HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

How about we call up Hossa and put him instead of Sundstrom?

Closed Thread

Old
12-24-2003, 11:21 AM
jcpenny

vCash: 500
How about we call up Hossa and put him instead of Sundstrom?

That line with Juneau clearly lacks a big body. Sundstrom and Dacks play a similr style but i like Dackell better. Hossa could do a goo job of cheking on that line. Sundstrom is too soft. BTW bring Ward up too while were at it.

Old
12-24-2003, 11:27 AM
Rahan

Nope, Sundstrom is a better player overall than Hossa is, sure he may not have his "talent" but right now he's the best out of the two. Plus Hossa is disappointing in Hamilton right now.

Old
12-24-2003, 11:41 AM
Medicine Twin

Not a chance. Hossa is not getting the job done in Hamilton for one. Second, for as long as I've known Dackell and Sundstrom really compliment each other. And if it's not broke don't fix it.

Old
12-24-2003, 11:56 AM
Go Habs Go

If Hossa is stinking it up in the AHL, what makes you think he would outperform Sundstrom in Montreal?

Old
12-24-2003, 12:41 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go
If Hossa is stinking it up in the AHL, what makes you think he would outperform Sundstrom in Montreal?
He sould be in the NHL even though he not doing well overthere.

Old
12-24-2003, 01:12 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny
He sould be in the NHL even though he not doing well overthere.
You might have a point, in that Bulis saved his career by playing with Juneau and Dackell, and so learned how to play defence without the burden of being expected to score regularly.

But there are important differences. Bulis was a more polished player at the time, with no question of him being sent down to the minors. It was only a question of him finding a role that he could adapt to.

It was also a question of timing. The Habs are a much deeper team today than they were then. Hossa hasn't earned his a regular position with the Habs, and he might have even fallen behind Higgins, Plekanec, and Balej in terms of next call-ups. Add Gratton, Ward, and Begin, and there is very little room for Hossa, even on the 3rd line.

Hossa's future, I suspect, lies with another team. His greatest value to the Habs might be his potential trade value.

Old
12-24-2003, 01:14 PM
Drunk World Order

Hossa has looked very brutal and heartless...the habs should look at maybe dealing him somewhere for a pick or prospect...how about to T-bay for Svitov?

Old
12-24-2003, 01:30 PM
GB

vCash: 370
Send a message via ICQ to GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk World Order
Hossa has looked very brutal and heartless...the habs should look at maybe dealing him somewhere for a pick or prospect...how about to T-bay for Svitov?
I thnk that as Hossa has decent value if he's moved, as is becoming more likely, then it should be for a roster player, not a prospect. We have plenty of good prospects that it wouldn't affect our depth too badly.

Old
12-24-2003, 01:56 PM
Thomas

Send a message via MSN to Thomas
You dont like Hossa because he has yet to crack the Habs roster, but you like Svitov who hasnt cracked the TB roster?

Hossa's worth more to us then hes probably worth in a trade. For the first 4 games with the Habs he was oozing confidence and he scored 5 goals during that period, but has lost that confidence after being juggled around. Hes still very young, and hes not the type of guy you give up on at this stage in his development. We lack skilled players with size, and Hossa is exactly that type of player. Before trading him away for a center, the Habs might as well try him at his natural position. Hossa may not be as physical as Svitov, but he owns a better skill set. Svitov doesnt play with anymore heart IMO, and he can be just as lazy as Hossa can. If Hossa is in fact traded, the day he regains his confidence, it will be the Leclair trade all over agin IMO. Give our prospects a bit more time to develop, Hossa and Hainsey still have time yet. Ribeiro was in the same boat his past few years, and has finally emerged at 23. We need to be more patient with our prospects, they wont make an impact at such a young age.

Old
12-24-2003, 03:19 PM
Istvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave
You might have a point, in that Bulis saved his career by playing with Juneau and Dackell, and so learned how to play defence without the burden of being expected to score regularly.

But there are important differences. Bulis was a more polished player at the time, with no question of him being sent down to the minors. It was only a question of him finding a role that he could adapt to.

It was also a question of timing. The Habs are a much deeper team today than they were then. Hossa hasn't earned his a regular position with the Habs, and he might have even fallen behind Higgins, Plekanec, and Balej in terms of next call-ups. Add Gratton, Ward, and Begin, and there is very little room for Hossa, even on the 3rd line.

Hossa's future, I suspect, lies with another team. His greatest value to the Habs might be his potential trade value.
Hossa + ? to Minny for Mikko Koivu.

Old
12-24-2003, 06:03 PM
Drunk World Order

I've watched about 4 Hamilton Bulldog games this year...and he's done absolutley nothing...he looks uninterested...and plays extremely soft for a guy his size...On a couple of occasions there would be a scrum...one that comes to mind is a game against the phantoms where 3 phantoms were roughing up balej pretty good...and he stood there watching!!!...I will admit if Hossa can get it together...he could be a solid player, but I don't that happening?...Svitov would address a need "size down the middle"...to be honest he would look really good centering our 3rd line right now...and he also has a mean streak...Tampa Bay seems to be a bit frustrated with him at this point so a move might make sense!

Old
12-24-2003, 06:35 PM
Thomas

Send a message via MSN to Thomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk World Order
I've watched about 4 Hamilton Bulldog games this year...and he's done absolutley nothing...he looks uninterested...and plays extremely soft for a guy his size...On a couple of occasions there would be a scrum...one that comes to mind is a game against the phantoms where 3 phantoms were roughing up balej pretty good...and he stood there watching!!!...I will admit if Hossa can get it together...he could be a solid player, but I don't that happening?...Svitov would address a need "size down the middle"...to be honest he would look really good centering our 3rd line right now...and he also has a mean streak...Tampa Bay seems to be a bit frustrated with him at this point so a move might make sense!
The games I've watched, Svitov didnt seem to try any harder. He floated around and hardly played the body. Both games were shutouts, but I dont see anything special in this guy. Your reputation can only bring you so far, and the games I have seen (though few), he never met those expectations. For someone who is supposed to be in the NHL, he wasnt dominating the AHL anymore than Hossa has been. There may be a reason why TB isnt high on him, he didnt even crack the line up who after LeCavalier and Richards isnt very strong.

Closed Thread