HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will this sport ever go Main Stream?

Old
06-05-2007, 07:00 PM
philbo

vCash: 500
Will this sport ever go Main Stream?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playof...ory?id=2894490

this sucks!

philbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2007, 07:24 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Must everything you like be popular?

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2007, 07:32 PM
Theoren Fan

Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
Well, what average sports fan gives a **** about Anaheim and Ottawa?

Theoren Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2007, 07:34 PM
soundtigersfan

It never really has been. It will never come close to beating out MLB or the NFL in the New York area, and the NBA will always get at least as much attention as the NHL if both the Knicks and Rangers are competitive. That doesn't take away anything from the game, though. It's still hockey, and just because your neighbor may not "get it" doesn't mean it's any less exciting.

soundtigersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2007, 07:50 PM
Balej20*

I'm really getting tired of hearing about hockey's rating every single day. People who aren't hockey fans are OBSESSED with hockey's ratings. If you don't like the sport, why the hell do you care about the ratings so much. It's almost like people go out of their way just to bash the sport because of its ratings.

It just doesn't bother me anymore. I don't care if no one in America watches, all I care about is if I enjoy the game. And last night, I enjoyed that game very very much. It's a niche sport, because it is far too confusing for the average person to understand...and that is fine by me.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2007, 07:58 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
I'm really getting tired of hearing about hockey's rating every single day. People who aren't hockey fans are OBSESSED with hockey's ratings. If you don't like the sport, why the hell do you care about the ratings so much. It's almost like people go out of their way just to bash the sport because of its ratings.

It just doesn't bother me anymore. I don't care if no one in America watches, all I care about is if I enjoy the game. And last night, I enjoyed that game very very much. It's a niche sport, because it is far too confusing for the average person to understand...and that is fine by me.
i agree, those clowns on fan mentioned it last night. Mike and the fat dog, what a crappy show, i can make a better show from my home lol

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2007, 08:14 PM
RFAN

I watched enough to see Don Cherry and he is right, bring back fighting. The game needs a gimmick to appeal to the masses. I know there isn't much in the playoffs but Danny Alf deserved a beat-down for that slap shot at the end of the second.

RFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2007, 08:17 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

The reason you need to care about thisis that you want to watch hockey on TV. I'm not saying it's imminent, but if the trend continues, by the time I have grandkids, MSG might make more advertising money off of, I dunno - roller ball - and hockey will fade away.

Part of the problem is that no one cares about Ottawa, but a larger problem is that Americans at large don't care about hockey. It's a real shame, because after '94 the league had a real chance (remember the Rangers as the lead story on SC? Anthony Mason attending Rangers games? remember Fox winning the bid to broadcast weekend games?)... and they ****ed it up big time. Since then it's been nothing but downhill.

The strike(s) have something to do with it. The trap has something to do with it. Expansion has something to do with it. Like it or not, guys, fighting has something to do with it (how many times have you heard some variation on the old joke "I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out" from your non-hockey-fan friends?).

And I don't want to hear that hockey is just what it is and it couldn't be one of the major sports - in the 70s hockey and basketball weren't that far apart in popularity. And stock car racing was well behind. People actually talked about the "four major" sports and meant it. So hockey WAS fairly up there relatively speaking. And there's nothing that says it couldn't have followed basketball's trajectory.

But the "old school" insular people in the league have to focus on making it palatable to the rest of the world if it's gonna rebound.

The one great hope for hockey (IMO)...? HDTV. Hockey more than anything else on TV benefits from HD. (The other thing you hear from non-fans -other than fighting makes the sport a joke - is that they can't follow the puck or keep up with what's going on.)

Last edited by BrooklynRangersFan: 06-05-2007 at 08:23 PM.
BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2007, 08:29 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
The reason you need to care about thisis that you want to watch hockey on TV. I'm not saying it's imminent, but if the trend continues, by the time I have grandkids, MSG might make more advertising money off of, I dunno - roller ball - and hockey will fade away.

Part of the problem is that no one cares about Ottawa, but a larger problem is that Americans at large don't care about hockey. It's a real shame, because after '94 the league had a real chance (remember the Rangers as the lead story on SC? Anthony Mason attending Rangers games? remember Fox winning the bid to broadcast weekend games?)... and they ****ed it up big time. Since then it's been nothing but downhill.

The strike(s) have something to do with it. The trap has something to do with it. Expansion has something to do with it. Like it or not, guys, fighting has something to do with it (how many times have you heard some variation on the old joke "I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out" from your non-hockey-fan friends?).

And I don't want to hear that hockey is just what it is and it couldn't be one of the major sports - in the 70s hockey and basketball weren't that far apart in popularity. And stock car racing was well behind. People actually talked about the "four major" sports and meant it. So hockey WAS fairly up there relatively speaking. And there's nothing that says it couldn't have followed basketball's trajectory.

But the "old school" insular people in the league have to focus on making it palatable to the rest of the world if it's gonna rebound.

The one great hope for hockey (IMO)...? HDTV. Hockey more than anything else on TV benefits from HD. (The other thing you hear from non-fans -other than fighting makes the sport a joke - is that they can't follow the puck or keep up with what's going on.)

Save me from typing it. Agree with everything.

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2007, 08:33 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
i dont like how most of the US rather watch football and basketball and those same people complain that they dont have enough minorites in their sport while Hockey has the most players from all over the world. They are upset cause they cant pronounce their names.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2007, 08:37 PM
Captain Monglobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist=Vezina View Post
Save me from typing it. Agree with everything.
I wouldn't worry about not being able to watch hockey. The Rangers will always be on MSG so long as cablevision and the Rangers share an owner; and with the ever expanding technology of the internet, it won't be long until high quality games will be able to be viewed on the internet, or even sent to your television through ethernet or whatever cable connects the two.

Captain Monglobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2007, 08:45 PM
SML

Hockey is a niche sport, and IMO, always will be. No problem. I'd rather they keep the game I love the way it is, than dress it up with glowing pucks. NBC would be happy putting "blades of glory" out there for a final. I don't care. I love the game the way it always has been. If it goes off main stream tv, great. They do a crappy job anyway. If I never had to hear Doc Emerick again, cool. If I never have to hear Bill Clement be sickeningly PC, or Brett Hull suck the collective rear end of Canada in desperation that he can someday replace Don Cherry, I'll be greatful. If I have to shell out money for the center ice package, so be it. But don't change the product to appease a bunch of snobs who never cared anyway.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2007, 08:55 PM
philbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Must everything you like be popular?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post

Ouch....I can't remember, maybe you can remind me but when did I bash you two guys?

philbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2007, 08:58 PM
JKDR1

Has anyone ever listened to this bonehead Colin Cowherd on ESPN radio? This moron gets joy out of bashing the NHL. I hate alot of things but I dont go around bashing them. This guy bashes it like its personal, like the NHL stole his blankie or something. It is rather odd and annoying to say the least. The NHL will never go mainstream with idiots like this guy on the airwaves. Someone above here had a great point about everything you like being popular...It has its advantages, a few years back before the Rangers got there new practice facility, they used to come up to my home town for training camp and then up to UVM in VT. Over the years I have met almost every Ranger to come along from Leetch and Fleury to Gretz and Mess. Once a sport gets too mainstream the athletes become rock star untouchables like in the other sports . The same can be said of motocross (of which I am a huge fan) these guys are also very accesible (I love the Motogp avitar the mod has here as well....awesome!!!). I do see the point here however and also think that the NHL deserves alot more respect than it receives. My theory is that those that rip hockey have slower functioning brains and cant comprehend its speed and beauty! Either you get it or you dont!

JKDR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2007, 09:09 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
It comes down to marketing.

First of all, hockey is not a great TV sport. It's hard to watch on the TV and the speed of the game and the size of the players does not translate. As such, the talent and skill level does not come across like it does in some sports.

That said, the TV situation is atrocious. The Versus move is a complete failure. They do not get the exposure that ESPN does and Versus not advertise their product like ESPN did. Bettman should have made a deal with ESPN.

It's not good news when a regular season WNBA game is getting more viewers than the NHL Stanley Cup Finals did. Of course more people probably knew where and when they could watch the WNBA game.

06-05-2007, 09:26 PM
bubba5

Hockey fan in general in the US, give 100% devotion to their teams, but once their team is out, to many other thing to do, summertime, baseball. Thats why the areans are generally full. The problem with watching playoff hockey when your team is out is nobody wants to waste a nice day in the summer watching 2 teams they dont give a crap about. Plus I think they need to put these National games on on Friday and Saturday nights as there is not a lt on TV on those nights. Saturday and Sunday afternoons are brutal

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2007, 09:27 PM
Yizee*

why do people say its hard to watch hockey? I have no trouble whatsoever keeping up with the players or the puck I know exactly where the puck is at all times and everything else - the people who have trouble are the ones who don't know anything about hockey and refuse to learn the rules.... and plus the major sports network ESPN wants to promote black players in the NBA and NFL and since they can't in the NHL (they tried on Iginla) they refuse to give it any coverage - why else would sarina williams or whatever her name is be so popular for tennis? she's not even good looking and they worship her

Yizee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2007, 09:40 PM
denn0069

Send a message via MSN to denn0069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoren Fan View Post
Well, what average sports fan gives a **** about Anaheim and Ottawa?
What average sports fan gives a **** about any team that isnt theirs?

denn0069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2007, 09:44 PM
XploD

Every day, for two full minutes, I take the time to sit down and think about people who don't like hockey, then I think about hockey fans worrying about people who don't like hockey.

After that, I laugh... Then I contiune on with my life.

XploD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2007, 09:48 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
It comes down to marketing.

First of all, hockey is not a great TV sport. It's hard to watch on the TV and the speed of the game and the size of the players does not translate. As such, the talent and skill level does not come across like it does in some sports.

That said, the TV situation is atrocious. The Versus move is a complete failure. They do not get the exposure that ESPN does and Versus not advertise their product like ESPN did. Bettman should have made a deal with ESPN.

It's not good news when a regular season WNBA game is getting more viewers than the NHL Stanley Cup Finals did. Of course more people probably knew where and when they could watch the WNBA game.

I don't agree withthat at all. Why is hockey hard to wath on the TV? The puck is alot easier IMO to watch on the tv screen than it is live at an event. It's fast paced, with little interruptions...we'll it used to have little interruptions. But as far as not being a good TV sport...I think it's an excellent TV sport for people that understand the game. Unfortunately it's buried on channel 408 or whatever, and w/out center ice it's not easy to find a game.

I totally agree with you though on the channel it is played on. Versus is certainly not the answer. NBC was a step in the right direction, but overall it is a marketing disaster.

You mention the WNBA...How about the ******* Andy Griffith show on TVLAND outdrawing the NHL All-star game? I mean that's pathetic.

Very surprised that people don't seem to care about hockeys popularity, and ratings. You do realize the better the sport does in that area the better the coverage. It would be nice for the sport to reach the type of popularity that they actually air the whole draft, or better yet how aout the Workd Jrs? Or some more of the college tourneys?

Gary Bettman has to go.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2007, 09:55 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
I don't agree withthat at all. Why is hockey hard to wath on the TV? The puck is alot easier IMO to watch on the tv screen than it is live at an event. It's fast paced, with little interruptions...we'll it used to have little interruptions. But as far as not being a good TV sport...I think it's an excellent TV sport for people that understand the game.
You are in the minority who feel that way. The puck gets lost along the boards and in the corners. You can misplace it when there is a scrum in front of the goale. But you've ignored my other point - you don't get to appreciate the speed and size of the players on TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
You mention the WNBA...How about the ******* Andy Griffith show on TVLAND outdrawing the NHL All-star game? I mean that's pathetic.
The NHL All Star Game was never a big draw. Especially when you put it on in the middle of the week.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2007, 09:59 PM
Pizza

Cult status for ice hockey in the USA is a virtual lock. I have to say that is a good thing IMO. It makes it feel more special.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2007, 10:06 PM
bleedrngrblue

If they market it right....say national hockey night, every Friday or Saturday, and put it on an easily accessible channel, they can grow the sport. But they also need to do a better job of marketing in the traditionally non hockey areas. i know this can be done simply because they have given other less entertaining sports accssibility to the audience and they have responded enthusiastically. In short....if they make a solid attempt, it can see dramatic improvement and solid growth. I am a hockey fan my entire life...born and raised a Ranger fan, but I have taught alot of people to appreciate Hockey over the years, half the battle is getting them to understand the rules.

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2007, 10:28 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbo View Post
Ouch....I can't remember, maybe you can remind me but when did I bash you two guys?
Nah, my comment wasn't directed at you. I didn't mean it to come across that way. It was just a generalized statement towards all the hockey-haters out there that obsess over the Ratings as if that has a baring on how good or bad a sport is.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2007, 10:37 PM
The Thomas J.*

Im fine with the way it is.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote