HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Strategy if I was coach: 3 balanced lines

Old
06-01-2007, 06:27 PM
zenator

vCash: 500
Strategy if I was coach: 3 balanced lines

What does everyone think of my proposed strategy:

Ultimate balanced 3 lines.

Obviously, Anaheim has a great 5 man checking / shut-down unit that our big line can't get anything going against. No room out there + most importantly, none of those guys seem to EVER make mistakes.

I would put all 3 big guns on different lines, so Anaheim wouldn't know who to play the checking unit against, and would split up the line with the D pairing probably.

I'd have each line play the same dump and chase style, as it is the only option we have against the Ducks' great checking.

Each line would have a scorer, a defensive player, and a banger / forechecker.

The hope would be that each unit would get a few chances, and would be better at the dump and chase game. And maybe the grinders would be able to feed a guy with great hands for chances.

Something like:

Schaefer-Fisher-Alfie
Heatley-Vermette-Comrie
Kelly-Spezza-Neil

Saprykin/Eaves-McAmmond-Schubert

Pahlsson would still probably play vs. Spezza, freeing up the other 2 lines for some offense a bit. The hope would be that Spezza would dump it in, Neil + Kelly forecheck, and at least keep it in their zone some of the time.

Complete balanced 3 lines.

Good idea ???

zenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 06:38 PM
Tact

I would do this...

Heatley - Comrie - Alfredsson
Fisher - Spezza - Eaves
Schaefer - Vermette - Neil
Saprykin - McAmmond - Kelly

Tact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 07:10 PM
Lexicon Devil

I would do this:

Heatley - Spezza - Alfredsson

When Carlyle attempts to match lines without last change, it will at the very least take away from their momentum and setting up their trap.

Lexicon Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 07:17 PM
hockeycountry

I understand the theory, but the truth is that this has never worked for us in the past, and I don't see it starting now.

Also, Kelly-Spezza-Neil would be hilariously tragic.

hockeycountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 07:20 PM
senility

Bad as Spezza has been, the guy desperately needs to play with a finisher.

senility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 09:54 PM
Pangu

Because 3 balenced lines worked so well for the decade before this season...

Pangu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 09:59 PM
spoon*

Vermette-Fisher-Alfie
Schaefer-Comrie-Heatley
Kelly-Spezza-Eaves
Saprykin-McAmmond-Neil

spoon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 10:15 PM
OttawaGM

I'd do this:

Heatley - Fisher - Comrie
Vermette - Kelly - Alfredsson

In Anaheim we need to double shift Alfredsson and Heatley on other lines for parts of the game in order to create more offense. This will hinder their ability to line match against the top line and will also open up more room for them when they are together (because the shut down D while be playing almost the whole game).

The other guys can play in their normal spots when we have a lead or when Heatley/Alfredsson need a rest.

Who cares if we over work them? They have at most 5 more games before the end of the year and they just had a 9 day break!

OttawaGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 11:18 PM
moz
Gute Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaGM View Post
I'd do this:

Heatley - Fisher - Comrie
Vermette - Kelly - Alfredsson

In Anaheim we need to double shift Alfredsson and Heatley on other lines for parts of the game in order to create more offense. This will hinder their ability to line match against the top line and will also open up more room for them when they are together (because the shut down D while be playing almost the whole game).

The other guys can play in their normal spots when we have a lead or when Heatley/Alfredsson need a rest.

Who cares if we over work them? They have at most 5 more games before the end of the year and they just had a 9 day break!
I'm surprised Murray's never really double shifted our big guys unless someone gets an injury, because I agree that Heatley and Alfredsson can handle it. Alfie has chemistry with everyone on the team - get him out there with McAmmond, and Fisher and Spezza at varying points in the game - he'll eventually produce with one of them. Heatley's a less dependable guy but at a certain point you just have to throw the reigns to your big guns and make them do it.

06-01-2007, 11:21 PM
Brandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tact View Post
I would do this...

Heatley - Comrie - Alfredsson
Fisher - Spezza - Eaves
Schaefer - Vermette - Neil
Saprykin - McAmmond - Kelly
Eaves on the 2nd line? He's been sorta questionable in regards to his effectiveness since his injury.

And , Its Alfie that usually plays with Fisher in the switch. And they have had some great chemistry in the past.

I don't think I favour those lines all that much

Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 11:27 PM
NCSENSFAN

Quote:
Bad as Spezza has been, the guy desperately needs to play with a finisher.
I disagree, as bad as he has been at least his shots hit the net the one time a game when he shoots. If he knows there is no finisher on his line he might shoot more. 11 has not hit the net to save his life.

NCSENSFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 09:13 AM
OgieO

The balanced lines idea has merit - especially since one of anaheims lines has been so effective at stopping our one big line. We're just not getting any offense from any line right now. Of course, there's also teh idea that it's too early to abandon the best line in hockey and they should be given another game to right the ship. Personally, I'd blend the two ideas...

The most obvious line change is putting Alfie with Fish and Scheaf, if it were me I'd then move Kelly up to replace Alfie. Which would result in this:

Heatley - Spezza - Kelly
Scheafer - Fisher - Alfredson
Vermette - Comrie - Neil (I'd rather Saprykin)
Saprykin - McAmmond - Schubert

Now, while those lines start the game, I'd definately pick some spots to reunite the cash line and get them some shifts together (end of periods & such), and of course, they still have PP time together.

OgieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 01:36 PM
moz
Gute Post

A funny thing - for all the line juggling done, Spezza has never played with anyone but Heatley, except for a two game stretch where he played with Fisher and I can't remember who (Schaefer?) and was completely ineffective.

moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 02:01 PM
rban*

Trouble with the whole concept of balancing lines is, it never really works for the Sens. Last year, we tried putting Alfie on a different line from Sepazza-Heat, and it didn't work cuz it turns out Alfie is incapable of carrying a line by himself. In fact our Big Three only seem to play well when they are on the same line...whihc makes it hard cuz we have no superstar who can carry another line.

I think in the offseason I'd consider trading away people like Eaves, Schaeffer and perhaps Mcammond to free up cash and capspace to get a good center who can carry other lines.

Really it's ridiculous that we are in this position just because the CASH line is not doing well. That's lack of balance for you: when Colorado's Sakic floundered, Forseberg line picked up the slack. When Detroit's Yzeramn had a tough time, Fedorov stepped up.

We have one first line but no second line (three third lines instead). Works fine when CASH is aflame but as soon as they run into problems the whole team founders.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 02:17 PM
pepty

vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by moz View Post
A funny thing - for all the line juggling done, Spezza has never played with anyone but Heatley, except for a two game stretch where he played with Fisher and I can't remember who (Schaefer?) and was completely ineffective.
That's right, for awhile we thought Heatley could only play with Spezza,but as it turned out, Heatley and Alfredsson played very well with whoever.

It is Spezza who seems to suffer when not playing with Heatley or Alfredsson. They seem to best anticipate where his passes might go.

Except for falling down too often, Vermette is playing well and is the Sens best
face off man. I would like to see him play with more offensively gifted players than Kelly and Neil. Maybe its time to put him back with Comrie.

pepty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 02:29 PM
Pangu

I really think that the lines that we have gone with are the best that this team can put out. The PP could use the loss of Comrie, but outside that change I like the lines. This team was skating slowly through the neutral zone, making sloppy passes and not recovering dump ins. That isn't something that line juggling will fix. I think those things may be cured with experience though.

And while the Ducks are throwing out a 5 man juggernot against the top line at the moment, they can spread the love if needed. Switching the lines just gives the Sens an opportunity to ignore the changes that need to be made in their play.

Pangu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 02:38 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

vCash: 966
I think Eaves-Fisher-Alfie should play together with Schaefer on the fourth line.

Heatley-Spezza-Comrie
Vermette-Kelly-Neil
Schaefer-Mcammond-Schubert

Novak Djokovic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 02:46 PM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon Devil View Post
I would do this:

When Carlyle attempts to match lines without last change, it will at the very least take away from their momentum and setting up their trap.
Thank god someone said it.

The only line that has been consistent all playoffs. If you wanna mix up the lines change the second and third neither one of them have produced consistently at all. The third line hasnt scored since the second round.

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 03:02 PM
hockeycountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by moz View Post
Well, when Spezza first came back from injury, he played the first game and a half with Vermette and Eaves, remember? They were even pretty good! Then Murray abandoned that for Fisher and Schaefer for reasons unknown (and they really did suck), and then Spezza and Heatley were reunited.

Like pepty, I'd like to see Vermette and Comrie reunited, if we're juggling anything. At the very least, I'd like to see Vermette get a little more of an offensive role, even if just because he's the only guy who's still been consistent on faceoffs against the Ducks. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure the PP configurations were exactly the same in practice yesterday, so I don't see anything like that happening.

hockeycountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 03:34 PM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeycountry View Post
Well, when Spezza first came back from injury, he played the first game and a half with Vermette and Eaves, remember? They were even pretty good! Then Murray abandoned that for Fisher and Schaefer for reasons unknown (and they really did suck), and then Spezza and Heatley were reunited.

Like pepty, I'd like to see Vermette and Comrie reunited, if we're juggling anything. At the very least, I'd like to see Vermette get a little more of an offensive role, even if just because he's the only guy who's still been consistent on faceoffs against the Ducks. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure the PP configurations were exactly the same in practice yesterday, so I don't see anything like that happening.

Exactly Vermette and Comrie please. Comrie does not play the same style as Fisher im sorry they dont work.

Why not try Comrie Vermette Eaves all offensive players we need some secondary scoring.

Heatley Spezza Alfredsson
Schaefer Fisher Neil/Kelly
Comrie Vermette Eaves
Schubert/Saprykin McCammond Kelly/Neil

This is what I want to see.

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 03:57 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
Exactly Vermette and Comrie please. Comrie does not play the same style as Fisher im sorry they dont work.

Why not try Comrie Vermette Eaves all offensive players we need some secondary scoring.

Heatley Spezza Alfredsson
Schaefer Fisher Neil/Kelly
Comrie Vermette Eaves
Schubert/Saprykin McCammond Kelly/Neil

This is what I want to see.
I don't think Eaves will get in, but I'd like to see Saprykin with Vermette and Comrie. Saprykin was great on the forecheck last game because of his speed, and I think Murray needs to take advantage of it more. The 4th line was, unfortunately, our best line last game.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 04:00 PM
moz
Gute Post

Speaking of Vermette and actually allowing him to prosper offensively, he should be our fifth man on the 5 on 3s.

moz is offline   Reply With Quote