HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > All other USA Amateur, USHL, NAHL, USNTDP etc.
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Tony Curtale will not be back for Texas

Old
06-07-2007, 03:46 PM
Tornado OS

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Tornado OS
Tony Curtale will not be back for Texas

From the Tornado Web Site.

Tony Curtale, Head Coach of the Texas Tornado hockey team of the North American Hockey League, will not be returning for the 2007-08 season.

Curtale began coaching the Tornado during their inaugural season in 1999, and later followed the team in 2003 when the Tornado was acquired by Bob and Kirby Schlegel and moved to their current home at the Dr Pepper StarCenter in Frisco, Texas. During his eight years with the Tornado, Curtale led the team to three USA Hockey National Championships, Four NAHL Robertson Cup Championships, and seven consecutive NAHL Division Championships from 1999-2006.

"Tony Curtale has been instrumental in the on-ice success of the Tornado over the last eight years," said Tornado Owner Kirby Schlegel. "Tony’s hard work and dedication to this organization and its players was a key to bringing three National Championships to Frisco, and we continue to remain committed to the same winning tradition that has been established."

Tornado OS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2007, 06:28 PM
Yeti
HFBoards Partner

I've heard his name mentioned as a possible replacement for Steve Johnson, former head coach of the Lincoln Stars (USHL). Johnson recently quit the Stars after coaching them for 11 years. Supposedly the list of coaching candidates is a long one....a former NHL head coach has applied, according to the Stars website. But Curtale was a name I've heard.

Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2007, 11:21 PM
derbyfan

Just out of interest, does anyone know what a good coach like Curtale would make in the NAHL? How about a coach in the USHL?
I'm assuming this is their full time job, so I'm wondering about compensation.

derbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 12:11 AM
Tornado OS

The Tornado have hired a new Head Coach and Assistant Coach.

Dwight Mullins is the new Head Coach - formerly of the Dallas Stars AAA Midget Team.

The New Assistant Coach is Craig Ludwig - Former NHL Defenseman. Craig was the assistant coach for the Dallas Stars AAA Midget Team for the last 3 years also.

Old
06-20-2007, 11:28 AM
Intern

According to a guy who used to post on USCHO, Curtale was considered for the AHL job in Iowa. Not that I believe him.

Intern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 03:46 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado OS View Post
The New Assistant Coach is Craig Ludwig - Former NHL Defenseman. Craig was the assistant coach for the Dallas Stars AAA Midget Team for the last 3 years also.
That makes sense because I know that Craig's been heavily involved in promoting hockey at the grassroots level in Texas for quite sometime. Good for him.

Tornado, do you think the Mullins hiring was a good one for the team or do you feel that maybe Ludwig or another guy might have been a better candidate? If so, who?

Yeti: Yeah, I read/heard that too. Do you or anyone else have the update on Lincoln coaching situation? (my apologies if this is the wrong thread for this question)

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 07:28 PM
Tornado OS

Dwight is a fantastic coach, He played here with the Fort Worth Fire of the CHL and was part of the team that won the Championship in 97 here. Then went on to coaching, He has done really well with the Midget Stars. As far as Ludwig, I know he doesnt really want the head coach headaches, he is a teacher of the game, and a very good one.
I really think with the next few years you will see a lot more kids from the DFW area start making impacts in junior hockey and will start being recruited more here. This is cause of the growth of hockey here. Tony Curtale, Craig Ludwig, Dwight Mullins, NAHL Commissioner Mark Frankenfeld have not only promoted the game here, but also been so involved in the teaching of the game to the kids for the last 8 years. We are already seeing a few of the kids making impacts, Dave McKee is from this area. The list is getting longer and longer every year.

Old
06-20-2007, 08:06 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado OS View Post
Dwight is a fantastic coach, He played here with the Fort Worth Fire of the CHL and was part of the team that won the Championship in 97 here. Then went on to coaching, He has done really well with the Midget Stars. As far as Ludwig, I know he doesnt really want the head coach headaches, he is a teacher of the game, and a very good one.
I really think with the next few years you will see a lot more kids from the DFW area start making impacts in junior hockey and will start being recruited more here. This is cause of the growth of hockey here. Tony Curtale, Craig Ludwig, Dwight Mullins, NAHL Commissioner Mark Frankenfeld have not only promoted the game here, but also been so involved in the teaching of the game to the kids for the last 8 years. We are already seeing a few of the kids making impacts, Dave McKee is from this area. The list is getting longer and longer every year.

Well my friend, you don't have to convince me that Texas is producing more and more quality players because I'm well aware of it and I'm already seeing it in just the college ranks alone. I've also been saying for quite some time. I think the problem here is that many people either just don't get it or choose to ignore the facts. Which IMO is both sad and pathetic.

As for Mullins, I'm glad to see that the Tornado will be getting another great coach. I thought Curtale did one heckuva of a job with the team in not only building it into an NAHL powerhouse but also developing some top-notch kids. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing what Mullins with the team.

Old
06-20-2007, 08:09 PM
Yeti
HFBoards Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post
Yeti: Yeah, I read/heard that too. Do you or anyone else have the update on Lincoln coaching situation? (my apologies if this is the wrong thread for this question)
From what I've heard, these are a few of the names being considered:

Chad Johnson: Younger brother of former Stars head coach Steve Johnson. Current head coach of the Fargo team in the NAHL. Was the assistant coach for the Stars for a couple of years back in the late 90's.

Jim McGroarty: Current assistant coach of the Stars. Very familiar with the players, and with the front office and management.

Steve Miller: Current assistant coach at Denver University. I don't know much about him, and I suspect he's not one of the favorites.

Eddie Olczyk: Former NHL head coach of the Pittsburgh Penguins. The Stars website mentioned recently that a former NHL head coach applied for the position, and the rumor is that it's Olczyk. His son Eddie plays in the USHL (Sioux City).

If I had to guess, I think the top two candidates are Johnson and McGroarty. If I had to bet, I'd put my money on McGroarty.

Old
06-20-2007, 08:22 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
From what I've heard, these are a few of the names being considered:

Chad Johnson: Younger brother of former Stars head coach Steve Johnson. Current head coach of the Fargo team in the NAHL. Was the assistant coach for the Stars for a couple of years back in the late 90's.

Jim McGroarty: Current assistant coach of the Stars. Very familiar with the players, and with the front office and management.

Steve Miller: Current assistant coach at Denver University. I don't know much about him, and I suspect he's not one of the favorites.

Eddie Olczyk: Former NHL head coach of the Pittsburgh Penguins. The Stars website mentioned recently that a former NHL head coach applied for the position, and the rumor is that it's Olczyk. His son Eddie plays in the USHL (Sioux City).

If I had to guess, I think the top two candidates are Johnson and McGroarty. If I had to bet, I'd put my money on McGroarty.

Pretty good list. Thanks.

BTW, I wouldn't sell Miller too short. He's a pretty good assistant at DU and has a darn good eye for talent. However, I'm sure that George Gwozdecky wouldn't be thrilled at the prospect of losing another member of his coaching staff, since he lost Seth Appert to RPI last summer.

Old
06-27-2007, 10:21 AM
CrazyEddie20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intern View Post
According to a guy who used to post on USCHO, Curtale was considered for the AHL job in Iowa. Not that I believe him.
Who, Big Ten Larry? It's better if you don't believe him. His being an off-ice official makes him think he's an insider.

CrazyEddie20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2007, 04:45 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Fyi...

Jim McGroarty got the Lincoln job. You can read all about it HERE.

Old
07-05-2007, 10:51 AM
derbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post
Jim McGroarty got the Lincoln job. You can read all about it HERE.
Former Streetsville Derby. Way to go Jim, this is a huge step.

Old
07-05-2007, 12:38 PM
Yeti
HFBoards Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbyfan View Post
Former Streetsville Derby. Way to go Jim, this is a huge step.
Jimmy is very well liked here in Lincoln. I was hoping he'd get the job. I had the opportunity to meet him a few times last season, and he's a very personable guy. The kids really, really loved him. I think that's probably the main reason the Stars management took a chance on Jimmy....quite a number of current, and former Stars players recommended him for the job. He's not a "big name" that some folks here were wanting, but he's earned it. He's going to work like crazy to prove himself.

Old
07-05-2007, 04:38 PM
derbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
Jimmy is very well liked here in Lincoln. I was hoping he'd get the job. I had the opportunity to meet him a few times last season, and he's a very personable guy. The kids really, really loved him. I think that's probably the main reason the Stars management took a chance on Jimmy....quite a number of current, and former Stars players recommended him for the job. He's not a "big name" that some folks here were wanting, but he's earned it. He's going to work like crazy to prove himself.
From what I understand he was well liked as a teammate in Streetsville back in the day as well.
Yeti, I posed this question earlier but got no response: What is the coaching salary range in the USHL? What could a guy like Mcgroarty hope to make in his first year as a head coach?

Old
07-05-2007, 06:04 PM
Yeti
HFBoards Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbyfan View Post
From what I understand he was well liked as a teammate in Streetsville back in the day as well.
Yeti, I posed this question earlier but got no response: What is the coaching salary range in the USHL? What could a guy like Mcgroarty hope to make in his first year as a head coach?
Geez, I wish I knew. Let me ask around....I regularly post on a few USHL message boards...I'll see what I can find out.

Old
07-22-2007, 06:47 PM
starsfan24
#17 "Keep Rollin"

vCash: 995
That stinks cuz he was an awesum coach

starsfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote