HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Preds\hamilton Talk\argument\debate Goes Here

Old
06-14-2007, 12:11 PM
Olaf

vCash: 500
This just makes the NHL look stupid...
Selling tickets for a team that is not even sold to a different city...

So if you have a billion dollars you can get a Ticketmaster to sell tickets for a sports teams in a city you would like to move to that you officially do not own???
Crazy...

Mr. Blackberry is doing what he can to stir things up that is for sure. I really wonder if he will even attend a game in Nashville this year. Probably safer that he doesn't...

Olaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 12:14 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle View Post
I don't see how they don't approve it. They're probably smacking their lips thinking about a team valued at around $135M being sold for $220M.

I think people are seriousy overestimating the effect this will have on future sales of other clubs. Just becuase Mr. Baldsilly overpayed for this franchise badly doesn't mean others will follow suit. Do you think he could turn around and sell this team for 220 mil? Hell no! If Phoneix or Flordia were to put their clubs up for sale today do you think someone would pay anywhere near 220 mil for those clubs?

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 12:20 PM
PuckNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
I think people are seriousy overestimating the effect this will have on future sales of other clubs. Just becuase Mr. Baldsilly overpayed for this franchise badly doesn't mean others will follow suit. Do you think he could turn around and sell this team for 220 mil? Hell no! If Phoneix or Flordia were to put their clubs up for sale today do you think someone would pay anywhere near 220 mil for those clubs?
Well, we'll find out soon if it effects other teams value. Right now, Darryl Katz (billionaire drug store chain owner) is trying to purchase the Edmonton Oilers. He's an Edmontonian and wants to build a new arena here, so the team wouldn't move. But he put in an official offer today of $150 million.

PuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 01:07 PM
Manicmoose

He's playing a huge game of chess with the BOG... If he can show Hamilton having a season base of 13 -14000 and Nashvillie is still struggling to hit their target numbers then he just put the BOG into check and possibly check mate... It would look mighty foolish if the BOG insist that the team stay in a losing $$ market... Yes you can have a NHL team but you gotta keep it hear and lose money on it... doesnt sound like a sound investment if you ask me... No offence to the Nashville fans out there, as an Oiler fan we almost lost out team a couple times, but the community stepped up and the franchise has turned into one of the healthier ones in the NHL.

losing 70 mil over 10 years is a hard pill to swollow, hopefully the Nashville community steps up and shows that they actually want a NHL team at all...

Manicmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 01:15 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manicmoose View Post
losing 70 mil over 10 years is a hard pill to swollow, hopefully the Nashville community steps up and shows that they actually want a NHL team at all...
The Predators perhaps lost that much, but I doubt Mr.Leipold lost that much, considering he runs Powers Management, the company that takes income from the arena.

I don't doubt the Predators have probably lost some money, but I do not think its as high as Mr. Leipold claims. This guy is simply trying to make things look as bad as possible so that he comes across as being a good guy.

Whats funny is that there were articles coming out of Canada claiming that Leipold is a liar and con artist, but as soon as he announces he's selling the team and claimed he lost money, they change tune and think he's an angel and believe every word he says.

As for the whole Hamilton ticket sales idea, the "deposits" do not equal buying season tickets. They are 100% refundable. I could go buy one and then drop my deposit after the number is reported. However, I do not doubt that there are a ton of hockey fans in the Hamilton area. There is going to be more then in Nashville.

However, Nashville is like drafting a prospect. At first they cannot help you out much as you are building for the future. But you hope that their potential will help you in years to come. We haven't been given enough time to be considered a bust at this point.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 01:21 PM
Brazz
This boat is 4 real!

Agreed it seems like Balsillie is moving very fast but he knows exactly what he is doing even if we do not.

Brazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 02:19 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
The Predators perhaps lost that much, but I doubt Mr.Leipold lost that much, considering he runs Powers Management, the company that takes income from the arena.

I don't doubt the Predators have probably lost some money, but I do not think its as high as Mr. Leipold claims. This guy is simply trying to make things look as bad as possible so that he comes across as being a good guy.
Yeah, let's not forget...and let's educate those throwing around numbers that they don't fully understand...that Powers Management is a sister company of the Predators and directly receive many game revenues from the Predators.

The $70 million loss is greatly inflated because of the revenues that go to Powers Management rather than directly into the Predators books, but Leipold did not lose nearly that much money as Powers Management has earned over $60 million in profits during the same time period being discussed.

Statistics lie...never forget that.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 02:39 PM
devilinto

Damn he is overpaying for this team and u think they are gonna turn him down.
The only problem might be TOronto and buffalo

devilinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 03:08 PM
d-rob

Jim Balsillie is such a knob. He acts like he runs the league and he can do anything And to tell the people of Nashville that he has no intention of moving them and then go put tickets on sale here in Hamilton.....nice move. We don't want to take a team away from people who passionatley love it as shown in Nashville. Yeah another team in Ontario would be nice..but not at the expense of other fans.

d-rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 03:39 PM
darth5
No!

Kind of funny all the statements he has made about not being the owner yet and it is inappropriate for him to talk to the city of NASHVILLE, yet he has no qualms about talking it up big in Hamilton, to the folks of Hamilton, etc. Guess we just learned alot about him.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 04:04 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqweaf View Post
I think he is doing this incase this fall's through in Nashville, and by the number your fans have put up, it will. It ishelping Nashville out, because maybe people will buy tickets now, and get your attendance up.
I don't get what "number" you are referring to or why you believe that we will fall short of reaching either the 14,000 paid attendance average as stated by Leipold, Metro, and the NHL or the 14,185 paid attendance average as stated by Balsillie's mouthpiece Rodier last week as a "cumulative" average since Nashville did have a paid attendance average of 13,815 last season and would have reached the 14k mark with two more playoff games.

Last edited by Enoch: 06-14-2007 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Quoted post was removed
Old
06-14-2007, 05:44 PM
PredDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
no disrespect to nashville fans here. Just hear me out.

Jim Ballsillie is a hockey fan. A very very rich hockey fan. If you had the kind of money he did, and would do anything in your power to get a hockey team, would you not try as hard as he has?

im not saying that this guy isnt a dick to the nashville fans. The fact is, nashville has not been a sucessfull market for the NHL. Ballsillie wants a team, and is trying to prove that hamilton will be a sucessful market. IT SUCKS for nashville, but thats the way it is. Nashville is a burden on the league financially. Hamilton will not be one. Although the NHL loves its fans and all, this is a BUSINESS. all of ballsillie's actions have been thought out and smart, and he is making all the right people happy with his moves. (any publicity for hockey in the states is good publicity, right?)
You are obviously new here...

GO AWAY!!!! You are being VERY disrespectful.

Troll.

PredDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 06:01 PM
Goaliemon89
CBJ's Future CFO

Send a message via ICQ to Goaliemon89 Send a message via AIM to Goaliemon89 Send a message via MSN to Goaliemon89 Send a message via Yahoo to Goaliemon89
Preds fans...I use this on the CBJ board to "spray" away trolls. Feel free to use it here to:

I'm with you guys and support the preds (even though you guys beat us like 90% of the time) - lol

Goaliemon89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 06:05 PM
Sarge18

If they do end up moving, it could backfire anyway because the arena in Hamilton has about 14 luxury boxes and is a carbon copy of the dump in East Rutherford, NJ. I don't see how they're gonna generate much more revenue than Nashville in a place like that. Guarantee that within a year if they move, he'll be begging the city for a new arena.

Sarge18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 06:17 PM
sluggo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
No one knows how good it's looking until about March. We still hold the keys.
Right, cause it all comes down to the attendence, its like Balsillie has lots and lots of money and buy his way out of a lease........

sluggo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 06:17 PM
trotzian brow

http://www.nashvillepost.com/news/20...s_in_the_works

Local group forming in Nashville to buy team if deal falls through.

trotzian brow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 06:20 PM
sluggo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
But it's the whole fact that he's operating under the assumption that the team won't reach the necessary attendance level and that this move is inevitable. That's the thing rubbing everyone the wrong way. You don't pour money into renovating an arena if you don't have something up your sleeve to guarantee the team won't sell enough tickets.
They just some DJ (whos big in the save the Predators thing in Nashville, I forget his name) on the Fan in Toronto. While he try to be optimistic, when the question "how many people and business have stepped up and spent the money that is needed" the answer was none.

Balsillie can (and I would be surprised if he didn) jack up ticket prices in Nashville, and if the worst (for Balsillie happens) he'll probably just throw as much money at the problem as he has to buy his way out of the lease.

Old
06-14-2007, 06:35 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanek-26 View Post
They just some DJ (whos big in the save the Predators thing in Nashville, I forget his name) on the Fan in Toronto. While he try to be optimistic, when the question "how many people and business have stepped up and spent the money that is needed" the answer was none.
I assume you meant that the Toronto radio station interviewed a DJ from Nashville, but I would be interested to know who it was. It wasn't our newspaper reporter John Glennon was it? Glennon has been given interviews all over the Canadian media on this topic.

Quote:
Balsillie can (and I would be surprised if he didn) jack up ticket prices in Nashville, and if the worst (for Balsillie happens) he'll probably just throw as much money at the problem as he has to buy his way out of the lease.
Ticket prices for this season have already been set and are being sold. The earliest he could raise prices would be for the 2008-09 season.

Old
06-14-2007, 07:02 PM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
Right, cause it all comes down to the attendence, its like Balsillie has lots and lots of money and buy his way out of a lease........
A lease that runs to 2028? We're not talking about getting out 3 years early, and the city government DOES NOT want the team to move. If there's not a buy-out option, he cannot get out of it. Everything stated in every place says, "as long as there is a lease, he cannot move."

You want the team so badly that you're distorting reality.

DontCallPlayersStuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 07:27 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

I would like to see Bettman go to bat for Nashville like he did for Pittsburgh.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 07:32 PM
Masao

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtrash25 View Post
The Board of Governors will not approve a new owner who doesn't even bother to pretend that he's keeping the team in Nashville.

Already, Balsillie has violated "good faith" by brazenly dealing with Hamilton and making promises to their chatty mayor before even owning the team.
Actually, I think what Balsillie is doing is in good faith. Since he's so open about his intentions of moving the team, he can be stopped before he does it.

It would have been a lot worse if he pretended he wanted to keep the team in Nashville, then made an about face once everyone trusts him and try to move the team.

Masao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 07:42 PM
sluggo*

Quote:
A lease that runs to 2028? We're not talking about getting out 3 years early, and the city government DOES NOT want the team to move. If there's not a buy-out option, he cannot get out of it. Everything stated in every place says, "as long as there is a lease, he cannot move."

You want the team so badly that you're distorting reality.
Not from what I heard today, that DJ said they will not get any support from the city or the government (ie - they will not buy up the tickets needed to hit the number they need).

Balsillie is a BILLIONARE who will pay (from what I've seen) between 50 -100 million dollars more for the Predators then they are worth. Hes paid Hamilton (again from what I have heard reported) an non-refundable down payment on the lease on Copps. He wants that team and he wants it in Hamilton. Buying a lease (doesn't have to be a buy out option if both parties agree) if he has too, please, thats small potatoes.

You want the team to stay so badly you're distorting reality.

Old
06-14-2007, 07:58 PM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
Not from what I heard today, that DJ said they will not get any support from the city or the government (ie - they will not buy up the tickets needed to hit the number they need).

Balsillie is a BILLIONARE who will pay (from what I've seen) between 50 -100 million dollars more for the Predators then they are worth. Hes paid Hamilton (again from what I have heard reported) an non-refundable down payment on the lease on Copps. He wants that team and he wants it in Hamilton. Buying a lease (doesn't have to be a buy out option if both parties agree) if he has too, please, thats small potatoes.

You want the team to stay so badly you're distorting reality.
The city said they weren't sure about buying up tickets on a shortfall. Whatever "DJ" that you can't even name doesn't have his facts straight, either. Go to the Tennessean's website and read about the ticket drives that are on-going right now, the corporate leaders, spearheaded buy Sommet's Brian Whitfield, who are actively campaigning the business community to buy corporate packages with what they feel as "a realistic goal" of 3000 tickets, which would all but ensure the attendance figure is met. If there's a lease, there is no "buying out of it." Balsillie could try to break it, and find himself in court in a battle he has no hope of winning. That "law of the land" you sang and danced about would see to that.

DontCallPlayersStuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 08:04 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

And you guys distort how rich this guy is, the dude is not Michael Dell, he's not even Martha Ingram.

There is not another out in the lease other than the attendance clause, it also states that the team has to play in the arena.

You're right, he could try to fight it, but he'd be tied up in court battling the city and every Vanderbilt intern that comes along.

Fact, if we sell 14k seats, the team will remain in Nashville.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 08:10 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I assume you meant that the Toronto radio station interviewed a DJ from Nashville, but I would be interested to know who it was. It wasn't our newspaper reporter John Glennon was it? Glennon has been given interviews all over the Canadian media on this topic.

Ticket prices for this season have already been set and are being sold. The earliest he could raise prices would be for the 2008-09 season.
It was Willie Daunic and he said nothing of the sort. Vanek is only hearing what he wants to hear.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote