HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Is Sheldon Souray a true no.1 defenseman

Closed Thread

Old
12-25-2003, 01:02 PM
Kerberos*

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to   Kerberos* Send a message via MSN to   Kerberos*
Is Sheldon Souray a true no.1 defenseman

Is he?

Old
12-25-2003, 01:08 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

He's been a second pairing defenseman his entire career and suddenly made a huge step this season, however, 30 games does not a player make. I see Souray more as a reliable #3 who can be labelled a decent #2 if he finishes the season like he's playing right now. By no means a #1, I think that has to come with history, experience and seasoning.

Basicly the same question could be applied for Mike Modano only vice versa, an elite center for a decade, enjoys a horrible start but I doubt that people will label him a 2nd line center. Unless he continues to play like this for a few more seasons..

Old
12-25-2003, 01:09 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

I would say he is a #2 who is currently overacheiving.

Old
12-25-2003, 01:12 PM
Kerberos*

Send a message via ICQ to   Kerberos* Send a message via MSN to   Kerberos*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
He's been a second pairing defenseman his entire career and suddenly made a huge step this season, however, 30 games does not a player make. I see Souray more as a reliable #3 who can be labelled a decent #2 if he finishes the season like he's playing right now. By no means a #1, I think that has to come with history, experience and seasoning.

Basicly the same question could be applied for Mike Modano only vice versa, an elite center for a decade, enjoys a horrible start but I doubt that people will label him a 2nd line center. Unless he continues to play like this for a few more seasons..
If Sheldon continues playing like he has since the beginning of the season: then will he be a no. 1?

Old
12-25-2003, 01:15 PM
markov`

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon
I would say he is a #2 who is currently overacheiving.

Same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerberos
If Sheldon continues playing like he has since the beginning of the season: then will he be a no. 1?
I think yes, but I guess it won't happen.

Old
12-25-2003, 01:37 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Yes, but that's a pretty big if.

Old
12-25-2003, 01:44 PM
zoidberg

If he plays like this the whole season, I could see him getting consideration for the Norris.

Old
12-25-2003, 01:44 PM
evman150*

He's a good top-4 guy.

He was that even before this year. Is he a #1 though? No, not yet. If he's still playing somewhere near this level a year from now(?!), he will then be a number one guy in my mind. Until that time, no, but very solid nevertheless.

Old
12-25-2003, 02:06 PM
maximil

Yes. He is a number one defenseman for a the Canadiens and he probably would be for a number of other teams.

Old
12-25-2003, 02:10 PM
neelynugs

uhh..no
he's a #4 playing significantly over his head. maybe he'll keep it up, maybe he won't (hopefully not, as how can you not LOVE seeing the habs lose? ). but give the guy credit for working hard to get back.

oh, the over/under on him getting injured is 20 games...

Last edited by neelynugs: 12-25-2003 at 02:14 PM.
Old
12-25-2003, 02:14 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximil
Yes. He is a number one defenseman for a the Canadiens and he probably would be for a number of other teams.
that's not really saying too much. consider that the #1 d-man on a team like atlanta is....and pittsburgh? boston and nashville? what about chicago? i'm assuming that you would label souray the #1 for those teams, but then again, you can say that for probably a lot of guys.

Old
12-25-2003, 03:29 PM
FanSince2014
What'd He Say?

Souray is #1 on my FHL team! Such a lucky pickup for my team.

Old
12-25-2003, 03:36 PM
leafaholix*

He'll cool off.

Right now he's playing like a #1 defenseman though.

All in all, I'd say he's a second pairing guy.

Old
12-25-2003, 04:28 PM
Howard35

Send a message via AIM to Howard35
Quote:
no. Just because he's gotten his act together early on THIS YEAR does not label him a number 1 defensemen. He's gotta do more then put up numbers for more then 30-40 gms for 1 season. If he finishes this year up there with the best in almost all the categories and does it again next year, then u might be able to consider him as a 1-2 dman, but not yet

Old
12-25-2003, 10:15 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by go pierre hedin
He'll cool off.
Depends what you mean by "cool off". If you mean he won't finnish the year with the number of goals and points he's currently on pace for (which is close to 30 goals and 50 points), then yes, I agree, chances are he won't be able to get those numbers (at least I'm not keeping my fingers crossed).

However, several factors about his history on and mostly off the ice lead me to beleive the Souray you see right now will keep on playing at that level all year. The offensive production is a huge bonus, but Souray's solid and bruising type of defense is more reliable and consistent as it's ever been (yes, even in the Bruins/Habs playoff round 2 years ago). The guy said it himself this injury allowed him to put things in perspective, mature alot mentally, get stronger and perfect his hockey sense by watching and analysing alot of hockey (which is IMO the biggest factor).

No doubt defensively, Souray has easily become a top-2 on alot of teams (and not just the lousy ones) mainly for the fact he's able to sustain that high level of play on a consistent basis and his performances do not vary alot from game to game. However, even if Souray's scoring like an all-star right now, I don't think the guy can control the pace of a game like an elite #1 Dman could. So I'll settle for an excellent #2 and a good #1 (for now at least).

He won't be able to get this recognition officially around the league for at least one more year, when he proves he can keep it up over one full year and repeat the next, but his play right now is no doubt the one of a strong #1/2.

Old
12-25-2003, 10:48 PM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
The key here is health. It always is with players who's suffered major injuries before like Souray.

(I'm not saying he's injury-prone, but he HAS been injured before, and that doesn't help his chances.)

Old
12-26-2003, 07:27 AM
Mayhem

Send a message via AIM to Mayhem
Quote:
Is he?
In a word no.

Can he eventually become one? That remains to be seen.

Certainly right now he is playing like a number one but like other have mentioned can he maintain the current pace that he is on. Chances are that he will not.

But at the same time should he ever be put on the trade block I think you would see the rest of the league salivating.

At this point from what I have seen he is a solid number 2/3 that is on a bit of a hot streak and he'll eventually cool off in the points department.

Old
12-26-2003, 09:18 AM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs
uhh..no
he's a #4 playing significantly over his head. maybe he'll keep it up, maybe he won't (hopefully not, as how can you not LOVE seeing the habs lose? ). but give the guy credit for working hard to get back.

oh, the over/under on him getting injured is 20 games...
Bruins fans shouldn't be able to post in Habs threads

Old
12-26-2003, 10:18 AM

I'd say you have to question your definition as a "#1" to answer the issue. Do you mean the #1 defenseman on the team in points scored, do you mean the #1 defenseman on the team in icetime, or even strength time? There are a lot of variables. I'd say it doesn't matter what # he is as much as it matters what he contributes.

Closed Thread