HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

New York to make scalping legal on Internet

Old
06-01-2007, 10:20 AM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
New York to make scalping legal on Internet

"New York is poised this week to become the latest state to ease or eliminate decades-old restrictions on scalping.

For the first time, it would become entirely legal in the state for average fans to scalp their seats on the Internet. And, for better or worse, they could sell those tickets at what ever price the market is willing to bear.

The state assembly approved the changes Tuesday. The Senate is expected to follow suit, and Gov. Eliot Spitzer could sign the measure by Friday, when the state’s old anti-scalping law expires.

Some old regulations would stay in place. Scalpers would still be banned from selling tickets within 1,500 feet of large arenas, like Madison Square Garden and Yankee Stadium, and within 500 feet of smaller venues."

From MSNBC

So is this bad for consumers? Will this encourage scalpers and ticket brokers to hoard even more tickets making it harder to find a reasonably priced ticket to the game? Or will the market simply dictate the prices as they do now?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 10:53 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Or will the market simply dictate the prices as they do now?
I think this is exactly what has happened which is why these laws are being scrapped everywhere. I sell tickets (sometimes at a premium) and buy tickets (sometimes at a premium) on the internet and I think that the way scalping has evolved has made it safer for the consumer and a fairer financial environment. I know some fans are upset that they have to pay a huge premium for tickets for major events like the playoffs but for every dollar I've made on my good tickets, I've lost that dollar on useless exhibition games I am required to purchase or Tuesday night games against Washington or Florida.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 11:39 AM
NYR469

given the insane prices of tickets on ebay and stubhub for playoffs or special events like messier night i'm not really sure how this will change anything. basically they weren't enforcing the laws before so they are just gonna get rid of them.

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 02:20 PM
Choice

I recently got a summons bc of that 1500 ft rule, and I didnt sell the ticket for close to face value.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 02:26 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice View Post
I recently got a summons bc of that 1500 ft rule, and I didnt sell the ticket for close to face value.

They tried that same BS with me a couple years ago and I didn't even sell them. I asked for my appearance to be rescheduled and they responded by saying the charge was dropped and sealed.

Old
06-20-2007, 02:54 PM
broadwayblue

Well, it's a done deal. Ticket scalping is now legal. Guess we'll see what effect this has on the market soon enough.

AP Article: http://www.dailyfreeman.com/site/new...id=74969&rfi=6

Old
06-20-2007, 03:00 PM
COMCASTMONEY
pay ya cable bills.

How is scalping legal on the internet any different than places like Stubhub and eBay?

COMCASTMONEY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 03:55 PM
jhnyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Hate View Post
How is scalping legal on the internet any different than places like Stubhub and eBay?
It WAS illegal to sell NYC-based tickets on Stubhub and eBay. (For more than 5% above face, IIRC.)

They just never enforced the rules.

jhnyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 07:08 PM
vertung

What effect will this have on visiting fans getting seats?

vertung is offline   Reply With Quote