up with examples of what you claim. I am not an Oiler fan or a Flame fan, but I too cannot recall Smith playing nearly as dirty a style as Gauthier does. Please give me some examples as well.
Sorry, I can't think of any that stand out as being any dirtier than the next guy. I seem to remember a couple of hits I considered cheap during games between the Flames and the Oilers where Smith took runs at Savard, Clark, Iginla and Conroy. Then again, I can also say the same thing about Gauthier versus several Oilers as well. I laugh at people who piss and moan about "cheapshots" when their own players do the exact same things. Smith does not go low, primarily because he's a terrible hip checker. But he does excel at hitting from behind and using his stick. You need examples, just watch a game and keep your eyes glued on Smith. He's dirty and extremely effective. Smith plays like Daneyko used to. Gauthier plays like Stevens. Both guys are players you want on your team. I'm just shocked people try to paint their own guy as a saint and the other guy as a sinner.

Old
12-25-2003, 12:03 PM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
I've often thought Gauthier would look pretty good as an Oiler. He's not a bad skater, and he's damn good at riling guys up. In some ways I can't blame him for "hiding" (if that's what he does) - he's got a visor and he probably has to be careful to not draw instigator penalties. (If I played D, I'd likely wear a visor too.)

Old
12-25-2003, 12:28 PM
Ben Dover

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny MacDonald
Sorry, I can't think of any that stand out as being any dirtier than the next guy. I seem to remember a couple of hits I considered cheap during games between the Flames and the Oilers where Smith took runs at Savard, Clark, Iginla and Conroy. Then again, I can also say the same thing about Gauthier versus several Oilers as well. I laugh at people who piss and moan about "cheapshots" when their own players do the exact same things. Smith does not go low, primarily because he's a terrible hip checker. But he does excel at hitting from behind and using his stick. You need examples, just watch a game and keep your eyes glued on Smith. He's dirty and extremely effective. Smith plays like Daneyko used to. Gauthier plays like Stevens. Both guys are players you want on your team. I'm just shocked people try to paint their own guy as a saint and the other guy as a sinner.
Lanny, you claimed that smith was as dirty as Gauthier yet you failed to come up with one example. Here are three for Denis - last year, twice in one game he went after Comrie's knees. Both times, comrie had beaten him and he stuck out his knee to make contact. The other night, Rod Phillips and the TSN announcers called his hit on chimera "dirty". Rod Phillips was besides himself. I am sure there are more but you get the idea, gauthier is one of the last "knee hunters" left in this league. His hip checks are dirty Low-Bridge similar to what tucker did to Peca a couple of years ago. There is no place in hockey for it.

BTW, most oiler fans are not blind. When we have a dirty oiler (my most hated one was the stick artist, Glen Anderson), we aren't afraid to admit it. If Gauthier ever gets traded and goes after iggy's knees, you will understand our hatred.

Old
12-25-2003, 01:58 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
ok guys lets try and give example of these players playing dirty in non-Oilers/Flames games?

coz for me even the cleanest players can turn dirty in a heated derby which this is.

For the most part I think Gauthier is what this club needs and what most of us want Laraque to be.

Old
12-25-2003, 04:27 PM
HOZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi_sultan
ok guys lets try and give example of these players playing dirty in non-Oilers/Flames games?

coz for me even the cleanest players can turn dirty in a heated derby which this is.

For the most part I think Gauthier is what this club needs and what most of us want Laraque to be.
Got to agree. The edge these guys give a team is important.

Messier was quite liberal with his elbows. I am sure Smith doesn't hesitate to deliver some forearm shivers here and there.

When the Oilers had Marchment and Richardson opposing forwards rarely tried the homerun pass on the Oilers or skate throught he neutral zone with their heads down because they would kill the guy.

Closed Thread