HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jagr interview in czech newspaper

Old
06-04-2007, 04:50 AM
Madik77

vCash: 500
Jagr interview in czech newspaper

Hello, if anyone is interested here is an interview with Jagr for one czech newspaper, or their www part.

http://hokej.idnes.cz/jagr-olympiada...182922_nhl_cig

For those who does not speak czech i will try to do a short summary

- At the beginning there is question about the possibility to play on the Olympic games in 2010. Jagr sees this indistinctly.

- Intersting question is about the contract in NYR. Jagr says: "I take it as this is my last season in NYR. If NYR uses the option then I am going to stay but I am preparing for the season as it is my last one."

- Jagr is talking about his shoulder. He says that it limited him almost the whole season, till one month before playoff. Now he feels completely healthy but he wants to work hard on the upper body during the summer.

- He is talking about his role on the ice and other (older) player´s role in the lockerroom.

- There is a question about his flavour for training and the answer is interesting. He says: "The flavour is always. You believe that you can achieve success before every season. And if NYR sign some players who they should, than we are going to be far stronger."

- He says that the most important thing is to sign Nylader. He says that NYR wants one D and one F in the middle between Shanny and Avery. Jagr mentioned Gomez, Drury or Briere. Also Jagr does not know if Shanny stays but he think that he must stay in NYR.

Sorry for my english I hope that it is understandable.

Tom

Madik77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2007, 08:24 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madik77 View Post
Hello, if anyone is interested here is an interview with Jagr for one czech newspaper, or their www part.

- At the beginning there is question about the possibility to play on the Olympic games in 2010. Jagr sees this indistinctly.

- Intersting question is about the contract in NYR. Jagr says: "I take it as this is my last season in NYR. If NYR uses the option then I am going to stay but I am preparing for the season as it is my last one."

- Jagr is talking about his shoulder. He says that it limited him almost the whole season, till one month before playoff. Now he feels completely healthy but he wants to work hard on the upper body during the summer.

- He is talking about his role on the ice and other (older) player´s role in the lockerroom.

- There is a question about his flavour for training and the answer is interesting. He says: "The flavour is always. You believe that you can achieve success before every season. And if NYR sign some players who they should, than we are going to be far stronger."

- He says that the most important thing is to sign Nylader. He says that NYR wants one D and one F in the middle between Shanny and Avery. Jagr mentioned Gomez, Drury or Briere. Also Jagr does not know if Shanny stays but he think that he must stay in NYR.

Tom
Great job Tom! Thanks.

06-04-2007, 08:30 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

sounds good to me .

I think the Rangers would be dumb not to take the option. He'll be here for two more years. Nylander will probably be signed for two years as well.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2007, 08:32 AM
Levitate

Signing a 2nd line center certainly makes sense...but again, I can't help but think that if they sign Nylander again (probably for multiple years), a FA (again, for multiple years) and still have Cullen under contract for several years...a guy like Dubinsky is effed.

Where is he going to play? He's gonna be buried for years, unless the Rangers either switch Cullen to wing (debatable on whether or not they'd actually do that...they didn't seem to like it too much) or trade him.

Maybe I worry about this too much, but I'd like to see a center the Rangers develop actually make an impact.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2007, 08:40 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I hear ya. I think Dubinsky has 2nd line potential and if he is set to rot on the 4th line or in Hartford for two years it's gonna hurt.

Old
06-04-2007, 09:00 AM
NYROrtsFan

Did a great job.

And he basically said what we have all thought for a bit.

And Lev, i don't think Dubinsky would be all that buried. Another year and someone like Cullen is tradeable. Or trade someone else such as Prucha/Avery. Point is that I dont think they can trust that Dubinsky can take a spot next year. He simply wasn't consistent enough at either level this year. If Dubinsky has somewhat a consistent year this upcoming year, then plan on it for 2009.

It will be interesting on whether the Rangers make a move for a defenseman. One would think that there isn't enough room by any means. They already have to trade Rachunek for any hope of Staal. If they get a FA, then they may have to move another.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2007, 09:06 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Cullen has 3 years left on his contract. So he could be tradable at this point if necessary. IDK why he was signed for 4 years...

Old
06-04-2007, 09:14 AM
Mirinho

I bet my trousers that next season will be JJ's another +120 points season!

Last edited by Mirinho: 06-04-2007 at 11:52 AM.
Mirinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2007, 09:33 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I hope so, he was on fire near the end of the season. Plus if he dedicates himself as much as he says he will, then watch out.

Old
06-04-2007, 09:54 AM
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21

i can see the ranger's trying to extend jagr before they take the option. but its a no brainier, imo, that they extend him.

i also don't see jagr walking away after 2 years. he has far too much skill and game left in his tank. no matter what he says now.

i used to hate jagr. but this season, with him playing hurt and giving his all, taking cheap shots to the head and coming back... he really showed me something and won me over.

thx for the post Tom.

Blue Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2007, 09:58 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Thanks Tom. Stuff like this from the Czech is a real treat this time of year.

06-04-2007, 10:08 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
I would almost guarantee that they extend Jagr for another 2 years or so.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2007, 10:20 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Well he wants Nylander back.,..

Hossa-Nylander-Jagr

Straka-Drury-Prucha (no room for youth..unless you dont sign shanny and also save some money and place Prucha in his spot so he nets 30 goals w/ a real center)

Avery-Cullen-Callahan

Korpikoski-Betts-Moore

Eventually as the season wears on and Korpedo begins to pruduce I'd flip avery and korpedo and have Korpedo play with cullen and callahan.

Korpikoski-Cullen-Callahan
Avery-Betts-Moore

We really are beginning to look like the sabres.

Scratches would be Orr,Hollweg and Pock.

But anyways...maybe Shanahan retiring would benefit us more and open better windows for some of our more ready players in hartford.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2007, 10:31 AM
TheRedressor

i wouldn't count on Korpiedo making the team out of camp. However Moore is a possiblity.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2007, 10:33 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51tyutin51 View Post
Well he wants Nylander back.,..

Hossa-Nylander-Jagr

Straka-Drury-Prucha (no room for youth..unless you dont sign shanny and also save some money and place Prucha in his spot so he nets 30 goals w/ a real center)

Avery-Cullen-Callahan

Korpikoski-Betts-Moore

Eventually as the season wears on and Korpedo begins to pruduce I'd flip avery and korpedo and have Korpedo play with cullen and callahan.

Korpikoski-Cullen-Callahan
Avery-Betts-Moore

We really are beginning to look like the sabres.

Scratches would be Orr,Hollweg and Pock.

But anyways...maybe Shanahan retiring would benefit us more and open better windows for some of our more ready players in hartford.
I hope we don't become as soft as the Sabres...

Old
06-04-2007, 10:48 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRChazzer View Post
I hope we don't become as soft as the Sabres...
Korpedo,Moore,Avery,Callahan even drury and at times hollweg and orr is not soft.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2007, 11:36 AM
eco's bones

Both Dawes and Dubinsky IMO have the best shot at claiming a forward spot coming out of camp. The way the season ended Bourret may have a better chance out of training camp than either Moore or Korpikoski. Although Moore could make it as a 4th liner/probable penalty killer his upside is no where close to Dawes, Dubinsky, Bourret, Korpikoski and probably even Pyatt and Dupont.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2007, 11:44 AM
Pizza

Thanks Tom. Much appreciated.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2007, 12:11 PM
eco's bones

http://ordinaryleastsquare.typepad.c...shirtbulletin/

has their own translation of the Jagr story which may flesh it out just a little more. Also on the signing of their new Finnish goalie Wiikman.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2007, 12:18 PM
danroy33

Interesting about this being his last year, would have thought given his strong finish he would want to look forward. Also, the fact that he openly calls out the team's needs is interesting. Great article.

danroy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2007, 12:29 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Nice translation.

Isn't there a PLAYER option for Jagr's contract after this year?

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2007, 12:30 PM
giacomin1

Great post, Tom

It's nice to have something interesting to read during this 'off season'. I like the fact that Jagr spoke up about signing Nylander and about what the team needs. Hopefully that makes those things more likely to happen.

giacomin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2007, 12:48 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madik77 View Post

Tom
awesome, thanks for the news, and the translation, much appreciated!

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2007, 01:22 PM
frozenrubber

Incentive

Jagr has some damn good incentive to have a VERY successful 2007-2008. While I don't know the particulars of the Rangers picking up the option, but the option is AUTOMATIC if he wins a major award (the Pearson doesn't count).

So if Jagr wants to get one more 8.3+ million dollar payday, and since it's an existing contract, the Rangers should get one more sweetheart deal year at 4.9 million cap hit.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2007, 02:10 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Signing a 2nd line center certainly makes sense...but again, I can't help but think that if they sign Nylander again (probably for multiple years), a FA (again, for multiple years) and still have Cullen under contract for several years...a guy like Dubinsky is effed.

Where is he going to play? He's gonna be buried for years, unless the Rangers either switch Cullen to wing (debatable on whether or not they'd actually do that...they didn't seem to like it too much) or trade him.

Maybe I worry about this too much, but I'd like to see a center the Rangers develop actually make an impact.
cullen can, and should be moved to wing imho.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote