HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Montoya find his way to Phoenix?

Old
06-02-2007, 11:58 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan82 View Post
Is Mueller that good, or is it the #3 that will take that much???
both, combined with Hollweg and Immonen being worth very little

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2007, 12:03 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
immonen has very little value, and personally i have to believe mueller is worth substantially more than this years #3.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2007, 12:10 AM
JayMan82

What do you think Montoya and #17 can fetch us from PHO???

JayMan82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2007, 12:25 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan82 View Post
What do you think Montoya and #17 can fetch us from PHO???
not really sure, but id rather keep the 17, take a chance on espo (if he falls that low) and trade monty straight up for #3 and grab JVR

Old
06-03-2007, 03:08 AM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

What is it with people putting in players like Hollweg, Immonen, Rachunek, and Malik in proposals? These players have little or no value at all.

Hollweg is a marginal NHL'er with no potential, really belongs in the minor leagues.

Immonen's window is closing quickly.

Rachunek and Malik both suck and are heavily overpaid. They should be lucky to be getting a bag of used pucks for their lack of service. Anyone who thinks that Malik's +/- is going to boost his value is sadly mistaken. All a gm needs to do is watch tape of the uncountable amount of defensive gaffes he made in the playoffs, nevermind the regular season.

Today's Lesson: You Have To Give To Get.

Montoya, the 17th overall, and Hollweg will not get you Sjostrom, Mueller, and the 3rd overall... and a package of Immonen, Rachunek, Hollweg, and Malik will not get you anything more than a bad rub from a cheap hooker.

No one wants our garbage in exchange for their quality assets. *Would you want someone else's garbage in exchange for players like Staal, Lundqvist, Sanguinetti, Callahan, etc.?

Last edited by The Amity Affliction: 06-03-2007 at 03:13 AM. Reason: *
The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2007, 03:47 AM
XX
He's a good guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Yup, agree with you as well.
Uhuh.

No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99 View Post
What is it with people putting in players like Hollweg, Immonen, Rachunek, and Malik in proposals? These players have little or no value at all.

Hollweg is a marginal NHL'er with no potential, really belongs in the minor leagues.

Rachunek and Malik both suck and are heavily overpaid. They should be lucky to be getting a bag of used pucks for their lack of service. Anyone who thinks that Malik's +/- is going to boost his value is sadly mistaken. All a gm needs to do is watch tape of the uncountable amount of defensive gaffes he made in the playoffs, nevermind the regular season.

Montoya, the 17th overall, and Hollweg will not get you Sjostrom, Mueller, and the 3rd overall... and a package of Immonen, Rachunek, Hollweg, and Malik will not get you anything more than a bad rub from a cheap hooker.

No one wants our garbage in exchange for their quality assets. *Would you want someone else's garbage in exchange for players like Staal, Lundqvist, Sanguinetti, Callahan, etc.?
Thank you.

Guys, just because someone drafts a player, doesn't mean they can't go sour on them over time. That, combined with the fact that all of the Coyotes young players and its #3 pick are off limits entirely, means no trade will happen. I wouldn't even give you the 21st overall for Montoya. We've gone over this before. I could offer you a LeNeveu + Spiller for Montoya swap, but you'd laugh. Theres no trade here between the teams that I can see.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2007, 05:27 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX View Post
Uhuh.

No.

Thank you.

Guys, just because someone drafts a player, doesn't mean they can't go sour on them over time. That, combined with the fact that all of the Coyotes young players and its #3 pick are off limits entirely, means no trade will happen. I wouldn't even give you the 21st overall for Montoya. We've gone over this before. I could offer you a LeNeveu + Spiller for Montoya swap, but you'd laugh. Theres no trade here between the teams that I can see.
You can keep that offer

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2007, 05:31 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

There are other teams which could target Montoya-Florida(wanted to draft him in 04 instead of Olesz.Montoya went one pick before) and Chicago(Montoya's hometown team and had interest in him last summer).Maybe Edmonton and/or Colorado

Old
06-03-2007, 06:20 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX View Post
Uhuh.

No.

Thank you.

Fortunately, Maloney has taken over as the GM, and not you. Ranger fans went through this scenario when Sather took over. We were all certain that the likes of Brendl, Lundmark and Malhotra were going nowhere. To make presumptions that anything is set in stone once a new GM takes over is rather foolish. And, right now, very few people, aside from Coyote fans, would take LeNeveu over Montoya. Will Maloney give up the 3rd pick for Montoya? Possibly. Rangers fans have surmised this because all Montoya has done is progress steadily from being a goalie drafted out of college to a goalie who might be ready for backup duty in the NHL next year. He has his critics, but most observers see him as one of the top 3 goalie prospects not in the NHL right now, and a #1 goalie in the future. The question remains does Maloney feel compelled to give up the 3rd pick in the upcoming draft to get him. If Maloney is going to stay true to his philosophy, (which he has re-emphasized upon taking the Coyotes' job), that he will build from the goalie position out, given his faith in Montoya, (which I have yet to read as anything as positive), trading for Montoya is a reasonable expectation, regardless of how you feel as a Coyote fan.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2007, 07:30 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

I'm no fan of Malik but he does have value around the league...His contract is not off base for what veteran #4-#6 defensemen are paid....

The guy is good 90% of the time....The other 10% is what get him in trouble...To use Karl Rachunek as a comp for Marek Malik is like comparing a Condo in Garden City to a split level in Roosevelt....you just wouldn't do it..

Last edited by Son of Steinbrenner: 06-03-2007 at 07:35 AM.
Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2007, 11:16 AM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
The Yotes would laugh at that proposal.
They should... that proposal is awful.

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2007, 11:30 AM
xander

seeing as the origional rumour was: Montoya + for #3 overall, I'd say a few of you are going a bit overboard with the Mueller talk (Mueller is worth signifigantly more than the #3 pik IMO.)

I would consider #3 straight up for Montoya, but I'm not sure if I'd pull the trigger or not. I just don't know enough about the top of this draft class.

Personally, I don't think that the first thing Don wants to do as GM is pull a controversial deal with his old team.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2007, 12:00 PM
ducky

Phoenix is truly rebuilding - according to new GM Maloney, who has had some terrific interviews in the phoenix media btw.

It makes no sense to trade their highest ever pick (#3) and the highest ranked prospect they have had in ages (Mueller)...certainly not when the main return is a prospect goalie (albeit a very good prospect).

I would like to see a trade for Montoya. I see it more likely to be a package of Phoenix players/prospects that fill a need in New York rather than a highly coveted pick/prospect.

I am not sure what roster player in Phoenix could fill a need on the Rangers? An upgrade in defense maybe (say Derek Morris)? A big, 3rd line centre (Scatchard - injury concerns, though, so not likely to be traded)? Oh, and we have a roster full of 4th line guys if you want some of them!

With a defenseman involved, I could see taking back Malik to offset salary concerns.

eg. Morris, Leneveau/Tellqvist and a mid round pick for Montoya and Malik

ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2007, 12:01 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
Personally, I don't think that the first thing Don wants to do as GM is pull a controversial deal with his old team.
Smartest thing said in this entire thread.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2007, 12:20 PM
Diehardfan419

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky View Post
Phoenix is truly rebuilding - according to new GM Maloney, who has had some terrific interviews in the phoenix media btw.

It makes no sense to trade their highest ever pick (#3) and the highest ranked prospect they have had in ages (Mueller)...certainly not when the main return is a prospect goalie (albeit a very good prospect).

I would like to see a trade for Montoya. I see it more likely to be a package of Phoenix players/prospects that fill a need in New York rather than a highly coveted pick/prospect.

I am not sure what roster player in Phoenix could fill a need on the Rangers? An upgrade in defense maybe (say Derek Morris)? A big, 3rd line centre (Scatchard - injury concerns, though, so not likely to be traded)? Oh, and we have a roster full of 4th line guys if you want some of them!
With a defenseman involved, I could see taking back Malik to offset salary concerns.

eg. Morris, Leneveau/Tellqvist and a mid round pick for Montoya and Malik
I hope that proposal was a joke

Diehardfan419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2007, 12:45 PM
ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehardfan419 View Post
I hope that proposal was a joke
Offering Morris was purely speculative (aren't all fan proposals?) as I do not know "what roster player in Phoenix could fill a need on the Rangers?".

Reading thru the thread, Malik was called "useless", "overpaid" among other things. To be clear, I had meant the Rangers giving up Malik as cap relief, if they needed it.

In giving up a young goalie in Montoya I believed you may want a goalie back. So I also suggested LeNeveau (who is not a bad goalie prospect) or Tellqvist, who may be an ideal backup to your star netminder.

And a mid round pick (which is a 4th? A 3rd?).

Totally offbase? A number 3/4 dman, a young goaile with NHL experience, and a decent pick for very good goalie prospect.

So I will rephrase...

What roster player(s) or prospects could fill a need on the Rangers that you would consider trading Montoya for?

Montoya (IMO) will not get you Doan, Michalek, Ballard, Mueller, or the number 3 overall. Phoenix needs to establish a core group of players and these guys should all be a part of it.

Last edited by ducky: 06-03-2007 at 12:46 PM. Reason: can't type
Old
06-03-2007, 01:10 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Offering Morris was purely speculative (aren't all fan proposals?) as I do not know "what roster player in Phoenix could fill a need on the Rangers?".

Reading thru the thread, Malik was called "useless", "overpaid" among other things. To be clear, I had meant the Rangers giving up Malik as cap relief, if they needed it.

In giving up a young goalie in Montoya I believed you may want a goalie back. So I also suggested LeNeveau (who is not a bad goalie prospect) or Tellqvist, who may be an ideal backup to your star netminder.

Totally offbase? A number 3/4 dman, a young goaile with NHL experience, and a decent pick for very good goalie prospect.

So I will rephrase...

What roster player(s) or prospects could fill a need on the Rangers that you would consider trading Montoya for?

Montoya (IMO) will not get you Doan, Michalek, Ballard, Mueller, or the number 3 overall. Phoenix needs to establish a core group of players and these guys should all be a part of it.
So the Rangers are taking on Morris with two years remaining at nearly $8 million who is overrated and overpaid.The Rangers more flexible options available for them on defense than having Morris occupy a roster spot for the next two seasons which is what he will be doing

The Rangers don't need the cap relief.If they have to make room,they will send Malik to the AHL

Just ask Maloney who said last September,the Rangers has no qualms with sending down NHL players to the AHL to clear cap space

Old
06-03-2007, 01:24 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Just ask Maloney who said last September,the Rangers has no qualms with sending down NHL players to the AHL to clear cap space
They have said it every year since Sather announced that Hartford can be a millionaires club. However, only Kasper and Ozolinsh have been sent down. And their play was simply that bad. One thing Malik is in absolutely no danger of, is seeing the light of day from Harftord.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2007, 01:38 PM
bagh

I agree with xander and bobbop on the bit about Maloney trading for Montoya. i'd rather wait until the trade deadline to trade montoya.

@ ducky

dude, no offence, but aside from the #3 pick and Mueller, I doubt you've got anyone worth having. I mean you haven't signed or drafted well for years.

bagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2007, 01:48 PM
ThirdEye

If anything, we have only things to gain with Montoya. If Phoenix is not will to give up any top prospects or picks then we get get them elsewhere some other time. There are plenty of teams with goalie problems, so eventually something will be worked out, and I think most of us will be happy.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2007, 01:59 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:

So I will rephrase...

i just want to make sure were clear on this...

you wouldnt even think about trading the #3 pick, which is an unknown commodity, for a former #6 pick, who has progressed every year, and has #1 goalie written all over him and is what....22...23 years old?

if so, all i can say is.....

Old
06-03-2007, 03:34 PM
ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagh View Post

@ ducky

dude, no offence, but aside from the #3 pick and Mueller, I doubt you've got anyone worth having. I mean you haven't signed or drafted well for years.
No offense taken - though I think we have drafted quite well the past 2 or 3 years (*with the Wheeler pick still a huge ?) and we probably have a few NHL players that could crack the Rangers lineup.

Like most fans, I suppose, I have little knowledge of prospects or needs from teams I don't follow closely ( other than reading hf and the Hockey News). That is why I asked.

My suggesting Morris was more because his name is bandied about frequently on Phoenix boards as a guy we will trade, not that you need his type of player (regardless if you think he is overpaid).

If you are only interested in top prospects in return for Montoya then I doubt a deal would be reached.

And inferno...

Phoenix trading for Montoya makes sense for the Coyotes but not at the expense of the young core they are building.

No, I would not trade the #3 (straight up) for an unproven goalie. He looks like he should be a number one soon. But many a prospect, especially at the goalie position, have not lived up to their billing once they get to the NHL.

Just look at Raycroft. And he won a Calder!

Old
06-03-2007, 03:35 PM
Theoren Fan

Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
And why is everbody so against at least giving some time to Montoya before we package him up with Malik and Hollweg for whatever we can get? For all we know, Montoya bumps Henrik and wins the Vezina in his rookie season and we're talking about what we can get for Lundqvist...

Theoren Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2007, 03:40 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
No offense taken - though I think we have drafted quite well the past 2 or 3 years (*with the Wheeler pick still a huge ?) and we probably have a few NHL players that could crack the Rangers lineup.

Like most fans, I suppose, I have little knowledge of prospects or needs from teams I don't follow closely ( other than reading hf and the Hockey News). That is why I asked.

My suggesting Morris was more because his name is bandied about frequently on Phoenix boards as a guy we will trade, not that you need his type of player (regardless if you think he is overpaid).

If you are only interested in top prospects in return for Montoya then I doubt a deal would be reached.

And inferno...

Phoenix trading for Montoya makes sense for the Coyotes but not at the expense of the young core they are building.

No, I would not trade the #3 (straight up) for an unproven goalie. He looks like he should be a number one soon. But many a prospect, especially at the goalie position, have not lived up to their billing once they get to the NHL.

Just look at Raycroft. And he won a Calder!
i just.....want.....i mean......

AARRGGHHH

ok, so youre saying, you wouldnt trade a DRAFT PICK, for an existing young star in the making? one who is already just about NHL ready, and has progressed from "unproven" draft pick, to "proven" ahl allstar??

just think about that.

a draft pick has FAR more risk involved with it than an existing star ahler who everyone worth his salt has said is going to be an nhl goalie.

the ONLY reason the Rangers are looking to trade the kid is because we have a franchise young goalie already. if Henrik was say....32 or so, my guess is HE would be the one moved, and Monty brought up. or at the very least monty would be the backup to Henrik and waiting to take over.

ive gotta ask other people....is ducky not making sense to anyone else? or is it just me???

Old
06-03-2007, 03:40 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99 View Post

Dupuis for Bourret? I bet if this was posted on here before the deadline we would have gotten another one of ur ranting posts.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote