HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gameday Saturday Oilers vs Canucks

Closed Thread

Old
12-27-2003, 07:42 PM
dem

vCash: 500
Um.. Smith would have worked Ohlund

Old
12-27-2003, 07:43 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem
Um.. Smith would have worked Ohlund
NO KIDDING....to think otherwise is plain goofy...

Old
12-27-2003, 07:43 PM
HOZ

Time to exhale. We win!

Feels good too!!!!!

Old
12-27-2003, 07:44 PM
metallicat
@metallicat51

Ohlund is going to take a beating next game that *****. Cheap shot when he KNEW Smith couldn't do anything. Ruutu, what a Grade A idiot. All that guy is good for is stirring up trouble, and again, he does it when he is leaving the ice...keep your head up Jarku.

Old
12-27-2003, 07:45 PM
fuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
Question for the board.

If Salo keeps playing like he did tonight for the rest of the year, do we pick up the option for 4 million dollars for next season?

Just want to guage your reactions..

If he does,you pick up the option and you ride him or you trade him so you can actually get something for him. It would be hard to trade him if he plays like he did in the past. Let us all hope that Salo gives the Oilers brass a tough choice to make this off season.

Old
12-27-2003, 07:45 PM
HOZ

Possible suspension for the coach?

19:53 2 minute Bench Penalty for Refusal To Play

That isn't allowed ya know....

Player SA GA Saves SV% TOI PIM
Tommy Salo 33 2 31 0.939 60:00 0

Way to go Tommy!

Old
12-27-2003, 07:48 PM
chopper21

vCash:
yeah thought we played really well..... Salo...well he did play a good game he fought for it forsure.....any reason why they pulled bergeron?

Old
12-27-2003, 07:49 PM
Oilers Hockey

I laughed when Ruutu chirped to the Oilers bench, let the baby have his bottle!

It just shows they are sore losers.

The whole team played like a team tonight. I'm so proud of them. I think the Oilers will get a huge win against the Flamers too, it looks like they're coming back down to earth.

Old
12-27-2003, 07:49 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhr
If he does,you pick up the option and you ride him or you trade him so you can actually get something for him. It would be hard to trade him if he plays like he did in the past. Let us all hope that Salo gives the Oilers brass a tough choice to make this off season.
I think you misunderstood my question a bit or I'm not sure what you're talking about exactly.

Picking up the option will give the Oilers his rights for next season at 4 million or more... whatever the dollar amount is. If they do not, Salo walks (I believe) as an UFA. You can't trade the rights to a player you don't own.

Personally, I can't see Salo here at 4 million. We'll never know what we'll have next season and that is just too much money to insert into an uncertainty. Maybe if they can restructure something in the offseason... while Salo is an UFA.

Old
12-27-2003, 07:51 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Question for the board.

If Salo keeps playing like he did tonight for the rest of the year, do we pick up the option for 4 million dollars for next season?

Just want to guage your reactions..

I guess it would depend on how hot het got, but to be honest I can't see it. I can't remember who all needs a raise, but Tommy's contract was based on some out of this world goaltending.

Since the contract was signed, he's had one good year.

I know he's a class guy and maybe a re-worked deal for less could be worked out, but imo alot of outstanding play would have to occur before even that happened.

Old
12-27-2003, 07:52 PM
metallicat
@metallicat51

And also let me say, how awesome did some of the guys play? Oates with his fantastic pass back to the point while taking a hit which led to a beauty goal by Smyth (from his practise fighter) Staois...and what about the patience of Horcoff and the beauty pass by him to Hemsky who made a great move to score.

This is the type of game that breaks teams out of slumps. Calgary is in trouble tomorrow night. Things that have not been going well, went great tonight...PP, PK, goaltending, defense, offense...EVERYTHING!

Old
12-27-2003, 07:52 PM
gretzky2kurri

Sorry Everyone.....

I realise it's PARTY TIME here, and quite frankly it's about frikkin time.

But this victory won't mean SQUAT to me if they poop the bed tomorrow night. :mad:

Perhaps the quick turn-over won't give them too much time to bask....and "get all high" on themselves. They can be famous for this.

If the Oilers win tomorrow...........I'm saying look out. They will have alot of confidence. Earned....

Old
12-27-2003, 07:55 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat
This is the type of game that breaks teams out of slumps. Calgary is in trouble tomorrow night. Things that have not been going well, went great tonight...PP, PK, goaltending, defense, offense...EVERYTHING!
LOL. It's getting a bit euphoric around here. But then I can't blame anyone. It's been so long.

Vancouver looked out of gas after the first... and they had just played against Calgary the night before. Calgary won't give up as many odd man rushes.

But I'll let us bask in this victory... Ignore the above comment for just tonight.

Old
12-27-2003, 07:56 PM
HOZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
I realise it's PARTY TIME here, and quite frankly it's about frikkin time.

But this victory won't mean SQUAT to me if they poop the bed tomorrow night. :mad:
100% agree.

Hopefully the last few minutes of this game will be remembered tomorrow and the Oilers will start shoving the Flames around a bit. A few pointed hits on Iginla and such!

Old
12-27-2003, 07:57 PM
fuhr

Quote:
I think you misunderstood my question a bit or I'm not sure what you're talking about exactly.

Picking up the option will give the Oilers his rights for next season at 4 million or more... whatever the dollar amount is. If they do not, Salo walks (I believe) as an UFA. You can't trade the rights to a player you don't own.

Personally, I can't see Salo here at 4 million. We'll never know what we'll have next season and that is just too much money to insert into an uncertainty. Maybe if they can restructure something in the offseason... while Salo is an UFA.

I think my answer was a not worded to well. I think you pick up his option,if he plays like his oldself for the rest of the year. If their is a market for a confident Tommy Salo and you get a good offer you than trade him. If you don't then you keep him because god knows this team will go as far as its goalie will take them for the next year or two. I do agree with you that $4 million might be steep but what else are they going to do in goal?

Old
12-27-2003, 07:57 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
I guess it would depend on how hot het got, but to be honest I can't see it. I can't remember who all needs a raise, but Tommy's contract was based on some out of this world goaltending.

Since the contract was signed, he's had one good year.

I know he's a class guy and maybe a re-worked deal for less could be worked out, but imo alot of outstanding play would have to occur before even that happened.
I agree for the most part. But I would have to think Lowe would be interested in signing Salo back for a greatly reduced price tag should the opportunity arise. But that would depend on whether he thinks Conklin is ready to take the #1 job, etc...

Old
12-27-2003, 07:59 PM
HOZ

Quote:
I agree for the most part. But I would have to think Lowe would be interested in signing Salo back for a greatly reduced price tag should the opportunity arise. But that would depend on whether he thinks Conklin is ready to take the #1 job, etc...

I believe this argument is moot. Next season will not be. Salo will be a UFA at the end of the CBA and will be looking at a far lower paycheck

Old
mamettt

Welcome back from the abyss boys....

Great game, especially when it started so poorly. Wow.

First off, Tommy was great. He was controlling his rebounds, playing the angles, and most of all, playing with confidence. I thought when it became 1-0 he was going to pack it in like on most nights...but he came through and made some outstanding saves.

We can talk about how beautiful dvorak's or isbister's goals were, and they were, but this game turned around on one play and one play only...mike york, the leader and god-send who is the best player on this team. When he stole it from bertuzzi and potted it, taking advantage of an over confident forward, the game singelhandedly changed. All night long, like every night, he made good solid plays and created chances. Thank god for mike york.

Isbister showed why he is valuable and should be kept in the lineup, at times being a force on the forecheck, and certainly doing a good deal to help his linemates. Dvorak was great both offensively and defensively, going down to block a number of shots and really using his speed. He showed us why lowe likes him so much. Smyth, staios, Brewer, and smith all played exceptionally, and of course hemsky had that one great play.

Pk was great...really just an all around great effort form everybody. It's only one game, but this could be a turning point. I say could be....big test tommorow against the flames. But it was a great game.

Momentai, even if salo played like this every night, I doubt we get him at 4 million. With so many player needing raises, I just don't see it. He would need to win a playoff round in order to be eligible for that kind of money. I think not taking his option, then trying to work something out at a lesser price is what will eventually end up happening.

Old
Lowetide

Just wanted to mention that Georges Laraque stepped in and did his job tonight, and I'll look forward to Allen's post game misconduct. How did the ref's miss that? Did they think Cooke's head looked like Allen's ass?

Old
12-27-2003, 08:02 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhr
I think my answer was a not worded to well. I think you pick up his option,if he plays like his oldself for the rest of the year. If their is a market for a confident Tommy Salo and you get a good offer you than trade him. If you don't then you keep him because god knows this team will go as far as its goalie will take them for the next year or two. I do agree with you that $4 million might be steep but what else are they going to do in goal?
But the problem with that as LT mentioned above is the amount of money it will take. Especially considering the raises that will come up next season.

Could we really handle 4 million dollars of Salo at last years' performance? Tough to say. Besides, the goaltender market isn't especially booming at the moment and I doubt things will change in one year.

What else could they do in goal? Who knows. Perhaps sign a veteran backup goaltender to tutor Conklin for the #1 job? At least it will be cheaper... But there are some options out there. We could even renegotiate a deal with Salo. It's not like the Oilers are especially backed into a corner IMO. There are "some" options out there.

Old
12-27-2003, 08:02 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOZ
100% agree.

Hopefully the last few minutes of this game will be remembered tomorrow and the Oilers will start shoving the Flames around a bit. A few pointed hits on Iginla and such!
WOW....the Hatfeilds and McCoys are getting along now! This winning.....is such a good tonic eh?

LOL......cheers....

Old
12-27-2003, 08:03 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

Interesting reaction.

When the Oilers fight near the end of games, I suppose it's just "trying to get some emotion for the next game" eh?

Lots of hypocracy-not everyone of course

Oilers dominated the 'Nucks from 2nd period on.

Auld was garbage though-it will be interesting to see the next game. Canuck-Oiler games are usually really close-all the games this year have been one-sided.

Oiler fans would love Ruutu if he was on your team.

Ripping on May? He STOPPED JUST BECAUSE MOREAU WAS VULNERABLE. It was a classy move. I suggest you watch hockey more often.

Old
12-27-2003, 08:03 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

I just talked to my brother, he was out watching the game with some buddies downtown somewhere, I guess some losers in Canuck jerseys got messed up pretty bad after the game cuz they were chirping, my bro said one guy had a Bertuzzi jersey, and some dude in a Hesmky jersey beat the stupid out of the Nucks fan, just imagine Hemsky working over Bertuzzi, I love it. I guess there was alot of blood, but team Edmonton came out looking good, one of the Nucks guys had to be carried off by his buddies cuz he was knocked the "F" out.

NANANANA NANANANA HEY HEY HEY, NUCKS SUCK!!!

Old
12-27-2003, 08:05 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOZ
I believe this argument is moot. Next season will not be. Salo will be a UFA at the end of the CBA and will be looking at a far lower paycheck
Who knows? Maybe the CBA getst worked out quickly? (I'm not holding my breath by the way. )

I'm just speculating for the moment on whether or not Lowe would exercise the option left on Salo's contract at the end of the season.

Old
12-27-2003, 08:08 PM
mamettt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
I just talked to my brother, he was out watching the game with some buddies downtown somewhere, I guess some losers in Canuck jerseys got messed up pretty bad after the game cuz they were chirping, my bro said one guy had a Bertuzzi jersey, and some dude in a Hesmky jersey beat the stupid out of the Nucks fan, just imagine Hemsky working over Bertuzzi, I love it. I guess there was alot of blood, but team Edmonton came out looking good, one of the Nucks guys had to be carried off by his buddies cuz he was knocked the "F" out.

NANANANA NANANANA HEY HEY HEY, NUCKS SUCK!!!
That's horrible. Somebody should report that to the police...nothing to be proud of at all. Give your head a shake buddy.

Closed Thread