HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lecalvier + Drury/Gomez/Briere ????

Old
05-31-2007, 10:22 AM
tytech

vCash: 500
Lecalvier + Drury/Gomez/Briere ????

http://www.spectorshockey.net/rumors.html

"I listened to WIP Sports Radio, Glen Macnow said that the latest rumor out there was that the Flyers will entertain offers for their second overall draft pick and the rumor has it that they would make a swap of a player and the second pick for Vinny Lecavalier. At the same turn, still shooting to sign a free agent like Drury, Gomez or Briere".

tytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 10:31 AM
Jester

from a cap perspective, that doesn't make a ton of sense in the long-run. Vinny is going to command close to max salary most likely, and none of those other players are going to come cheap... i also would be shocked to see them trade Vinny just because they've built that team around him so much it would be a major hit marketing wise.

Richards makes more sense, but there's a time-limit on that happening.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 10:47 AM
Stephen

Isn't Lecavalier going to be a UFA next season? You'll need to pony up in the trade and then really pony up for an extension. Given where your organization now, does it really make sense to have a star in the prime of his career when all the kids are still a few years off? I'd go for the free agent route (nothing lost) and slightly cheaper options in Gomez, Briere or Drury.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 10:50 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Isn't Lecavalier going to be a UFA next season? You'll need to pony up in the trade and then really pony up for an extension. Given where your organization now, does it really make sense to have a star in the prime of his career when all the kids are still a few years off? I'd go for the free agent route (nothing lost) and slightly cheaper options in Gomez, Briere or Drury.
it's not as if Vinny is exactly going to be out of his prime by the time this team hits its stride with all the youth... he's only 27. lets say it were to take 3 years for everyone to start finding themselves, he's still only 30.

i'm unclear on how many years he has left, but you'll be paying whenever that comes around for sure... i don't expect Vinny to go anywhere unless they have to down there.

Old
05-31-2007, 11:16 AM
Icedog2735

the new york post had a story a few days ago that the lightning were indeed shopping around richards. it is more likely we would go after/get him with our 2nd pick and then go after gomez/briere/drury and a top D-man like timmonen ... all of those additions would be very welcome by me

Icedog2735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 11:16 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
it's not as if Vinny is exactly going to be out of his prime by the time this team hits its stride with all the youth... he's only 27. lets say it were to take 3 years for everyone to start finding themselves, he's still only 30.

i'm unclear on how many years he has left, but you'll be paying whenever that comes around for sure... i don't expect Vinny to go anywhere unless they have to down there.
I know he won't be old, old, but it just seems like a bit of a waste to have a 100 point scorer at max salary on a young team that's going to be full of rookies, with no defense to speak of. I'm sure he'd provide leadership and such, but depending on his extension, he'll either be close to another extension by the time the Flyers hit their stride again. Also, a trade involving the 2nd pick, maybe Carter, Giroux or Richards or Pitkanen or whatever's going to set the Flyers rebuild back a bit too. Also, I'd hate to see my favorite player in Philly..

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 11:35 AM
NJFlyer42

For what it's worth, last week Jay Feaster was on XM radio and said that he'd just met with ownership and thought they'd be able to keep their big 3 intact (Vinny, St. Louis, Richards).

NJFlyer42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 11:40 AM
phlacheesesteak

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJFlyer42 View Post
For what it's worth, last week Jay Feaster was on XM radio and said that he'd just met with ownership and thought they'd be able to keep their big 3 intact (Vinny, St. Louis, Richards).
i dont believe a word that comes out of that marshmellow mans mouth.

phlacheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 12:01 PM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlacheesesteak View Post
There were press reports last week that their payroll at least stays at 44 million and that it possibly rises if the team performs well.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 12:04 PM
NJFlyer42

Quote:
I hear ya! Just passing along what I heard.

Old
05-31-2007, 12:16 PM
tytech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icedog2735 View Post
the new york post had a story a few days ago that the lightning were indeed shopping around richards. it is more likely we would go after/get him with our 2nd pick and then go after gomez/briere/drury and a top D-man like timmonen ... all of those additions would be very welcome by me
Richards is the most overrated player in the league.

Old
05-31-2007, 12:26 PM
phlacheesesteak

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJFlyer42 View Post
I hear ya! Just passing along what I heard.
haha i know..

i just dont like that guy.

I met him for a second when he brought the cup to hershey, PA. i went to go see it, Feaster was taking pictures along side of people who came to see the cup.. i of course was wearing Flyers gear all over.. and when each person got to the front of the line someone asked if you wanted Jay in the picture with you and the cup. Just about everyone did, except for me. When it was my turn, i of course told Feaster I didnt want him in my picture, and in an attempt to poke fun, in a really lound voice so everyone could hear he says, " OH, Of course the Flyers fan doesnt want a picture with me."

me, being the nice guy i am just leaned over to him and said, "your smarter than u look, its nice to meet you. "

he took it in good humor, and so did i, so i got my picture taken, shook hands with him and left. that was my only encounter with him...but, i still am not a fan of the guy at all. just from evaluating the moves he makes and seeing the way he goes about things. Im glad hes not GM of the Flyers..thats for sure.

phlacheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 12:36 PM
Jester

Quote:
haha i know..

I met him for a second when he brought the cup to hershey, PA. i went to go see it, Feaster was taking pictures along side of people who came to see the cup.. i of course was wearing Flyers gear all over.. and when each person got to the front of the line someone asked if you wanted Jay in the picture with you and the cup. Just about everyone did, except for me. When it was my turn, i of course told Feaster I didnt want him in my picture, and in an attempt to poke fun, in a really lound voice so everyone could hear he says, " OH, Of course the Flyers fan doesnt want a picture with me."

me, being the nice guy i am just leaned over to him and said, "your smarter than u look, its nice to meet you. "

he took it in good humor, and so did i, so i got my picture taken, shook hands with him and left. that was my only encounter with him...but, i still am not a fan of the guy at all. just from evaluating the moves he makes and seeing the way he goes about things. Im glad hes not GM of the Flyers..thats for sure.
he's a dumba** that stumbled into a cup and it's justifying everything he's done down there... i'm sure he's a nice guy, i assume most of those folks are, but his decision-making is rather remarkable if you look at it on the whole.

Old
05-31-2007, 12:53 PM
NJFlyer42

Quote:
haha i know..

I totally agree. He's on XM quite a bit and he just loves to talk and talk about what a great job they're doing down there. Nice move brining in Denis, his fat contract and his 3+GAA and sub .900 save Pct. for Modin and Norreana. Maybe he will trade Vinny to us (and no, not Prospal!).

Old
05-31-2007, 12:56 PM
Dykhuis26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
from a cap perspective, that doesn't make a ton of sense in the long-run. Vinny is going to command close to max salary most likely, and none of those other players are going to come cheap... i also would be shocked to see them trade Vinny just because they've built that team around him so much it would be a major hit marketing wise.

Richards makes more sense, but there's a time-limit on that happening.
Not sure if the rumor meant we wanted to get Vinny AND sign a center. Then we'd be in the same boat as the Lightning were.
Just makes sense that we pursue Vinny/Richards while at the same time trying to sign a #1 center cause in this league, you can't just sit on your hands, hope a deal goes through, and go to plan B if it doesn't work out. All the top free agents will have signed by then.

Dykhuis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 01:26 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Tampa Bay is going to trade a 50 goal scorer in his prime for a draft pick. Brilliant.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 01:32 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Tampa Bay is going to trade a 50 goal scorer in his prime for a draft pick. Brilliant.
which is why any thought of acquiring Lecavlier is foolish. the 2nd overall and another player for Lecavlier? I hardly think so. The Flyers would have to dig much deeper then that, dig deep into the nice pool of prospects they have worked hard to attain, and I just dont see it happening. I would be against any thought of trading several picks and prospects for Levalier or Richards. keep the picks and prospects and take your chances in free agency.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 01:37 PM
tytech

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeIsGoneDotCom View Post
which is why any thought of acquiring Lecavlier is foolish. the 2nd overall and another player for Lecavlier? I hardly think so. The Flyers would have to dig much deeper then that, dig deep into the nice pool of prospects they have worked hard to attain, and I just dont see it happening. I would be against any thought of trading several picks and prospects for Levalier or Richards. keep the picks and prospects and take your chances in free agency.

Take your chances in free agency? Lecavalier is proven. I'd give the second and carter, for example for Lecavalier. The guy dominates a game like only a few can do. You don't take a chance when he has proven himself for years in the NHL and on team Canada. If we can get him, get him. Richards can stay put though.

Old
05-31-2007, 01:55 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytech View Post
That statement has about as much truth as me saying "I can play hockey like Mario Lemieux"

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 01:58 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
I am fine with keeping the picks and taking chances on free agency. If we do that though, 1) I would like to trade down with Edmonton and see if we can get an extra pick or player and pick Gagner, and 2) If we dont end up with one of the big free agent centers, what do you propose as the solution? Do we go with Carter, Potulny, Richards down the middle, or try to get a cheaper short term replacement?

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 02:16 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Oh, boy, here we go...

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 02:26 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
well, if he's traded for salary reasons... then you can't receive a lot of salary in return. only reason to trade ANY of the big 3 is because they can't afford them on their club. therefore, a slew of picks begins to make a ton of sense in a deal.

Old
05-31-2007, 02:27 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
I do not think it is possible to get LeCavalier (it would be nice) but Clarke did trade with Tampa and now we have Pitkanen.

Pitkanen, Frank, Sanderson and 2nd and over all for LeCavalier? Would it do the trick? Or Flyers would need to add a center?

(not because I do not like Joni) Maybe Coburn/Picard can step in?

Last edited by Kaktus*: 05-31-2007 at 02:37 PM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 02:30 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
I do not think it is possible to get LeCavalier (it would be nice) but Clarke did trade with Tampa and now we have Pitkanen.
And that has anything to do with the present situation how? Clarke's no longer our GM, and we aren't trading for a top 5 draft pick... we're trading for one of the 5 best players in hockey; needless to say, the price is a tad steeper. All the Lecavalier talk is tiresome already... it's not happening, people, so it's best really not even to think about it.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 03:21 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Take your chances in free agency? Lecavalier is proven. I'd give the second and carter, for example for Lecavalier. The guy dominates a game like only a few can do. You don't take a chance when he has proven himself for years in the NHL and on team Canada. If we can get him, get him. Richards can stay put though.
im not saying he isnt proven. he is, i would rather take my chances on Briere or Gomez then trading away several picks, Downie, Nodl, Giroux ect.
Your willing to destroy our prospect depth for a proven center when we can get one on free agency without parting with our top prospects.
Lecavlier would cost 1 or 2 first rounders and 2 at least of Downie, Nodl, or Giroux or maybe even Parent.
No thanks.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote