HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Gonchar for Norr... I mean Art Ross!

Closed Thread

Old
12-24-2003, 05:06 PM
I_r_1337

vCash: 500
Gonchar for Norr... I mean Art Ross!

Haha Gonchar is crushing everyone else in terms of points among D-men and is pretty high up in total points.. 35 points(in 35 games)..league leader is 44(Lang!). He's also leading the league in assist. If Gonchar starts dropping some more goals and continues with his assist..Could it happen? I know it's not likely but even so..would be incredible.

Old
12-24-2003, 05:17 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Not a chance in hell. Aside from the fact that he simply won't outscore guys like Kovalchuk, any time Gonchar is piling up points Lang and Jagr will also be registering on the scoresheet, and so they will probably both finish ahead of him in scoring.

Old
12-24-2003, 05:18 PM
Mizral

As far as I know, only one defenseman has ever won the Art Ross trophy. Bobby Orr.

Soothe to say, Gonchar won't win it.

(Any really, really old-timers out there might know this, but did Art Ross himself play defense?)

Old
12-24-2003, 05:29 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
As far as I know, only one defenseman has ever won the Art Ross trophy. Bobby Orr.

(Any really, really old-timers out there might know this, but did Art Ross himself play defense?)
Soothe? What does that mean? I'm serious. I've never heard that before.

Old
12-24-2003, 05:40 PM
Arastiroth

Quote:

Well, according to hockeydb.com he only played 3 games for the Montreal Wanderers (doesn't say what position), but coached the Bruins for 20 years. Also to note, the Montreal Wanderers only played 4 games that year (I believe remembering something like their rink had a fire or something).

From that it seems like he would've been known as a coach instead of a player. I know that doesn't answer your question, but I wouldn't know where else (credible) to look, really.

Old
12-24-2003, 05:48 PM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
Gonchar could very well be the first defenseman to have an 80 point season since Zubov with the Rangers (am I wrong about this?). In such a low scoring time, and on such a weak defensive team, suffice it to say that Gonchar scoring a point per game is almost as impressive as an Art Ross trophy.

And BTW, if Gonchar were in Detroit or Toronto, he would most definitely win the Norris this season. He has been absolutely stellar--positionally sound, one of the most shrewd stick-checkers in the league and of course there's that 35 points. He really hasn't made any boneheaded plays like in the past. Combine all this with the fact that he's played a large chunk of the season with either Kwiatkowski, Eminger or Boumedienne.

And he's only getting better

Old
12-24-2003, 05:56 PM
Lobstertainment

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface
They have the Richard trophy for the player that scores the most goals.
Then the art ross for best player, the selke for i believe best defensive player (forward).

It's time the NHL brought in another trophy for the defensemen. Keep the Norris Trophy for the best overall defensemen. But add another like the Bobby Orr Trophy for the best offensive defensemen, then another one for the best defensive defensemen.

Then it's easier to pick who should get what out of the defensemen.

Bobby Orr Trophy: Gonchar
Norris Trophy: I dunno, Blake or Lidstrom (who cares)
Defensive Defensemen: Stevens would be the type of candidate for this thing.

Just a thought, cuz for the NHL you have one for defensive player, then for goals then for overall play....makes sense to do that for defensemen as i think some defensemen deserve more credit than they are getting.

As for goalies...i dunno someone else can touch on that topic, i don't think the Vezina is enough.
they have 2 trophies for the Goalies, the Best Goalie overal- Vezina and Goalie with least Goals Against for his team William M. Jennings Trophy.

the Art ross isn't Best Player that's the heart Trophy the Art Ross is just Scoring Champion. unless you ment best as in points.

Old
12-24-2003, 06:05 PM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
Quote:
Well Gonchar is the only guy on the back end that has a good pass and shot, so i am not suprised this guy is doing good, i think he is a good defensemen, one helluva powerplay qb. I also agree about the going to Detroit thing...i think Lidstrom is really overrated.
Lidstrom is one of the smartest hockey players ever, period. He can dissect and analyze the play like no defenseman I've ever seen. Now by his standards, yes, he's having a bit of an off season, but is still clearly having one of the best defensemen in the NHL this season.

Old
12-24-2003, 08:11 PM
meehan

Send a message via ICQ to meehan Send a message via AIM to meehan Send a message via MSN to meehan Send a message via Yahoo to meehan Send a message via Skype™ to meehan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJTOM
they have 2 trophies for the Goalies, the Best Goalie overal- Vezina and Goalie with least Goals Against for his team William M. Jennings Trophy.
Actually they have 3 goalie trophies. The "saving grace" trophy for the goalie with the best save percentage.

Old
12-24-2003, 10:29 PM
FanSince2014
What'd He Say?

Maybe Souray has a chance to win the Rocket Richard trophy.

Old
12-24-2003, 10:46 PM
kruezer

Quote:

I'm not an old timer, but I'm about 90% certain that Art Ross was a forward.....He played most of the time with the Kenora Thistles (pre-nhl) and was dominant offensively, though from all reports their actually were other guys with just as much offense as him, but he got the trophy named after him.

Old
12-24-2003, 11:45 PM
evman150*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer
He played most of the time with the Kenora Thistles (pre-nhl) and was dominant offensively
Please, please - To be totally correct I believe it would be the Rat Portage Thistles.

Actually, now that I think of it, maybe the name change was before the hockey team..?

No wonder they changed the city's name though. Rat Portage....ugh. Not as bad as "Pile of Bones" though. Nic30 will know what I'm talking about.

:p

Old
12-25-2003, 01:13 AM
cws
...in the drink

Quote:
Well Gonchar is the only guy on the back end that has a good pass and shot, so i am not suprised this guy is doing good, i think he is a good defensemen, one helluva powerplay qb. I also agree about the going to Detroit thing...i think Lidstrom is really overrated.
Bonzai already said this, but I have to back it up.

I am not, ever have been or ever will be a fan of the Wings. But I have to give credit where credit is due. And Lidstrom most definitely deserves that credit.

This year, no, it isn't what a typical Lidstrom year would be like, at least up to this point. But by the time the regular season is done, his numbers will look pretty good for any Dman. Regardless, he is a special player, has qualities about him that you just can't teach. I don't think that I'm going out on a limb here (though some might think it). But his contribution to the team, overall, is one of the biggest reasons why the Wings are successful. I know they always seem to have a handful of Hall-of-Fame players, but Lidstrom's play echoes throughout the whole team. Detroit fans, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Hell, I hate Detroit, with a fiery passion. In spades, to the nth degreee; however you want to put it. But you can't ignore talent, and Lidstrom will always have that.

Old
12-25-2003, 08:59 AM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
I dont think there is much of a shot at Gonchar taking the Norris. Unless a lot of the guys ahead of him have injury problems. Though I am impressed that he is tied in points with Bertuzzi, Sundin, Hossa and Tangauy.

Old
12-25-2003, 08:48 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evman150
Please, please - To be totally correct I believe it would be the Rat Portage Thistles.

Actually, now that I think of it, maybe the name change was before the hockey team..?

No wonder they changed the city's name though. Rat Portage....ugh. Not as bad as "Pile of Bones" though. Nic30 will know what I'm talking about.

:p
Hmmmm....I think it was both come to think of it, didn't the name change early in the 20th century? Oh well.

Closed Thread