HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kovalev coming up short of his goals

Closed Thread

Old
12-22-2003, 02:58 AM
KING

vCash: 500
Kovalev coming up short of his goals

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...p-130856c.html

Old
12-22-2003, 02:59 AM
KING

Kovalev Tries to Break Out of Slump

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...gers-headlines

Old
12-22-2003, 03:03 AM
KING

Rangers: Struggling Kovalev stays positive

http://www.nj.com/rangers/ledger/ind...5979209840.xml

Old
12-22-2003, 01:30 PM
Shadowtron

You solve this problem, you end the playoff drought, IMO. This team has brought players in that have fallen on their faces. To take a line from Rodney Dangerfield, it's like being a one legged man in an a ss kicking contest. It seems that everyone season there is one insurmountable onstacle that stands in our way all season long. And it usually comes at the hands of Free Agents brought in here to lead the Rangers offensive onslaught. These players come in and become offensively sterile. Fluery, Lindros, Nedved (every other season), Hlavac, Kovalev, Carter, Dvorak. etc. etc. I think if you can get players that wants to be here, and are consistent in their output, we'll find ourselves watching this team well into May.

Old
12-23-2003, 04:27 PM
Alex Kovalev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron
I think if you can get players that wants to be here, and are consistent in their output, we'll find ourselves watching this team well into May.

Kovalev wanted to come here, he wanted a long term contract too, hopefully he will get out of the city of New York next year. Hes just a waste of talent on the Rangers. Just like everyother player on the team.

Old
12-23-2003, 04:31 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexei Kovalev
Kovalev wanted to come here, he wanted a long term contract too, hopefully he will get out of the city of New York next year. Hes just a waste of talent on the Rangers. Just like everyother player on the team.
Yea blame the team.

Sorry but that doesn't apply to Kovalev. He's been given every opportunity, gets his 25 minutes, gets his power play time, gets his PK time, gets the good line mates, everything he would need to thrive. He is one guy that needs to be held accountable on this team. His short comings are a result of himself not anyone else, the coaching staff or the team.

Old
12-23-2003, 06:00 PM
NewYorkStranger

Quote:

If he wants to be in New York, he should perform like it. Alex is my favorite hockey player, I love him to death, but he isn't getting the job done at the moment. I believe he will pick it up, and he will be my favorite player long after he leaves, as he was after he left the first time.

If you want to talk about a waste, you should look at the sorry excuse for a franchise you root for. They do not deserve to have a hockey team if your fan base is too pathetic to support it.

Old
12-23-2003, 06:23 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:

Thanks for clearing that up. It seems everytime you post here, it's to sick up some bull spit comment. You have some secret crush on Kovie, that's your business. But the next time you feel like brain farting, please make sure to keep it in your own pit.

I don't care if coming to NY was Kovalev's dying wish. He's not producing at a level that gives reason for the trade. Instead of Kovalev being the hero, coming in a saving the playoff picture, he's a shining example of what's wrong with this team. I know others on the team are to blame, but due to your infatuation with him, I have to single him out. 5 goals is simply unacceptable. You hope he leaves the city? Great!!! The line for that Christmas wish starts in back of me. I hope they trade him and every other fat cat that can collect the big NY dollar, but can't put on the big NY show.

Old
12-23-2003, 08:22 PM
Alex Kovalev

Quote:
Thanks for clearing that up. It seems everytime you post here, it's to sick up some bull spit comment. You have some secret crush on Kovie, that's your business. But the next time you feel like brain farting, please make sure to keep it in your own pit.

I don't care if coming to NY was Kovalev's dying wish. He's not producing at a level that gives reason for the trade. Instead of Kovalev being the hero, coming in a saving the playoff picture, he's a shining example of what's wrong with this team. I know others on the team are to blame, but due to your infatuation with him, I have to single him out. 5 goals is simply unacceptable. You hope he leaves the city? Great!!! The line for that Christmas wish starts in back of me. I hope they trade him and every other fat cat that can collect the big NY dollar, but can't put on the big NY show.

I agree with most of the comments made about his underacheiving season. I dont know, the only thing you rangers are truely good at is ruining good players. Look at the talent you have, and not one of them are producing better then they did before they came to New York. Whats wrong with this picture?

Old
12-23-2003, 08:36 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Quote:
I agree with most of the comments made about his underacheiving season. I dont know, the only thing you rangers are truely good at is ruining good players. Look at the talent you have, and not one of them are producing better then they did before they came to New York. Whats wrong with this picture?
What a cop out, can you be more ignorant?

Keep rooting for those Pens!

Last edited by #37-#93-#27*: 12-23-2003 at 08:45 PM.
Old
12-23-2003, 10:19 PM
NewYorkStranger

Quote:

As if "we" are rangers or "we" are coaching the team. Your just a troll and a loser. Your team sucks, Mario is and always was, a crybaby sissy that cant take a hit. Your fan base sucks (including you, you suck the worst) dont go to games and dont support their team.

The rangers have not been in the playoffs for many years and still have a loyal following, unlike the group of fair-weathered fans that (dont)support your fine-feathered team. Do the world a favor, the next time your looking out of the window of your trailer home, depressed, wishing life itself would end since your fantasy lover, Alexei, is in new york, take the sleeping pills, all of them.

Old
12-23-2003, 11:01 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkStranger
As if "we" are rangers or "we" are coaching the team. Your just a troll and a loser. .
Quote:
Your team sucks, Mario is and always was, a crybaby sissy that cant take a hit. Your fan base sucks (including you, you suck the worst) dont go to games and dont support their team.
Pot, kettle.

Quote:
The rangers have not been in the playoffs for many years and still have a loyal following,
New York is a different market. There's what, 20 million people in the surrounding area?

Nevermind. It's not worth my time.

Last edited by Jacob: 12-23-2003 at 11:04 PM.
Old
12-23-2003, 11:27 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2
New York is a different market. There's what, 20 million people in the surrounding area?
There is?

Old
12-23-2003, 11:33 PM
NewYorkStranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2
Pot, kettle.

Nevermind. It's not worth my time.
Your right, its not worth your time, the penguins arent worthy of nhl status, and not worth the time of the "fans" in pittsburgh, who have no problem supporting a football team, so population doesnt seem to be an issue.

We also support 4 teams in this area, not one. So you can take your boyfriend moderator home to the trailer yard, hold each other and sob, while dreaming about Alexei.

Old
12-24-2003, 12:51 AM
Jacob

See ya.

Old
12-24-2003, 02:43 AM
iagreewithidiots

Come on guys whats the need for all this?

I agree with all of you.

Somehow players seem to fall off when they play for the Rangers. There doesnt seem to be any reason for it.

Pittsburgh fans are fairweather. Its a one horse town, if it aint the Stilllers it sucks.

Old
12-24-2003, 06:52 AM
#37-#93-#27*

Quote:
Originally Posted by iagreewithidiots
I agree with all of you.
classic name

Old
12-24-2003, 07:19 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by #37-#93-#27
classic name

I thought that comment was great after reading his name.

a classic for sure.

Old
12-24-2003, 07:24 AM
pld459666

What most of these players need, Alexi being one of them, is a place where there's no pressure to succeed.

Yes, there is pressure in all walks of life, but in some areas there's more of the spotlight and Alexi seems to shrink under it.

It's not such a bad thing, just something that should be recognized and corrected.

Fast.

There's others on this team, infact the main guys are the ones that can't get it done But since this an Alexi thread I figure I'd use him as the example.

Old
12-24-2003, 07:32 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
You solve this problem, you end the playoff drought, IMO. This team has brought players in that have fallen on their faces. To take a line from Rodney Dangerfield, it's like being a one legged man in an a ss kicking contest. It seems that everyone season there is one insurmountable onstacle that stands in our way all season long. And it usually comes at the hands of Free Agents brought in here to lead the Rangers offensive onslaught. These players come in and become offensively sterile. Fluery, Lindros, Nedved (every other season), Hlavac, Kovalev, Carter, Dvorak. etc. etc. I think if you can get players that wants to be here, and are consistent in their output, we'll find ourselves watching this team well into May.
I disagree with some of your post. Yes, there is obviously some kind of "Blueshirt effect" that sucks the talent out of any players from another team who dons the Rangers jersey, the only exceptions being Mark Messier and Adam Graves if memory serves me correctly.

But despite the inconcistent production up front, the Rangers' main problem hasn't been scoring goals, it's giving them up. Kovalev never should have been re-acquired. Even when he was productive for the Penguins, he was always lax in his defensive responsibilities. The Rangers look a little better defensively because Dunham continually has to stand on his head to save games, but they're not much better in their own end than they have been in years past, despite Renney and Sather's talk of a "system." Yeah, right...

Kovalev is the kind of player the Rangers have been too fond of and acquired too many times--a speedy, fancy goal-scorer. The management is too blind by the fact that the players who have done the most for them are gritty players who get their nose dirty in front of the net and in the corners. Barnaby, Simon, Holik. They should be using players like THIS as the blueprint, not players like Kovalev and Bure.

Old
12-24-2003, 10:44 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican
I disagree with some of your post. Yes, there is obviously some kind of "Blueshirt effect" that sucks the talent out of any players from another team who dons the Rangers jersey, the only exceptions being Mark Messier and Adam Graves if memory serves me correctly.

But despite the inconcistent production up front, the Rangers' main problem hasn't been scoring goals, it's giving them up. Kovalev never should have been re-acquired. Even when he was productive for the Penguins, he was always lax in his defensive responsibilities. The Rangers look a little better defensively because Dunham continually has to stand on his head to save games, but they're not much better in their own end than they have been in years past, despite Renney and Sather's talk of a "system." Yeah, right...

Kovalev is the kind of player the Rangers have been too fond of and acquired too many times--a speedy, fancy goal-scorer. The management is too blind by the fact that the players who have done the most for them are gritty players who get their nose dirty in front of the net and in the corners. Barnaby, Simon, Holik. They should be using players like THIS as the blueprint, not players like Kovalev and Bure.

As always...great post.

I agree 100% with you. The defense definitely needs to be tightened. But I think that when the Rangers are firing on all cylinders, the defense falls into place. When the front end isn't working, it exposing the back end, because the puck is constantly in the defensive zone. I don't think our defense is horrifying...of course, it needs work, without question, but I think that if the players who were brought to produce actually did so, the complexion of this team would be vastly altered. When the Rangers had the little run earlier in the season they were only giving up a goal or two, and scoring 4-5.
So, I think, that if you solve the problem with players coming in a falling way short of expectations you solve the playoff drought. IMHO.

Old
12-24-2003, 10:51 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:

Honestly, I think there's entirely too much pressure to produce in NYC. The pro of playing in this city is being able to remain anonymous when the game is over, unlike Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, where the fans hole the game in an entirely different light. However, the media can be crushing, and there's very little margin for error when the team is good, let alone when it has a 6 year old monkey on its back.
I don't want to say that the Rangers "ruin good players", but should exercise a little more prudence when selecting the ones they want in a blueshirt. Star names put a lot of money in cash registers, but aren't always going to win you hockey games.

Old
12-24-2003, 11:04 AM
Alex Kovalev

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkStranger
As if "we" are rangers or "we" are coaching the team. Your just a troll and a loser. Your team sucks, Mario is and always was, a crybaby sissy that cant take a hit. Your fan base sucks (including you, you suck the worst) dont go to games and dont support their team.

The rangers have not been in the playoffs for many years and still have a loyal following, unlike the group of fair-weathered fans that (dont)support your fine-feathered team. Do the world a favor, the next time your looking out of the window of your trailer home, depressed, wishing life itself would end since your fantasy lover, Alexei, is in new york, take the sleeping pills, all of them.

Hey man, I never once made fun of anybody. I guess the only way you can prove a point is by being ignorant and mocking people. Your the one starting all the smartass coments.

I am only trying to add to the conversation.

Old
12-24-2003, 11:06 AM
Alex Kovalev

Quote:
Honestly, I think there's entirely too much pressure to produce in NYC. The pro of playing in this city is being able to remain anonymous when the game is over, unlike Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, where the fans hole the game in an entirely different light. However, the media can be crushing, and there's very little margin for error when the team is good, let alone when it has a 6 year old monkey on its back.
I don't want to say that the Rangers "ruin good players", but should exercise a little more prudence when selecting the ones they want in a blueshirt. Star names put a lot of money in cash registers, but aren't always going to win you hockey games.

Nice Post.

Old
12-24-2003, 02:01 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

The only thing Alex is not doing is putting the puck in the net. I'm serious about that.
He leads the team in assists and controls the puck along the boards in the offensive zone and behind the net BETTER than any other Ranger.

He's always overhandled the puck. He's always had his fair share of giveaways. This is nothing new.

With the exception of Holik he is our strongest forward and does not shy away from physical contact.

I think his shooting percentage is less than 50 percent of what it was in Pittsburgh. This ain't because he's lazy. I'm at a loss to explain it. But it's not due to a lack of effort.

Last edited by klingsor: 12-24-2003 at 02:05 PM.
Closed Thread