HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Messier not interested in assistant GM job at the moment...

Old
05-31-2007, 08:34 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Believe Me View Post
This man brought the cup back to NYC and only with this man In front office will we ever see a cup again.
What exactly are you basing this on? Where has Messier excelled in a front office position? For that matter, where has Messier even been in a front office?

Quote:
Reading some of you guys post is just ridiculous. Everyone is calling Messier arrogant and cocky...HE'S MARK "THE MESSIAH" MESSIER, as far as im concerned he's a GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Your passion for the man is admirable. But it's also clouding your judgement.

Mess is a legendary player and a legendary Ranger. That said, 1994 was 13 years ago. At what point do you stop paying for that Cup? Again, what he accomplished as a player is irrelevant to being a good GM.

I'll always thank him for bringing the Cup to NY. But that hardly gives him the right to write his own ticket in this franchise.

Quote:
Are you serious? WOWWW, i cant believe im such a diehard amongst some of the most stupidest fans ive ever encountered rooting for a sports team.
As a rule of thumb, disagreeing with your opinion does not make someone stupid.

05-31-2007, 08:37 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Messier had more than "one good year".

But I do agree that what he did in 1994 is pretty much irrelevant now when looking at the future of this team's front office. Being a great player does not by any means mean he will be even a good GM.
Doesn't automatically mean he'll be a bad one either.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 08:37 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

First, Messiers career as a player should have nothing to do with the decision of GM or assistant GM so i don't know why some are bringing that up. Other than the fact that he did play (everyone knows his resume) and has a ton of hockey experience.

Second, why would Mess cancel a golf outing with Sather this weekend? Because he doesnt want the speculation that hes gunning for the assistant GM role. Sounds to me like hes got a big decision to even consider going after that job. That means hes way off and i think its smart not to put him in that role, even if he comes to the decision he wants it. If he really wanted that job he would have hit the links with Slats, putting himself in a better position to land it...

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 10:50 AM
philbo

I truly don't get this panic in some of you. If anything Mess is being considered for the Assistant GM position. Slats has publicly said that Mess would need seasoning and mentoring so he's not going to hand him the keys to the orginization as soon as they get his name on the door.

None of us knows how large or little a role Donnie played in recent years, was it a smaller than most people here think and that's why he left ( he wants more control ) ???? Or did he get offended w/ Mess's designs toward the GM job and Sather's public non support of Donnie????

Who knows, the point is the Ass't GM position is an important one, but it's also a position in which you have a safety net ( Scouts, Dir. of player personnel, Coaches, Head Coach, GM, VP, Owner) I think it's foolish to think that if Mess gets this job he'll wreck the re-build or destroy all the positives that's been occuruing here in the past 2 years, and go back to bringing in FA after FA, that can't be done in a cap governed sport anyway.

I personally would think Shoney's a better fit right now, and also I'd hate to lose him to another club if they offer something better than we do, but maybe Shoney's a man of modest ambition or he's patient (he already turned Slats down to be the H.C a few years back, maybe he likes where he is and what he's doing) If that's the case hiring Mess as the Ass't GM is fine by me.

1) Mess was by far the best captain the sport has ever known, which shows he knows how to be a leader.
2) He brought us a championship when most fans thought we never could attain that, which shows he brings in results.
3) He's been in the NHL for 23 years, which means he has friendsips and close associations all over the league.
4) Has had one of the most illustrious careers of all-time, he's a legend, plenty of other great players are doing the same thing. Al Macnins, Luc Robitlle, Guy Carbonneau, Steve Yzerman, TGO, Mario,

He gets a pass, a decade ago the man could do no wrong, get off his back already!

philbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 10:59 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Sather was an ex-Ranger
Maloney was an ex-Ranger
Messier was an ex-Ranger

I don't see why it's such a huge deal. Sure he has no experience but that's why he's assistant GM and not GM.

Old
05-31-2007, 11:05 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
As a rule of thumb, disagreeing with your opinion does not make someone stupid.
Especially when it comes from someone who puts MOST STUPIDEST together.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 11:29 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrprucha View Post
mayb not the cup, i would hired some1 else, a veteran assistent gm, not a 2 year old retired player... i think messier should go gm a minor team, like patrick roy... good carear choice...
Mark is 2 years old and retired already? That's the life I want..

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 12:00 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post

Old
05-31-2007, 12:41 PM
blue2noise

Playing experience or not, let's face it Mess is not exactly a rocket scientist. I'd rather give the slot to Gravy because he is a bright guy. Mess, not so much.

great player, but a bit of a dolt.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 12:59 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
oh, hi there paris hilton, whats up.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 01:01 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
Playing experience or not, let's face it Mess is not exactly a rocket scientist. I'd rather give the slot to Gravy because he is a bright guy. Mess, not so much.

great player, but a bit of a dolt.
i agree with this. if we were talking about Mike Richter, that would be a totally different thing. That guy is a smart, smart, smart man, despite his head injuries lol.

Mark has always come of, at least to me, as a not so bright, forceful personality, kind of like....well....a REALLY REALLY important political person we all know. anyways, thats the kind of guy youd want to execute orders for you, not give them out.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 01:03 PM
philbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
oh, hi there paris hilton, whats up.

my time as a free skank...er...um...woman.

philbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 03:24 PM
Pizza

These most recent comments from Mess would seem to contradict those he made a few months ago. His sense of urgency seems to have mellowed for the time being.

The on going intrigue inside the Rangers organization is amusing IMO.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 05:47 PM
shoothepuck

While some people could jump into a job and hit the ground running, I think even he knows that he needs to gain experience first. Let him do some scouting, assistant coaching in the minors, and other related things for a season or two, before he goes to any front office.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 06:13 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

If Messier wants the job it should be his....

Lets face reality...Messier would probably be Dolans choice to replace Sather if Sather retired with or without being the assistant GM...

I'd rather Messier take the Assistant GM job and get the experiance he is going to need to replace Sather...

You can't tell me that Messier doesn't have a head for the game...Doesn't know what a good player is...Doesn't know what a good teammate is...This is a guy that's been around a pro rink (in a quasi managment postion for most of the time) for close to 30 years.....

I don't think Messier is the best choice but he isn't the worst choice...But in the world we live in it makes sense for Messier to get the experiance now for the job he is surely going to be offered later...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote