HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gameday Saturday Oilers vs Canucks

Closed Thread

Old
12-24-2003, 11:44 AM
TheBrew

vCash: 500
Gameday Saturday Oilers vs Canucks

It's a little early but what the hell. one positive i can see coming in to this game is that the Canucks play Calgary Friday and we might be able to catch them flat footed in the first few minutes.

My line up for Saturday

Smyth-Oates-Isbister

Dvorak-York-Hemsky....Dont know if Dvorak can play left?

Moreau-Reasoner-Pisani....If Reasoner cant play Horcoff

Torres-Stoll-Larauqe

Old
12-24-2003, 11:56 AM
mackdogs*

I just hope MacT leaves Oates, Smyth, and Isbister together for a while. If Oates can get Smytty going this team will be for real again. When Smyth is firing on all cylinders so do the Oil. The line needs to gel, much like the rest, and I know we're all getting really tired of the MacT blender. Perhaps they play spin the bottle before the game to see who their partner will be? Regardless we need to stick with some lines that we think will work.

In the meantime I'll go visit Santa at the mall and ask him to put the Oilers in a division with Pitt, Fla, Buf, and Columbus. Maybe we could win a division again.

Old
12-24-2003, 12:13 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
hopefully the oilers have hit rock bottom and got pissed off at LawnDemon's bag on a head and they come out firing on all cylinders, well except the one that puts the puck in the net. Nux win 4-3.

Old
12-24-2003, 12:54 PM
OilerMania83

Oilers 3
Canucks 0

Al Hamilton with the natural hat trick

Old
12-24-2003, 02:31 PM
Thalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerMania83

Al Hamilton with the natural hat trick
Who's that?

Anyway, I can see the 'Nucks losing to the Flames on Boxing Day b/c past history shows that the Canucks eat WAY too much turkey and drink WAY too much eggnog at Christmas and they will skate and play like overweight stuffed turkeys.

However, I expect the Canucks will play better on Saturday against the Oil, so my prediction is:

'Nucks 3 (OT)
Oilers 2

Old
12-24-2003, 03:36 PM
Mizral

A lot depends on the game with the Flames. I think the Canucks will split the two games, and I'm going to say it's the Flames the Canucks beat, and it's the Oilers that they lose to.

Let's say, 4 - 3 Oilers in regulation.

Old
12-24-2003, 04:08 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrew
It's a little early but what the hell. one positive i can see coming in to this game is that the Canucks play Calgary Friday and we might be able to catch them flat footed in the first few minutes.

My line up for Saturday

Smyth-Oates-Isbister

Dvorak-York-Hemsky....Dont know if Dvorak can play left?

Moreau-Reasoner-Pisani....If Reasoner cant play Horcoff

Torres-Stoll-Larauqe
I don't think Reasoner will play. His knee keeps swelling up on him everytime he tries to skate.

12-24-2003, 04:36 PM
OilerMania83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia
Who's that?

Anyway, I can see the 'Nucks losing to the Flames on Boxing Day b/c past history shows that the Canucks eat WAY too much turkey and drink WAY too much eggnog at Christmas and they will skate and play like overweight stuffed turkeys.

However, I expect the Canucks will play better on Saturday against the Oil, so my prediction is:

'Nucks 3 (OT)
Oilers 2

Al Hamilton is a retired player from way back in Oiler land.

My actual prediction is 4-2 Canucks though.

Old
12-24-2003, 10:47 PM
Cerebral

They have to break out of this funk eventually.. I'm going to go out on a limb and predict a 4-3 Edmonton win. Expect Vancouver to have a bit of a hangover after playing a very hard-hitting Calgary team the night before. Hopefully MacT keeps the lines the same, I still think they can work.. just need to build some chemistry and confidence!

Old
12-24-2003, 11:08 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi_sultan
hopefully the oilers have hit rock bottom and got pissed off at LawnDemon's bag on a head and they come out firing on all cylinders, well except the one that puts the puck in the net. Nux win 4-3.
Hey the bag on head thing made the Edmonton Journal eh? Front page of the sports in the Game review.

Old
12-24-2003, 11:09 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer
Hey the bag on head thing made the Edmonton Journal eh? Front page of the sports in the Game review.
Hey just saw the other thread, sorry for the repeat info.

Old
12-25-2003, 07:40 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

vCash: 730
oilers will lose 5-1 to the canucks and proceed to make the usual excuses. ho hum

Old
12-25-2003, 02:46 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreuzer
Hey just saw the other thread, sorry for the repeat info.
no problem as a flames fan i'd expect u to run a little salt in the wound now and again

Old
12-25-2003, 08:40 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi_sultan
no problem as a flames fan i'd expect u to run a little salt in the wound now and again
, I was pretty pumped when I read that though, that takes some guts I never had in the debacle that has been the Flames.

Old
12-25-2003, 10:54 PM
Oilers Hockey

And Flames fans complain that we have a "pom pom" media? I always thought our media was pretty harsh! This is a tough city to play in, we know what great success is like.

Anyways I rolled a couple dice and it says it going to be a 4-4 tie. If I had to make my own prediction it would be 4-0 Canucks. Just because I'm a Grinch.

Old
12-25-2003, 11:02 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
And Flames fans complain that we have a "pom pom" media? I always thought our media was pretty harsh! This is a tough city to play in, we know what great success is like.

Anyways I rolled a couple dice and it says it going to be a 4-4 tie. If I had to make my own prediction it would be 4-0 Canucks. Just because I'm a Grinch.
I don't mind the journal. They're not bad but the Edmonton Sun sucks molasses. It was TJ who has been at fault of players being forced out of time as well as RB.

I don't understand why the media has to criticze the team every chance they get. When the Eskimos got off to a slow start this year. I think they won 2 of their first 5 games, the Edmonton was all over them. We all know how that ended up.

The same thing can happen with the Oilers but I'm not saying they're going to win the Stanley Cup. They can start winning. I won't ever give up. I've been a fan of them since about 1976 and now isn't the time to give up on their season.

The criticizing by the media and the booing by the fans only makes things worse. Let's say you're at a job and you're boss criticizes everything you do, even if it's a good job. How would you feel? You'd feel really bad knowing that nothing you do for will please your boss. It's the same in hockey. The team right now needs our support and I tell you it's hard to support the team out here on the west coast when you're surrounded by Canucks fans.

Old
12-26-2003, 03:25 AM
Oilers Hockey

Well, I feel for ya H83. They better enjoy their success because good times never last. As Oiler fans, we learned this tough lesson the hard way.

Yeah, I still have some optimism left. It's not like I have no hope and I know there is still time to turn it around and make the playoff (they definetely have the talent to do it) but with every loss I think Oiler fans feel the desperation right now. I know I do.

Yes it would be hard being an Oiler fan in Vancouver, but think of it this way, you're a fan of team that actually has tradition, and a legendary history. One of the most storied teams int he NHL. (Yeah I say that alot but it's true). I love this team and everything the Oilers represent. I'm proud to call myself a fan.

There are only a few logos of the NHL's 30 teams that define success and tradition in everyone's eyes, and the Oilers are one of them.

Sorry if that was all cornball. lol. But thats how I see it. Here's to hoping the new year will be a good year for us.

Old
12-26-2003, 07:35 AM
rabi_sultan

it mite be negative to have your boss always critising you, but to be honest this is a little different.

when you become a sports pro the boss is the coach/GM and not the fans. they are the customers and above all the "customer is always right", well guess what when you're being booed on the pp there must be a reason rite? so this should only put fire in the players to not only score but to stick it to their own fans.

Old
12-26-2003, 10:10 AM
Mizral

Edmonton media negative? Not nearly as much as most Canadian cities.

Old
12-26-2003, 12:32 PM
Oilers Hockey

Definetely not as bad as say Montreal. And it's not a goalie graveyard like Vancouver (though since we've never been able to depend on Salo this year it might be). But unforgiving nonetheless. The fans are tough to please as well.

Ever been here?

Old
12-26-2003, 12:47 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
Definetely not as bad as say Montreal. And it's not a goalie graveyard like Vancouver (though since we've never been able to depend on Salo this year it might be). But unforgiving nonetheless. The fans are tough to please as well.

Ever been here?
Many, many many times. I lived in Edmonton for 6 months a few years ago too. I go there at least once a year as all my family lives in Alberta (on my mothers side.. Drayton Valley, Weslock, Pickardville [Represent!], Laval, and one to the south of Alberta, Lethbridge). I usually catch one Oilers game at Skyreach a year, but I wasn't able to head up this year due to work complications.

Old
12-26-2003, 05:21 PM
Yanner39

Oilers have beaten the Nux in what now, 7 games? Don't see how in hell that streak will end tomorrow, especially in Vancouver.

Nucleheads 6-0.

Note to Mact: Instead of using an algorithm to try every possible line combination, why not add Rita or Salmaleinen or both to the active roster. Maybe the problem is not the line combos but the players themselves.

Old
12-26-2003, 07:55 PM
Mizral

Canucks beat the Flames, but unlike what I thought, they came out with a concerned 19-man effort.

I'll guess a tie against the Oilers, but I think the Oilers definetly have the edge with the Canucks playing their 2nd game in two nights.

Hopefully Salo plays and Naslund is feeling good, then maybe the Canucks can really put 'em away Otherwise, it should be a close one.

Old
12-26-2003, 08:13 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

WRT the media comments:

The media here is very lenient with this team. They put up with alot of things, and take the side of the organization at nearly every occasion. The team is only given criticism after long long periods of ineptitude, when everyone already knows the team is going downhill. For anyone who thinks the media here is tough on the team, read up on some other cities' newspapers, you'll change your mind.

I'd like our media to be much more intense with it's coverage....anyone wanna hire me to do that??

Old
12-26-2003, 08:23 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
WRT the media comments:

The media here is very lenient with this team. They put up with alot of things, and take the side of the organization at nearly every occasion. The team is only given criticism after long long periods of ineptitude, when everyone already knows the team is going downhill. For anyone who thinks the media here is tough on the team, read up on some other cities' newspapers, you'll change your mind.

I'd like our media to be much more intense with it's coverage....anyone wanna hire me to do that??
This is pretty much how I feel too.

If the Oilers are .500 or above, everything is rosey. Sometimes I wish people would realize.. .500 isn't very good anymore! Anyways, but when the Oilers are losing for any stretch, that's when the Oilers media turns on 'em.

In contract, in Vancouver, even when we're winning, it's 'Get rid of the Twins!', 'Cloutier sucks!' or, 'Fire Crawford' (The Fire Crawford movement has way more momentum than I bet most fans outside of Vancouver think.. crazy in a way). In Leaf-land, short of the media love in now, even when they win, it's 'Fire the coach!', 'Fire the GM!' or 'Fire Pat Quinn alltogether!'.

Closed Thread