HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Yashin bought out.

Old
06-06-2007, 07:24 PM
TempusFugit

vCash: 500
Parity is the word you were looking for. Parody is the act of intentionally lampooning or making fun of something, such as Scary Movie is a parody of horror films. So you could say that the current parity in the NHL, with the talent spread so thin, is a parody of how the NHL used to be

TempusFugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2007, 07:26 PM
PSUhockey34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas House Gorilla View Post
Parity is the word you were looking for. Parody is the act of intentionally lampooning or making fun of something, such as Scary Movie is a parody of horror films. So you could say that the current parity in the NHL, with the talent spread so thin, is a parody of how the NHL used to be
i'm stupid

PSUhockey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2007, 07:28 PM
TempusFugit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUhockey34 View Post
i'm stupid
No, it's actually pretty funny. I remember a Post columnist a few years ago, when talking about the subject in regards to the NFL, had a headline Parity or Parody?

Old
06-06-2007, 07:41 PM
PSUhockey34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas House Gorilla View Post
This is my thought exactly. For years it was a broken record on the Island: bring in a winger for Yashin, bring in a winger for Yashin. And they never did, until Smyth was traded for, and Yashin was injured by then, and hadn't recovered (if they even played on the same line). In Washington he'd have two big time wings and another pretty good one to build some chemistry with. No pressure on his shoulders. Could be a genius move, or a major flop. But I think it's worth the risk
the Capitals are in the perfect position to take a risk and sign Yashin

I get tired of people bringing it up whenever there is a disgruntled russian player that the Caps should take the chance to play him with Ovy...but this is the one time that it actually makes sense to me or has got me saying "hey this could actually work"

PSUhockey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2007, 08:51 PM
Atrivis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
I dunno, his point totals from last year (18-32-50) are on par with what many expect from Backstrom. I think Backstrom this upcoming season might be a better player than Yashin.
He only played 58 games. I saw him every game. He is not a BAD player, but was not a $7.4M player. For $3M you can get a very good center. He played amazingly well until he hurt his knee. He came back and played great again until he re injured it. I think he has the talent.. but his time on the Island was up. He is great on the PP and hell to knock off the puck. Ask Jason Blake why he had such a good season. From his mouth.. it was playing with Yashin. He is a good playmaker with a great shot.

I am happy he is gone form the Isles because of the history involved, but I think he can still put up numbers.. especially with a player he likes and has a good playing history with.

As for Drury and the Caps? I doubt it.. I think he's going to the Rags... I think he wants to play for a bonafide contender. I would love the Isles to land him.. but doubt it.. and Gomez already said he would rather play out west if not in Jersey as he doesn't want to play them a lot. Of course, money talks... and that could sway a lot of players. I'm just not sure how much money your owner is willing to spend as the history indicates.. not a lot I am not knocking you.. just a serious thought. The caps have such good, YOUNG talent and a good goalie (man I felt bad for him) and can start moving up. If You lose out on Drury/Gomez as I believe you will.. I don't think Yashin would be that bad of a choice.

BTW... I meant no ill feelings by posting here. I was just making observations. I wish you luck.. I would love to have the Caps back up the standings. There's nothing like "the Easter Epic", and good luck in the offseason

Atrivis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2007, 09:41 PM
TempusFugit

No ill feelings, because a lot of us agree with you. We know how cheap our owner is. Not a lot of us are really pushing for Drury. $6 mill/yr for a 60 point center seems too high, and he should go to a playoff team because that's where he excels. A lot of us, including me, want Gomez, but we probably won't get him, because he's simply too expensive

Old
06-06-2007, 11:29 PM
Atlas

No. No. No. No. No. No. No.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2007, 12:20 AM
Kevin Wey

Just an outside observer, but I'd have to think that Yashin makes sense in Washington because it is, as I see others have mentioned now that I've visited the Caps board, a low pressure situation. As a couple others have mentioned, Yashin is not a bad player. He's a good second-tier first line center. (And I would be VERY surprised if his salary dips below $4.0 million. How many legitimate first line centers make less than $4 million?) He has had a contract that he never lived up to. Is it his fault for signing it or the Islanders for offering it in the first place?

I think playing with Ovechkin and Semin, where Yashin is not THE guy (Ovechkin and Kolzig are the identity of the Capitals) would give Yashin what he needs to shine and Ovechkin one more player to take a little coverage off of himself. It would, as others have mentioned, give Backstrom time to apprentice on the second line, hopefully with two other acquired wingers. (No offense to Chris Clark, but he's really only a third line caliber player on most NHL teams.)

Think about it:

Sc1: Ovechkin-Yashin-Semin
Sc2: ???-Backstrom-???
Sc3: Pettinger-Beech-Clark
Sc4: Brashear-Sutherby-Gordon
Depth: Laich, Bradley

At that point, you're starting to talk about a competitive Washington Capitals team again.

Obviously, the Capitals need some serious veteran upgrades at defense to help develop some of the highly-regarded prospects, but the above would be light at the end of the tunnel at forward.

As a fan, I want to see the Capitals do well again, because it's important for the league for Ovechkin to not toil in relative obscurity and there's no reason the Capitals should have to be a doormat every year, as long as ownership will put up a little money (wisely, of course) to make a few key upgrades.

Kevin Wey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2007, 01:02 AM
Atrivis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Wey View Post
Just an outside observer, but I'd have to think that Yashin makes sense in Washington because it is, as I see others have mentioned now that I've visited the Caps board, a low pressure situation. As a couple others have mentioned, Yashin is not a bad player. He's a good second-tier first line center. (And I would be VERY surprised if his salary dips below $4.0 million. How many legitimate first line centers make less than $4 million?) He has had a contract that he never lived up to. Is it his fault for signing it or the Islanders for offering it in the first place?

I think playing with Ovechkin and Semin, where Yashin is not THE guy (Ovechkin and Kolzig are the identity of the Capitals) would give Yashin what he needs to shine and Ovechkin one more player to take a little coverage off of himself. It would, as others have mentioned, give Backstrom time to apprentice on the second line, hopefully with two other acquired wingers. (No offense to Chris Clark, but he's really only a third line caliber player on most NHL teams.)

Think about it:

Sc1: Ovechkin-Yashin-Semin
Sc2: ???-Backstrom-???
Sc3: Pettinger-Beech-Clark
Sc4: Brashear-Sutherby-Gordon
Depth: Laich, Bradley

At that point, you're starting to talk about a competitive Washington Capitals team again.

Obviously, the Capitals need some serious veteran upgrades at defense to help develop some of the highly-regarded prospects, but the above would be light at the end of the tunnel at forward.

As a fan, I want to see the Capitals do well again, because it's important for the league for Ovechkin to not toil in relative obscurity and there's no reason the Capitals should have to be a doormat every year, as long as ownership will put up a little money (wisely, of course) to make a few key upgrades.
Great post... perfectly put....

Old
06-07-2007, 01:07 AM
Burgh32

A little bit of perspective... we shouldn't be making moves for the sake of "hey, it's better than what we've got now." The point of a rebuild is to build a long-term competitive team. If we're going to rebuild, let's not rebuild to just be better, but to be VERY good in the future and give ourselves a true shot for the cup. Yashin is definitely better than what we have now, no argument. He's the wrong choice for building a cup-contending team.

I don't want to get back into the cycle of having a perennial playoff team that doesn't really get past the 1st round ever.

Burgh32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2007, 01:22 AM
Atrivis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgh32 View Post
A little bit of perspective... we shouldn't be making moves for the sake of "hey, it's better than what we've got now." The point of a rebuild is to build a long-term competitive team. If we're going to rebuild, let's not rebuild to just be better, but to be VERY good in the future and give ourselves a true shot for the cup. Yashin is definitely better than what we have now, no argument. He's the wrong choice for building a cup-contending team.

I don't want to get back into the cycle of having a perennial playoff team that doesn't really get past the 1st round ever.
I'm not bashing... but first you need to make strides to MAKE the playoffs. This is true. Yashin is definitely not one to BUILD a cup with. But he can be a center for Ovechkin now and bring some offense to your team. While rebuilding.. it is possible to add short term veterans to help move it along. He can be a contributor on any team, including a cup team. He was vilified for his money vs. results. He wasn't worth what he got paid. But as a short term center for one of the best players in the game, he could fit the bill. He is an option that could help a team rise above bottom feeder status. The Caps are a great franchise... they don't belong there.

Besides.. You are going to actually have to pay more this year with the cap FLOOR rising. Good luck to you guys. I am rooting for ya. I just want to see AO win the scoring title... Not a big fan of Sid

Old
06-07-2007, 05:05 AM
EHCler

Well we definitly should not dismiss Yashin. He is one of the few if not the only legimite 1st 2nd line UFA center we actually can sign without overpaying significantly.

The situation would also not be similar to Jagr situation. We are not trading or signing a "superstar" who will be the heart of the team, but somebody to complement our superstar.

If at all this situation is similar to Jagr situation with the Rangers. A quality player who was booted of his old team as they were looking for new direction and due to character issues. Not that I predict Yashin could turn this franchise around like Jagr did in NY, well he purely is not the same quality of player.
I could see Yashin beeing a good fit with the caps and turning his career around, well he still almost was a point per game player last season with a +rating.
Surely there are better options around and Yashin is a risk, but before I overpay for Handzus or Nylander with long term deals at too high salaries, I rather give Yashin a short term deal if the vets would welcome him.
Tough call so as Yashin may be destructive this team with his lack of effort, well at least Yashin would not be under the pressure of his contract any more and being captain.

EHCler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2007, 06:08 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

My guess... Yashin is on the map, but he's backup plan #12 for Caps management.

A lot of preferred alternatives have to bomb before they'll sign him.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2007, 06:10 AM
boredmale

Quote:

Counter Arguement is do you overpay for somebody in a 5 year deal or use Yashin as a quick fix for a year or 2 as you get better.

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2007, 08:12 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrivis View Post
I'm not bashing... but first you need to make strides to MAKE the playoffs. This is true. Yashin is definitely not one to BUILD a cup with. But he can be a center for Ovechkin now and bring some offense to your team. While rebuilding.. it is possible to add short term veterans to help move it along. He can be a contributor on any team, including a cup team. He was vilified for his money vs. results. He wasn't worth what he got paid. But as a short term center for one of the best players in the game, he could fit the bill. He is an option that could help a team rise above bottom feeder status. The Caps are a great franchise... they don't belong there.

Besides.. You are going to actually have to pay more this year with the cap FLOOR rising. Good luck to you guys. I am rooting for ya. I just want to see AO win the scoring title... Not a big fan of Sid
I completely agree with this. Yashin may not be the guy you want to win a cup with, but he is good enough to help the team to the playoffs. As far as filling the long-term need at center, I would think theres at least a 50-50 shot that is addressed with the #5 draft pick.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2007, 09:22 AM
Mothra
The Groovy Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
The GM that signs Yashin is either going to look like a genius or the king of fools, depending on how Yashin responds to the buyout.

It will be interesting to see what kind of interest he garners, given the risk, and how much the market determines that a Yashin without strings attached is worth in dollar terms.
I disagree...well, I think the only way someone looks like a fool is if they sign him to a fairly large contract (4+ mil) for 2 more more years....and he doesnt pan out. If someone takes a chance and signs him for a couple mil for a year or two I doubt they will look foolish

just my take

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2007, 09:28 AM
CCCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
I disagree...well, I think the only way someone looks like a fool is if they sign him to a fairly large contract (4+ mil) for 2 more more years....and he doesnt pan out. If someone takes a chance and signs him for a couple mil for a year or two I doubt they will look foolish

just my take
+1

CCCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2007, 10:05 AM
HockeyCritter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japser17 View Post
Besides there place in the standings, there isn't all that much else you can compare Washington and Boston. Boston is a much better hockey town than Washington is.

And that does matter.
What makes it a much better hockey town?

HockeyCritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2007, 10:09 AM
CCCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCritter View Post
Bobby Orr!

CCCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2007, 10:12 AM
HockeyCritter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
I see your point(s).

However, the problem I have with signing Yashin is not that he's a team cancer (which I don't believe he is) or that he isn't talented (he's better than Zubrus and as good or better than Gomez offensively), it's that he's totally vapid and lacks all leadership ability.

That and the fact that his stats are steadily declining and he has 1 point in his last 10 playoff games. He reeks as a guy who signed a fat deal and lost his enthusiasm for the game- which to me says he's a disingenuine player.

IF they were to sign A.Y. and spend the rest beefing up the d-core, they may make the playoffs, but in 2-3 years after failing to advance they'll be back to square one with "who knows?" on the market.

I think Olie was just being diplomatic.

While I don’t disagree with that assessment – will he need to be other than that on this team? In DC Yashin wouldn’t have to be a leader (there’s Kolzig, Clark, and even Ovechkin for that), the “go to” guy (that’s the job of the Alexes).

I always wondered what Yashin would/could do if he didn’t have to shoulder a franchise (and had a reasonable contract); people’s expectations are directly related to the size of the contract and the letter on your chest.

<<shrug>>

It’s an intriguing possibility and I'm curious to see how this will shake out.

Wonder if Olie would call Witt to ask for the real story on Yashin in the lockerroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUhockey34 View Post
who knows what will go down, just speculating...i never thought I'd be trying to make a case for Yashin playing for the Caps
I know!!

I always thought Yashin had world class skills and a bit of a foggy brain at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrivis View Post

<<snipped>>

As for Drury and the Caps? I doubt it.. I think he's going to the Rags... I think he wants to play for a bonafide contender. would love the Isles to land him.. but doubt it.. and Gomez already said he would rather play out west if not in Jersey as he doesn't want to play them a lot

<<< snipped>>
Drury has also indicated a preference for playing out west (at least per the XM guys).

Last edited by HockeyCritter: 06-07-2007 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Combined posts.
Old
06-07-2007, 10:24 AM
HockeyCritter

Quote:

Letís say the Caps sign Yashin to a three-year deal, he certainly could be an important part of a team striving to make the playoffs while a young (to be drafted) center is seasoning in the minors ... and by the time that contract is up, the Caps could insert that young (to be drafted) center into the line-up.

In that sense Yashin would be part of the "cup-contending" team, however, he certainly would play a role in getting the Caps to that point.

Old
06-07-2007, 11:18 AM
OpieAnthony

As an Islander fan, I think Yashin would be a great fit for the Caps. There would be much less pressure in that situation. He is a good player, but he just never lived up to his contract. He is very good for 3-4 million, he was playing like one of best in the league this year before he took a cheap shot to the knee(Matt Bradley).

Also, I never saw him as being lazy. He just isn't very fast. I never thought he was coasting out there. He became a scapegoat for all of the Islanders problems because of the money that he made. If the caps sign him, I guarentee that Caps fans will be happy about it at the end of the season.

We missed the playoffs 7 straight years before we signed him. Made the playoffs 4 out of 5 with him.

OpieAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2007, 11:25 AM
Chain Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCritter View Post
Nothing.

Washington's on par with Boston as a hockey town right now; Neither one being better than the other.

Chain Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2007, 11:58 AM
Kevin Wey

As an NHL hockey town, Boston isn't doing so great; but remember, Boston has Boston U, Boston College, Harvard, and Northeastern (Bean Pot anyone?) at the college ranks, numerous DIII schools in the area, and a lot of junior hockey in the area, and prep and high school hockey. Boston is still one of the great hockey towns, it's just not real thrilled with its NHL team right now. (Do you blame them?)

Remember, the Twin Cities are a hockey Mecca of sorts too, and sometimes support for the North Stars went down as the team did poorly. (The Wild have all sorts of support right now) This happens when you have so many hockey alternatives in the area.

Yashin at $2 million: Please go to the NHLPA's website and look at each team's payrolls and find an NHL center who averages nearly a point per game who is an established veteran player who makes around this figure. The lowest you're going to see is about $4 million or slightly thereunder. Just because Washington has two players over $2 million (how many are in their ELC?), does not mean it's representative of the league's salary structure. Besides, the Capitals' own Brian Pothier makes $2.5 million according to the NHLPA. And Yashin is going to get paid the same as Pothier? Yashin will sign for no lower than $4 million and I would expect him to be higher in the $4 million range up to $5 million. If the Capitals have trouble fielding something better than a glorified AHL roster, then Yashin is not for them.

Also, it's imperative for the Capitals to make improvements NOW, especially to their defense (veteran leadership) otherwise the tremendous talent they have now is going to self-destruct. A team with all the talent the Capitals have in their blueline prospect corps needs some veteran leadership to help them properly develop. It would be an absolute shame if guys like Green, Schultz, and Lepisto are squandered. Even the mid-20's guys like Eminger, Jurcina, and Morrisson could use some upgrades over Pothier, Clymer, Erskine, Heward, and Muir.

This is true for the forwards, too, of course. An NHL team needs quality, veteran leaders (and not just glorified coaches, but players who put up numbers, too, and who aren't on the IR more than they are not) to help bring the kids up right. This is also true at the AHL level, too. Don't think it's important to have those six or seven guys under "veteran" status according to the AHL (260 games at the AHL, IHL, or European Elite League level or higher)? Guess again. Lastly, I don't think Yashin is the lazy player a lot of people try to paint him as. What happened was he was unable to live up to a ridiculous contract. Thank God Vincent Lecavalier isn't held to the "Michael Jordan of hockey" comment.

Washington cannot continue to get by on the cheap and expect to make the most of it's considerable talent amongst its youngsters. Prospect development is one of my favorite things about hockey, and it'd be a tragedy to see what the Capitals have squandered.

Kevin Wey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2007, 12:01 PM
HockeyCritter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpieAnthony View Post
As an Islander fan, I think Yashin would be a great fit for the Caps. There would be much less pressure in that situation. He is a good player, but he just never lived up to his contract. He is very good for 3-4 million, he was playing like one of best in the league this year before he took a cheap shot to the knee(Matt Bradley).

Also, I never saw him as being lazy. He just isn't very fast. I never thought he was coasting out there. He became a scapegoat for all of the Islanders problems because of the money that he made. If the caps sign him, I guarentee that Caps fans will be happy about it at the end of the season.

We missed the playoffs 7 straight years before we signed him. Made the playoffs 4 out of 5 with him.
Why skate fast when you can skate half fast?