Notices

Lets get Jovanovski

Closed Thread

Old
12-24-2003, 08:23 AM
Broonzfanz

vCash: 500
Lets get Jovanovski

I think Jovo would be the perfect fit for the B's. A tough dman that can play both ends of the ice and is quick enough to handle the quick forwards. I would give up Samsonov plus to get Jovo. Vancouver needs some scoring depth so maybe something can work.

Old
12-24-2003, 08:27 AM
Toronto Bruin

I doubt vancouver would move jovanovski to boston.......
It would take a lot more than sammy to do it...........
Probably something like this and Burke would think about it.

Jovanovski

Boynton, Samsonov, Murray

I think Vancouver might mull that one over, other than that, chances are very slim you'll see Jovo in a B's sweater.

TB

Old
12-24-2003, 08:34 AM
Boston Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto Bruin
I doubt vancouver would move jovanovski to boston.......
It would take a lot more than sammy to do it...........
Probably something like this and Burke would think about it.

Jovanovski

Boynton, Samsonov, Murray

I think Vancouver might mull that one over, other than that, chances are very slim you'll see Jovo in a B's sweater.

TB
Thats freaking insane. You could easily aquire Jovonovski for less than that package. Why not toss in a couple first rounders too?

Nick is a first rounder, Sammy is a Calder Winner, Murray is a 40 goal man.. Jovonovski is NOT a Prime Nick Lidstrom

Old
12-24-2003, 08:34 AM
Sleemans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broonzfanz
I think Jovo would be the perfect fit for the B's
I agree Jovo would be a "perfect fit" with the Bruins, but Burke would be hung for trading him away IMO. We should set our sights/hopes a little lower than him I'm afraid.

Old
12-24-2003, 08:39 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WE WANT LARAQUE
Thats freaking insane. You could easily aquire Jovonovski for less than that package.
No you couldn't. The Canucks have no reason to trade Jovo and every reason to keep him. Any team would have to severely overpay to get him. The Canucks aren't going to deal him for a "fair" offer...

Old
12-24-2003, 08:48 AM
Boston Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
No you couldn't. The Canucks have no reason to trade Jovo and every reason to keep him. Any team would have to severely overpay to get him. The Canucks aren't going to deal him for a "fair" offer...
I would like to see an example of a team severely overpaying for a player utilizing the same caliber of players suggested by the previous poster. If Oconnell actually did that scope of a trade, then Oconnell would be complete and utter moron.

I am thinking of defencemen of Jovonovski's caliber who were over paid for by 2 developed first round picks, one of which won a calder and a 40 goal man..

And then you can probably point out that if that trade occured, the GM was fired shortly after and mocked into the Utah Community Hockey League

Old
12-24-2003, 08:56 AM
Boston Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by WE WANT LARAQUE
I would like to see an example of a team severely overpaying for a player utilizing the same caliber of players suggested by the previous poster. If Oconnell actually did that scope of a trade, then Oconnell would be complete and utter moron.

I am thinking of defencemen of Jovonovski's caliber who were over paid for by 2 developed first round picks, one of which won a calder and a 40 goal man..

And then you can probably point out that if that trade occured, the GM was fired shortly after and mocked into the Utah Community Hockey League

After realizing that I wasnt reading and just contorting..

I would agree that Jovonoski would cost alot - infact, so much so that you should probably consider trading Joe Thornton.. OUR value for Jovonoski should not be as great as Vancouvers value however.. And I would still think OC should be slapped for doing such a silly trade.

Which is also, neither here nor there.. My bad. Merry Xmas

Old
12-24-2003, 09:23 AM
Mizral

Heh, Jovo is signed long term and is still pretty young at 27 years of age. As I'm sure most of you realize, it'd cost a HECK of a lot to get him. Samsonov, Murray, Boynton is an overpayment, but I can't see the Canucks wanting all that much less. I don't think Sammy and Boynton would do it for Burke, put it that way.

That said, I think there are 'mini-Jovanovski's' out there that would be easier to get.

Brooks Orpik I think will be a heck of a lot similar to Jovo, but not as much offense.

Mike Van Ryn has some elements of Jovo's game.. not all, but he's a useful player.

Brad Stuart is still highly expensive, but he is cheaper than Jovanovski. Maybe throw Samsonov for Stuart and see if Wilson would be interested?

Old
12-24-2003, 10:25 AM
Toronto Bruin

WWL,

I know that it seems like a lot to pay.......but how many Jovo's are out there?

You can count them on one hand.

Murray is an UFA, Boynton is a good young defenceman, and Samsonov is certainly an entertaining player....BUT Jovanovski is a top-5 defenceman in the NHL, and probably the youngest of that 5.....also, he is the #1 D on a team that hopes to contend.........

There are a lot more Samsonov's then there are Jovanovski's........

My guess is Burke would only do this trade if he thought that Vancouver would have a GREAT shot at the cup..........otherwise he passes......even though it looks lopsided on paper.

TB

Old
12-24-2003, 10:57 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
My guess is Burke would only do this trade if he thought that Vancouver would have a GREAT shot at the cup..........otherwise he passes......even though it looks lopsided on paper.

TB
The problem with that philosophy is that Jovo will be a big factor in whether the Canucks are able to win a cup or not. He is a huge big game performer, evidenced by his 7 goals in last years playoffs. That would be a hard package to turn down, but I strongly believe that Burke will not trade Jovo, unless a team offered a similar d-man plus other assets. Jovo is a rare breed, the Canucks have signed him to a long term contract, I doubt they'll let that go.

Old
12-24-2003, 02:51 PM
The Pucks

If you want Jovo, you may as well ask for Ohlund, Naslund, Bert, Cloutier and Morrison at the same time. They are a very tight bunch, and that is why all of them with the exception of Morrison have signed long term reasonable contracts.

Burke will not break up that core unless something substancial happend to the team. You have to realize that the Vancouver market is as hockey mad as any market in the world, and if Burke were to deal any of the core, he knows he may have to leave town.

Its a case of the whole being worth more than the parts.

Old
12-24-2003, 08:46 PM
Corey

Quote:
WWL,

I know that it seems like a lot to pay.......but how many Jovo's are out there?

You can count them on one hand.

Murray is an UFA, Boynton is a good young defenceman, and Samsonov is certainly an entertaining player....BUT Jovanovski is a top-5 defenceman in the NHL, and probably the youngest of that 5.....also, he is the #1 D on a team that hopes to contend.........

There are a lot more Samsonov's then there are Jovanovski's........

TB
That trade would actually lessen Vancouver's cup chances.

Old
12-24-2003, 09:55 PM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey
That trade would actually lessen Vancouver's cup chances.
Yeah..sure. They will get 2 legit goal scorers and at least will be 2 line team.... When did 1 line team win anything?

Not that I want to trade Samsonov and Boynton! (They are building blocks of the B's)

Old
12-25-2003, 07:55 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
Yeah..sure. They will get 2 legit goal scorers and at least will be 2 line team.... When did 1 line team win anything?
They are not a one line team, they do have one very good line though.

Old
12-25-2003, 10:20 AM
BeantownBilly

Quote:
They are not a one line team, they do have one very good line though.

You are right they are not a one line team, they are a six player team......If they were to lose ANY one of the big six (Naslund, Morrison, Bert, Jovo,Ohlund, Clouts) for a substantial amount of time, playoff success will be limited once again.......

Old
12-25-2003, 11:31 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownBilly
You are right they are not a one line team, they are a six player team......If they were to lose ANY one of the big six (Naslund, Morrison, Bert, Jovo,Ohlund, Clouts) for a substantial amount of time, playoff success will be limited once again.......
Linden, Cooke, Sopel and Salo are also key factors in the team's success. Henrik and Daniel Sedin as well as Jason King were also key factors in the teams success early in the season, but have cooled off recently. The Canucks are not a one line team, they are not a 6 player team. They get scoring from all 4 lines and their defensive core. That is not a one line team.

Old
12-25-2003, 12:26 PM
BeantownBilly

Quote:
Linden, Cooke, Sopel and Salo are also key factors in the team's success. Henrik and Daniel Sedin as well as Jason King were also key factors in the teams success early in the season, but have cooled off recently. The Canucks are not a one line team, they are not a 6 player team. They get scoring from all 4 lines and their defensive core. That is not a one line team.

I guess we'll have to continue this when/if one of the "big six" gets hit with an injury......

Old
12-25-2003, 02:57 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownBilly
I guess we'll have to continue this when/if one of the "big six" gets hit with an injury......
Jovo, Ohlund, and Cloutier were all out of the line-up for a significant ammount of time last season. The Canucks finished with their best record ever.

Closed Thread