Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Congrats Selanne

Old
06-07-2007, 11:02 AM
Phenomenon

vCash: 500
Seeing Teemu lifting the cup was a very emotional situation. His career has been awesome and he deserved this as much as Ray B some years ago. What is also brilliant is that he won the cup with the team in which he really wanted to do that. He could have had more money elsewhere, but he chose to play in Anaheim and wanted to help the team become greater.

I wish that he does not retire yet, because he is still one of the best players of the game. However, I do understand that he does not want leave an impression of a once-flash veteran and knows that if this was his last game, people will always remember him as a true winner...and yes - it was cool that Teemu and Carlyle won the cup together.

I also bet my money that Teemu will settle down into Anaheim and only his second will be in Finland. He'd have to play another career to be able to pay all the taxes for those luxury cars in his garage, if he wanted to bring them here.

Phenomenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2007, 11:32 AM
Larkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
The best olympic national teams are vastly better than the best NHL teams. And in Europe, I'd bet more kids dream of standing there, hearing your national anthem ring when you get a olympic gold medal playing for your country, than of getting your name on a stanley cup in a far off country, playing far away from where your heart is.
Thats BS. All the kids dream about Stanley Cup finals and game 7 overtime, when they score the winning goal and lift the cup. As Teemu said, Olympic Medal is won in one game, Stanley need little more than that...

Larkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2007, 01:03 PM
-Miikka-*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
The best olympic national teams are vastly better than the best NHL teams. And in Europe, I'd bet more kids dream of standing there, hearing your national anthem ring when you get a olympic gold medal playing for your country, than of getting your name on a stanley cup in a far off country, playing far away from where your heart is.
I would hardly say vastly better.
Anaheim would do pretty damn well against every nation...
They play together for a year and an olympic team cather together for a little more than two weeks. In that time you really don't make team, that would beat easily any other team.

-Miikka-* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2007, 01:11 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkin View Post
Thats BS. All the kids dream about Stanley Cup finals and game 7 overtime, when they score the winning goal and lift the cup. As Teemu said, Olympic Medal is won in one game, Stanley need little more than that...
Listening to his post-game comments, it sounds more like he would have preferred an Olympic gold.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2007, 01:24 PM
Phenomenon

Quote:
Originally Posted by obobo23 View Post
Listening to his post-game comments, it sounds more like he would have preferred an Olympic gold.
According to comments for the Finnish media he thought that SC is the biggest thing to win.

Phenomenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2007, 01:28 PM
-Miikka-*

Quote:
Weird. In finnish he told that he've been losing many big games like the olympic final, world cup final, and the worldchampionship final...but now he's there and has won the most important trophy that a hockeyplayer can win.

Old
06-07-2007, 01:32 PM
Spiral

I'm SO HAPPY for you, Teemu!

Spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2007, 01:33 PM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

one of my all-time favourites, great to see him finally hoist it.

hockeyfan125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2007, 01:36 PM
Awayboardn

Send a message via AIM to Awayboardn
Congrat to Teemu and the Ducks....great season...I was almost crying when I saw Teemu crying....I love hockey!!!!! can't wait for next season to start already!!!!

Awayboardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2007, 01:53 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Miikka- View Post
Weird. In finnish he told that he've been losing many big games like the olympic final, world cup final, and the worldchampionship final...but now he's there and has won the most important trophy that a hockeyplayer can win.
Well if you look at the press conference (on NBC sports) you can see the video where they ask him if it would have haunted him to not have gotten a cup in his career. Your quote sounds like a translation of that answer.

He answers about his individual success first, but then his first mention about team awards is how he's been so close but lost to Olympic, World Cup, and World championships, and it has never happened. He then pauses and talks about the Stanley Cup like you said.

I'm probably reading too much into it, but he sounds pretty disappointed at not winning the other things, especially as he talks about them first.

Old
06-07-2007, 02:20 PM
Juni

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatuu View Post
Just wondering if everyone has a youtube or something of that moment, when he lifts the cup.. I'd die for that stuff, I was trying to stay awake but the game started at 3AM my local time and I just.. couldn't.. stay awake.. so miss this, gah!

Teemu deserved it. He really did, this is gonna make the whole of Finland smile.
If nobody's done it in a few hours I'll try and get it done for you.

Absolute class act, extremely happy for him.

Juni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2007, 02:27 PM
caliamad

I think Selanne said he'd only come back if he's still got the desire to keep himself in shape, competitive, go through the grind etc.

I know winning the cup makes the decision to come back tougher, but if he's still got that drive I think he'll be back.

For a fan, as I watched the game wind down, the thought of never seeing him again hit me pretty hard, so I hope he comes back, but you never know. I would not blame him for retiring.

caliamad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2007, 02:42 PM
-Miikka-*

Quote:
Well if you look at the press conference (on NBC sports) you can see the video where they ask him if it would have haunted him to not have gotten a cup in his career. Your quote sounds like a translation of that answer.

He answers about his individual success first, but then his first mention about team awards is how he's been so close but lost to Olympic, World Cup, and World championships, and it has never happened. He then pauses and talks about the Stanley Cup like you said.

I'm probably reading too much into it, but he sounds pretty disappointed at not winning the other things, especially as he talks about them first.
Haven't seen the press conference. Just his interviews in finnish.
But you're kinda right.
Of course he is disappointed for not winning the other trophies too.
Those losses were extremly bitter and everyone else playing his level would be as disappointed by the defeats as he is.
Think he was just going through his long career by talking about the losses and wanted to make clear how important this win was for him.
I'm sure he is very reliefed now when he can end his career on the highest level.
And he is definitely thinking if the Ducks can make two in a row.
I think there's a big chance to see Selanne working out hard again in July, if all the other Ducks do the same and stay in Anaheim.
He's been tellin for this whole year in the finnish media, that he is living his best time as hockey player right now.
For sure it's not easy to quit when you have a team like now around you.

Old
06-07-2007, 02:58 PM
ninetyeight

the point is that teemu was so close winning those olympics, worldcups and worldchampionships, that's why it feels so bad. but this was pretty much the first time he had really a change to win the cup, and he did it.

i'm sure winning the olympic gold or wc is amazing, i only said i think it's a lot harder to win the stanley cup. because there are so many games more, you can't just be good in 6 or so games..

i also agree that stanley cup winning team can easily win a big national team, cause they play so well together.

ninetyeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2007, 03:27 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

I am so glad to see Selanne win the cup. My eyes became teary when I saw him and Andy on the bench. I just hope that his career isn't over. We want more from him in Anaheim. i know he wants to retire a champion, but it's hard to say goodbye to a guy who has done so much for this team, not to mention putting 48 goals in last season. Congrats Teemu!

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2007, 03:34 PM
Larkin

Yeah obobo you are misreading Teemu. He said in finnish after the game and in english that he has been so close to winning, world champion, olympic and world cup, but itĘs all gone now as he has won the biggest thing a hockey player can win.

Listen what the player says, you were just assuming what he feels. And he said that Olympic gold can be win in one game and because of all the hard work u have to put to win Stanley, that's why it's the number 1 trophy.

Larkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2007, 03:48 PM
Jerky Leclerc

Its funny how some players are hanging on when they should retire. Selanne has so much game left that it is incredible he would even consider retirement. IMO, Teemu can play at least two more seasons and be a top 10 scorer in this league. With the Ducks winning the cup and having the young legs to repeat, Teemu needs to come back. There is no reason why he shouldn't.

Jerky Leclerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2007, 03:57 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Best hockey moment in my life was watching Teemu raise the cup. Congrats and please stay another year!

Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2007, 05:27 PM
Juni

There you go, Teemu lifting the Cup.

Included everything before it just to pad the vid out etc.

Juni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2007, 05:33 PM
Hawerchuk10

The Finnish FLASH....

Teemu deserved it. I watched him rack 'em up in his rookie season with the JETS at the ol' Buffalo Memorial AUD, when Salenne and Alex Mogilny dueled that year with 76 goals each.

CONGRATULATIONS TEEMU!

Last edited by Hawerchuk10: 06-07-2007 at 06:21 PM.
Hawerchuk10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2007, 05:33 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

I still get a kick out of how Bettman doesn't want to let go, and Scotty has to rip it out of his hands. Like a father on wedding day or something.

Old
06-07-2007, 07:02 PM
hockey lover

That's pretty funny anyway I'm so happy for teemu and i hope he comes back next year and dosen't retire

hockey lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2008, 02:29 AM
-Miikka-*

Happy I was right!
So nice to see Teemu back.
Wish you all the best for the big games