HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What rangers players could play a different professional sport?

Old
06-05-2007, 08:15 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
Completely unfair statement. You have no idea what kind of athlete Orr is. In fact, the very idea of saying that a guy who makes his living playing a pro sport is not a tremendous athlete is ridiculous. Compared to the best hockey players in the world, he is below average. Compared to you, or the rest of the keyboard crew, he is a God.
Yeah, seriously, Orr would school everyone here.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2007, 08:48 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
Soccer players have very low body-fat and tend to be lean, lithe and slightly shorter than the average person (by European standards). Hockey players in the NHL, on the other hand, tend to be slightly taller than the average person, and are much stockier and bulkier-built.
Since when are soccer players short? I'd say the average height of a pro soccer player is around 5'10", which is exactly average for men. There are a bunch of short soccer players, but there are also a lot of tall soccer players who balance them out. But go through some rosters, most of the players are between 5'9' and 5'11".

I could see Jagr as a runningback. 6'3" 245 with his agility. He could plow through some people.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2007, 11:28 AM
SML

Are there any 6'3" running backs in the NFL? Eddie George was the tallest one i remember at around that height. You gotta figure if jagr worked out like a football player, instead of a hockey player, he'd be around 265-270. I think he fits the bill as a tight end more than a RB, but i don't think he would have ever had the mindset to be a football player. He just doesn't seem to ever initiate contact. Not a great asset in a sport where every play begins and ends with contact.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2007, 01:24 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

Brandon Jacobs is 6'4" 264lbs. He was the first one who came to mind.

And I wasnt only thinking of Jagr's size, but his agility. He's a ridiculously athletic guy for his size.

And as for working out for football, Jagr can supposedly already bench something like 350-400lbs. How much more do you need? He drives to the net with guys draped all over his back all the time, and thats on skates.

I agree that his mindset isn't geared towards football, but his body and skills would translate well.

Old
06-05-2007, 01:25 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

And for the record, I could see him as a tight end as well, but I just see him as more of a RB. A huge RB.

Old
06-05-2007, 02:28 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice View Post
Fair enough, he does make his living playing a pro sport so you can't say he isnt a tremendous athlete.

I do think he is a notch below pretty much everyone else though, because his feet and hands are noticeably slower. That being said kudos to the guy because he has really improved both. .
I think fedoruks face would disagree with your assessment of Orr having slow hands.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2007, 04:25 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
I think fedoruks face would disagree with your assessment of Orr having slow hands.
Also, you have to remember he is on like that cold, frozen, slippery stuff, oh thats it, ICE. Your punch power probably increases by 25% at least on non-slippery surfaces. Plus you have to remember Orr skates like he has a wedgie all of the time and he has some of the worst balance I have ever seen. He could be a UFC fighter if he got into amazing cardio shape

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2007, 05:14 PM
RangersAM99

Matt cullen will be a ping pong champion

RangersAM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2007, 03:06 AM
streen1000

Send a message via MSN to streen1000
Lundqvist as a F1 Driver... reflexes

streen1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2007, 08:22 AM
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by motime42 View Post
Also, you have to remember he is on like that cold, frozen, slippery stuff, oh thats it, ICE. Your punch power probably increases by 25% at least on non-slippery surfaces. Plus you have to remember Orr skates like he has a wedgie all of the time and he has some of the worst balance I have ever seen. He could be a UFC fighter if he got into amazing cardio shape
Not for nothing, but I think Orr would last about .05 seconds in the UFC. I don't know how much of that you watch, but unless you have collegiate level wrestling ability and close to black belt level Brazilian Ju-jitsu(sp) you're a tapout waiting to happen. You can be the toughest guy in the world and it's not going to matter when you've got some other really tough guy who's more skilled choking you out or submitting you. Orr is a tough, tough guy. He has great punching power. He can knock guys out, we've all seen him do it. But those UFC guys are in a whole different class by themselves, and are some of the greatest athletes I have ever seen in my life, and if you put one of them in a cage with an athlete from any other sport who is within 50 lbs of them, they run thru him so fast it'd be comical.

Old
06-06-2007, 08:57 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Not for nothing, but I think Orr would last about .05 seconds in the UFC. I don't know how much of that you watch, but unless you have collegiate level wrestling ability and close to black belt level Brazilian Ju-jitsu(sp) you're a tapout waiting to happen. You can be the toughest guy in the world and it's not going to matter when you've got some other really tough guy who's more skilled choking you out or submitting you. Orr is a tough, tough guy. He has great punching power. He can knock guys out, we've all seen him do it. But those UFC guys are in a whole different class by themselves, and are some of the greatest athletes I have ever seen in my life, and if you put one of them in a cage with an athlete from any other sport who is within 50 lbs of them, they run thru him so fast it'd be comical.
Maybe not in the UFC, but in some of the smaller shows he could probably be successful. I'm not sure is Orr ever wrestled in high school, but if he did, and was remotely successful he could probably make the transfer over to MMA. I don't think the colliegate background is needed, but it certainly helps. Sasha Lakovic did it, and he didn't really have the expertise that many of these guys do, I believe he won both of his fights so far. I never wrestled in college, but I won the league II championship my senior year in high school. I have a light background in MMA, and two buddies that are both instructors here on Long Island. One of them is a tradional JJ blackbelt, the other studied Kempo, and BJJ, with a blackbelt in both. I have rolled around with them, and got the better of them on numerous occasions. They have also choked the life out of me too! I have never submitted them, but can take them both down at will. Now, they are not UFC caliber fighters, but they have competed in NAGA, already and were successful. If Orr did have any of the wrestling background, and devoted a year or two under the right tutoledge there a good chance he could be competitive at the MMA level. Lotta "if's" there though...But he certainly has the standup. This guy has KO'd and TKO'd more people in his first two seasons than any other enforcer I can ever remember. Not too mention what he has accomplished at the Jr level....where he ko's Derek Boogard, and Parros. I believe there were some others as well. Now I am not saying that Orr is the best fighter out there, he certainly is not...but as far as punching power, I would put him up against anyone in the game. Now if he only had the balance and stamina of a Darren Langdon, Marty McSorley or Bob Probert he would be a killer!

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2007, 02:22 PM
SML

Parros played hockey at Princeton, which means he never could have played junior. Playing in any of the Major Junior leagues qualifies you as a professional and thus you are ineligible under NCAA rules. Orr may have knocked him out, but it wasn't in juniors.

Old
06-06-2007, 02:46 PM
NYRangerfn09

How can anyone see Jagr as a Running Back? He can barely take a hit not to mention 2 or 3 guys that are allowed to plow him into the ground. I agree that he is big but I think the hitting would be too much on him.

NYRangerfn09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2007, 03:05 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfn09 View Post
How can anyone see Jagr as a Running Back? He can barely take a hit not to mention 2 or 3 guys that are allowed to plow him into the ground. I agree that he is big but I think the hitting would be too much on him.
How can you say he cannot take a hit? He gets double and triple teamed every game. People hold him, hit him constantly. The only reason he doesn't fall that often, is because of his size. He already has 2-3 guys plowing into him every game.

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2007, 03:08 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Orr= UFC

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2007, 03:21 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Malik could play in the WNBA.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2007, 03:45 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Prucha would be worldwide tetherball champ.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2007, 03:45 PM
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rx View Post
Malik could play in the WNBA.
And, he would not finish last in the WNBA beauty contest.

Old
06-06-2007, 04:12 PM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

No disrespect to his ability on ice, but as an alternate occupation, I kind of invision Jagr making pizzas at a place called Louiggie's or something.

Shanahan would be in the World Poker Tournament wearing a magenta fedora with a feather in it and big mirrored sunglasses.

ThrasherMinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2007, 05:22 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Parros played hockey at Princeton, which means he never could have played junior. Playing in any of the Major Junior leagues qualifies you as a professional and thus you are ineligible under NCAA rules. Orr may have knocked him out, but it wasn't in juniors.
You're right...It wasen't in Jrs. The fight was in 03/04. Orr was with the baby B's, and Parros was with the Manchester Monarchs. Orr knocked him out cold.

That season Orr had a whopping 37 fighting majors!!! He also KO'd Ryan Flinn that season which actually fractured Flinn's orbital bone.

Old
06-06-2007, 07:56 PM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:
And, he would not finish last in the WNBA beauty contest.

Amazing...

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2007, 07:57 PM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:
Originally Posted by streen1000 View Post
Lundqvist as a F1 Driver... reflexes
Seriously... the guy's reflexes are immeasurable. He kicks the doctor in the face before he even pulls the hammer out.

PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2007, 09:09 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Dude, Im not just saying we should throw him in the octagon like he is. Of course he would have to do some BJJ work and probably obtain a brown belt. He is an athlete an he could definitely prove successful in the UFC if he put his mind to it and trained a ton

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2007, 09:25 PM
Sunshine

The Jagr RB comp is so retarded I'm embarrassed to have even read it

...maybe Isbister as an H-Back.

Orr as a boxer on MSG, yes...

I like Ortmeyer as a lacrosee player

Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2007, 09:43 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by motime42 View Post
Dude, Im not just saying we should throw him in the octagon like he is. Of course he would have to do some BJJ work and probably obtain a brown belt. He is an athlete an he could definitely prove successful in the UFC if he put his mind to it and trained a ton
A couple other guys recently made the jump from hockey to MMA. John "Nasty" Mirasty and Bosse are both fighting in MMA events...and I believe they are this weekend also.