HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Gameday Saturday Oilers vs Canucks

Closed Thread

Old
12-27-2003, 08:11 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

vCash: 500
sorry guys, i just realized how bad i sounded, i dont condone violence in any way, i just have alot of emotion in my blood right now, and the fact that a hemsky jersey beat up a bertuzzi jersey made it that much funnier. im not evil though, so i will apoligize for my above statement.
Go Oilers!!!

Old
12-27-2003, 08:11 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveburner
Oiler fans would love Ruutu if he was on your team.

Ripping on May? He STOPPED JUST BECAUSE MOREAU WAS VULNERABLE. It was a classy move. I suggest you watch hockey more often.
I agree about Ruutu. And I agree about May.

Old
12-27-2003, 08:12 PM
Silver

I've got no complaints right now.

Salo played great, Laraque finally snapped at someone (I can't remember the last time he went after someone who wasn't the other team's goon...Cooke may have woken a sleeping giant, I hope.)

Isbister was fantastic, Dvorak got rewarded for a lot of skating (especially after the shot off the ankle early in the game) and Hemsky was shifty. Hopefully they can get a win tomorrow and start playing a bit like they were before the Heritage Classic.

Two other things, since I don't want to make a couple more replies in this thread.

1. If Salo plays like this the rest of the year, you pick up the option so you can trade him. Conklin can handle the load. I think this is the last year you'll see Salo in an Oiler uniform, unless he does something crazy like win 25 games from here on in.

2. If Smith and Ohlund get into a real fight, and Smith gets Ohlund's helmet off, Ohlund is dead. C'mon Mizral, you must be smoking crack if you think that Ohlund could take Smith. I might as well argue that Semenov could take Bertuzzi.

Old
12-27-2003, 08:12 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Joe
HAHAHAHAH Good for Canucks fans .
Clever. I hope you are still laughing when some random people beat the crap outta you for cheering for a different team.

Old
12-27-2003, 08:13 PM
fuhr

[/QUOTE]What else could they do in goal? Who knows. Perhaps sign a veteran backup goaltender to tutor Conklin for the #1 job? At least it will be cheaper... But there are some options out there. We could even renegotiate a deal with Salo. It's not like the Oilers are especially backed into a corner IMO. There are "some" options out there.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you that they may have options out there but you don't want to get caught with Conklin and a ? in goal. Working out a deal at a lower price with Salo would be a good option. I still think a deal for a Biron type of goalie,who has been around a few years and would be helped with a change of address,wouldn't be a bad deal. Biron makes like $2.5 Million and is he worth that? It's a tough call IMO

Old
12-27-2003, 08:14 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamettt
That's horrible. Somebody should report that to the police...nothing to be proud of at all. Give your head a shake buddy.
No kidding. I like a little ribbing......but when people are leaking all over.....that's a bit much.

Old
12-27-2003, 08:15 PM
Silver

Quote:
Interesting reaction.

When the Oilers fight near the end of games, I suppose it's just "trying to get some emotion for the next game" eh?
<SNIP>
Ripping on May? He STOPPED JUST BECAUSE MOREAU WAS VULNERABLE. It was a classy move. I suggest you watch hockey more often.
The Oilers don't fight near the end of the game. They haven't seemed to care this year. I'd like to see a little more of it. Sure, if you're playing beer league hockey, that kinda stuff is stupid, but these guys don't have to worry about getting up at 6 to get to the office tomorrow.

Agree with you on May. I think if the situation was reversed Moreau would have done the same thing.

Old
12-27-2003, 08:17 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Clever. I hope you are still laughing when some random people beat the crap outta you for cheering for a different team.
I don't condone it either. But who really knows whether he had it coming? None of us.

We don't really know how random it was either.

I hope the sad sack is okay though.

Old
12-27-2003, 08:17 PM
windowlicker

Quote:

hey, when someone tries to attain a police record due to his team winning, thats just plain stupid, and definetaly should not be encouraged or applauded, ..... but trolling it trolling.

Old
12-27-2003, 08:18 PM
fuhr

Quote:

Couldn't of said it better myself!!!!!!

Old
12-27-2003, 08:23 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
I don't condone it either. But who really knows whether he had it coming? None of us.

We don't really know how random it was either.

I hope the sad sack is okay though.
I could have phrased it better-but the basic point-people shouldn't get beat up over something as inconsequential as a hockey game.

Old
12-27-2003, 08:35 PM
Doug Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
Why is Bob Cole now doing Western games?

Second week in a row?
I don't know but either Bob ticked somebody at CBC off or we Westerners did. Bob's still got the voice though, too bad he's turned into a ramblin' man in his twilight years.

Great game. Everything we would have asked for if we didn't know better. Also agree with the sentiment that this could be a turning point, but only with a strong showing tomorrow night as well.

I'm sure everybody felt it but I've really been missing the feeling I got when Izzy scored the winner. I want more.

Old
12-27-2003, 09:35 PM
Vomiting Kermit*

I dunno if this has been mentioned yet, but the jersey Auld wore in warm-up had his name spelt 'Alud'. The same thing happened with Alexander Daigle earlier this year when the Wild and Coyotes played the final game at AWA. 'Diagle' was what was put on the back of his jersey. When Gretzky was a Ranger, he wore a jersey that had his name spelt 'Gretkzy'. The only difference between Auld's jersey and the other two is that Daigle and Gretzky wore those jerseys for an entire game.

Must feel good to know that the organization you belong to can't even spell your last name properly on your jersey. :p

Old
12-27-2003, 09:54 PM
Allan

Quote:
Interesting reaction.

When the Oilers fight near the end of games, I suppose it's just "trying to get some emotion for the next game" eh?

Lots of hypocracy-not everyone of course
My main problem is that the Oilers don't do that enough. I think that if they had been losing at the end of this one, they would have done it too, since there was finally some emotion. I do think it's classless, but not wrong, as long as it isn't every game.

Quote:
This is the proper application of the unwritten "Code" Laraque talks about. If a guy is completely helpless, you don't hit him. I have even more respect for May now, because he held back when it was appropriate, but he will always stand up for himself or his teammates when it is appropriate, which does not always require the written consent of the other player, two days in advance.

Old
12-27-2003, 10:04 PM
kruezer

Nice to see the Oilers lay down some smack, they'd been storing that up for quite a while I think, and the best was they showed there scoring depth finally, lotsa goals from lotsa sources, just as was planned. Hopefully they can get going, just not against Calgary tommorrow

Old
12-27-2003, 10:13 PM
Oiltown16

well I wish I could have seen that game but from what I see on NHL.com is

Salo had a great game, killing of 6 Penalty Kills (I know he doesnt do it all himself but still our Penalty Kill)

Our Penalty Kill did something right or smoked something good, stopping 6 PP chances from BigBird, Nassy, Jovo thats pretty good

Our Offensive found itself again, with not only one line doing the damage, lots of guys gettin in on the score sheet.

We scored a PP goal WOW

Old
12-27-2003, 11:17 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Okay, I watched the Oilers outscore the Canucks 6-1 (I missed the 1st goal) and actually play well.

LMHF#1 is both angered and frightened.

Angered because look at what happens when our team actually decides to play, and takes advantage of questionable goaltending.

Frightened because we just beat the Canucks 6-2 after....well.....lately. Like, what is that??? Is the world just gonna flip over on it's end?

Scary moment when it looked like the Nucks scored #3, think that coulda been the ballgame, instead it wasn't a goal, we start lighting the place up, who'da thunk?

Figure out whatever that was, and do it more often already! Sure didn't look that hard.

Side Note- The Canucks are just plain chippy when they get behind, that was brutal to watch. Jarko goin at Fernando??? WHAT????

And Salo still looked bad, but he got the 'W', and that's what matters.

Ty tomorrow I hope, let's rip the Flames apart.

Old
12-27-2003, 11:22 PM
gretzky2kurri

Salo will get the ball tomorrow.

We need to find out if he's coming back to form.

Old
12-27-2003, 11:32 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Note on the Canuck fan beatings-

Ya know what, normally I wouldn't say anything, but that group in this town seems to REALLY enjoy the trash. Last game here they were all over the place, talkin smack, called a friend of mine a rather unflattering word starting with 'w' because she was walking with two guys in Oilers jerseys, yelled and screamed in your face everywhere, it's just garbage. I can't really repeat alot of what was done/said on here without being victim of the censor. If you're gonna do that in another team's town, you deserve to get popped. Calgary fans aren't even this bad........

Last edited by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1: 12-27-2003 at 11:46 PM.
Old
12-28-2003, 04:44 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
Oilers have beaten the Nux in what now, 7 games? Don't see how in hell that streak will end tomorrow, especially in Vancouver.

Nucleheads 6-0.

Note to Mact: Instead of using an algorithm to try every possible line combination, why not add Rita or Salmaleinen or both to the active roster. Maybe the problem is not the line combos but the players themselves.
Man I was pretty close.

Good game for the OIlers. Much needed actually. I haven't seen Salo play like this is long time. That save he made (although meaningless) late in the third period was the kind of saves he was making a few years back. It was great to see.

Regardless whether the Canucks didn't bring their A game, this was huge for the OIlers. Yes they beat the backup goalie, but scoring 6 against a team they hadn't scored on yet has to boost their confidence. Hopefully, they can keep it up tonight.

Old
12-28-2003, 04:49 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat
Ohlund is going to take a beating next game that *****. Cheap shot when he KNEW Smith couldn't do anything. Ruutu, what a Grade A idiot. All that guy is good for is stirring up trouble, and again, he does it when he is leaving the ice...keep your head up Jarku.
Actually, I don't blame Ohlund. The stupid linesmen didn't do their jobs. You don't neutralize one player and leave the other one swinging. The only reason the linesmen did step in was because they new Ohlund didn't have a chance. Anyways, Smith's a big boy.

Old
12-28-2003, 05:50 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

a little late posting for the game however i was surprised and elated by the win. i hope this is what helps the team turn around their season, tonights game should definitely tell us where this team is headed going into the new year. great goal by hemsky and what do you know smytty and staios get into a scuffle and proceed to hook up for a goal. was disappointed after the first period but after that a break on the york goal seemed to turn the tide in favor for the oilers. good job boys.

Old
12-28-2003, 08:02 AM
xauxi

I would put some of my thought of last night game. Althouhg this is only one game, I hope this is the turning point for the Oilers, just like York's goal last night to turn the Oilers around. Everyone played great with passion and determination.
Enough for players, I would also like to praise MacT for preparing this game quite well. Obviously, the coaching staffs had done the right thing to raise the team's confidence the day before (during practice).
Keep it up Oilers and no more bag skating.
The win tonight over Flames will certainly remove a lot of doubts of my mind about the whole team effort: players and coaches.
Let's Go Oilers....

Closed Thread