HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

ballot stuffing in Atlanta...?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-25-2003, 06:17 AM
  #1
BubbaBoot
Registered User
 
BubbaBoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Mission Hill
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 10,982
vCash: 500
ballot stuffing in Atlanta...?

I can understand that Kovalchuk at the top of the 'wingers' ballot box voting for the NHL All-Star game...but Heatley has more tallies than not only Samsonov & Murray but Jeff O'Neill, Kovalev, Satan, Bondra, Friesen and his teammate Kozlov, (in the top 20 in NHL scoring and can't crack the top 20 in voting?)....bloody stoopid, eh?

BubbaBoot is offline  
Old
12-25-2003, 09:33 AM
  #2
CFABoy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Richmond, BC
Posts: 359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaBoot
I can understand that Kovalchuk at the top of the 'wingers' ballot box voting for the NHL All-Star game...but Heatley has more tallies than not only Samsonov & Murray but Jeff O'Neill, Kovalev, Satan, Bondra, Friesen and his teammate Kozlov, (in the top 20 in NHL scoring and can't crack the top 20 in voting?)....bloody stoopid, eh?
Kovalev, Satan, Samsonov are all having terrible years...but i see your point.

CFABoy is offline  
Old
12-25-2003, 12:30 PM
  #3
TJF
Registered User
 
TJF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,695
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to TJF
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFABoy
Kovalev, Satan, Samsonov are all having terrible years...but i see your point.

Not just those 3 but O'Neill, Murray, Bondra and Friesen are all having brutal years as well. Hell I'd vote for Heatley before any of those guys as well, they've all been big disappointments so far this season.

TJF is offline  
Old
12-25-2003, 07:10 PM
  #4
stungun
Registered User
 
stungun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Portland, ME
Country: United States
Posts: 1,405
vCash: 500
i dont think anyone is having a more brutal year than heatley. how many games has he played in yet.... and we wonder what the hell is wrong with the nhl, this is moronic.

stungun is offline  
Old
12-25-2003, 07:55 PM
  #5
TJF
Registered User
 
TJF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,695
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to TJF
Quote:
Originally Posted by stungun
i dont think anyone is having a more brutal year than heatley. how many games has he played in yet.... and we wonder what the hell is wrong with the nhl, this is moronic.
Every sport has this though, it's just sentimental value, Wayne Gretzky didn't keep making the all star team because he was outpreforming everyone he just simply made it because he was the greatest player of all time. Heatley would be there without a doubt if not for his unfourtanate accident but he was still going to get votes. Hell last season in the NBA Vince Carter led the Eastern conference in all star voting despite missing most of the year with injuries. Fans vote for whoever they want.

TJF is offline  
Old
12-25-2003, 08:07 PM
  #6
Youreallygotme
Registered User
 
Youreallygotme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Kelowna BC
Posts: 2,286
vCash: 500
I think its stupid. Comrie, heatley, all have lots of votes

Youreallygotme is offline  
Old
12-25-2003, 08:29 PM
  #7
cws
...in the drink
 
cws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 1,626
vCash: 500
Atlanta fans are trying to get more votes for Savard and Nurminen, moreso Savard these days.

I'd be surprised if many hard-core fans here in Atlanta have actually voted for Heatley. Like many have said, it is a popularity contest. The recognized names, playing or not, get votes. The casual fan, especially outside of Atlanta, will go for a choice like Heatley. Those of us who see the Thrashers on a regular basis have others we'd rather vote for.

cws is offline  
Old
12-25-2003, 09:02 PM
  #8
stungun
Registered User
 
stungun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Portland, ME
Country: United States
Posts: 1,405
vCash: 500
I'd be surprised if many hard-core fans here in Atlanta have actually voted for Heatley. Like many have said, it is a popularity contest.

"popularity contest" = another reason why our league and sport is a laughing stock joke of professional leagues. i dont care what kind of problems heatley went thru in 2003, what has he done to better the sport and be designated an all-star. nothing. should he be on the ballot ? yes because if it wasnt for his injuries he would potentialy be considered an all star. heatley is a talent and a pure one at that but unless he comes back and score 52 goals in 48 games then smarten up and vote for someone who is skating and making a differnce for their perspective team.

stungun is offline  
Old
12-25-2003, 09:25 PM
  #9
cws
...in the drink
 
cws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 1,626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stungun
I'd be surprised if many hard-core fans here in Atlanta have actually voted for Heatley. Like many have said, it is a popularity contest.

"popularity contest" = another reason why our league and sport is a laughing stock joke of professional leagues. i dont care what kind of problems heatley went thru in 2003, what has he done to better the sport and be designated an all-star. nothing. should he be on the ballot ? yes because if it wasnt for his injuries he would potentialy be considered an all star. heatley is a talent and a pure one at that but unless he comes back and score 52 goals in 48 games then smarten up and vote for someone who is skating and making a differnce for their perspective team.
That's what I said. I think you misread my intention, which was that no one should vote for him because he hasn't played. A simple concept that some people have a hard time wrapping their heads around for some reason.

People like me, who watch most or all of Atlanta's games, would rather see the votes go for Savard or Kozlov. I've written in Savard's name on an earlier ballot, so I guess that I have smartened up.

cws is offline  
Old
12-25-2003, 09:30 PM
  #10
Mizral
Registered User
 
Mizral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Earth, MW
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,108
vCash: 500
I almost hate to say this, but I'd be willing to bet that there are more Thrashers fans (or at least folks who keep up with the team regularly) in Toronto than in Atlanta.

Anyways, I wouldn't worry about it. Heatley does deserve to be on the ballot and up there (remember, the All-Star ballots are made up before the season begins, so they are more about last year than this year). Does he deserve to win? No, I'd rather see Kovalchuk and Hossa get the spots (they are whom I voted for). Does this mean Thornton deserves a spot even though he's been outplayed by Sundin and maybe Robert Lang? Yep.

Mizral is offline  
Old
12-25-2003, 10:03 PM
  #11
cws
...in the drink
 
cws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 1,626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
I almost hate to say this, but I'd be willing to bet that there are more Thrashers fans (or at least folks who keep up with the team regularly) in Toronto than in Atlanta.

Anyways, I wouldn't worry about it. Heatley does deserve to be on the ballot and up there (remember, the All-Star ballots are made up before the season begins, so they are more about last year than this year). Does he deserve to win? No, I'd rather see Kovalchuk and Hossa get the spots (they are whom I voted for). Does this mean Thornton deserves a spot even though he's been outplayed by Sundin and maybe Robert Lang? Yep.
Don't hate saying that, you're probably right. The two cities are roughly the same size, population-wise. And hockey is infinitely more popular there than it is here in Atlanta. Those of us down here who are hard-core hockey fans are definitely in the minority.

The ballot system has been flawed for quite a while, but that's why there's a write-in column. Still doesn't make up for the fact that the ballots don't reflect the players who deserve the potential honor this year, but what are you gonna do? Doesn't bother me much really, I've accepted the ballots are inaccurate and I've moved on. If I want to write-in someone, I do so. That's why I don't understand all the moaning I've heard about this. It seems pretty easy to me to accept the flaw, and move forward.

cws is offline  
Old
12-25-2003, 11:30 PM
  #12
mmmBeer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Ireland
Posts: 1,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwthrash
Don't hate saying that, you're probably right. The two cities are roughly the same size, population-wise. And hockey is infinitely more popular there than it is here in Atlanta. Those of us down here who are hard-core hockey fans are definitely in the minority.

The ballot system has been flawed for quite a while, but that's why there's a write-in column. Still doesn't make up for the fact that the ballots don't reflect the players who deserve the potential honor this year, but what are you gonna do? Doesn't bother me much really, I've accepted the ballots are inaccurate and I've moved on. If I want to write-in someone, I do so. That's why I don't understand all the moaning I've heard about this. It seems pretty easy to me to accept the flaw, and move forward.
I'm not so sure it's that big of a flaw. I think an All-Star selection has more merit if its based on an entire year rather than half of one, or not even that much time. If its based entirely on what's done this season, then someone who continually starts hot and then fades will be a perennial all star, while someone who starts slow but turns it up late in the season and in the playoffs will always get snubbed. Which player would you rather have on your team?
This logic may not extend to someone who hasn't even played... and it may disregard the stated meaning of the All-Star game. But, personally, I could care less... I'd rather see players who play well over an extended period of time, or when the games start to have more meaning, get rewarded, then someone who just starts hot.

mmmBeer is offline  
Old
12-26-2003, 08:27 AM
  #13
cws
...in the drink
 
cws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 1,626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBBruin
I'm not so sure it's that big of a flaw. I think an All-Star selection has more merit if its based on an entire year rather than half of one, or not even that much time. If its based entirely on what's done this season, then someone who continually starts hot and then fades will be a perennial all star, while someone who starts slow but turns it up late in the season and in the playoffs will always get snubbed. Which player would you rather have on your team?
This logic may not extend to someone who hasn't even played... and it may disregard the stated meaning of the All-Star game. But, personally, I could care less... I'd rather see players who play well over an extended period of time, or when the games start to have more meaning, get rewarded, then someone who just starts hot.
It has a lot more merit if it's based upon the entire year, which by the names on the ballot gives that impression. But the setup of the game is to get the players who've played the best in the first four months, disregarding the last two and playoffs.

I don't like the setup either. But that is unfortunately the way it is. We just have to live with it. I like the NFL's idea better anyhow, wait until after the season is over to have the game. They actually have little choice, but it's a good idea nonetheless.

cws is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.