HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nylander hires new agent,will meet Sather in Columbus

Closed Thread

Old
06-11-2007, 10:38 AM
94now

vCash: 500
Sather was just doing his job. There is no base to blame him.

Nyls will be signed by NYR, but after 07/01. Although Sather needs him more than otherwise, there's little fun in moving from team to team like Nylander has done before. Other clubs could be skeptical about Nyls numbers since they were obtained with JJ.

Old
06-11-2007, 11:35 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Bottom line here. Rangers want Nylander signed and IMO they should sign him even if its a little more than they had panned for.

Can't blame Nyls for testing the market, especially after his ********* agent did what he did behind his back. Listen, if you are a veteran player and have had your best 2 seasons of your career you'll want whats coming to you. I don't blame Nylander one bit for wanting to test the market and that has no direct indication of his loyalty either. If everyone here ahd a chance to settle for less money at their job or have 20 other employers make offers to them i'm sure they'd entertain the latter.

Old
06-11-2007, 12:32 PM
hdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Sather was just doing his job. There is no base to blame him.

Nyls will be signed by NYR, but after 07/01. Although Sather needs him more than otherwise, there's little fun in moving from team to team like Nylander has done before. Other clubs could be skeptical about Nyls numbers since they were obtained with JJ.
Yeah, I agree fully with this.

Can't be that funny to move around the US and Canada with wife and 6 kids (or is it 7 now?).
And his best fit is with Rangers, no doubt.

I think he'll sign a contract similar to the one mentioned, but with a different agent.

Old
06-11-2007, 01:03 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Barnbay thought he could right his ticket back to the Rangers. He was wrong.
He was trying to get the best of both worlds, money & the team. He got a lucrative deal from Chicago and immediately called the Rangers asking to match it. Unfortunately for Matt, the Rangers declined.

He wanted to play for the Rangers, but wasn't willing to give up any money to do so.

Old
06-11-2007, 01:14 PM
Jeds2StepOpus

See ya' Nylander.........ariva' turkey!

Old
06-11-2007, 02:52 PM
mstraka82

i am sick of this so what nylander canned his agent i would do the same if i was in his position. He is a great player but come on two years is enough, jagr isnt going to be playing for that long and if it wasnt for jags he wouldnt be putting up those numbers. So if he wants to take his wife and 6 kids and go somewhere else, not like it there, have a bad year, and not make the playoffs good for him may he have a great time enjoying his millions of dollars and has to retire due to him not being a success so be it and where ever he goes i think he will not get the goals or passes he wants so GOODBYE my favorite player nylander, i just wish he would stay i hope so

Old
06-11-2007, 03:22 PM
hdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstraka82 View Post
i am sick of this so what nylander canned his agent i would do the same if i was in his position. He is a great player but come on two years is enough, jagr isnt going to be playing for that long and if it wasnt for jags he wouldnt be putting up those numbers. So if he wants to take his wife and 6 kids and go somewhere else, not like it there, have a bad year, and not make the playoffs good for him may he have a great time enjoying his millions of dollars and has to retire due to him not being a success so be it and where ever he goes i think he will not get the goals or passes he wants so GOODBYE my favorite player nylander, i just wish he would stay i hope so
This is actually one of the least parseable posts I've seen for some time now. Except for very late, and drunk, GDT posts.

Have you ever pondered punctuation and paragraphs?

But rest assured.
Either he gets a good contract, or he doesn't.

Old
06-11-2007, 05:26 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdw View Post
Read the paragraph just before your quote:

Which is the same information as given all the time since he continues with "he apparently dumped his agent and told Sather he would test the free agent waters.

So he assumes that Nylander is miffed with Sather.

The facts in this mess is that Nyls and his agent was negotiating a new contract in april-may. But when it dragged on too long Nyls told his agent to stop until the hockey was done because he wanted to focus on the playoff, not on contract details.

As reported in NY Post on May 9

The next fact is that Nyls then fired his agent for continuing the contract talks anyway behind his back.
So he would need a new agent before the talks could continue.

All the talk of Nyls being miffed with Sather, with Rangers or with contract details are all assumptions made by various writers (and posters).

I'm not saying that he isn't miffed with Sather, Rangers or the contract. Just that there's no facts to back that up, just assumptions.
Read what I quoted again--according to this writer Nylander not only dumped his agent, he told Sather he was going to test the free agent market before signing a contract. If the writer is correct, it certainly could be inferred that Nylander is pissed with Sather too--perhaps for seriously undervaluing his services. And that is not something that Larry Brooks said in the article you cite--in fact, Larry Brooks says that contracts talks between Nylander and the Rangers would probably resume in the next week (that is in the middle of May). Even the article from the beginning of June from the Post that started this thread, doesn't say anything about Nylander resuming talks with the organization with or without a new agent.

Sounds like somesome is seriously reconsidering his options. No more home town discount, making it easier to go out and sign another center (none of whom had more points than Nylander last season and none of them with a track record of playing so successfully with your most important player). Regardless of who is at fault (the agent or Sather) their actions have created this mess.

But, of course, these are all assumptions. That's what gets printed this time of year. Time will tell who was making the correct assumption.

Old
06-11-2007, 05:29 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
He was trying to get the best of both worlds, money & the team. He got a lucrative deal from Chicago and immediately called the Rangers asking to match it. Unfortunately for Matt, the Rangers declined.

He wanted to play for the Rangers, but wasn't willing to give up any money to do so.
It wasn't money that was problem, it was the length of the contract. Chicago offered Barnaby a three year contract, the Ragners weren't willing to match the length.

Old
06-11-2007, 05:37 PM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstraka82 View Post
he wants to come back to the rangers, he just wants more oney. He had the best two yaers of his career, so Sather should milk it for all its worth, at least one more year

Old
06-11-2007, 05:38 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Looks like Nylander is looking to pull a Barnaby.
Actually, we don't know yet. We don't know if the problem for Nylander is the money or the length of the contract his former agent and Sather worked out. If it's money, then it's rather different from the Barnaby situation, since that was about the length of the contract Chicago was willing to give Barnaby.

Old
06-11-2007, 05:43 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Actually, we don't know yet. We don't know if the problem for Nylander is the money or the length of the contract his former agent and Sather worked out. If it's money, then it's rather different from the Barnaby situation, since that was about the length of the contract Chicago was willing to give Barnaby.
That's all true. But there have been too many times in recent times where a contract with a player makes too much sense only to see it not happen (Messier and Barnaby come to mind).

06-11-2007, 05:58 PM
hdw

Quote:
Read what I quoted again--according to this writer Nylander not only dumped his agent, he told Sather he was going to test the free agent market before signing a contract.
Nope, he states "according to hockey buzz ... it appears that".
Then he repeats the fact that Nyls fired his agent but adds "and told Sather he would test the market"

Quote:
If the writer is correct, it certainly could be inferred that Nylander is pissed with Sather too--perhaps for seriously undervaluing his services.
I'm not saying that he is wrong. Just that he is assuming a bit more than known actual facts back up.

Writers are payed to write intresting texts, but they don't want to get caught with their pants down being dead wrong.

So when writers starts to use 'assumes', 'it appears', 'looks like' and such it's time to step back and ponder if he actually knows, or if it's a wild guess that will make his text more intresting.

Quote:
And that is not something that Larry Brooks said in the article you cite--in fact, Larry Brooks says that contracts talks between Nylander and the Rangers would probably resume in the next week (that is in the middle of May). Even the article from the beginning of June from the Post that started this thread, doesn't say anything about Nylander resuming talks with the organization with or without a new agent.
No, but it states that Nyls, his agent and Rangers decided to postphone the talks until later.

But his agent continued the talks anyway.

So the agent was fired for going behind Nyls' back.

And he's not going to start new talks until he has a new agent (you don't enter this kind of talks without pro advice).

Quote:
Sounds like somesome is seriously reconsidering his options. No more home town discount, making it easier to go out and sign another center (none of whom had more points than Nylander last season and none of them with a track record of playing so successfully with your most important player). Regardless of who is at fault (the agent or Sather) their actions have created this mess.

But, of course, these are all assumptions. That's what gets printed this time of year. Time will tell who was making the correct assumption.
Oh yes.
It is what's get printed.
But that doesn't mean that we'll believe what they print.
We know that they are short on hockey stories to write, so we should also take anything they write with a pinch of salt.

We all make our assumptions and guesses (we're fans, we wouldn't be if we didn't), but we should be aware of the sources and their assumptions and guesses. So we don't base our's on theirs.

Old
06-11-2007, 06:11 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdw View Post
Nope, he states "according to hockey buzz ... it appears that".
Then he repeats the fact that Nyls fired his agent but adds "and told Sather he would test the market"

I'm not saying that he is wrong. Just that he is assuming a bit more than known actual facts back up.

Writers are payed to write intresting texts, but they don't want to get caught with their pants down being dead wrong.

So when writers starts to use 'assumes', 'it appears', 'looks like' and such it's time to step back and ponder if he actually knows, or if it's a wild guess that will make his text more intresting.

No, but it states that Nyls, his agent and Rangers decided to postphone the talks until later.

But his agent continued the talks anyway.

So the agent was fired for going behind Nyls' back.

And he's not going to start new talks until he has a new agent (you don't enter this kind of talks without pro advice).

Oh yes.
It is what's get printed.
But that doesn't mean that we'll believe what they print.
We know that they are short on hockey stories to write, so we should also take anything they write with a pinch of salt.

We all make our assumptions and guesses (we're fans, we wouldn't be if we didn't), but we should be aware of the sources and their assumptions and guesses. So we don't base our's on theirs.
Whatever, parse the tea leaves any way you want. But, the price, and hassle factor just went up incredibly. I think that's an assumption we can all live with.

Old
06-11-2007, 06:31 PM
hdw

Quote:
Whatever, parse the tea leaves any way you want. But, the price, and hassle factor just went up incredibly. I think that's an assumption we can all live with.
I always parse 'em my way

The hassle factor for sure, not so sure about the price.

Old
06-13-2007, 01:18 PM
John Torturella

Lets just say we DONT sign Nylander

What would your plans be? Im not saying we wont but if that happens, which I think is quite possible, what do we do? In my opinion we have to sign Nylander no matter what. If we dont sign him and we dont get a center like Drury or Briere or Gomez, this team could have trouble. So what do we do?

Old
06-13-2007, 01:19 PM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

Quote:
Originally Posted by motime42 View Post
What would your plans be? Im not saying we wont but if that happens, which I think is quite possible, what do we do? In my opinion we have to sign Nylander no matter what. If we dont sign him and we dont get a center like Drury or Briere or Gomez, this team could have trouble. So what do we do?
of couse we will sign him again. He just had the best years of his career, and sather will use every bit of it to win the cup.

Old
06-13-2007, 01:22 PM
McRanger

Sign Drury, moves Straka to Jagr center. If Dubinsky shows hes ready, move Straka back to the wing. Assuming Shanahan resigns:

Hossa-Straka-Jagr
Shanahan-Drury-Prucha
Callahan-Cullen-Avery

Straka-Dubinsky/Drury-Jagr
Shanahan-Dubinsky/Drury-Prucha
Callahan-Cullen-Avery

Cullen can also be switched wing if necessary, but id leave him at 3 line C, and if Shanahan slows down you can always switch Callahan, Avery or Dawes up to the 2nd line.

Old
06-13-2007, 01:29 PM
Mirinho

If we don't sign Nylander, JJ will not be happy

Last edited by Mirinho: 06-13-2007 at 01:39 PM.
Old
06-13-2007, 01:33 PM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirinho View Post
If we don't sign Nylander, JJ will not be happy
how is that funny? thats sad they work really good together

Old
06-13-2007, 01:35 PM
94now

Why don't you start a thread " What if Sather ran over by dump truck?" ?

Old
06-13-2007, 01:38 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by motime42 View Post
he's not going anywhere, he knows without Jagr, he's a mediocre player. Jagr just made Nylander a ton of money from Dolan..period.

Old
Mirinho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan43 View Post
how is that funny? thats sad they work really good together

Sorry bad smile, I edited it

Old
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Why don't you start a thread " What if Sather ran over by dump truck?" ?
is that supose to be funny? sather has done a good job.

Old
06-13-2007, 01:48 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan43 View Post
is that supose to be funny? sather has done a good job.
I laughed... It would be typical of an off season thread.

Closed Thread